Forums: Climbing Information: Climbing History & Trivia:
Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All


camhead


Jan 23, 2012, 4:55 PM
Post #176 of 206 (5274 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20760

Re: [areyoumydude] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

areyoumydude wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
sisu wrote:
This is one of the most ridiculous threads I've ever seen

Says the dude that's posing down with the Tap Out boyz.

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/480246-largest_Tapout.jpg[/image]


Kick ass!!!

This one should be on the front page.

gawd the new rule of no "non-climbing photoz of radness" shall be voted onto the FP blows.

Lego Larry is still on the FP

Yeah, and that was slacklining! I could see a lego climbing pic, but slacking? Banz him now!


areyoumydude


Jan 23, 2012, 5:13 PM
Post #177 of 206 (5267 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 27, 2003
Posts: 1971

Re: [camhead] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
sisu wrote:
This is one of the most ridiculous threads I've ever seen

Says the dude that's posing down with the Tap Out boyz.



Kick ass!!!

This one should be on the front page.

gawd the new rule of no "non-climbing photoz of radness" shall be voted onto the FP blows.

Lego Larry is still on the FP

Yeah, and that was slacklining! I could see a lego climbing pic, but slacking? Banz him now!

Damn lego liners.


lena_chita
Moderator

Jan 23, 2012, 5:19 PM
Post #178 of 206 (5265 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5760

Re: [curt] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
curt wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
Oh, and I've climbed with Curt!

Oh yeah, me too! ONCE! But then he got scared that I would onflash all of his testpiece local problems, and he bailed on me.

Hmmm... I remember it somewhat differently. Then again (as has already been pointed out) I am getting old. In any event, I am officially designating "April Showers" as my favorite Gunks route, in memory of my visit there with you and the clamheads.

Curt

I guess my memory is not getting better with time, either...

I thought it was Golden Showers, where we all ate dirt, while you patiently demonstrated that really, the start moves were so easy that they could be done is approach shoes?

I am sure you can pick a few faves like that in Hueco-- want to try in march?

Well personally, I'd prefer to check out some of that new JT bouldering. Hueco has lost much of its appeal for me with all the new regulatory BS there.

Curt

JT is definitely going on the list. But not for this march.


curt


Jan 23, 2012, 8:51 PM
Post #179 of 206 (5243 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18230

Re: [lena_chita] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
curt wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
curt wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
Oh, and I've climbed with Curt!

Oh yeah, me too! ONCE! But then he got scared that I would onflash all of his testpiece local problems, and he bailed on me.

Hmmm... I remember it somewhat differently. Then again (as has already been pointed out) I am getting old. In any event, I am officially designating "April Showers" as my favorite Gunks route, in memory of my visit there with you and the clamheads.

Curt

I guess my memory is not getting better with time, either...

I thought it was Golden Showers, where we all ate dirt, while you patiently demonstrated that really, the start moves were so easy that they could be done is approach shoes?

I am sure you can pick a few faves like that in Hueco-- want to try in march?

Well personally, I'd prefer to check out some of that new JT bouldering. Hueco has lost much of its appeal for me with all the new regulatory BS there.

Curt

JT is definitely going on the list. But not for this march.

Have fun and enjoy the mind numbing indoctrination video. By the way, you will never get those 30 minutes of your life back. Cool

Curt


climbingtrash


Jan 23, 2012, 11:04 PM
Post #180 of 206 (5224 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 19, 2006
Posts: 4822

Re: [areyoumydude] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

areyoumydude wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
sisu wrote:
This is one of the most ridiculous threads I've ever seen

Says the dude that's posing down with the Tap Out boyz.

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/480246-largest_Tapout.jpg[/image]


Kick ass!!!

This one should be on the front page.

gawd the new rule of no "non-climbing photoz of radness" shall be voted onto the FP blows.

Lego Larry is still on the FP

Ha, yeah, just saw that in fact.


areyoumydude


Jan 24, 2012, 2:47 PM
Post #181 of 206 (5198 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 27, 2003
Posts: 1971

Re: [areyoumydude] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

areyoumydude wrote:
sisu wrote:
This is one of the most ridiculous threads I've ever seen

Says the dude that's posing down with the Tap Out boyz.

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/480246-largest_Tapout.jpg[/image]

Damn, I guess MMA dood went home with the ball.


caughtinside


Jan 24, 2012, 3:38 PM
Post #182 of 206 (5187 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 30430

Re: [areyoumydude] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

areyoumydude wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
sisu wrote:
This is one of the most ridiculous threads I've ever seen

Says the dude that's posing down with the Tap Out boyz.


Damn, I guess MMA dood went home with the ball.

That's a shame, just when he hit the front page!


mikebarter387


Sep 30, 2013, 10:09 PM
Post #183 of 206 (3763 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 21, 2007
Posts: 224

Re: [enigma] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Guy LaCelle Junkyard and many places later
Sir Edmond Hillery Tea at the Whyte Museum Banff


mikebarter387


Sep 30, 2013, 10:11 PM
Post #184 of 206 (3763 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 21, 2007
Posts: 224

Re: [camhead] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Joe McKay Banff


climbingtrash


Oct 7, 2013, 5:06 PM
Post #185 of 206 (3683 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 19, 2006
Posts: 4822

Re: [mikebarter387] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

mikebarter387 wrote:
Joe McKay Banff

who's that?


pecall


Jan 20, 2014, 8:10 AM
Post #186 of 206 (3307 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 3, 2005
Posts: 21

Re: [enigma] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Climbed with Craig Luebben in Eldorado and Boulder Canyons in 1979.
Climbed with Carlos Buhler in Sweden in 1989.
Climbed with Ed Webster in Sweden in 1991.


JohnCook


Jan 20, 2014, 9:12 AM
Post #187 of 206 (3296 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 26, 2006
Posts: 221

Re: [enigma] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Several famous people have climbed with me, but so far they have been too awestruck and modest to come on here and tell everyone!


s6141a


May 24, 2014, 5:20 AM
Post #188 of 206 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 10, 2008
Posts: 23

Post deleted by s6141a [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

 


sungam


May 24, 2014, 6:36 AM
Post #189 of 206 (2151 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26611

Re: [s6141a] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

What, just "UK"? Everyone else gets the exact area you climbed with them in but the UK is just "The UK"? Fuck you, man, we have feelings and distinct indentifiable climbing destinations too, you know. Unimpressed


granite_grrl


May 24, 2014, 6:08 PM
Post #190 of 206 (2117 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 14837

Re: [sungam] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
What, just "UK"? Everyone else gets the exact area you climbed with them in but the UK is just "The UK"? Fuck you, man, we have feelings and distinct indentifiable climbing destinations too, you know. Unimpressed

Unimpressed <- this is my unimpressed face.


sungam


May 25, 2014, 2:25 AM
Post #191 of 206 (2106 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26611

Re: [granite_grrl] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
sungam wrote:
What, just "UK"? Everyone else gets the exact area you climbed with them in but the UK is just "The UK"? Fuck you, man, we have feelings and distinct indentifiable climbing destinations too, you know. Unimpressed

Unimpressed <- this is my unimpressed face.
So you're as unimpressed at his "UK" usage, at my response, or this thread in general?


Gmburns2000


May 25, 2014, 9:28 AM
Post #192 of 206 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15174

Re: [sungam] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
What, just "UK"? Everyone else gets the exact area you climbed with them in but the UK is just "The UK"? Fuck you, man, we have feelings and distinct indentifiable climbing destinations too, you know. Unimpressed

I see you quoted his post well.


sungam


May 25, 2014, 12:04 PM
Post #193 of 206 (2086 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26611

Re: [Gmburns2000] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
sungam wrote:
What, just "UK"? Everyone else gets the exact area you climbed with them in but the UK is just "The UK"? Fuck you, man, we have feelings and distinct indentifiable climbing destinations too, you know. Unimpressed

I see you quoted his post well.
Awwww man, I was just kidding around. I hope I didn't legit insult him. Unsure

He just mentioned some cool people he enjoyed climbing with and the place they climbed (yosemite, etc.) but then just said "UK" for one of them.

If you're still there Mr dudebroman, you should come back. I didn't mean to scare you off Frown


s6141a


May 25, 2014, 2:38 PM
Post #194 of 206 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 10, 2008
Posts: 23

Re: [sungam] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I very rarely post here, and decided to delete my post, since the whole thing is kind of foolish spraying. To be more explicit concerning Alex MacIntyre.
It was over 40 years ago, that I climbed with him outside of Leeds, England, along with John Porter, and a few others. I visited quite a few areas, over several trips, so my memory is vague. Porter has written a book on Alex, Voytech Kurtyka, and others, which will be published in July.


Gmburns2000


May 25, 2014, 4:26 PM
Post #195 of 206 (2073 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15174

Re: [s6141a] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

s6141a wrote:
I very rarely post here, and decided to delete my post, since the whole thing is kind of foolish spraying. To be more explicit concerning Alex MacIntyre.
It was over 40 years ago, that I climbed with him outside of Leeds, England, along with John Porter, and a few others. I visited quite a few areas, over several trips, so my memory is vague. Porter has written a book on Alex, Voytech Kurtyka, and others, which will be published in July.

Don't worry about jeff jim jonathan jack ceebo magnus. he just gets a bit worked up at times. he's probably not even voting SNP in the fall. he just wants some love that's all. in fact, sounds as if you might have some stories and he'd be down to hearing them. the dude has some stories himself, too.


sungam


May 26, 2014, 3:43 AM
Post #196 of 206 (2057 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26611

Re: [Gmburns2000] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
s6141a wrote:
I very rarely post here, and decided to delete my post, since the whole thing is kind of foolish spraying. To be more explicit concerning Alex MacIntyre.
It was over 40 years ago, that I climbed with him outside of Leeds, England, along with John Porter, and a few others. I visited quite a few areas, over several trips, so my memory is vague. Porter has written a book on Alex, Voytech Kurtyka, and others, which will be published in July.

Don't worry about jeff jim jonathan jack ceebo magnus. he just gets a bit worked up at times. he's probably not even voting SNP in the fall. he just wants some love that's all. in fact, sounds as if you might have some stories and he'd be down to hearing them. the dude has some stories himself, too.
Shit dude, I LOVE stories.

What's with the other names, though, did I miss a joke? If it's at my expense - fuck yoself, burnsy.


What's the title or Porter's book going to be?


sungam


May 26, 2014, 3:54 AM
Post #197 of 206 (2051 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26611

Re: [Gmburns2000] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Also there are enough nationalist and racist movements gaining momentum in the UK right now, I don't need to vote for another.

Also, please don't tie SNP to the yes vote like I think you are. They are very different topics, and defining a party by a single policy that is being voted on separately is silly.


s6141a


May 26, 2014, 4:06 AM
Post #198 of 206 (2048 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 10, 2008
Posts: 23

Re: [sungam] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam,

Porter was here in New Hampshire,(US), a few days ago, for a brief visit. He told me the name of the book, but I already forgot it, sorry. I will email him soon, and will let you know later. He told me that he was vice president of the Alpine Club, and suggested I join, since they offer free bunkhouse space in London. Do you live in England or Scotland?


sungam


May 26, 2014, 4:08 AM
Post #199 of 206 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26611

Re: [s6141a] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I live up in sunny Edinburgh, Scotland (though if elections keep going the way they are, not for much longer since I'm a dirty unwelcome forner).


s6141a


May 26, 2014, 4:39 AM
Post #200 of 206 (2037 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 10, 2008
Posts: 23

Re: [sungam] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam,

In 1970, I had a brief encounter with Don Whillans, up in Llanberis Pass. I remember it vividly, since I felt like such an ass.

I was young and impressionable, and was sitting in the local pub or tea shop. I was with a guy from Manchester, Wilber King, who I still climb with. He lives in the Blue Mtns., outside Sydney.

In any case, I whispered to Wilber, " do any of the famous climbers come in here". Wilber replied, " well Don Whillans is sitting right in front of you". The whole time Whillans was looking at me, only 6 feet away, with a scowl on his face. I felt so dumb!
Jim Donini, an old friend of mine, told me a month ago, that when he was giving a lecture to the Alpine Club, many years ago, Don Whillans bought him a beer. Jim is quite proud of that since apparently Whillans rarely, if ever, bought anyone a beer. I guess this falls under climbing trivia tales.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$215.06 (10% off)
$7.65 (10% off)
$120.02 (10% off)
$17.95 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook