Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
mad rock shoes
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All


porkchop_express


Dec 17, 2006, 3:58 PM
Post #51 of 87 (2004 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 17, 2006
Posts: 62

Re: [curt] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I dont mean to butt in here, seeing how i have little authority to weigh in on the ethical issues being perused here, i just wanted to share that i have a pair of mad rock phoenixes, and theyre working out for me as a quazi-n00b, and i just bought a pair of La Sportiva Barracudas. They were twice as much, so i hope they dont suck.

Ethically speaking, (sorry, i couldnt help myself) i see it as being sort of like a person liking metallica. We can all agree that as people they are pretty lame (with all the napster stuff and selling out their fans) but its hard to argue the fact that they have written some catchy tunes.

in any case, this is way better than myspace. carry on!


curt


Dec 17, 2006, 5:33 PM
Post #52 of 87 (1991 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [akaerik21] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Now, for a post that's actually on topic. I think Mad Rock makes a terrific shoe for the money. Their Formula 5 rubber is perhaps the stickiest climbing shoe rubber on the market at higher temperature ranges. Whereas various tests have shown most climbing shoe rubber (C4, Vibram, etc.) to have maximum friction at around 50 degrees, F, the Mad Rock rubber has maximal friction in the 65 to 85 degree F range.

I particularly like the new, redesigned (gray colored) Mad Rock Phoenix shoe. They are extremely comfortable, slightly more aggressive than the old Phoenix and don't turn my feet yellow. They're a great all-around shoe, and work well on friction, pockets, edges and most anything else--at least up through V8 and 5.12 climbing. Beyond that, you'll have to ask someone else.

Curt


painter


Dec 17, 2006, 7:46 PM
Post #53 of 87 (1970 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 29, 2006
Posts: 14

Re: [curt] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I love it, this is the thread that made me want to post. The irony of two trash talkers battleing it out while some dude just wants to know which pair of shoes would be best. Maybe someday he can be cool enough to talk trash on an internet forum.
And, if you search for mad rock on the forums, there are like 150 pages of crap on mad rock shoes.
Just buy some shoes and climb, man! I just blew the toe out of my mad rocks, and on a whim, I tried on my girlfriends shoes. She has way smaller feet then mine, and I snugged right into them with my toes all curled under how I like them, and I was like
"you can climb in these?" She was like "yeah, don't stretch them out!"
I had know idea, and I think she is a good climber. I think it's what you like, and you've got to figure it out on your own.
For real.


curt


Dec 17, 2006, 8:14 PM
Post #54 of 87 (1964 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [painter] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

painter wrote:
...Maybe someday he can be cool enough to talk trash on an internet forum...

Perhaps he will even end up adding the same kind of valuable content here that you have. Who knows?

Curt


yokese


Dec 18, 2006, 7:28 PM
Post #55 of 87 (1924 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 17, 2006
Posts: 672

Re: mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is what I answered in a similar thread.
So, yeah, in my opinion MadRocks are as good as any other brand for a first pair of shoes*. Unless your roommate is a gifted climber he probably won't notice a big difference in performance at the beginning regardless the brand or model.


* which obviously does NOT necessarily imply that they are NOT good for advanced climbers.... just to avoid misunderstandings.


(This post was edited by yokese on Dec 18, 2006, 7:34 PM)


mtcarney


Dec 20, 2006, 8:50 AM
Post #56 of 87 (1894 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 17, 2006
Posts: 9

Re: [curt] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
jimdavis wrote:
...It's only slander if it isn't true...everything I've bought up about Joe can be seen publicly on these boards. As to your friends climbing everything I can in swimming fins...right. THAT'S not slanderous or anything...dipshit...

jimdavis's Logbook

2006-10-15 Red Point V0 Bilbo's Revenge
2006-10-14 Red Point V0 Cream
2006-10-10 Red Point 5.7 Funhouse
2006-10-10 Red Point 5.6 Thin Air ***
2006-10-09 Onsight 5.7 Slabs Direct
2006-10-09 Top Rope 5.5 Upper Refuse
2006-10-01 Red Point 5.7 Gunklandia **
2006-05-12 Top Rope 5.8 Thinner *
2005-02-16 Red Point WI3 Main Pillar
2004-09-25 Onsight 5.7 Old Town ***
2004-09-12 Top Rope 5.5 Standard Route
2004-05-16 Onsight 5.3 Betty
2004-05-16 Onsight 5.6 Spare Ribs
2004-05-14 Red Point 5.9 Happy Face
2004-05-05 Top Rope 5.8 Slice Of The Gunks
2004-05-05 Top Rope
2004-05-05 Top Rope 5.10c Route Awakening
2004-05-01 Top Rope 5.9 Wheaties
2004-05-01 Top Rope 5.10b Attitude Adjuster
2004-04-30 Red Point 5.4 Easy Stuff
2004-03-12 Red Point 5.8 Itching to Climb
2003-11-14 Hang Dog 5.9 They Died Laughing
2003-11-14 Hang Dog 5.8 Mantleshelf
2003-09-27 Top Rope 5.8 Alley Fox
2003-09-14 Hang Dog 5.9 Hard Stuff
2003-09-14 Red Point 5.9 Happy Face
2003-08-03 Red Point 5.6 Neophyte Delight
2003-07-04 Flash 5.10b Puss in Boots
2003-07-04 Red Point 5.9 Orange Sunshine
2003-07-04 Top Rope
2003-07-04 Flash 5.7 Dancing Nancy
2003-04-20 Onsight 5.5 Pried and Joy
2003-04-12 Top Rope 5.7 Foxy Lady
2003-04-12 Onsight 5.8 Upside Down Staircase


Sorry, I should have said "roller skates." That shit would be way too easy in swim fins. HaHa. fucking poseur.

Curt

I've been into climbing for a couple of years now, I havent been able to go NEARLY as often as I'd like too, and because of this, I'm not an expert cimber. However the community that I climb with happens to be supportive and FRIENDLY, If this is the way that you are on a regular basis, I hope I never run into you at a crag. Thanks!


madrock


Dec 20, 2006, 10:25 AM
Post #57 of 87 (1881 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 10, 2002
Posts: 255

Re: [akaerik21] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sorry once again a simple thread and question has been turned into a mess by some unfriendy cyber stalkers.

The flash is the most popular Velcro climbing shoe in North America. It is build on a comfortable last, has gotten several high ratings as a performance shoes. For a fit recommendation I suggest sizing it a half size below your street shoes size for comfort, a full size down for performance and maybe more if you are an experience climber or competing. It will stretch a bit to conform to your foot like most other shoes although we have put a mini lining in the front of the shoe to reduce this stretch.If you have a very wide foot you may want to go a half size larger than my original recommendation and if you have a very narrow foot you may want to go a half size smaller. Good luck and let em know if you have any questions.

Hope to see many of your in Ouray next month

Joe


medicus


Dec 20, 2006, 12:05 PM
Post #58 of 87 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 1, 2006
Posts: 727

Re: [madrock] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I wish I had gone at least a full size down, even though it was my first pair of climbing shoes. The shoes get too lose at just a half size down, and will give me "farting" noises (for a lack of a better term) when I come off the rocks onto the ground. They are just a bit too lose for me now, but I still love the shoes.


cchildre


Dec 20, 2006, 1:02 PM
Post #59 of 87 (1846 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 5, 2004
Posts: 671

Re: [curt] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

LMAO...

I think some are taking this little quarrel a bit too seriously. Knowing from personal experience....overreaction to abrasive posts here is typical. Just don't go over the line....such as I have done. This pissing match is too funny, and I love the battle action.

IMO, most people with strong opinions are going to come across as tools. It is just the nature of this media. Further, those with no sense of humor are quickly angered and embarrassed when the fun poking starts.

To the OP. Mad Rocks are a fine shoe. My only advice is that you get what you pay most of the time. MR's are a good starter shoe and might fall apart in 6 months. By then you will know if you want to keep climbing and be far more educated on exactly what you want out of your shoes. A buddy of mine goes through a pair of shoes every six months, so it is not unreasonable.


miavzero


Dec 22, 2006, 9:08 PM
Post #60 of 87 (1822 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 7, 2005
Posts: 624

Re: [madrock] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Joe,
Please try to bring back the old Mugen. The new ones (I've tried several sizes) have no power, thanks to the two-part rand.


wax


Dec 25, 2006, 7:33 PM
Post #61 of 87 (1789 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 5, 2005
Posts: 113

Re: [miavzero] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

agreed... i liked the simplicity of the old mugens and prefered them over the loco's (having used both)

please?


curt


Dec 25, 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #62 of 87 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [mtcarney] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mtcarney wrote:
curt wrote:
jimdavis wrote:
...It's only slander if it isn't true...everything I've bought up about Joe can be seen publicly on these boards. As to your friends climbing everything I can in swimming fins...right. THAT'S not slanderous or anything...dipshit...

jimdavis's Logbook

2006-10-15 Red Point V0 Bilbo's Revenge
2006-10-14 Red Point V0 Cream
2006-10-10 Red Point 5.7 Funhouse
2006-10-10 Red Point 5.6 Thin Air ***
2006-10-09 Onsight 5.7 Slabs Direct
2006-10-09 Top Rope 5.5 Upper Refuse
2006-10-01 Red Point 5.7 Gunklandia **
2006-05-12 Top Rope 5.8 Thinner *
2005-02-16 Red Point WI3 Main Pillar
2004-09-25 Onsight 5.7 Old Town ***
2004-09-12 Top Rope 5.5 Standard Route
2004-05-16 Onsight 5.3 Betty
2004-05-16 Onsight 5.6 Spare Ribs
2004-05-14 Red Point 5.9 Happy Face
2004-05-05 Top Rope 5.8 Slice Of The Gunks
2004-05-05 Top Rope
2004-05-05 Top Rope 5.10c Route Awakening
2004-05-01 Top Rope 5.9 Wheaties
2004-05-01 Top Rope 5.10b Attitude Adjuster
2004-04-30 Red Point 5.4 Easy Stuff
2004-03-12 Red Point 5.8 Itching to Climb
2003-11-14 Hang Dog 5.9 They Died Laughing
2003-11-14 Hang Dog 5.8 Mantleshelf
2003-09-27 Top Rope 5.8 Alley Fox
2003-09-14 Hang Dog 5.9 Hard Stuff
2003-09-14 Red Point 5.9 Happy Face
2003-08-03 Red Point 5.6 Neophyte Delight
2003-07-04 Flash 5.10b Puss in Boots
2003-07-04 Red Point 5.9 Orange Sunshine
2003-07-04 Top Rope
2003-07-04 Flash 5.7 Dancing Nancy
2003-04-20 Onsight 5.5 Pried and Joy
2003-04-12 Top Rope 5.7 Foxy Lady
2003-04-12 Onsight 5.8 Upside Down Staircase


Sorry, I should have said "roller skates." That shit would be way too easy in swim fins. HaHa. fucking poseur.

Curt

I've been into climbing for a couple of years now, I havent been able to go NEARLY as often as I'd like too, and because of this, I'm not an expert cimber. However the community that I climb with happens to be supportive and FRIENDLY, If this is the way that you are on a regular basis, I hope I never run into you at a crag. Thanks!

Well, I don't climb much in Indiana--so, you're probably safe. However, I'm not sure why you prefer people who are supportive and friendly, but stupid--over those who could actually help you. It's your choice I suppose...

Curt


jimdavis


Dec 26, 2006, 12:44 AM
Post #63 of 87 (1771 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 1, 2003
Posts: 1935

Re: [curt] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
mtcarney wrote:
I've been into climbing for a couple of years now, I havent been able to go NEARLY as often as I'd like too, and because of this, I'm not an expert cimber. However the community that I climb with happens to be supportive and FRIENDLY, If this is the way that you are on a regular basis, I hope I never run into you at a crag. Thanks!

Well, I don't climb much in Indiana--so, you're probably safe. However, I'm not sure why you prefer people who are supportive and friendly, but stupid--over those who could actually help you. It's your choice I suppose...

Curt

How is it that his climbing community is stupid, Curt? Or are you just saying that you're smarter than everyone else?

Jim


(This post was edited by jimdavis on Dec 26, 2006, 12:46 AM)


keinangst


Dec 26, 2006, 7:35 AM
Post #64 of 87 (1758 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 31, 2003
Posts: 1408

Re: [jimdavis] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think the Flash is the best all-around shoe under $100...but when you reach the $100 mark, I can't say enough great things about the Evolv Bandits. I LOVE them. When you add in the wear-and-tear, they are definitely cheaper to own than my last two pairs of Mad Rocks (which wear fairly quickly, but definitely stick very well). I'll trade a little stickiness for the phenomenal fit and edging of the Bandits.

Evolv was excellent to work with, while my experiences with Mad Rock (re: Mad Pad) were nothing short of "How are you still in business?" Bargain basement in every way. In all fairness, lest you thinking I'm slamming unfairly, even established companies like Metolius have shown me very poor service regarding their climbing holds (as others have corroborated).

So anyway, if that $30 difference between MadRock and Evolve are worth it to you, let me just remind you that you'll be spending more on MR because of the reduced durability. Besides, they're made in China. The fewer things I can buy from China, the better. But that's just IMHO Wink


curt


Dec 26, 2006, 8:53 AM
Post #65 of 87 (1747 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [jimdavis] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jimdavis wrote:
curt wrote:
mtcarney wrote:
I've been into climbing for a couple of years now, I havent been able to go NEARLY as often as I'd like too, and because of this, I'm not an expert cimber. However the community that I climb with happens to be supportive and FRIENDLY, If this is the way that you are on a regular basis, I hope I never run into you at a crag. Thanks!

Well, I don't climb much in Indiana--so, you're probably safe. However, I'm not sure why you prefer people who are supportive and friendly, but stupid--over those who could actually help you. It's your choice I suppose...

Curt

How is it that his climbing community is stupid, Curt? Or are you just saying that you're smarter than everyone else?

Jim

I would never claim to be smarter than everyone else, Jim. I'm merely much more knowledgeable about climbing than all the gumbies, grommets, n00bs and other wannabes (like you) here. At least when I do hold myself out as an expert on this site, I have almost 30 years of climbing experience at a fairly high standard behind me--thousands of routes of all kinds, all over the world. Because of that (in part) I have a pretty good fundamental understanding of how most climbing stuff works.

You, on the other hand, routinely attempt to give climbing advice to others when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You have no meaningful climbing experience and no real climbing ability. All you "know" about climbing comes from what you either read or heard from some other "expert" climber.

Unfortunately, for both yourself and those who may unwittingly read the drivel you post here, your utter lack of experience denies you the critical ability to differentiate between what information that you either read or heard is correct from that which is incorrect. Thus, even if on a rare occasion, you do post an answer that is correct, you have absolutely no idea "why" it is correct. You are nothing more than a horrible example of what not to do on an internet forum. Please stop embarrassing yourself by impersonating a real rock climber on the internet.

Spend your time more productively, psyching yourself up for that next 5.5 redpoint.

Curt


(This post was edited by curt on Dec 26, 2006, 8:55 AM)


jimdavis


Dec 26, 2006, 4:34 PM
Post #66 of 87 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 1, 2003
Posts: 1935

Re: [curt] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
jimdavis wrote:
curt wrote:
mtcarney wrote:
I've been into climbing for a couple of years now, I havent been able to go NEARLY as often as I'd like too, and because of this, I'm not an expert cimber. However the community that I climb with happens to be supportive and FRIENDLY, If this is the way that you are on a regular basis, I hope I never run into you at a crag. Thanks!

Well, I don't climb much in Indiana--so, you're probably safe. However, I'm not sure why you prefer people who are supportive and friendly, but stupid--over those who could actually help you. It's your choice I suppose...

Curt

How is it that his climbing community is stupid, Curt? Or are you just saying that you're smarter than everyone else?

Jim

I would never claim to be smarter than everyone else, Jim. I'm merely much more knowledgeable about climbing than all the gumbies, grommets, n00bs and other wannabes (like you) here. At least when I do hold myself out as an expert on this site, I have almost 30 years of climbing experience at a fairly high standard behind me--thousands of routes of all kinds, all over the world. Because of that (in part) I have a pretty good fundamental understanding of how most climbing stuff works.

You, on the other hand, routinely attempt to give climbing advice to others when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You have no meaningful climbing experience and no real climbing ability. All you "know" about climbing comes from what you either read or heard from some other "expert" climber.

Unfortunately, for both yourself and those who may unwittingly read the drivel you post here, your utter lack of experience denies you the critical ability to differentiate between what information that you either read or heard is correct from that which is incorrect. Thus, even if on a rare occasion, you do post an answer that is correct, you have absolutely no idea "why" it is correct. You are nothing more than a horrible example of what not to do on an internet forum. Please stop embarrassing yourself by impersonating a real rock climber on the internet.

Spend your time more productively, psyching yourself up for that next 5.5 redpoint.

Curt

You couldn't be much more wrong, Curt. "Why" is a question I ask myself about each thing I learn. Again, you've never met me, nor anyone I've climbed with...assuming that you understand what I know, how I learned it, and how I understand it is quite foolish, on your part. If our paths ever cross I would have no hesitation to challenge you on any technical system/ anchor/ technique related to recreational climbing and rescue. Your useless negative posts on here have contributed nothing, nor given me any insight into what it is you do or don't know about climbing systems...I have no reason to think you know half of the skills I do.

If it took you 30 years to figure out how a climbing shoe works, then I genuinely feel bad for you.

If your going to pull punches and try to insult me...at least try and be original, and pick something I actually might care about. You think I really care about what grade I climb at? You obviously have no understanding of me, and why it is that I climb. It's pretty sad when someone with your "depth of experience" is still caught up in the game of numbers.

Funny how you 1) didn't explain how the poster's community of climbers is stupid, as you stated..and 2) hail yourself as an expert, worthy of sharing their opinion on the internet; yet talk poorly of those that learn things here.....why is it you're posting here then? Oh that's right....you're an old man who still has to prove his superiority to the world.

Good luck with that!

Jim


curt


Dec 26, 2006, 8:50 PM
Post #67 of 87 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [jimdavis] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jimdavis wrote:
"Why" is a question I ask myself about each thing I learn.

You haven't yet learned anything--not in any real sense, anyway.

jimdavis wrote:
...If our paths ever cross I would have no hesitation to challenge you on any technical system/ anchor/ technique related to recreational climbing and rescue...

Your incompetence is exceeded only by your delusional sense of your own abilities. Although it would be good fun to watch you whimper and cry, I'd rather free-solo than ever climb routes with you. In any real emergency, all you could possibly do is try to figure out which book to consult. I take dumps that know more about climbing than you; plus, most of my dumps are less irritating and offensive than you.

jimdavis wrote:
Your useless negative posts on here have contributed nothing, nor given me any insight into what it is you do or don't know about climbing systems...

Sadly, it isn't possible to impart any insight to a largely vacuous intellect.

jimdavis wrote:
I have no reason to think you know half of the skills I do...

Once again, it is obvious that (in your own mind) you are some towering figure in the world of climbing. That's why people have written all about you, in numerous books concerning the history of climbing in the United States, right? Oh that's right, they haven't. Guess what? No one ever will. You will never, ever be confused with a competent climber by people who actually know what's up. You're merely a miserable little fuck who only reads climbing books and takes climbing classes.

jimdavis wrote:
If it took you 30 years to figure out how a climbing shoe works, then I genuinely feel bad for you.

Again, a complete climbing bumbly, such as yourself, is in no position to explain how anything works to anyone here at RC.com--except perhaps how you prefer to choke your own chicken. There, I can believe you do have plenty of practical experience.

jimdavis wrote:
If your going to pull punches and try to insult me...at least try and be original, and pick something I actually might care about. You think I really care about what grade I climb at?

If I sucked real hard, like you, I'd probably make a claim like that too--it's really about the best you can do under the circumstances of being weak, untalented and unskilled.

jimdavis wrote:
You obviously have no understanding of me, and why it is that I climb.

That's true enough. Usually people don't stick with something they suck at. You're an anomaly.

jimdavis wrote:
It's pretty sad when someone with your "depth of experience" is still caught up in the game of numbers.

I think it's far sadder that your own "depth of experience" is really nothing more than the armchair quarterback variety, having basically no climbing experience or talent. Now go read another book on climbing so you can come back here and post about something else you don't actually understand.

Curt


jt512


Dec 26, 2006, 9:41 PM
Post #68 of 87 (1697 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21887

Re: [jimdavis] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jimdavis wrote:
You think I really care about what grade I climb at

Obviously you do not.

In reply to:
It's pretty sad when someone with your "depth of experience" is still caught up in the game of numbers.

Climbing is inherently about challenging yourself. Now, once you've successfully met a challenge, unless you up the stakes a notch, then you are no longer challenging yourself, and you have consigned yourself to mediocrity. Everybody starts in this sport for the challenge. However, some forget why they started, get comfortable with what they know they can do, and stop challenging themselves. These climbers inevitably rationalize that their motivation lies elsewhere. Often they become experts at safety systems; become obsessed with gear; claim they just want to go sight seeing when they climb; want to with hang out with friends; blah, blah, blah. That this is self-delusion is apparent from the fact that any of these goals could be met while remaining safely on the ground.

So, climbing is about ever upping the challenge. For most, it is about climbing harder routes (mediocre climbers disparagingly call this "number chasing"). It can be about other physical and mental challenges too, but usually it's about difficulty.

In no other sport I can think of do mediocre participants attempt to claim that, by virtue of their mediocrity, they are morally superior to those who desire to improve. Gymnasts don't think, "I'm happy with scoring an 8.8 on the bars; anyone who aspires to a 9.0 or 10.0 is 'just chasing numbers'."

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being satisfied with climbing at a mediocre level. What is wrong is to claim that those who want to improve are morally or aesthetically inferior, which is what your reference to "the game of numbers" in your post implies.

Jay


miavzero


Dec 26, 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #69 of 87 (1691 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 7, 2005
Posts: 624

Re: [jt512] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Great post Jay,
I'm also growing tired of the disonance seeking climbers. Even though I don't fancy myself as a rescue expert, I recently assisted in a SAR operation, because my county SAR group could not climb several pitches of 5.10/.11 to get to an injured climber.


jimdavis


Dec 26, 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #70 of 87 (1688 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 1, 2003
Posts: 1935

Re: [jt512] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jimdavis wrote:
You think I really care about what grade I climb at

Obviously you do not.

In reply to:
It's pretty sad when someone with your "depth of experience" is still caught up in the game of numbers.

Climbing is inherently about challenging yourself. Now, once you've successfully met a challenge, unless you up the stakes a notch, then you are no longer challenging yourself, and you have consigned yourself to mediocrity. Everybody starts in this sport for the challenge. However, some forget why they started, get comfortable with what they know they can do, and stop challenging themselves. These climbers inevitably rationalize that their motivation lies elsewhere. Often they become experts at safety systems; become obsessed with gear; claim they just want to go sight seeing when they climb; want to with hang out with friends; blah, blah, blah. That this is self-delusion is apparent from the fact that any of these goals could be met while remaining safely on the ground.

So, climbing is about ever upping the challenge. For most, it is about climbing harder routes (mediocre climbers disparagingly call this "number chasing"). It can be about other physical and mental challenges too, but usually it's about difficulty.

In no other sport I can think of do mediocre participants attempt to claim that, by virtue of their mediocrity, they are morally superior to those who desire to improve. Gymnasts don't think, "I'm happy with scoring an 8.8 on the bars; anyone who aspires to a 9.0 or 10.0 is 'just chasing numbers'."

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being satisfied with climbing at a mediocre level. What is wrong is to claim that those who want to improve are morally or aesthetically inferior, which is what your reference to "the game of numbers" in your post implies.

Jay

Jay my post was not a dis on people that like to climb hard. I climb to enjoy it, and I don't often feel the need to challange my ability to physcially climb something, to get that enjoyment.

I don't have a problem with people that climb hard, but apparently people that climb hard have a problem with people that don't....and people who think they have the right to look down on others because they don't climb as hard....are morally inferior, to me.

Jim


jimdavis


Dec 26, 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #71 of 87 (1686 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 1, 2003
Posts: 1935

Re: [curt] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
jimdavis wrote:
"Why" is a question I ask myself about each thing I learn.

You haven't yet learned anything--not in any real sense, anyway.

jimdavis wrote:
...If our paths ever cross I would have no hesitation to challenge you on any technical system/ anchor/ technique related to recreational climbing and rescue...

Your incompetence is exceeded only by your delusional sense of your own abilities. Although it would be good fun to watch you whimper and cry, I'd rather free-solo than ever climb routes with you. In any real emergency, all you could possibly do is try to figure out which book to consult. I take dumps that know more about climbing than you; plus, most of my dumps are less irritating and offensive than you.

jimdavis wrote:
Your useless negative posts on here have contributed nothing, nor given me any insight into what it is you do or don't know about climbing systems...

Sadly, it isn't possible to impart any insight to a largely vacuous intellect.

jimdavis wrote:
I have no reason to think you know half of the skills I do...

Once again, it is obvious that (in your own mind) you are some towering figure in the world of climbing. That's why people have written all about you, in numerous books concerning the history of climbing in the United States, right? Oh that's right, they haven't. Guess what? No one ever will. You will never, ever be confused with a competent climber by people who actually know what's up. You're merely a miserable little fuck who only reads climbing books and takes climbing classes.

jimdavis wrote:
If it took you 30 years to figure out how a climbing shoe works, then I genuinely feel bad for you.

Again, a complete climbing bumbly, such as yourself, is in no position to explain how anything works to anyone here at RC.com--except perhaps how you prefer to choke your own chicken. There, I can believe you do have plenty of practical experience.

jimdavis wrote:
If your going to pull punches and try to insult me...at least try and be original, and pick something I actually might care about. You think I really care about what grade I climb at?

If I sucked real hard, like you, I'd probably make a claim like that too--it's really about the best you can do under the circumstances of being weak, untalented and unskilled.

jimdavis wrote:
You obviously have no understanding of me, and why it is that I climb.

That's true enough. Usually people don't stick with something they suck at. You're an anomaly.

jimdavis wrote:
It's pretty sad when someone with your "depth of experience" is still caught up in the game of numbers.

I think it's far sadder that your own "depth of experience" is really nothing more than the armchair quarterback variety, having basically no climbing experience or talent. Now go read another book on climbing so you can come back here and post about something else you don't actually understand.

Curt

who are you to judge what I know from across the fuckin internet? you haven't a clue. again, you don't know me, or anyone that does. I don't claim to be an expert, but I know what I know. Considering what your posts contain, I think my assessment is fair.

I guess my comment about you being nothing but an old man that feels like they have to prove themself to the world, hit a little too close to home. Considering how your post consists of little besides personal attacks (about all you're known for) and anger...I'd say I just about hit that nail on the head.

But thanks Curt, you've done nothing but prove what I already thought of you.

If you wanna be the king mudslinger on here...your welcome to the title.

Jim


(This post was edited by jimdavis on Dec 26, 2006, 11:08 PM)


bigfatrock


Dec 27, 2006, 6:37 AM
Post #72 of 87 (1668 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 2, 2006
Posts: 1321

Re: [akaerik21] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just to add to the madness of this thread I will give you some hopefully useful information. I was at REI this weekend and the sales rep showed me the "NEW" Madrock Flash, they now use Science Friction rubber as opposed to the Mad Rubber. They are much stickier than before.

I also told him I wore a hole in the rand of my show at the toe and he told me to just bring them back in, it was likely a manufacturing defect. I have heard bad things about the rubber wearing fast, but this new rubber is supposed to be great.

Somebody else mentioned Evolv in this thread as well. I have to second that. I tried on a pair at the store and LOVED them. When I trade in my Mad Rocks I will likely upgrade. They felt amazing, had extra rubber on the toe for jamming them into cracks and had ribs on the heel for hooking just like the Mad Rock.

One downside of the Mad Rock Flash is they don't edge well. The Evolv looks like it has a more solid soul and will likely edge a lot better. I recommend going into an REI our local outdoor store and trying them on. Don't order online unless you tried them on in store first. I hope that helps. Climb on.


curt


Dec 27, 2006, 9:18 AM
Post #73 of 87 (1643 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [curt] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jim,

Your comments about the quality of my posted content have become quite tedious. We don't even have to go any farther than this thread to see who knows more about the topic under discussion. Your total evaluation of Mad Rock shoes (from page 1 of this thread) was:

jimdavis wrote:
...their rep on here treats people like shit...I put a thread up about this a while back. titled "madrock: the user and the brand" you can find it if this interests you.

I won't buy from companies that have bad customer service, so I won't touch MR shoes. My Flashes climbed well enough, but my Evolv's work a lot better...

You make absolutely no analysis of the product in question; you merely slam the company, in spite of saying that the shoes "climbed well enough." Even the comment that the shoes "climbed well enough" is meaningless to any other forum participant here, coming from a total climbing gumby like you.

On the other hand, my analysis of Mad Rock shoes (also from earlier in this thread was:

curt wrote:
...I think Mad Rock makes a terrific shoe for the money. Their Formula 5 rubber is perhaps the stickiest climbing shoe rubber on the market at higher temperature ranges. Whereas various tests have shown most climbing shoe rubber (C4, Vibram, etc.) to have maximum friction at around 50 degrees, F, the Mad Rock rubber has maximal friction in the 65 to 85 degree F range.

I particularly like the new, redesigned (gray colored) Mad Rock Phoenix shoe. They are extremely comfortable, slightly more aggressive than the old Phoenix and don't turn my feet yellow. They're a great all-around shoe, and work well on friction, pockets, edges and most anything else--at least up through V8 and 5.12 climbing. Beyond that, you'll have to ask someone else...

Please notice that I addressed the technical properties of the rubber, what types of climbing the shoes work well for, the recent change in the design of the shoes, etc., etc...

You can go to any of several hundred other technically related climbing threads on "how cams work," "fall-factors," "anchor analyses" and many other topics--and see that I have also made meaningful contributions to them. See, that's what differentiates you from me. I actually know what I'm talking about--and you're a fool.

Curt


billcoe_


Dec 27, 2006, 12:17 PM
Post #74 of 87 (1617 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 30, 2002
Posts: 4658

Re: [curt] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Shame on you 2. Especially you Curt. As a mod I'd think you'd know better. Maybe someone with some sense can delete your posts for you.

akaerik21 has a total of 5 posts and asks a simple question about mad rock shoes. He really just wants some information. Jims first post wasn't read as a huge slam Curt, just simple truths he thinks about the shoes, until you engaged him. Shame on you both.

It's like you are trying to show each other who has the biggest dick, but I'll surprise you by saying that to everybody reading this - your stupid, pointless, drivel -laden, tit-for-tat arguement, controversy, contention, contestation, disputation or whatever it is: shows that neither of you really have dicks. Or manners.

Good on Joe (Madrock) for showing up and trying to answer the question without being sucked into a stupid, putrid, disgusting, revolting, nauseating and pointless yawing black hole display of ignorance.

akaerik21, there's some wheat in the chaff inbewteen up there thats good info. Getting a good pair of shoes that fit you and make you happy would be #1 on the list. Good luck to the roomate.


(This post was edited by billcoe_ on Dec 27, 2006, 12:18 PM)


billcoe_


Dec 27, 2006, 12:20 PM
Post #75 of 87 (1614 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 30, 2002
Posts: 4658

Re: [billcoe_] mad rock shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

BYW:

I've been wanting to try an Acopa shoe, mostly to help out Bachar, but haven't had a need for a new shoe, people seem to like them.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$11.66 (10% off)
$141.75 (10% off)
$62.55 (10% off)
$44.96 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook