2011 - Year in Review.:
Dec 22, 2011, 6:18 AM
Registered: Nov 19, 2002
With the year winding down and 2012 looming, itís come that time to think about the year we had and what we look to accomplish over the next 12 months. I have done a thread like this before, but one new thing I kept track of this year, was number of days climbing. Combined ice and rock days, I averaged just over 1 day per week. Not bad, but Iíd like to get out even more next year. I didnít have my strongest year, although I did start to turn it on a little in the Fall. Here are my stats. Some of itís spray. You were warned.
- The Gunks, NY
- North Conway, NH
- Rumney, NH
- Cannon Mt., NH
- Acadia, ME
- Farley ledges, MA
- Rose Ledge, MA
- Ragged Mt., CT
- Tuolumne Meadows, CA
- Red Rocks, NV
- San Diego, CA
- Kinsman Notch, NH
- Champney Falls, NH
Number of Days out
- Rock - 50 days
- Ice - 6 days
Best sends (This may or may not be your hardest sends in each discipline, but your most proudest. As we all know, grades are subjective). Feel free to add a bouldering and/or ice category.
- Trad onsight: I couldnít choose just one, so here are some climbs I am particularly proud of: The West Pillar of Einchorn Pinnacle, 5.9, Tuolumne. Crescent Arch, 5.10b, Tuolumne. Ethereal Crack, 5.10d, Cathedral Ledge. Perhaps my proudest though, is VMC direct direct, although we had to bail due to a slower party, but I onsighted everything up through the fifth pitch.
- Trad redpoint: Carbs and Caffeine, 5.11a, The Gunks
- Sport onsight: Wedgie, 5.12a, Red Rocks
- Sport redpoint: Technosurfing, 5.12b, Rumney
- None to speak of. Except maybe to my ego from time to time.
- My favorite of course is my lovely wife, Tiffany, aka WonderWoman. I also climbed with Max, Rob, Reggie, Tim, Mike, Jay and Jake (I hope Iím not forgetting anyone). This does not include numerous gym partners.
- This was my first season getting out more than once on ice, so I would like to think I picked up a bunch of skills there. Other than that I didnít really try to learn anything new this year. I just wanted to climb.
- Ice climbing boots. La Sportiva Eno Nepal
- Link Cams
- Blown Away, 5.9, Tuolumne Meadows
- Crescent Arch, 5.10b, Tuolumne Meadows
- VMC direct direct, 5.10 +, Cannon Mt.
- West Pillar, 5.9, Tuolumne Meadows
- Unimpeachable Groping, 5.10b, Red Rocks
- Carbs and Caffeine, 5.11a, The Gunks
Most Memorable moment(s)
- Topping out on Einchorn Pinnacle with Tiff was pretty cool.
- Totally blowing the approach to Levitation 29, taking 6.5 hours to get to the base.
- Pitch 3 of VMC direct direct. It was SO good, I almost cried.
- Easily redpointing Carbs and Caffeine and thinking that maybe I am ready to attempt Yellow Wall.
Goals for Next Year
- Attempt Yellow Wall
- Go to Thailand
- Starting training for the Nose
- Finish the last few pitches of VMC direct direct
Come spray with me!
eidted to add: Goals for next year.
(This post was edited by blueeyedclimber on Dec 23, 2011, 4:30 AM)