Forums: Climbing Partners: Canada:
Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. Lies, Innuendos, and Tall Tales.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Canada

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 81 Next page Last page  View All


Crag_Dawg


Oct 12, 2007, 5:02 PM
Post #226 of 2012 (6729 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 7, 2007
Posts: 4

Re: [skinner] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

skinner wrote:
I'll tell ya.. I normally despise dogs running around at the crag, but Harrison is definitely the exception, I'll go cragging with him any time. Plus he carries gear!

Hey, I'll go cragging with you any day too buddy!
I don't mind carrying your rope, but you carry your own GD beer OK?






rockguide


Oct 14, 2007, 10:08 PM
Post #227 of 2012 (6712 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 8, 2004
Posts: 1358

Re: [Crag_Dawg] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Nick's this week?

I hear another shipment left the poultry farm next to three mile island.

B


skinner


Oct 14, 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #228 of 2012 (6710 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 31, 2004
Posts: 1747

Re: [rockguide] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was thinking "Nicks" myself, I have to find out if the wings are always that size!



rockguide wrote:

Kevin, you are so not expedition photographer!

B

Aww.. come on, look at this fine example of JR clawing his way up an extreme 5.4++ I took on Saturday.





*note:
please ignore the angle of the tree's, highway, river, etc. this is an optical illusion due to the angle of the sun, It really was that steep.. right JR?


(This post was edited by skinner on Oct 14, 2007, 10:56 PM)


chossmonkey


Oct 15, 2007, 5:39 AM
Post #229 of 2012 (6703 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2003
Posts: 28414

Re: [jumpingrock] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jumpingrock wrote:
This unemployed bum will be there around 8:00. No later than 8:15.
Bum?

You are a stay at home boyfriend. A very noble line of work.


rockguide


Oct 15, 2007, 5:58 AM
Post #230 of 2012 (6698 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 8, 2004
Posts: 1358

Re: [skinner] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

skinner wrote:
I was thinking "Nicks" myself, I have to find out if the wings are always that size!



rockguide wrote:

Kevin, you are so not expedition photographer!

B

Redeemed due to lack of lycra.

Aww.. come on, look at this fine example of JR clawing his way up an extreme 5.4++ I took on Saturday.


[image]http://www.netspy.net/climbing/2007/head-slabs/oct.13.07/fx/P1110327SM.jpg[/image]



*note:
please ignore the angle of the tree's, highway, river, etc. this is an optical illusion due to the angle of the sun, It really was that steep.. right JR?


the_climber


Oct 15, 2007, 8:32 AM
Post #231 of 2012 (6690 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 8, 2003
Posts: 6142

Re: [rockguide] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Nick's it is then.


the_climber


Oct 15, 2007, 8:34 AM
Post #232 of 2012 (6688 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 8, 2003
Posts: 6142

Re: [Crag_Dawg] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hahaha....

RC.com Cainine accounts.Laugh


climb_eng


Oct 15, 2007, 8:45 AM
Post #233 of 2012 (6685 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 23, 2007
Posts: 1701

Re: [skinner] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

EXTREME 5.4 CLIMBERS TRIP REPORT:

Cowbell Crag - Sunday October 15, 2007.

Memebers - Grant, Cathy, JP.

Time arrived - 1:00PM
Time finished - 6:00PM
Number of routes done - 2: a 5.6 & a 5.7
Ropegun - Grant

A successful outing, JP and Cathy's first time climbing in 2 months. Rock was dirty as hell (as usual) and made the normal grunting and groaning sounds that the loose choss of cowbell makes when you pull on it. Hazards included packrat shit all over the rock and prickle bushes around key foot and hand holds. Highlight of the day was Grant demonstrating that anchoring off of twigs is safe, provided you use and adiquate amount of twigs.

Also saw the fastest roped-solo climber in the world climbing next too us on a rather sketchy looking anchor.

Until next time:

-JP

PS

I will see ya'll at Nicks on Wednesday for some enormous fucking wings.


the_climber


Oct 15, 2007, 8:56 AM
Post #234 of 2012 (6684 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 8, 2003
Posts: 6142

Re: [climb_eng] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

EXTREME 5.4 CLIMBERS TRIP REPORT:

Super Secret New Slab... Oct 13, 2007

Rope Guns: Brenden, Kevin, Kyle, and Dave
Rope Sherpa: Harrison


6 new routes, 2 second accents ranging from 5.4 to 5.8 w/ a 5.9/10a direct finish.

Dirty? Yes
Chossy? Hellz no! This stuff is S O L I D!


(This post was edited by the_climber on Oct 15, 2007, 8:57 AM)


climb_eng


Oct 15, 2007, 9:02 AM
Post #235 of 2012 (6680 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 23, 2007
Posts: 1701

Re: [the_climber] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ooooo, sounds like fun.

-JP


jumpingrock


Oct 15, 2007, 9:09 AM
Post #236 of 2012 (6678 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 15, 2002
Posts: 5684

Re: [the_climber] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
EXTREME 5.4 CLIMBERS TRIP REPORT:

Super Secret New Slab... Oct 13, 2007

Rope Guns: Brenden, Kevin, Kyle, and Dave
Rope Sherpa: Harrison


6 new routes, 2 second accents ranging from 5.4 to 5.8 w/ a 5.9/10a direct finish.

Dirty? Yes
Chossy? Hellz no! This stuff is S O L I D!

Add another two lines on sunday. jumpingrock ridge 5.fun and Lust in a Black Cape 5.6; Fun stuff :-)


the_climber


Oct 15, 2007, 9:21 AM
Post #237 of 2012 (6675 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 8, 2003
Posts: 6142

Re: [jumpingrock] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Kevin.... I think we just created a new route junkieSly

jumpingrock wrote:
Add another two lines on sunday. jumpingrock ridge 5.fun and Lust in a Black Cape 5.6; Fun stuff :-)


rockguide


Oct 15, 2007, 9:21 AM
Post #238 of 2012 (6674 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 8, 2004
Posts: 1358

Re: [climb_eng] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

climb_eng wrote:
EXTREME 5.4 CLIMBERS TRIP REPORT:

Cowbell Crag - Sunday October 15, 2007.

Memebers - Grant, Cathy, JP.

Time arrived - 1:00PM
Time finished - 6:00PM
Number of routes done - 2: a 5.6 & a 5.7
Ropegun - Grant

A successful outing, JP and Cathy's first time climbing in 2 months. Rock was dirty as hell (as usual) and made the normal grunting and groaning sounds that the loose choss of cowbell makes when you pull on it. Hazards included packrat shit all over the rock and prickle bushes around key foot and hand holds. Highlight of the day was Grant demonstrating that anchoring off of twigs is safe, provided you use and adiquate amount of twigs.

Also saw the fastest roped-solo climber in the world climbing next too us on a rather sketchy looking anchor.

Until next time:

-JP

PS

I will see ya'll at Nicks on Wednesday for some enormous fucking wings.

5.6 and 5.7? aren't those grades a little .... extreme? How about some more 5.4 routes, for the rest of us?

B


the_climber


Oct 15, 2007, 9:25 AM
Post #239 of 2012 (6669 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 8, 2003
Posts: 6142

Re: [rockguide] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone on here long enough has heard reference to the East Coast 5.7 Mafia...

Well, we're kinda like them.... only we actually climb... sometimes.... all grades are WAY old school, carrying pins is normal, New Routing seems to be the dominant mandate to our climbing, beer and whiskey are our water, our golden piton award is given to the best mis-adventure/epic, and our Mascot is a 130 pount bullmastiff puppy named Harrison who carries our ropes..... Oh, and Grant is our token Brit.


the_climber


Oct 15, 2007, 9:26 AM
Post #240 of 2012 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 8, 2003
Posts: 6142

Re: [the_climber] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

GRANT! I still have your Ghost guide book, I'll bring it (again) on Wednesday.


climb_eng


Oct 15, 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #241 of 2012 (6661 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 23, 2007
Posts: 1701

Re: [the_climber] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
Anyone on here long enough has heard reference to the East Coast 5.7 Mafia...

Well, we're kinda like them.... only we actually climb... sometimes.... all grades are WAY old school, carrying pins is normal, New Routing seems to be the dominant mandate to our climbing, beer and whiskey are our water, our golden piton award is given to the best mis-adventure/epic, and our Mascot is a 130 pount bullmastiff puppy named Harrison who carries our ropes..... Oh, and Grant is our token Brit.

New routing is not the mandate of MY climbing unfortunetly. Right now I'm happy with getting off the ground personally... it's a big step forward for me.

That dog weight 130 lbs!?! Thats more then most of our girlfriends, jeezzus!

-JP -- who feels very bad for criticizing the mascot Unsure


the_climber


Oct 15, 2007, 2:33 PM
Post #242 of 2012 (6644 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 8, 2003
Posts: 6142

Re: [climb_eng] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dave contemplating the finishing crux moves on the FA of Dave Goes Gardening.
5.4++

Attachments: DaveGoesGardening.JPG (117 KB)


climb_eng


Oct 15, 2007, 2:56 PM
Post #243 of 2012 (6640 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 23, 2007
Posts: 1701

Re: [the_climber] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

That looks like Conglom. Is the super secret slab in the Highwood Pass area? It sure looks like it is :).


the_climber


Oct 15, 2007, 3:08 PM
Post #244 of 2012 (6636 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 8, 2003
Posts: 6142

Re: [climb_eng] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

climb_eng wrote:
That looks like Conglom. Is the super secret slab in the Highwood Pass area? It sure looks like it is :).

Technically there is no rock type called "Conglom". Further, by capitalizing the first letter you are indicating that this is a Formation(Fm) name. And I can say with certainty that there is no "Conglom Fm." within our area. Also the Highwood Pass is a mere 2sq.km (give or take) and is surrounded almost entirely by limestone with periodic shale bands, mostly of Devonian age if I remember correctly; a time in which very little sandstone or other clastic sedimentary rocks were deposited in what is now Southern Alberta. Both North and South of the pass there are outcrops of Cretaceous clasitic sedimentary rocks ranging from sandstone to conglomerate to a pseudo-quartzite.

Clear as Mud?


Thought so. Tongue


(This post was edited by the_climber on Oct 15, 2007, 3:09 PM)


climb_eng


Oct 15, 2007, 3:14 PM
Post #245 of 2012 (6632 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 23, 2007
Posts: 1701

Re: [the_climber] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
climb_eng wrote:
That looks like Conglom. Is the super secret slab in the Highwood Pass area? It sure looks like it is :).

Technically there is no rock type called "Conglom". Further, by capitalizing the first letter you are indicating that this is a Formation(Fm) name. And I can say with certainty that there is no "Conglom Fm." within our area. Also the Highwood Pass is a mere 2sq.km (give or take) and is surrounded almost entirely by limestone with periodic shale bands, mostly of Devonian age if I remember correctly; a time in which very little sandstone or other clastic sedimentary rocks were deposited in what is now Southern Alberta. Both North and South of the pass there are outcrops of Cretaceous clasitic sedimentary rocks ranging from sandstone to conglomerate to a pseudo-quartzite.

Clear as Mud?


Thought so. Tongue

Wow! Let that geek flag fly.


the_climber


Oct 15, 2007, 3:24 PM
Post #246 of 2012 (6631 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 8, 2003
Posts: 6142

Re: [climb_eng] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

climb_eng wrote:
the_climber wrote:
climb_eng wrote:
That looks like Conglom. Is the super secret slab in the Highwood Pass area? It sure looks like it is :).

Technically there is no rock type called "Conglom". Further, by capitalizing the first letter you are indicating that this is a Formation(Fm) name. And I can say with certainty that there is no "Conglom Fm." within our area. Also the Highwood Pass is a mere 2sq.km (give or take) and is surrounded almost entirely by limestone with periodic shale bands, mostly of Devonian age if I remember correctly; a time in which very little sandstone or other clastic sedimentary rocks were deposited in what is now Southern Alberta. Both North and South of the pass there are outcrops of Cretaceous clasitic sedimentary rocks ranging from sandstone to conglomerate to a pseudo-quartzite.

Clear as Mud?


Thought so. Tongue

Wow! Let that geek flag fly.

Proud of it! You would not believe what a little bit of "geek" know how can do for finding good rock. I, however, have never lost my drinking champ title. *Proud member of the Geology Students who have out drunk'd busloads of Engineerding Students Fraternaty*


darkside


Oct 15, 2007, 5:01 PM
Post #247 of 2012 (6623 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 14, 2001
Posts: 1687

Re: [rockguide] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

rockguide wrote:

5.6 and 5.7? aren't those grades a little .... extreme? How about some more 5.4 routes, for the rest of us?

B
My apologies for JP's misreading of the guidebook. In keeping with my rule of 5's I also kept within 5.4 for the trip. I base this on taking twice as long to climb these routes as the stuff I was doing in Nevada last week. Therefore by taking twice the time, the grades should be reduced by an equal ratio. The corrected grades thereby being a 5.3 and a 5.3+ (that could also be considered as a 5.4- but I don't brag like that).
I hope that makes matters as clear as cONGLOM mUd.

That concludes my extreme amount of post whoreing for this week. See ya'll at .... Nicks????


rockguide


Oct 15, 2007, 5:35 PM
Post #248 of 2012 (6617 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 8, 2004
Posts: 1358

Re: [darkside] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

darkside wrote:
rockguide wrote:

5.6 and 5.7? aren't those grades a little .... extreme? How about some more 5.4 routes, for the rest of us?

B
My apologies for JP's misreading of the guidebook. In keeping with my rule of 5's I also kept within 5.4 for the trip. I base this on taking twice as long to climb these routes as the stuff I was doing in Nevada last week. Therefore by taking twice the time, the grades should be reduced by an equal ratio. The corrected grades thereby being a 5.3 and a 5.3+ (that could also be considered as a 5.4- but I don't brag like that).
I hope that makes matters as clear as cONGLOM mUd.

That concludes my extreme amount of post whoreing for this week. See ya'll at .... Nicks????

NIcks it is - for the expansive wings, limited beer selection and sharp-as-a balloon service.


jumpingrock


Oct 15, 2007, 8:04 PM
Post #249 of 2012 (6585 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 15, 2002
Posts: 5684

Re: [rockguide] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Brian, funny story. I met a friend of yours at work today. Turns out she knows a climbing guide who wasn't making enough money so he learned how to write and became a technical writer. Any guesses who? (The friend, not the guide that became a writer since we all know who that is) Anyway, she wants you to take her up a multipitch climb.


rockguide


Oct 15, 2007, 8:40 PM
Post #250 of 2012 (6582 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 8, 2004
Posts: 1358

Re: [jumpingrock] Bow Valley Drinking & Extreme 5.4 Climbers Information Hub. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

LOL

OK - it wasn't about the stacks of mad cash (guiding actually paid well ... in the summer) - I was ready for a break and a steady (rather than contract) living.

B

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 81 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$17.95 (10% off)
$12.56 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)
$35.96 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook