Forums: Community: Campground:
So what are you reading at the moment?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All


snoangel


Jul 17, 2009, 8:22 AM
Post #101 of 137 (2476 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 28, 2004
Posts: 1715

Re: [wonderwoman] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
jt512 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
America's Food: What You Don't Know About What You Eat by Harvey Platt

http://mitpress.mit.edu/...type=2&tid=11558

Have you seen the film Food, Inc.?

Jay

It's definitely on my to do list to see it. I did see King Corn:

http://www.kingcorn.net/

I saw that documentary after reading Fast Food Nation, Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food. I guess I have an appetite for reading about food!

I love all those "food" books too.


wonderwoman


Jul 17, 2009, 8:27 AM
Post #102 of 137 (2475 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2002
Posts: 4269

Re: [snoangel] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoangel wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jt512 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
America's Food: What You Don't Know About What You Eat by Harvey Platt

http://mitpress.mit.edu/...type=2&tid=11558

Have you seen the film Food, Inc.?

Jay

It's definitely on my to do list to see it. I did see King Corn:

http://www.kingcorn.net/

I saw that documentary after reading Fast Food Nation, Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food. I guess I have an appetite for reading about food!

I love all those "food" books too.

Oooohh! Then let me know if there are any more that you can recommend! I'm starting school in the Fall and soon my reading list will likely be decided for me.


bill413


Jul 17, 2009, 9:59 AM
Post #103 of 137 (2461 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Posts: 5674

Re: [hafilax] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
A friend was trying to work with his minimal French and said to someone:
'Je suis etudiant, suce mois' (I am a student, suck me)

he meant
'Je suis etudiant depuis six mois.' Laugh

Are you sure he didn't mean the first one? Sly


granite_grrl


Jul 17, 2009, 10:10 AM
Post #104 of 137 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 14902

Re: [clausti] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
hafilax wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
hafilax wrote:
Right now I'm working on my French. I need to be bilingual in 3 weeks for when I meet my GF's francophone friends and family. Shocked
They're still going to laugh at you. It's just what they do. And when they've decided that their bad English is better than your bad French they'll take pity and talk to you in English anyway.
The extent of their English is "Aye, ow har you?" so I'm on my own with this one. It's the slang and idioms I'm going to have the hardest time with.

I've been listening to lots of music from Quebec. Malajube, Les Cowboys Fringants, Les Colocs, Jean Leloup, Les Trios Accords, Damien Robitaille... but I guess that's another thread.

repete, si vous plait?

dunno if that's all spelled right, but it means, can you repeat that please? 's a good one.
"pouvez-vous parler plus lentement?" is also very handy.


Partner camhead


Jul 17, 2009, 5:11 PM
Post #105 of 137 (2438 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20792

Re: [granite_grrl] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Back to books all you frog-lovers!

I just started Thomas Friedman's "The World is Flat."

Has anyone read it yet? I'm pretty psyched.


bill413


Jul 17, 2009, 5:13 PM
Post #106 of 137 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Posts: 5674

Re: [camhead] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Back to books all you frog-lovers!

I just started Thomas Friedman's "The World is Flat."

Has anyone read it yet? I'm pretty psyched.

You're a climber - and you are psyched about the world being flat?!?!?!?


Partner camhead


Jul 17, 2009, 5:27 PM
Post #107 of 137 (2432 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20792

Re: [bill413] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
camhead wrote:
Back to books all you frog-lovers!

I just started Thomas Friedman's "The World is Flat."

Has anyone read it yet? I'm pretty psyched.

You're a climber - and you are psyched about the world being flat?!?!?!?

better than my wife being flat.

ZING! BAM! BOO YA!


bill413


Jul 17, 2009, 6:23 PM
Post #108 of 137 (2429 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Posts: 5674

Re: [camhead] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
bill413 wrote:
camhead wrote:
Back to books all you frog-lovers!

I just started Thomas Friedman's "The World is Flat."

Has anyone read it yet? I'm pretty psyched.

You're a climber - and you are psyched about the world being flat?!?!?!?

better than my wife being flat.

ZING! BAM! BOO YA!
Score.


imnotclever


Jul 20, 2009, 1:24 PM
Post #109 of 137 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 8, 2003
Posts: 10000

Re: [wonderwoman] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
imnotclever wrote:
on dingus's recommendation I picked up A soldier of the great war from the library.

I absolutely loved that book!

I will have to hang dog this one. I've made it a couple hundred pages or so and have to return it. I don't see that I'll have enough time to finish in the next few weeks.

But a book that has sparked my interest, that I had forgotten about: The Satanic Versus. I figure I'll have to try that next.


uhoh


Jul 20, 2009, 2:12 PM
Post #110 of 137 (2389 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2007
Posts: 2281

Re: [zeke_sf] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
uhoh wrote:
Going After Cacciato - Tim O'Brien

I know it's an old thread, but it's a good thread too.

I really like The Things they Carried much better, but O'Brien ain't bad at all.

In rereading Going After Cacciato, I think I also enjoyed The Things They Carried a bit more. I like GAC because I feel as though it reminds me of my life and the world around me, even if I can't think of any parallels off the top of my head. The Things They Carried, however, featured the story that eventually interested me in O'Brien's writing - How to Tell a True War Story.


atg200


Jul 20, 2009, 2:20 PM
Post #111 of 137 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 27, 2001
Posts: 4317

Re: [camhead] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Back to books all you frog-lovers!

I just started Thomas Friedman's "The World is Flat."

Has anyone read it yet? I'm pretty psyched.

I read it, but wasn't very impressed. I've got really jaded about outsourcing after getting stuck with some really shitty code from offshore developers.


Partner camhead


Jul 20, 2009, 2:22 PM
Post #112 of 137 (2383 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20792

Re: [atg200] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

atg200 wrote:
camhead wrote:
Back to books all you frog-lovers!

I just started Thomas Friedman's "The World is Flat."

Has anyone read it yet? I'm pretty psyched.

I read it, but wasn't very impressed. I've got really jaded about outsourcing after getting stuck with some really shitty code from offshore developers.

Yeah, I'm about 200 pages in right now, and it is pretty one-sided so far. A lot of "isn't this great?"

I read "Freakanomics" really quickly yesterday; it is just fun.


snoangel


Jul 21, 2009, 8:46 AM
Post #113 of 137 (2355 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 28, 2004
Posts: 1715

Re: [wonderwoman] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
snoangel wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jt512 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
America's Food: What You Don't Know About What You Eat by Harvey Platt

http://mitpress.mit.edu/...type=2&tid=11558

Have you seen the film Food, Inc.?

Jay

It's definitely on my to do list to see it. I did see King Corn:

http://www.kingcorn.net/

I saw that documentary after reading Fast Food Nation, Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food. I guess I have an appetite for reading about food!

I love all those "food" books too.

Oooohh! Then let me know if there are any more that you can recommend! I'm starting school in the Fall and soon my reading list will likely be decided for me.

I have heard that "The End of Food" by Paul Roberts and "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver are good. If you read them, let me know what you think.


wonderwoman


Jul 21, 2009, 9:12 AM
Post #114 of 137 (2349 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2002
Posts: 4269

Re: [snoangel] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoangel wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
snoangel wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jt512 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
America's Food: What You Don't Know About What You Eat by Harvey Platt

http://mitpress.mit.edu/...type=2&tid=11558

Have you seen the film Food, Inc.?

Jay

It's definitely on my to do list to see it. I did see King Corn:

http://www.kingcorn.net/

I saw that documentary after reading Fast Food Nation, Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food. I guess I have an appetite for reading about food!

I love all those "food" books too.

Oooohh! Then let me know if there are any more that you can recommend! I'm starting school in the Fall and soon my reading list will likely be decided for me.

I have heard that "The End of Food" by Paul Roberts and "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver are good. If you read them, let me know what you think.

I did read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I like Kingsolver's writing and thought her book was practical. She had recipes and suggested menu's according to season. I'll have to check out that other book.

Another book that I saw recently was 'Food Matters' by Mark Bittman. He's the one who wrote the 'How to Cook Everything' books. I saw him interviewed on the Colbert Report and have to check this out!

http://www.markbittman.com/books/food-matters

Also, I want to read Skinny Bitch:

http://www.skinnybitch.net/index.php

Although the title doesn't indicate it, I have heard that it goes into detail about the impact of factory farming, food processing, and has practical food tips. And wouldn't it be to be seen walking around with my nose in a 'Skinny Bitch' book?


hafilax


Jul 21, 2009, 11:20 AM
Post #115 of 137 (2328 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 11, 2007
Posts: 3025

Re: [wonderwoman] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I enjoyed An apple a day by Joe Schwartz. It's basically a summary of the current consensus in food science.


thomasribiere


Jul 21, 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #116 of 137 (2324 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 24, 2002
Posts: 9306

Re: [wonderwoman] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just finished Skinwalkers by Tony Hillerman, in American. Interesting suspense.

Re-reading Amerika, by Franz Kafka, in French. A bit "heavy' to read, but it's like a modern version of the Candide from Voltaire : the story of a German migrant teenager in the USA, who is a victim of mean persons.


slablizard


Jul 21, 2009, 11:39 AM
Post #117 of 137 (2311 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 13, 2003
Posts: 5558

Re: [thomasribiere] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"confessions of an economic hit man"
J. Perkins.

"Economic hit men (EHMs) are highly paid professionals who cheat countries around the globe out of trillions of dollars," Perkins writes. Confessions of an Economic Hit Man is an extraordinary and gripping tale of intrigue and dark machinations. Think John Le Carré, except it's a true story.
Perkins writes that his economic projections cooked the books Enron-style to convince foreign governments to accept billions of dollars of loans from the World Bank and other institutions to build dams, airports, electric grids, and other infrastructure he knew they couldn't afford. The loans were given on condition that construction and engineering contracts went to U.S. companies. Often, the money would simply be transferred from one bank account in Washington, D.C., to another one in New York or San Francisco. The deals were smoothed over with bribes for foreign officials, but it was the taxpayers in the foreign countries who had to pay back the loans. When their governments couldn't do so, as was often the case, the U.S. or its henchmen at the World Bank or International Monetary Fund would step in and essentially place the country in trusteeship, dictating everything from its spending budget to security agreements and even its United Nations votes. It was, Perkins writes, a clever way for the U.S. to expand its "empire" at the expense of Third World citizens. While at times he seems a little overly focused on conspiracies, perhaps that's not surprising considering the life he's led. --Alex Roslin




jt512


Jul 21, 2009, 1:09 PM
Post #118 of 137 (2296 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21893

Re: [slablizard] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

slablizard wrote:
"confessions of an economic hit man"
J. Perkins.

"Economic hit men (EHMs) are highly paid professionals who cheat countries around the globe out of trillions of dollars," Perkins writes. Confessions of an Economic Hit Man is an extraordinary and gripping tale of intrigue and dark machinations. Think John Le Carré, except it's a true story.
Perkins writes that his economic projections cooked the books Enron-style to convince foreign governments to accept billions of dollars of loans from the World Bank and other institutions to build dams, airports, electric grids, and other infrastructure he knew they couldn't afford. The loans were given on condition that construction and engineering contracts went to U.S. companies. Often, the money would simply be transferred from one bank account in Washington, D.C., to another one in New York or San Francisco. The deals were smoothed over with bribes for foreign officials, but it was the taxpayers in the foreign countries who had to pay back the loans. When their governments couldn't do so, as was often the case, the U.S. or its henchmen at the World Bank or International Monetary Fund would step in and essentially place the country in trusteeship, dictating everything from its spending budget to security agreements and even its United Nations votes. It was, Perkins writes, a clever way for the U.S. to expand its "empire" at the expense of Third World citizens. While at times he seems a little overly focused on conspiracies, perhaps that's not surprising considering the life he's led. --Alex Roslin


Oddly enough, I'm currently reading a John Le Carré book about an economic hit man.

Jay


Toast_in_the_Machine


Jul 21, 2009, 8:26 PM
Post #119 of 137 (2272 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 11, 2008
Posts: 5184

Re: [wonderwoman] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
snoangel wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
jt512 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
America's Food: What You Don't Know About What You Eat by Harvey Platt

http://mitpress.mit.edu/...type=2&tid=11558

Have you seen the film Food, Inc.?

Jay

It's definitely on my to do list to see it. I did see King Corn:

http://www.kingcorn.net/

I saw that documentary after reading Fast Food Nation, Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food. I guess I have an appetite for reading about food!

I love all those "food" books too.

Oooohh! Then let me know if there are any more that you can recommend! I'm starting school in the Fall and soon my reading list will likely be decided for me.

May I recommend "Near a Thousand Tables"


mnottingham


Jul 22, 2009, 11:01 AM
Post #120 of 137 (2252 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 20, 2008
Posts: 18

Re: [blondgecko] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm very picky about my fiction, but two great post-apocalypse themed books : World War Z, and The Road.

Highly recommend the non fiction book Salt. The history of salt is fascinating (seriously). We take salt for granted and try to eliminate it from our diets, but in the past salt was expensive and difficult to acquire. The quest for salt shaped history in dramatic ways. For example, with sufficient supply of salt, one may preserve fish or meats. With preserved fish and meat, one may feed an army. With a well-fed army, one may conquer and colonize other nations. The same author wrote another book called Cod, in which the quest for cod fishing gounds changed the history of Europe and North America.


kevin_c


Jul 22, 2009, 9:43 PM
Post #121 of 137 (2234 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 22, 2009
Posts: 1

Re: [mnottingham] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got my hands on The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan, and I can't wait to start on it.

Many of you guys will know Guillermo as being the director to the Hellboy movies and Pan's Labyrinth. His imagination for the movies is elaborate, and I just wonder would it translate into a book about vampires.


snoangel


Jul 23, 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #122 of 137 (2206 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 28, 2004
Posts: 1715

Re: [kevin_c] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kevin_c wrote:
I just got my hands on The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan, and I can't wait to start on it.

Many of you guys will know Guillermo as being the director to the Hellboy movies and Pan's Labyrinth. His imagination for the movies is elaborate, and I just wonder would it translate into a book about vampires.

I've heard good things about it. Let us know.


Partner abe_ascends


Jul 23, 2009, 2:52 PM
Post #123 of 137 (2194 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 17, 2005
Posts: 367

Re: [snoangel] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am currently reading "Boomsday" by Christopher Buckley, whom some of you may know from the book/movie, "Thank You For Smoking."

This book skewers politics and the media while discussing what may be the next political and economic "brouhaha"-- the social security crisis (not enough workers to support the aging boomer population)-- in a quirky and off-beat style. It is an engaging read, sharp, and extremely funny.


(This post was edited by abe_ascends on Jul 23, 2009, 2:53 PM)


karmiclimber


Jul 23, 2009, 5:26 PM
Post #124 of 137 (2184 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 10, 2004
Posts: 1058

Re: [blondgecko] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just finished White Fang by Jack London and 1894 by George Orwell. Now I'm working on Fountainhead by Ayn Rand...so far its fantastic.


bill413


Jul 23, 2009, 5:41 PM
Post #125 of 137 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Posts: 5674

Re: [karmiclimber] So what are you reading at the moment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
I just finished White Fang by Jack London and 1894 by George Orwell. Now I'm working on Fountainhead by Ayn Rand...so far its fantastic.

You ought to look for the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984 commercial on the web....it plays off the book.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$128.22 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)
$89.96 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook