Forums: Climbing Information: Climbing History & Trivia:
List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

 


sungam


Apr 23, 2010, 10:20 AM
Post #1 of 54 (6311 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26569

List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yeah, we need a little encyclopedia climbatica action here. I want a list of all the worthy hardmen (and women) that put the balls (of muff) to the wall and pulled off some neat stuff. I'll order the stuff into alphabeticalness and stuff.

So here it is,
Who's Who in climbing history:
A
Abalakov, Vitaly. 1906 - 1986 Russain Alpinist. Invented the Abalakov/V-thread.

B
Balmat, Jacques. 1762–1834. First ascent of Mont Blanc.

C
Riccardo Cassin. 1909-2009. Italian alpinist. Literally thousands of first ascents of technical routes all over the world. Started Cassin equipment. Decorated for military achievement for the Italian resistance partisans.

D
Dawes Johnny. 1964 -. British rock climber. First ascents of routes with both very high technical difficulty and striking risk (poor gear, long run outs). Most known for his routes on the English Gritstone.

E

F
Frost, Tom. ????-. First ascents on Yosemite big walls, and some in the greater ranges. Also, first ascent of Lotus Flower Tower in the Cirque of the Unclimbables. Owner of Frostworks. Co-invented the RURP with Yvon.

G
Gill, John. 1937 - . The father of bouldering. First to use chalk and dynamic movement. Among the first to view bouldering as it's own sport and not just training. Please note that the beanies and boom-boxes were not his idea.

H
Humar, Tomaž. 1969 - 2009. Slovenian alpinist and big-waller. Famous for his bold new routes and solos in the greater ranges.

I

J

K
Kain, Conrad. 1883-1934. Austrian super-guide. First ascents of serious peaks in Europe and Canada, including the stunning Bugaboo Spire.

L
Lowe, Alex. 1958-1999. American alpinist and ultra-badass.

I'll finish this later, I have an exam on monday that I should probably get back to studying for.


jcrew


Apr 23, 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #2 of 54 (6291 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 11, 2006
Posts: 673

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
I want a list of all the worthy hardmen

J

.

j jcrew .....guy basicially invented the concept of going big on the intenet, then being on "rest day" at the crag.


karmiclimber


Apr 23, 2010, 11:39 AM
Post #3 of 54 (6262 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 10, 2004
Posts: 1058

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Before everyone replies, adding their name to the list...there is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_climbers

Personal favorites:
Yvon Choinard...founder of Choinard gear and patagonia.

Lynn Hill...feed the nose. I want to be just like her when I growed up.


johnwesely


Apr 23, 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #4 of 54 (6258 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
E

Ebert, Jim. Has guided more clients in more mountain states, 7, and more alpine countries, 11, than any other guide with a perfect safety record.


Dip


Apr 23, 2010, 1:19 PM
Post #5 of 54 (6220 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 16, 2009
Posts: 269

Re: [johnwesely] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

^^^ literally made me laugh out loud ^^^


karmiclimber


Apr 23, 2010, 3:02 PM
Post #6 of 54 (6188 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 10, 2004
Posts: 1058

Re: [johnwesely] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Laugh all you want but you should research about people before you laugh at them. He charges good money to take people who cannot walk hiking in the Grand Canyon. When was the last time you did something nice for someone else and made an awesome profit?!? Food for thoughts.


johnwesely


Apr 23, 2010, 3:05 PM
Post #7 of 54 (6182 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [karmiclimber] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
Laugh all you want but you should research about people before you laugh at them. He charges good money to take people who cannot walk hiking in the Grand Canyon. When was the last time you did something nice for someone else and made an awesome profit?!? Food for thoughts.

Never.

I am sure Jim is a great guy, but that doesn't mean that he is not also a pretty funny dude.


karmiclimber


Apr 23, 2010, 3:08 PM
Post #8 of 54 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 10, 2004
Posts: 1058

Re: [johnwesely] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

God, I am just glad someone out there is saving all of the top ropers who are dying left and right. He said in his resume that no one ever got injured on a trip with him that could not be fixed with a bandaid. Broken foot? Put a bandaid on that sucker and quit yer bitchin'.


johnwesely


Apr 23, 2010, 3:13 PM
Post #9 of 54 (6175 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [karmiclimber] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
God, I am just glad someone out there is saving all of the top ropers who are dying left and right. He said in his resume that no one ever got injured on a trip with him that could not be fixed with a bandaid. Broken foot? Put a bandaid on that sucker and quit yer bitchin'.

I am pretty sure that you misread the pdf. He never had an injury that could not be fixed with a bandaid or and ace bandage. He only says it a million times. How dare you slander JIM EBERT like that.


johnwesely


Apr 23, 2010, 3:13 PM
Post #10 of 54 (6173 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Oh, and to be on topic.

R for Royal
R for Robbins


karmiclimber


Apr 23, 2010, 3:14 PM
Post #11 of 54 (6171 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 10, 2004
Posts: 1058

Re: [johnwesely] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

We should call him. No you should call him. Record him and put it on your blog. I double dog dare you.


hafilax


Apr 23, 2010, 3:17 PM
Post #12 of 54 (6165 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 11, 2007
Posts: 3025

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Twight, Mark. In the straight bad-ass category.


johnwesely


Apr 23, 2010, 3:18 PM
Post #13 of 54 (6162 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [karmiclimber] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
We should call him. No you should call him. Record him and put it on your blog. I double dog dare you.

My blog couldn't handle it, but I am sure yours could.


irregularpanda


Apr 23, 2010, 3:54 PM
Post #14 of 54 (6142 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 13, 2007
Posts: 1364

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:

B
Balmat, Jacques. 1762–1834. First ascent of Mont Blanc.

Beckey, Fred.

Still alive, although only your mom and china has any idea of his whereabouts recently. More first ascents than....your mom.


nkane


Apr 23, 2010, 4:15 PM
Post #15 of 54 (6122 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 12, 2006
Posts: 143

Re: [irregularpanda] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Wiessner, Fritz
Kraus, Hans
Bachar, John
Long, John
Whymper, Edward
Shipton, Eric

---

Me.


staredge


Apr 23, 2010, 6:08 PM
Post #16 of 54 (6102 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 25, 2006
Posts: 23

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

S

Schoening, Pete.
Most famous belay bitch in the mountaineering world.


staredge


Apr 23, 2010, 6:10 PM
Post #17 of 54 (6101 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 25, 2006
Posts: 23

Re: [Dip] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dip wrote:
^^^ literally made me laugh out loud ^^^

+1


i_h8_choss


Apr 24, 2010, 2:02 AM
Post #18 of 54 (6055 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 2, 2007
Posts: 694

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Matt Wilder

he's freed Yosemite big walls, climbs 5.14R on gear, and sends V14 boulders. All while working on his Phd in cognitive science. He is the author of 2 guidebooks (Yosemite Bouldering & Hueco Tanks Bouldering), and he used to be a rubik's cube performer on the street. That's all pretty bad-ass IMO.

notable ascents:
-FFA of Cheating Reality 5.14R N face Devils Thumb.
-FA of Viceroy 5.14 R (unrepeated)
-Sent The Path 5.14.
-FA's of 2 buttermilk highballs This Side of Paradise (V10) and The Ninth (V7). They are both 50 feet or higher.

interview: http://gtotheregory.blogspot.com/...ilder-interview.html

It'd be nice to see him on your list.


bennydh


Apr 24, 2010, 2:36 AM
Post #19 of 54 (6051 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 1, 2005
Posts: 368

Re: [karmiclimber] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
We should call him. No you should call him. Record him and put it on your blog. I double dog dare you.

This thread also made me laugh. If someone gets the audio, I'll post it ... at least until I see a 'cease and desist' letter.

For the list:
E: Ed Webster - I've always thought he had a good perspective on alpine/mountaineering worth sharing.

P: Phil Bircheff on a good day, for FAs and sculptures

and

P: Phil Bircheff on a bad day, for being that crusty cranky old guy.


sungam


Apr 24, 2010, 2:38 AM
Post #20 of 54 (6051 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26569

Re: [i_h8_choss] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, Matt Wilder I like!
Fred becky will OBVIOUSLY make the list. Indeed all of the ones on the wiki list will be on it. Let's get some names that aren't on it down!
Come on - who developed all your local crags? Who put up the testpieces you aspire to climb in your state?
Post 'em UP!


iknowfear


Apr 24, 2010, 4:48 AM
Post #21 of 54 (6040 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 8, 2004
Posts: 637

Re: [karmiclimber] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
Before everyone replies, adding their name to the list...there is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_climbers

Personal favorites:
Yvon Choinard...founder of Choinard gear and patagonia.

Lynn Hill...feed the nose. I want to be just like her when I growed up.

that sound yummy


johnwesely


Apr 24, 2010, 7:37 AM
Post #22 of 54 (6016 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Okay, Matt Wilder I like!
Fred becky will OBVIOUSLY make the list. Indeed all of the ones on the wiki list will be on it. Let's get some names that aren't on it down!
Come on - who developed all your local crags? Who put up the testpieces you aspire to climb in your state?
Post 'em UP!

Stegg, Shannon, The Epitome of the southern hardman.

He put up almost every route at Tallulah, and half of the routes at Laurel Knob, including the only 5.12s.


colatownkid


Apr 24, 2010, 8:48 AM
Post #23 of 54 (6001 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 27, 2007
Posts: 512

Re: [johnwesely] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
Okay, Matt Wilder I like!
Fred becky will OBVIOUSLY make the list. Indeed all of the ones on the wiki list will be on it. Let's get some names that aren't on it down!
Come on - who developed all your local crags? Who put up the testpieces you aspire to climb in your state?
Post 'em UP!

Stegg, Shannon, The Epitome of the southern hardman.

He put up almost every route at Tallulah, and half of the routes at Laurel Knob, including the only 5.12s.

In that case we probably can't overlook Arno Ilgner or Rob Robinson either.


johnwesely


Apr 24, 2010, 8:50 AM
Post #24 of 54 (6000 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [colatownkid] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

colatownkid wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
Okay, Matt Wilder I like!
Fred becky will OBVIOUSLY make the list. Indeed all of the ones on the wiki list will be on it. Let's get some names that aren't on it down!
Come on - who developed all your local crags? Who put up the testpieces you aspire to climb in your state?
Post 'em UP!

Stegg, Shannon, The Epitome of the southern hardman.

He put up almost every route at Tallulah, and half of the routes at Laurel Knob, including the only 5.12s.

In that case we probably can't overlook Arno Ilgner or Rob Robinson either.

Agreed.


sungam


Apr 24, 2010, 9:10 AM
Post #25 of 54 (5994 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26569

Re: [johnwesely] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
colatownkid wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
Okay, Matt Wilder I like!
Fred becky will OBVIOUSLY make the list. Indeed all of the ones on the wiki list will be on it. Let's get some names that aren't on it down!
Come on - who developed all your local crags? Who put up the testpieces you aspire to climb in your state?
Post 'em UP!

Stegg, Shannon, The Epitome of the southern hardman.

He put up almost every route at Tallulah, and half of the routes at Laurel Knob, including the only 5.12s.

In that case we probably can't overlook Arno Ilgner or Rob Robinson either.

Agreed.
Can you guys give me little snippets like I have on the list? Preferably with where they're from/operated and when.


johnwesely


Apr 24, 2010, 9:51 AM
Post #26 of 54 (4386 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
colatownkid wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
Okay, Matt Wilder I like!
Fred becky will OBVIOUSLY make the list. Indeed all of the ones on the wiki list will be on it. Let's get some names that aren't on it down!
Come on - who developed all your local crags? Who put up the testpieces you aspire to climb in your state?
Post 'em UP!

Stegg, Shannon, The Epitome of the southern hardman.

He put up almost every route at Tallulah, and half of the routes at Laurel Knob, including the only 5.12s.

In that case we probably can't overlook Arno Ilgner or Rob Robinson either.

Agreed.
Can you guys give me little snippets like I have on the list? Preferably with where they're from/operated and when.

Shannon Stegg, late seventies to the present, Responsible for hard, bold traditional climbs all over the southeast. Most notable for almost every route at Tallulah, Over 50 pitches at Whitesides, including the only route with no bolts on the main South East face, and almost half of the lines at Laurel Knob.

I don't have enough info on Arno, outside of his stuff at Whitesides, to write one.

Same deal with Rob Robinson. However, there is a really great interview with him on the SCC website.
http://www.seclimbers.org/...;order=0&thold=0


potreroed


Apr 24, 2010, 8:14 PM
Post #27 of 54 (4365 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2001
Posts: 1448

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

B Baillie, Rusty

C Cleveland, Pete

E Erickson, Jim


i_h8_choss


May 7, 2010, 3:53 PM
Post #28 of 54 (4288 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 2, 2007
Posts: 694

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Peter Croft

Sierra Nevada Mtns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...eter_Croft_(climber)

Royal Robbins calls this guy his "hero"

nuff said


Partner rgold


May 7, 2010, 8:45 PM
Post #29 of 54 (4270 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 3, 2002
Posts: 1800

Re: [i_h8_choss] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just for openers,

John Bragg
Art Gran
Jim McCarthy
Rich Romano
John Stannard
Dick Williams
Steve Wunsch

The East Coast, from north to south, gets especially short shrift on the Wiki.


sungam


May 8, 2010, 3:26 AM
Post #30 of 54 (4257 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26569

Re: [rgold] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Keep 'em coming. I'll get around to sorting through them all and compiling the list soon as finals are over. (2 weeks or so)


sycamore


May 8, 2010, 6:15 AM
Post #31 of 54 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 26, 2002
Posts: 161

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If this is your standard, then it's gotta be said:

Porter Jarrard
Doug Reed

I don't even know how many routes of theirs I (or you) have climbed.


guangzhou


May 10, 2010, 9:21 PM
Post #32 of 54 (4205 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3389

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

E for Eman


rangerrob


May 11, 2010, 7:47 PM
Post #33 of 54 (4169 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 7, 2003
Posts: 641

Re: [guangzhou] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Henry Barber
John Stannard
Fred Beckey


napoleon_in_rags


May 12, 2010, 6:07 PM
Post #34 of 54 (4145 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 31, 2004
Posts: 584

Re: [rangerrob] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The Gunks List:

Fritz Wiesner
Hans Kraus
Dick Williams
Lynn Hill


sungam


May 13, 2010, 5:21 AM
Post #35 of 54 (4124 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26569

Re: [napoleon_in_rags] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys/gals, some of the people listed don't have tons of info available online - would people be keen on writing up a short biography on their favorite local hero/ine/s? I've decided that the little short things I did in the examples is NOT enough, we should have a nice big info on everybody.


napoleon_in_rags


May 13, 2010, 6:55 PM
Post #36 of 54 (4105 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 31, 2004
Posts: 584

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Hey guys/gals, some of the people listed don't have tons of info available online - would people be keen on writing up a short biography on their favorite local hero/ine/s? I've decided that the little short things I did in the examples is NOT enough, we should have a nice big info on everybody.

A good start for the US rock climbers is "American Rock" by Don Mellor. Good Book.


sungam


May 14, 2010, 2:07 AM
Post #37 of 54 (4089 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26569

Re: [napoleon_in_rags] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

napoleon_in_rags wrote:
sungam wrote:
Hey guys/gals, some of the people listed don't have tons of info available online - would people be keen on writing up a short biography on their favorite local hero/ine/s? I've decided that the little short things I did in the examples is NOT enough, we should have a nice big info on everybody.

A good start for the US rock climbers is "American Rock" by Don Mellor. Good Book.
Bookscan sukkit, I want to know what the locals think about their local badasses!


curt


May 15, 2010, 9:04 PM
Post #38 of 54 (4062 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18227

Re: [napoleon_in_rags] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

napoleon_in_rags wrote:
sungam wrote:
Hey guys/gals, some of the people listed don't have tons of info available online - would people be keen on writing up a short biography on their favorite local hero/ine/s? I've decided that the little short things I did in the examples is NOT enough, we should have a nice big info on everybody.

A good start for the US rock climbers is "American Rock" by Don Mellor. Good Book.

An even better resource is Pat Ament's book, "Wizards of Rock, A History of Free Climbing in America."

Curt


moose_droppings


May 15, 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #39 of 54 (4050 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 7, 2005
Posts: 3346

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Herb and Jan Conn


sungam


May 16, 2010, 5:22 AM
Post #40 of 54 (4038 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26569

Re: [moose_droppings] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
Herb and Jan Conn
Info about them please?


dingus


May 16, 2010, 6:33 AM
Post #41 of 54 (4032 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 16, 2002
Posts: 17387

Re: [karmiclimber] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
God, I am just glad someone out there is saving all of the top ropers who are dying left and right. He said in his resume that no one ever got injured on a trip with him that could not be fixed with a bandaid. Broken foot? Put a bandaid on that sucker and quit yer bitchin'.

Bag Balm works better.

DMT


dingus


May 16, 2010, 6:35 AM
Post #42 of 54 (4032 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 16, 2002
Posts: 17387

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
colatownkid wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
Okay, Matt Wilder I like!
Fred becky will OBVIOUSLY make the list. Indeed all of the ones on the wiki list will be on it. Let's get some names that aren't on it down!
Come on - who developed all your local crags? Who put up the testpieces you aspire to climb in your state?
Post 'em UP!

Stegg, Shannon, The Epitome of the southern hardman.

He put up almost every route at Tallulah, and half of the routes at Laurel Knob, including the only 5.12s.

In that case we probably can't overlook Arno Ilgner or Rob Robinson either.

Agreed.
Can you guys give me little snippets like I have on the list? Preferably with where they're from/operated and when.

together with Forrest Gardner they discovered and opened T-Wall. That do ya?

DMT


sungam


May 16, 2010, 8:33 AM
Post #43 of 54 (4016 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26569

Re: [dingus] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
colatownkid wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
Okay, Matt Wilder I like!
Fred becky will OBVIOUSLY make the list. Indeed all of the ones on the wiki list will be on it. Let's get some names that aren't on it down!
Come on - who developed all your local crags? Who put up the testpieces you aspire to climb in your state?
Post 'em UP!

Stegg, Shannon, The Epitome of the southern hardman.

He put up almost every route at Tallulah, and half of the routes at Laurel Knob, including the only 5.12s.

In that case we probably can't overlook Arno Ilgner or Rob Robinson either.

Agreed.
Can you guys give me little snippets like I have on the list? Preferably with where they're from/operated and when.

together with Forrest Gardner they discovered and opened T-Wall. That do ya?

DMT
Well, it's a start. T-wall is badass, but I was hoping for a little back story to each person.
E.G. "John Langsdon is a pretentions spray-bot that is known for climbing trad harder then he had* ever climbed sport. He did lots of gnarly offwidths in CO, UT, and WY, but then moved to Bermuda where he now sprays at the climbing wall for a living and does all the hardest routes in the area, except when dave macleod comes to town and puts up a V13. He met dave."
Cool


dingus


May 16, 2010, 1:14 PM
Post #44 of 54 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 16, 2002
Posts: 17387

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
dingus wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
colatownkid wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
Okay, Matt Wilder I like!
Fred becky will OBVIOUSLY make the list. Indeed all of the ones on the wiki list will be on it. Let's get some names that aren't on it down!
Come on - who developed all your local crags? Who put up the testpieces you aspire to climb in your state?
Post 'em UP!

Stegg, Shannon, The Epitome of the southern hardman.

He put up almost every route at Tallulah, and half of the routes at Laurel Knob, including the only 5.12s.

In that case we probably can't overlook Arno Ilgner or Rob Robinson either.

Agreed.
Can you guys give me little snippets like I have on the list? Preferably with where they're from/operated and when.

together with Forrest Gardner they discovered and opened T-Wall. That do ya?

DMT
Well, it's a start. T-wall is badass, but I was hoping for a little back story to each person.
E.G. "John Langsdon is a pretentions spray-bot that is known for climbing trad harder then he had* ever climbed sport. He did lots of gnarly offwidths in CO, UT, and WY, but then moved to Bermuda where he now sprays at the climbing wall for a living and does all the hardest routes in the area, except when dave macleod comes to town and puts up a V13. He met dave."
Cool

Do you pay by the word, or by post?

DMT


sungam


May 16, 2010, 2:51 PM
Post #45 of 54 (3993 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26569

Re: [dingus] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
sungam wrote:
dingus wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
colatownkid wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
Okay, Matt Wilder I like!
Fred becky will OBVIOUSLY make the list. Indeed all of the ones on the wiki list will be on it. Let's get some names that aren't on it down!
Come on - who developed all your local crags? Who put up the testpieces you aspire to climb in your state?
Post 'em UP!

Stegg, Shannon, The Epitome of the southern hardman.

He put up almost every route at Tallulah, and half of the routes at Laurel Knob, including the only 5.12s.

In that case we probably can't overlook Arno Ilgner or Rob Robinson either.

Agreed.
Can you guys give me little snippets like I have on the list? Preferably with where they're from/operated and when.

together with Forrest Gardner they discovered and opened T-Wall. That do ya?

DMT
Well, it's a start. T-wall is badass, but I was hoping for a little back story to each person.
E.G. "John Langsdon is a pretentions spray-bot that is known for climbing trad harder then he had* ever climbed sport. He did lots of gnarly offwidths in CO, UT, and WY, but then moved to Bermuda where he now sprays at the climbing wall for a living and does all the hardest routes in the area, except when dave macleod comes to town and puts up a V13. He met dave."
Cool

Do you pay by the word, or by post?

DMT
This is a free service for climbers as a whole. :) I provide this service free.


moose_droppings


May 16, 2010, 3:23 PM
Post #46 of 54 (3986 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 7, 2005
Posts: 3346

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
Herb and Jan Conn
Info about them please?

Herb and Jan were the ultimate pioneers of climbing in the Black Hills. From the late 1940's through the 1950's they established over 200 FA's on needles, spires and formations in the hills. They maintained strong free climbing ethics on all of their climbs. Sometime in the late 50's they were hired by the Parks Service to explore and map miles and miles of Jewel Cave (second longest in the world), and continued there into the 70's. Even with today's equipment, many of their routes are very bold.


Partner angry


May 16, 2010, 5:22 PM
Post #47 of 54 (3974 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 21, 2003
Posts: 8405

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Well, it's a start. T-wall is badass, but I was hoping for a little back story to each person.
E.G. "John Langsdon is a pretentions spray-bot that is known for climbing trad harder then he had* ever climbed sport. He did lots of gnarly offwidths in CO, UT, and WY, but then moved to Bermuda where he now sprays at the climbing wall for a living and does all the hardest routes in the area, except when dave macleod comes to town and puts up a V13. He met dave."
Cool

I'm confused. Are you cupping my balls again?


malcolm777b


May 16, 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #48 of 54 (3949 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 8, 2009
Posts: 204

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We're missing some important names here.

Reinhold Messner
John Salathe
Warren Harding
Gaston Rebuffat (who else is bad ass enough to have a climbing move named after them?)
Jeff Lowe
Alan Watts
Ron Kauk
Ray Jardine
Werner Braun
Jim Bridwell
Sir Edmund Hillary
Tommy Caldwell


Shane769


May 20, 2010, 9:51 AM
Post #49 of 54 (3878 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 7, 2010
Posts: 16

Re: [malcolm777b] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

malcolm777b wrote:
We're missing some important names here.

Tommy Caldwell
Yes! Tommy Caldwell
Ammon McNeely


irregularpanda


May 20, 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #50 of 54 (3877 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 13, 2007
Posts: 1364

Re: [malcolm777b] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

malcolm777b wrote:
We're missing some important names here.

Reinhold Messner
John Salathe
Warren Harding
Gaston Rebuffat (who else is bad ass enough to have a climbing move named after them?)
Jeff Lowe
Alan Watts
Ron Kauk
Ray Jardine
Werner Braun
Jim Bridwell
Sir Edmund Hillary
Tommy Caldwell

Some other obvious gaps.

Sonnie Trotter
Dave Mcloed (sp?)
Wolfgang Gullich
Steve House
The Leather pants wearing brothers who speed climb el-cap. Can't remember their names.


onceahardman


May 22, 2010, 6:26 PM
Post #51 of 54 (969 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 3, 2007
Posts: 2464

Re: [rgold] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

John Turner
Hidetaka Suzuki
John Bouchard
TM Herbert
Jim Bridwell
Layton Kor
Dougal Haston


I_do


May 23, 2010, 2:18 PM
Post #52 of 54 (946 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 2, 2008
Posts: 1232

Re: [irregularpanda] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
malcolm777b wrote:
We're missing some important names here.

Reinhold Messner
John Salathe
Warren Harding
Gaston Rebuffat (who else is bad ass enough to have a climbing move named after them?)
Jeff Lowe
Alan Watts
Ron Kauk
Ray Jardine
Werner Braun
Jim Bridwell
Sir Edmund Hillary
Tommy Caldwell

Some other obvious gaps.

Sonnie Trotter
Dave Mcloed (sp?)
Wolfgang Gullich
Steve House
The Leather pants wearing brothers who speed climb el-cap. Can't remember their names.

That would be the Hubers, sport hard enough that it took 10 years or so before ondra repeated them, first ascents on baffin 5.14 free solo's alpine shizz that'll chill your bones and their balls are easy to cup because of high viz leather pants.


rangerrob


May 27, 2010, 8:50 AM
Post #53 of 54 (910 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 7, 2003
Posts: 641

Re: [I_do] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Renato cassarato

Soloing stuff in the 70's, and 80's that would make most climbers heads spin today. The Cassarato Pillar on Fitzroy is named after him. He died attempting to solo the Magic Line on K2 in 1986 if I'm not mistaken.


irregularpanda


May 27, 2010, 9:20 AM
Post #54 of 54 (902 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 13, 2007
Posts: 1364

Re: [I_do] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I_do wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:
malcolm777b wrote:
We're missing some important names here.

Reinhold Messner
John Salathe
Warren Harding
Gaston Rebuffat (who else is bad ass enough to have a climbing move named after them?)
Jeff Lowe
Alan Watts
Ron Kauk
Ray Jardine
Werner Braun
Jim Bridwell
Sir Edmund Hillary
Tommy Caldwell

Some other obvious gaps.

Sonnie Trotter
Dave Mcloed (sp?)
Wolfgang Gullich
Steve House
The Leather pants wearing brothers who speed climb el-cap. Can't remember their names.

That would be the Hubers, sport hard enough that it took 10 years or so before ondra repeated them, first ascents on baffin 5.14 free solo's alpine shizz that'll chill your bones and their balls are easy to cup because of high viz leather pants.

Yeah, those tools. *swoon* I wonder what kind of conditioner they use.


Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook