Clif Bar Product Recall
by unknown unknown
Clif Bar & Company today announced a voluntary recall of CLIF® and LUNA® branded bars that contain peanut butter because the products have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products contain peanut butter manufactured by Peanut Corporation of America (PCA). PCA is the focus of an investigation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) concerning a recent Salmonella outbreak thought to be caused by tainted peanut butter.
In the U.S., the following Clif Bar & Company products with “Best By/Sell By” dates ranging as shown below, in all sizes and packages, are included in the recall:
- CLIF BAR Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch BEST BY/SELL BY: 21JUN09 to 01OCT09 and 03NOV09 to 28NOV09
- CLIF BAR Crunchy Peanut Butter BEST BY/SELL BY: 21JUN09 to 01OCT09 and 03NOV09 to 28NOV09
- CLIF BAR Peanut Toffee Buzz BEST BY/SELL BY: 13SEP09
- CLIF Builder’s Peanut Butter SELL BY: 19JUL09 to 30SEP09 and 05NOV09 to 18NOV09
- CLIF Kid Organic ZBaR Peanut Butter BEST BY: 07JUL09 to 05SEP09 and 12NOV09
- LUNA Nutz Over Chocolate BEST BY: 29JUL09 to 03OCT09 and 11NOV09 to 14NOV09
- LUNA Peanut Butter Cookie BEST BY: 02OCT09 to 03OCT09 and 11NOV09 to 14NOV09
- MOJO Honey Roasted Peanut BEST BY: 30APR09 to 21JUN09
- MOJO Mixed Nuts BEST BY: 30APR09 to 21JUN09
- MOJO Mountain Mix BEST BY: 30APR09 to 21JUN09
- MOJO Peanut Butter Pretzel BEST BY: 30APR09 to 21JUN09
- MOJO Dipped Chocolate Peanut BEST BY: 30APR09 - 21JUN09
- MOJO Dipped Peanut Butter and Jelly BEST BY: 30APR09 - 21JUN09
- MOJO Dipped Fruit and Nut BEST BY: 30APR09 - 21JUN09
These products were sold in grocery, warehouse and other retail stores throughout the United States. No other CLIF or LUNA products or flavors are included in this United States recall.
Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis. For more information on Salmonella, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Web site at http://www.cdc.gov/ or call 800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636).
Consumers who have purchased the recalled products are urged to destroy them but retain the “Best By/Sell By” code found on the back of the package. Consumers with questions or who would like a refund may contact Clif Bar & Company at 1-800-CLIFBAR (1-800-254-3227). Details also can be found at www.clifbar.com.
“With an abundance of caution and given the FDA’s ongoing investigation of PCA, we’re doing all we can to ensure consumer safety and trust,” said Gary Erickson, owner and founder of Clif Bar & Company.
About Clif Bar & Company Clif Bar & Company (http://www.clifbar.com) is a leading maker of all-natural and organic energy and nutrition foods and drinks, including the CLIF® BAR energy bar and LUNA®, The Whole Nutrition Bar for Women®. Focused on great food and sustainability, Clif Bar & Company works diligently to reduce its footprint on the planet from the field to the final product.