Forums: Climbing Information: General: Re: [kellaro] Exposure to climbing chalk: Edit Log




guanoboy


Feb 8, 2008, 11:05 AM

Views: 5712

Registered: Jan 1, 2004
Posts: 244

Re: [kellaro] Exposure to climbing chalk
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

MgCO3 is a fairly insoluble salt, but it will dissolve to some degree in water and in slightly acid conditions it should form Mg ions (a micronutrient) and bicarbonate (HCO3-). As an aside this bicarbonate may help buffer any lactic acid buildup that may be occurring during the workout. I'm not sure how quickly or how much chalk will dissolve in the lungs, but my guess is that the lungs are slightly acidic b/c the CO2 will form a weak acid in solution and help the above reaction allowing Mg to be absorbed into the blood. This dissolution, I'm guessing would prevent lung damage b/c it is the physical irritation of a particulate that causes problems (asbestos also punctures tissues initiating a damage response in lung tissues - scarring).

This is from a biology/chemistry perspective. Any second opinions from medical doctors out there?


(This post was edited by guanoboy on Feb 8, 2008, 11:56 AM)



Edit Log:
Post edited by guanoboy () on Feb 8, 2008, 11:56 AM


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?