Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Anyone else lift weights here?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All


gmggg


Sep 18, 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #76 of 231 (4118 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 25, 2009
Posts: 2099

Re: [jt512] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Tactix23 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Tactix23 wrote:
so many fitness noobs on here.. you derive power from your legs, yeah squats will definitely hurt your climbing!

What's your climbing level?

Jay

That has nothing to do with this thread. But I climb v5, 5.10 indoor. And that's probably lower than what I can climb seeing as gyms outside new york are much easier to climb in. I've been climbing for 5 months now

Quoted for posterity.

Jay

Good move.


jt512


Sep 18, 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #77 of 231 (4118 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21893

Re: [Tactix23] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Tactix23 wrote:
TerminalVelocity wrote:
Tactix23 wrote:
so many fitness noobs on here.. you derive power from your legs, yeah squats will definitely hurt your climbing!

Says the guy asking for advice.

There seems to be a lot of miss communication on this website.

We have a beauty pageant runner-up on the website? Who? Not Sarah Palin, I hope.

Jay


jt512


Sep 18, 2009, 10:47 AM
Post #78 of 231 (4116 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21893

Re: [Tactix23] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Tactix23 wrote:
From what I have seen, people either lift or climb. Not both (unless they are not serious about one)

Take a hint from that, you clueless twit.

Jay


MS1


Sep 18, 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #79 of 231 (4111 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 24, 2009
Posts: 560

Re: [Tactix23] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Tactix, it is surprising that the following fact isn't obvious to you: Your climbing performance can be limited by having too much muscle mass on your body. If you want to pull hard, it is better to be shaped like Adam Ondra than the Rock.

I guess, in your worldview, all jockeys should bulk up and get big. After all, they can pull harder on the reins if they have bigger lats, right?


Tactix23


Sep 18, 2009, 11:04 AM
Post #80 of 231 (4110 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 29, 2009
Posts: 141

Re: [jt512] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Tactix23 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Tactix23 wrote:
so many fitness noobs on here.. you derive power from your legs, yeah squats will definitely hurt your climbing!

What's your climbing level?

Jay

That has nothing to do with this thread. But I climb v5, 5.10 indoor. And that's probably lower than what I can climb seeing as gyms outside new york are much easier to climb in. I've been climbing for 5 months now

Quoted for posterity.

Jay

Not to be a dick, but I climb pretty fucking well for how new I am. So quote me all you want lol... I climb better than people who have been doing it for awhile now.

So how much do you bench? Care to explain why squats are bad for climbing? Or did you really just mean to say a lot of muscle mass is bad for climbing. You get what I am saying right?


MS1


Sep 18, 2009, 11:06 AM
Post #81 of 231 (4106 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 24, 2009
Posts: 560

Re: [Tactix23] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just look at how limited he is by those skinny, weak legs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrc2JKEc_bs


Tactix23


Sep 18, 2009, 11:08 AM
Post #82 of 231 (4104 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 29, 2009
Posts: 141

Re: [MS1] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
Tactix, it is surprising that the following fact isn't obvious to you: Your climbing performance can be limited by having too much muscle mass on your body. If you want to pull hard, it is better to be shaped like Adam Ondra than the Rock.

I guess, in your worldview, all jockeys should bulk up and get big. After all, they can pull harder on the reins if they have bigger lats, right?

What the hell are you talking about? You elitist climbers can't seem to pull your heads out of your own smug asses. I wasn't asking "How do I get jacked, and will I climb good mad jacked yo?"

I was asking if there were any climbers on here who enjoyed looking well balanced. Not having big shoulders and small chests. You think my climbing ability would be highly hindered if I gained 4 pounds all in my chest? No fucking way, I'm sorry.

The squats are merely to keep my legs strong, work my core and nobody should go without leg work. I'm sorry. On the other hand, I didn't say I was going to do squats to the point were my legs were the size of tree trunks.

Not all of us here wish we were professional climbers. Some of us do it for fun. So I could care less if some random douche in ohio who climbs 5.14 scoffs at my 5.10 indoor and laughs that I want to bench press. Get a clue. lol


Tactix23


Sep 18, 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #83 of 231 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 29, 2009
Posts: 141

Re: [MS1] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
Just look at how limited he is by those skinny, weak legs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrc2JKEc_bs

Nodody said you needed big legs to be a good climber. Nobody said that strong legs are necessarily "big".


Tactix23


Sep 18, 2009, 11:12 AM
Post #84 of 231 (4099 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 29, 2009
Posts: 141

Re: [jt512] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Tactix23 wrote:
From what I have seen, people either lift or climb. Not both (unless they are not serious about one)

Take a hint from that, you clueless twit.

Jay

You're telling me to get a clue??? Wow, this guy is oblivious to anything but himself


MS1


Sep 18, 2009, 11:13 AM
Post #85 of 231 (4095 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 24, 2009
Posts: 560

Re: [Tactix23] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dude, if you want to be big and climb a little less hard, fine by me. What people are reacting to is your incredulity that doing squats could limit your climbing performance.


Tactix23


Sep 18, 2009, 11:14 AM
Post #86 of 231 (4089 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 29, 2009
Posts: 141

Re: [Tactix23] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm surprised such and old douche like yourself can't learn to stay out of threads you don't belong in.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...pe_s_Core_23497.html
but thanks dad!


(This post was edited by Tactix23 on Sep 18, 2009, 11:17 AM)


Tactix23


Sep 18, 2009, 11:16 AM
Post #87 of 231 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 29, 2009
Posts: 141

Re: [MS1] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

MS1 wrote:
Dude, if you want to be big and climb a little less hard, fine by me. What people are reacting to is your incredulity that doing squats could limit your climbing performance.

Once again, I don't want to be bigger as a person. I want a bigger CHEST and TRICEPS. Which don't get worked much in climbing

And last but not least, you do realize that exercises can be done in many different ways correct? One can do squats with low weight for higher reps correct?


sidepull


Sep 18, 2009, 11:16 AM
Post #88 of 231 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 11, 2001
Posts: 2335

Re: [serpico] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

serpico wrote:
In reply to:
serpico (if I'm not mistaken) is a proponent of (some) strength training for rock climbers.

Some strength training for some rock climbers, I think the majority of climbers don't have the time to prioritise the climbing and fit strength/conditioning sessions in - climbing must come first.
For me I like the idea of having my crag time completely devoted to quality movement and then working on the strength component later using weights, floor work, fingerboards, and system boards.
Using this approach I've upped my bouldering grade 2-3 grades over the last 2yrs, which at 41 and after nearly 20yrs of climbing is I think a reasonable improvement, and I think I've got at least another grade in me...

Serpico,

I don't want to tarnish this thread with "sense" so would you mind posting more details in a new thread?


jt512


Sep 18, 2009, 11:19 AM
Post #89 of 231 (4081 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21893

Re: [Tactix23] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Tactix23 wrote:
So how much do you bench?

I don't. Why would I?

In reply to:
Care to explain why squats are bad for climbing?

Not to you.

Jay


(This post was edited by jt512 on Sep 18, 2009, 11:27 AM)


Tactix23


Sep 18, 2009, 11:20 AM
Post #90 of 231 (4078 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 29, 2009
Posts: 141

Re: [sidepull] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
serpico wrote:
In reply to:
serpico (if I'm not mistaken) is a proponent of (some) strength training for rock climbers.

Some strength training for some rock climbers, I think the majority of climbers don't have the time to prioritise the climbing and fit strength/conditioning sessions in - climbing must come first.
For me I like the idea of having my crag time completely devoted to quality movement and then working on the strength component later using weights, floor work, fingerboards, and system boards.
Using this approach I've upped my bouldering grade 2-3 grades over the last 2yrs, which at 41 and after nearly 20yrs of climbing is I think a reasonable improvement, and I think I've got at least another grade in me...

Serpico,

I don't want to tarnish this thread with "sense" so would you mind posting more details in a new thread?

There would have been less bullshit in this thread if the elitist scumbags stayed out. That is the trend on this website however. I don't butt my noise into threads about shit I don't care or know anything about so neither should grandpa


jt512


Sep 18, 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #91 of 231 (4075 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21893

Re: [Tactix23] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Tactix23 wrote:
I'm surprised such and old douche like yourself can't learn to stay out of threads you don't belong in.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...pe_s_Core_23497.html
but thanks dad!

Sorry, Child. I'll stay out of your the rest of your thread. Let me know if you want to know how to climb 5.13, you know, like I do.

Jay


Tactix23


Sep 18, 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #92 of 231 (4071 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 29, 2009
Posts: 141

Re: [jt512] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Tactix23 wrote:
I'm surprised such and old douche like yourself can't learn to stay out of threads you don't belong in.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...pe_s_Core_23497.html
but thanks dad!

Sorry, Child. I'll stay out of your the rest of your thread. Let me know if you want to know how to climb 5.13, you know, like I do.

Jay
Nevermind. Goodbye!


(This post was edited by Tactix23 on Sep 18, 2009, 11:26 AM)


MS1


Sep 18, 2009, 11:27 AM
Post #93 of 231 (4068 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 24, 2009
Posts: 560

Re: [Tactix23] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Tactix is apparently shocked that, after he posted his plans for a workout schedule in a "technique and training" forum on a website called rockclimbing.com, various rock climbers discussed the effect it might have on his ability to climb rocks.


csproul


Sep 18, 2009, 12:10 PM
Post #94 of 231 (4048 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Posts: 1768

Re: [jt512] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Tactix23 wrote:
I'm surprised such and old douche like yourself can't learn to stay out of threads you don't belong in.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...pe_s_Core_23497.html
but thanks dad!

Sorry, Child. I'll stay out of your the rest of your thread. Let me know if you want to know how to climb 5.13, you know, like I do.

Jay
So wait a minute Jay, is your ascent log not up to date...I don't see any 13's in there?Tongue


mr.tastycakes


Sep 18, 2009, 1:16 PM
Post #95 of 231 (4033 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 10, 2008
Posts: 310

Re: [csproul] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sorry to interrupt the pissing match going on here, but i've got some questions.

(generalizing a bit here) Most people who practice or train people for "skill sports" have rejected the notion that lifting weights necessarily makes you overly bulky, inflexible, and slow. Even people who participate in sports where weight matters and players should be lean and mean (i.e. wrestling, boxing, other martial arts) see value in strength training. What makes climbing inherently different?

All other things being equal (movement skills, athletic attributes, mental game), won't the physically stronger climber climb harder?

For those who discourage strength training for climbing, is your opinion based on the idea that strength training itself is bad for climbing, or on the idea that one will have to sacrifice climbing time (or recovery time) to train strength?

There are some very knowledgeable people on this board and some damn strong climbers...it's a shame that so many threads turn to shit. how about leaving the flaming for the general forum?


jt512


Sep 18, 2009, 1:20 PM
Post #96 of 231 (4029 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21893

Re: [csproul] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Tactix23 wrote:
I'm surprised such and old douche like yourself can't learn to stay out of threads you don't belong in.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...pe_s_Core_23497.html
but thanks dad!

Sorry, Child. I'll stay out of your the rest of your thread. Let me know if you want to know how to climb 5.13, you know, like I do.

Jay
So wait a minute Jay, is your ascent log not up to date...I don't see any 13's in there?Tongue

I shouldn't have said I "climb" 5.13. That's a classic overstatement. I've only rp'ed one 13, and it's not in the route DB.

Jay


MikeSaint


Sep 18, 2009, 1:27 PM
Post #97 of 231 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 19, 2007
Posts: 426

Sit and take notes. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you get on Youtube and look up Ronnie Coleman you will see that you can be JACKED and still rock climb.

Nothing but peanuts suckas.


(This post was edited by MikeSaint on Sep 18, 2009, 1:30 PM)


reno


Sep 18, 2009, 1:29 PM
Post #98 of 231 (4023 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 30, 2001
Posts: 18283

Re: [mr.tastycakes] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mr.tastycakes wrote:
sorry to interrupt the pissing match going on here, but i've got some questions.

(generalizing a bit here) Most people who practice or train people for "skill sports" have rejected the notion that lifting weights necessarily makes you overly bulky, inflexible, and slow. Even people who participate in sports where weight matters and players should be lean and mean (i.e. wrestling, boxing, other martial arts) see value in strength training. What makes climbing inherently different?

None of those involve battling gravity to quite the extent that climbing does. Given that strength training generally involves adding muscle mass, a greater muscle mass = more weight to pull up the rock.

Certainly there can be a balance, but as far as I know, there are few studies that show a positive correlation between doing weight training and climbing better/higher grades.

In reply to:
All other things being equal (movement skills, athletic attributes, mental game), won't the physically stronger climber climb harder?

No. The climber with better technique and greater muscle endurance will climb harder.


johnwesely


Sep 18, 2009, 2:08 PM
Post #99 of 231 (4006 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [mr.tastycakes] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mr.tastycakes wrote:

For those who discourage strength training for climbing, is your opinion based on the idea that strength training itself is bad for climbing, or on the idea that one will have to sacrifice climbing time (or recovery time) to train strength?

Lifting weights is not specific to climbing. There is no workout that I know of that even remotely simulates climbing's use of the forearms. When you are climbing, you fall because your forearms give out. Your forearms give out because they are stressed. The more you weigh, the more they are stressed.


mr.tastycakes


Sep 18, 2009, 2:35 PM
Post #100 of 231 (3995 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 10, 2008
Posts: 310

Re: [johnwesely] Anyone else lift weights here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Lifting weights is not specific to climbing.

no argument from me here. it isn't specific to any sport, except weightlifting.

In reply to:
There is no workout that I know of that even remotely simulates climbing's use of the forearms.

fair enough.

In reply to:
When you are climbing, you fall because your forearms give out.

well, you can fall for any number of reasons. A vicious pump isn't the only cause of falls.

In reply to:
Your forearms give out because they are stressed. The more you weigh, the more they are stressed.

fair enough.

So you're of the opinion that one can't increase strength without gaining weight?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$3.56 (10% off)
$49.46 (10% off)
$35.96 (10% off)
$13.46 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook