Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Stick Clip Rules?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: Stick Clip Rules?
1 bolt? 45 / 68%
2 bolts? 7 / 11%
1/3rd the bolts? 0 / 0%
1/2 the bolts? 1 / 2%
All of them, you still lead it. 13 / 20%
66 total votes
 

donald949


May 24, 2013, 9:51 AM
Post #101 of 109 (970 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 24, 2007
Posts: 11393

Re: [csproul] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
The longest I've seen are window washer poles. They're a bit heavy, but they extend pretty far. Not sure how long they make them, but one of my partners has one that is 25-30 ft.
Can they be screwed together, I need one about twice that long.


csproul


May 24, 2013, 10:07 AM
Post #102 of 109 (961 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Posts: 1768

Re: [donald949] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
csproul wrote:
The longest I've seen are window washer poles. They're a bit heavy, but they extend pretty far. Not sure how long they make them, but one of my partners has one that is 25-30 ft.
Can they be screwed together, I need one about twice that long.
I think that's just called top-roping! Seriously, what are you trying to clip that you need something 50-60 long? a 25 ft pole plus an average person reach should be able to clip something at 35 ft. More than enough for every 1st bolt (and a lot of 2nd bolts) that I've come across. I doubt you'd be able to control a stick that was 50 ft long anyway.


camhead


May 24, 2013, 10:11 AM
Post #103 of 109 (960 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20760

Re: [csproul] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
donald949 wrote:
csproul wrote:
The longest I've seen are window washer poles. They're a bit heavy, but they extend pretty far. Not sure how long they make them, but one of my partners has one that is 25-30 ft.
Can they be screwed together, I need one about twice that long.
I think that's just called top-roping! Seriously, what are you trying to clip that you need something 50-60 long? a 25 ft pole plus an average person reach should be able to clip something at 35 ft. More than enough for every 1st bolt (and a lot of 2nd bolts) that I've come across. I doubt you'd be able to control a stick that was 50 ft long anyway.

A lot of people think that longer sticks are cool, but they usually are just floppy and get in the way. Plus, I've heard that a lot of routes like a shorter stick, since it means the user must be more attentive. Not to mention, girth is just as important as length, which has not been discussed yet in here...


... wait, what are we talking about again?


donald949


May 24, 2013, 10:41 AM
Post #104 of 109 (951 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 24, 2007
Posts: 11393

Re: [csproul] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
donald949 wrote:
csproul wrote:
The longest I've seen are window washer poles. They're a bit heavy, but they extend pretty far. Not sure how long they make them, but one of my partners has one that is 25-30 ft.
Can they be screwed together, I need one about twice that long.
I think that's just called top-roping! Seriously, what are you trying to clip that you need something 50-60 long? a 25 ft pole plus an average person reach should be able to clip something at 35 ft. More than enough for every 1st bolt (and a lot of 2nd bolts) that I've come across. I doubt you'd be able to control a stick that was 50 ft long anyway.
Well no, it wouldn't be a TR. The route is longer than that. But yes I am concerned about it getting floppy.


losbill


May 24, 2013, 10:43 AM
Post #105 of 109 (949 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 14, 2004
Posts: 416

Re: [camhead] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Great thread. Can somebody get one going on the ethics and techniques of stacking up cheater stones?


kennoyce


May 24, 2013, 11:53 AM
Post #106 of 109 (925 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2001
Posts: 1316

Re: [losbill] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
Great thread. Can somebody get one going on the ethics and techniques of stacking up cheater stones?

oh, you mean bouldering up to the first bolt, yeah, that was already brought up back on page 1.


dagibbs


May 24, 2013, 1:53 PM
Post #107 of 109 (900 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2007
Posts: 891

Re: [losbill] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
Great thread. Can somebody get one going on the ethics and techniques of stacking up cheater stones?

I would say they are different. Pre-clipping a bolt reduces the risk of injury, while still doing the moves. Stacking cheater stones reduces the actual moves that need to be done.


curt


May 27, 2013, 11:29 PM
Post #108 of 109 (848 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18230

Re: [jt512] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jomagam wrote:
jt512 wrote:
They're higher than a lot of places I climb, but I stick clip the first bolt unless I am sure that I won't fall before clipping it. Hitting the ground is never a "good landing," IMO.

I associate Smith Rock with high first bolts. Barbecue The Pope for example.

I associate ground falls with broken bones.

Barbecue the Pope is 10b.

Curt


curt


May 27, 2013, 11:34 PM
Post #109 of 109 (844 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18230

Re: [losbill] Stick Clip Rules? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

losbill wrote:
Great thread. Can somebody get one going on the ethics and techniques of stacking up cheater stones?

Regular cheater stones or extendable cheater stones?

Curt

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$6.75 (10% off)
$19.76 (10% off)
$107.96 (10% off)
$53.96 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook