Jan 14, 2013, 9:34 AM
Registered: Apr 26, 2007
If the climber himself can make such a confusing account of the accident, I think it is no wonder that newspaper reporters can have a hard time to get the facts correct.
How I read it:
* The climber led the first picth, made 3-piece anchor, belayed second up to ledge.
* The party believes the route continues far to the right on a big ledge, so the anchor is disassembled and they move to where they believe it continues (ledge apparently big enough so no belay needed)
* On closer look, it seems the route doesn't continue from there after all, so they return to the original place, this time only placing one cam, which the belayer clips into.
* Some bolts are spotted to the left, but for some reason the leader tries to go to the right, placing a bad nut, then commits to a hold, which breaks.
* Both pieces pop and both climbers fall down from the ledge.
EDIT: Posted the same time as Healyje, I think that is exactly what happened
(This post was edited by JAB on Jan 14, 2013, 9:37 AM)