Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

 


enigma


Jan 13, 2011, 3:49 AM
Post #1 of 63 (8615 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going with Beth Rodden, she grew up in the flatlands of U.C Davis, had no climbing nearby, and went to the gym and climbed 5.12 in two months. Was personally selected by Lynn Hill , then sponsored / ( Down to earth and has gone through some personal and physical ups and downs,but has become stronger and determined.( I like her style, she even admits to be afraid of falling.


Kartessa


Jan 13, 2011, 9:13 AM
Post #2 of 63 (8579 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7358

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Me

Because I fucking love to climb and I do it no matter how hard or easy it is.


erisspirit


Jan 13, 2011, 9:25 AM
Post #3 of 63 (8577 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2004
Posts: 3766

Re: [Kartessa] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have great respect for many climbers (female and male) there are several climbers I feel could give me wonderful advice and inspiration to work harder, but I can't exactly say I look up to any. They are just people like me, but happen to be lucky/skilled enough to climb as a living.

I met Beth Rodden once. She came across as incredibly kind and personable. She also gave me a bit of advice on getting back into the groove post surgery.


wonderwoman


Jan 13, 2011, 9:40 AM
Post #4 of 63 (8574 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2002
Posts: 4269

Re: [Kartessa] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Me

Because I fucking love to climb and I do it no matter how hard or easy it is.

In that case, I look up to Kartessa, too!


erisspirit


Jan 13, 2011, 9:44 AM
Post #5 of 63 (8570 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2004
Posts: 3766

Re: [wonderwoman] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Me

Because I fucking love to climb and I do it no matter how hard or easy it is.

In that case, I look up to Kartessa, too!

actually... good call... I retract my previous answer :P


airscape


Jan 13, 2011, 9:55 AM
Post #6 of 63 (8564 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 26, 2001
Posts: 4240

Re: [wonderwoman] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Me

Because I fucking love to climb and I do it no matter how hard or easy it is.

In that case, I look up to Kartessa, too!

So do I, especially on no pants tuesday!


chadnsc


Jan 13, 2011, 11:10 AM
Post #7 of 63 (8546 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 24, 2003
Posts: 4449

Re: [airscape] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Me

Because I fucking love to climb and I do it no matter how hard or easy it is.

In that case, I look up to Kartessa, too!

So do I, especially on no pants tuesday!

and Thursday!


kiwiprincess


Jan 13, 2011, 12:30 PM
Post #8 of 63 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2007
Posts: 307

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Lynn Hill- She is smaller than me, so I think Lynn would find a way so will I when I can't do the sequence my taller friends do

Mayan Smith Gobat- http://mayanclimbs.com/
She is Determined, focussed,hard working and a Nice understated awesome Lady.


Partner happiegrrrl


Jan 14, 2011, 2:03 PM
Post #9 of 63 (8486 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 25, 2004
Posts: 4624

Re: [kiwiprincess] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Yesterday I was headed out to see what I could do on the Gunsmoke Traverse and on the way in was following a woman with a crashpad. We began talking as we headed over and when we arrived, there was another woman on the traverse, trying for the tough reachy section wheres some people use a toe-hook. Nobody else was there.

It was pretty cool to happen-chance upon "Girls at Gunsmoke." And we had fun. I looked up to both those women, who were quite supportive of me even as I struggled on the moves they didn't think twice about.

But I guess they probably aren't famous....

In that case I guess I would say Lynn Hill, since she spent some time at the Gunks(my home crag), but the truth is that I don't really differentiate in day to day life.

Reading Arlene Blum's biography ("Breaking Trail") was pretty interesting. She was hardcore, and worked hard for what she gained. Her accomplishments were routinely dismissed and she was downright poorly treated by the climbing community, yet she persevered.


olderic


Jan 14, 2011, 2:09 PM
Post #10 of 63 (8482 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 17, 2003
Posts: 1536

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Miriam O'Brian
Jan Conn


lvpyne


Jan 14, 2011, 6:17 PM
Post #11 of 63 (8463 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 7, 2005
Posts: 207

Re: [happiegrrrl] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Gwen Moffat's Space Below My Feet is one of my favorite autobiographies of any climber -- male or female. Her descriptions of becoming Britain's first climbing guide, her stories of climbing barefoot in Scotland, and her -- somewhat postmodern -- Bohemian lifestyle are really fantastic.


chadnsc


Jan 15, 2011, 7:59 AM
Post #12 of 63 (8434 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 24, 2003
Posts: 4449

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Truthfully I don't have any famous female climbers that I look up to.

I do know several female climbers that I look up however.


enigma


Jan 16, 2011, 9:12 PM
Post #13 of 63 (8368 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [olderic] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Miriam O'Brian
Jan Conn


So what about these women made them stand out as climbers?


olderic


Jan 17, 2011, 6:38 AM
Post #14 of 63 (8345 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 17, 2003
Posts: 1536

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
olderic wrote:
Miriam O'Brian
Jan Conn


So what about these women made them stand out as climbers?
They had to go against a lot of social norms and conventions to be able to do the climbing they did. By all accounts they were outstanding climbers - as good as the elite males of their era for the most part. And they seemed to just really enjoy the act of climbing and the associated adventure. But its not for their climbing exploits that I look to them - its for the lives they lived all around. Certainly a number of today's top women are climbing at a similarly high level relate to contemporary males. Sometimes that have surely had to overcome gender related challenges - although not to the extent of thee women I named. But I don't think any of currently active well known women have led the full all around productive lives of the women I named. Maybe some will.


airscape


Jan 17, 2011, 7:53 AM
Post #15 of 63 (8338 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 26, 2001
Posts: 4240

Re: [olderic] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

 
I vote for Hillary..

Without her to keep him warm Norgay would never have summited.


enigma


Jan 17, 2011, 2:22 PM
Post #16 of 63 (8303 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [kiwiprincess] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

kiwiprincess wrote:
Lynn Hill- She is smaller than me, so I think Lynn would find a way so will I when I can't do the sequence my taller friends do

Mayan Smith Gobat- http://mayanclimbs.com/
She is Determined, focussed,hard working and a Nice understated awesome Lady.

I have to read about this Mayan Smith Gobat. What do you think sets her apart from the other climbers?


sbaclimber


Jan 18, 2011, 12:36 AM
Post #17 of 63 (8268 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3091

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
kiwiprincess wrote:
Lynn Hill- She is smaller than me, so I think Lynn would find a way so will I when I can't do the sequence my taller friends do

Mayan Smith Gobat- http://mayanclimbs.com/
She is Determined, focussed,hard working and a Nice understated awesome Lady.

I have to read about this Mayan Smith Gobat. What do you think sets her apart from the other climbers?
...you mean besides being the best female climber in NZ?


enigma


Jan 18, 2011, 2:02 AM
Post #18 of 63 (8262 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [sbaclimber] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
kiwiprincess wrote:
Lynn Hill- She is smaller than me, so I think Lynn would find a way so will I when I can't do the sequence my taller friends do

Mayan Smith Gobat- http://mayanclimbs.com/
She is Determined, focussed,hard working and a Nice understated awesome Lady.

I have to read about this Mayan Smith Gobat. What do you think sets her apart from the other climbers?
...you mean besides being the best female climber in NZ?

Can't you let kiwiprincess answer? I'm glad you like Mayan Smith Gobat.
I just wanted to hear some particulars, maybe you might share her story in more detail . Angelic
I like to hear from a New Zealander from their vantage point. I haven't been there.
I love the fact she's an artist and a photographer and is traveling in a van in Europe. Maybe Kiwi knows her or has met her. I do like the fact she combines art and climbing. Its quite special and creative.


(This post was edited by enigma on Jan 18, 2011, 2:13 AM)


sbaclimber


Jan 18, 2011, 2:17 AM
Post #19 of 63 (8254 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3091

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
kiwiprincess wrote:
Lynn Hill- She is smaller than me, so I think Lynn would find a way so will I when I can't do the sequence my taller friends do

Mayan Smith Gobat- http://mayanclimbs.com/
She is Determined, focussed,hard working and a Nice understated awesome Lady.

I have to read about this Mayan Smith Gobat. What do you think sets her apart from the other climbers?
...you mean besides being the best female climber in NZ?

Can't you let kiwiprincess answer?
um, you sound like a kindergarten teacher... Unsure
Must of us are adults here, and I am sure kiwiprincess will not consider my (deliberately generic and obvious) answer as having stolen her own personal opportunity to answer your question herself.

edit: 'cause I can't spell


(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Jan 18, 2011, 5:42 AM)


enigma


Jan 18, 2011, 2:19 AM
Post #20 of 63 (8251 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [lvpyne] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lvpyne wrote:
Gwen Moffat's Space Below My Feet is one of my favorite autobiographies of any climber -- male or female. Her descriptions of becoming Britain's first climbing guide, her stories of climbing barefoot in Scotland, and her -- somewhat postmodern -- Bohemian lifestyle are really fantastic.

I've met a female climber from Scotland. She was a great climber and so warm and nice. She even invited me to visit her while I was climbing in Squamish.
I haven't read the book it sounds great. Climbing barefoot in Scotland , It sounds like a beautiful place to climb.
So lvpne have you ever climbed barefoot?


lvpyne


Jan 18, 2011, 4:24 AM
Post #21 of 63 (8239 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 7, 2005
Posts: 207

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
So lvpne have you ever climbed barefoot?

I have. But I'm not a big fan of it.


wonderwoman


Jan 18, 2011, 7:15 AM
Post #22 of 63 (8226 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2002
Posts: 4269

Re: [lvpyne] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay - here is my serious answer. My friend Lei Wang, who should be famous:

Lei Wang is the first Chinese woman, as well as the first Asian-American, to climb the highest mountain on every continent and to ski to both the North and South Poles.

Lei gives motivational speeches in both English and Chinese around the world.

http://www.leisventures.com/

Climbing history figure:
Wanda Rutkiewicz - the first woman to climb K2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanda_Rutkiewicz

You can read about her and other Women of K2 in the excellent book, Savage Summit (which actually inspired my friend Lei to fulfill her dreams):
http://www.amazon.com/...untain/dp/0060587156


Partner macherry


Jan 18, 2011, 7:32 AM
Post #23 of 63 (8223 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 10, 2003
Posts: 15809

Re: [wonderwoman] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

phyllis munday

badass mountaineer from canada early 20th century. pioneered many routes with her husband. had to climb in a dress, until she was out of sight and could ditch the protocol of the day. also raised two kids in the wild and still put up new routes. worked with girl guides, getting out girls and young women into the mountains.


enigma


Jan 18, 2011, 3:32 PM
Post #24 of 63 (8189 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [wonderwoman] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
Okay - here is my serious answer. My friend Lei Wang, who should be famous:

Lei Wang is the first Chinese woman, as well as the first Asian-American, to climb the highest mountain on every continent and to ski to both the North and South Poles.

Lei gives motivational speeches in both English and Chinese around the world.

http://www.leisventures.com/

Climbing history figure:
Wanda Rutkiewicz - the first woman to climb K2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanda_Rutkiewicz

You can read about her and other Women of K2 in the excellent book, Savage Summit (which actually inspired my friend Lei to fulfill her dreams):
http://www.amazon.com/...untain/dp/0060587156

I bet with China becoming a dominant super power this climber will go through the roof. It looks like China's economy, is going to outperform the U.S. in the next 10 years.
China may be the next hot spot to climb. I'll check her out. Smile


enigma


Jan 18, 2011, 3:35 PM
Post #25 of 63 (8187 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [macherry] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
phyllis munday

badass mountaineer from canada early 20th century. pioneered many routes with her husband. had to climb in a dress, until she was out of sight and could ditch the protocol of the day. also raised two kids in the wild and still put up new routes. worked with girl guides, getting out girls and young women into the mountains.

Its amazing she had to climb in a dress.
Its a great accomplishment Phyllis was able to raise her daughters and put up routes at the same time. Wow!
Sisterhood- In Climbing- Wouldn't that be sweet?


(This post was edited by enigma on Jan 18, 2011, 3:38 PM)


enigma


Jan 18, 2011, 5:46 PM
Post #26 of 63 (4422 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [sbaclimber] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
kiwiprincess wrote:
Lynn Hill- She is smaller than me, so I think Lynn would find a way so will I when I can't do the sequence my taller friends do

Mayan Smith Gobat- http://mayanclimbs.com/
She is Determined, focussed,hard working and a Nice understated awesome Lady.

I have to read about this Mayan Smith Gobat. What do you think sets her apart from the other climbers?
...you mean besides being the best female climber in NZ?

Can't you let kiwiprincess answer?
um, you sound like a kindergarten teacher... Unsure
Must of us are adults here, and I am sure kiwiprincess will not consider my (deliberately generic and obvious) answer as having stolen her own personal opportunity to answer your question herself.

edit: 'cause I can't spell

Well good response.
Any female climber that you look up to in Germany ??


Kartessa


Jan 18, 2011, 5:52 PM
Post #27 of 63 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7358

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Are you trying to say that as a Canadian I'm not allowed to look up to a climber from another country?

Kinda like racist idolotry


enigma


Jan 18, 2011, 6:14 PM
Post #28 of 63 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [Kartessa] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Are you trying to say that as a Canadian I'm not allowed to look up to a climber from another country?

Kinda like racist idolotry

Of course not silly, I just thought he might have a German favorite women climber. Tongue


enigma


Jan 18, 2011, 6:20 PM
Post #29 of 63 (4404 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [happiegrrrl] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
Yesterday I was headed out to see what I could do on the Gunsmoke Traverse and on the way in was following a woman with a crashpad. We began talking as we headed over and when we arrived, there was another woman on the traverse, trying for the tough reachy section wheres some people use a toe-hook. Nobody else was there.

It was pretty cool to happen-chance upon "Girls at Gunsmoke." And we had fun. I looked up to both those women, who were quite supportive of me even as I struggled on the moves they didn't think twice about.

But I guess they probably aren't famous....

In that case I guess I would say Lynn Hill, since she spent some time at the Gunks(my home crag), but the truth is that I don't really differentiate in day to day life.

Reading Arlene Blum's biography ("Breaking Trail") was pretty interesting. She was hardcore, and worked hard for what she gained. Her accomplishments were routinely dismissed and she was downright poorly treated by the climbing community, yet she persevered.

That Gunsmoke traverse is tough, About 2 years ago I was there with some friends climbing, and there was this guy that spent every day climbing it, back and forth up to 4 hours a day.
He was excellent at it. I think it just takes alot of time to get those moves down. Keep trying!!


clee03m


Jan 18, 2011, 8:35 PM
Post #30 of 63 (4392 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 29, 2004
Posts: 782

Re: [macherry] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
phyllis munday

badass mountaineer from canada early 20th century. pioneered many routes with her husband. had to climb in a dress, until she was out of sight and could ditch the protocol of the day. also raised two kids in the wild and still put up new routes. worked with girl guides, getting out girls and young women into the mountains.

That is pretty amazing.

For me, Lynn Hill--a bit older, wiser, awesome...she broke so many barriers. I finally stopped feeling crazy for not wanting to mountaineer after reading her book--thanks, Lynn!

Steph Davis--my generation, and I admire her for always pushing the boundaries.

And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!


kiwiprincess


Jan 19, 2011, 12:23 AM
Post #31 of 63 (4384 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2007
Posts: 307

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I admire her hard work. She used to bake in the morning at a cafe and climb all day . She lived in her car for ages... all to climb.

She is super focussed and determined and fully deserves the acheivments she is attaining

She is modest. If you ask her about how her climbing was she will tell you about overcoming a crux, and how rewarding it was to solve it ...not spray about the difficulty.

I know her a little, and If I ask her for some advice on a sequence or something she will stop and help even though I know she is pretty focussed on what she wants to do.

Not a bad role model for younger climbers


sbaclimber


Jan 19, 2011, 1:43 AM
Post #32 of 63 (4376 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3091

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
kiwiprincess wrote:
Lynn Hill- She is smaller than me, so I think Lynn would find a way so will I when I can't do the sequence my taller friends do

Mayan Smith Gobat- http://mayanclimbs.com/
She is Determined, focussed,hard working and a Nice understated awesome Lady.

I have to read about this Mayan Smith Gobat. What do you think sets her apart from the other climbers?
...you mean besides being the best female climber in NZ?

Can't you let kiwiprincess answer?
um, you sound like a kindergarten teacher... Unsure
Must of us are adults here, and I am sure kiwiprincess will not consider my (deliberately generic and obvious) answer as having stolen her own personal opportunity to answer your question herself.

edit: 'cause I can't spell

Well good response.
Any female climber that you look up to in Germany ??
None who are famous....no.


enigma


Jan 19, 2011, 1:55 AM
Post #33 of 63 (4371 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [clee03m] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
macherry wrote:
phyllis munday

badass mountaineer from canada early 20th century. pioneered many routes with her husband. had to climb in a dress, until she was out of sight and could ditch the protocol of the day. also raised two kids in the wild and still put up new routes. worked with girl guides, getting out girls and young women into the mountains.

That is pretty amazing.

For me, Lynn Hill--a bit older, wiser, awesome...she broke so many barriers. I finally stopped feeling crazy for not wanting to mountaineer after reading her book--thanks, Lynn!

Steph Davis--my generation, and I admire her for always pushing the boundaries.

And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!

That's quite a great accomplishment.5.14, V11, 4 kids Wow. How did you do it?
Congrats on your little Jacinda Hunter--
Great Name -- There's a Hunter in my family as well.


enigma


Jan 19, 2011, 2:08 AM
Post #34 of 63 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [kiwiprincess] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

kiwiprincess wrote:
I admire her hard work. She used to bake in the morning at a cafe and climb all day . She lived in her car for ages... all to climb.

She is super focussed and determined and fully deserves the acheivments she is attaining

She is modest. If you ask her about how her climbing was she will tell you about overcoming a crux, and how rewarding it was to solve it ...not spray about the difficulty.

I know her a little, and If I ask her for some advice on a sequence or something she will stop and help even though I know she is pretty focussed on what she wants to do.

Not a bad role model for younger climbers

You know its interesting but I've also met some famous climbers and alot of them are so down to earth.
Living in her car, baking, and then climbing hard. Incredible.
But I've never met any female climbers who are famous . You're right shes a great role model.
I've never been to New Zealand but have heard the people are wonderful.
What's the best area for climbing in New Zealand? Just in case I can make it there .
Good Day kiwi. Enjoy hearing about your adventures on the other side of the world. Smile


enigma


Jan 19, 2011, 2:23 AM
Post #35 of 63 (4362 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [sbaclimber] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
kiwiprincess wrote:
Lynn Hill- She is smaller than me, so I think Lynn would find a way so will I when I can't do the sequence my taller friends do

Mayan Smith Gobat- http://mayanclimbs.com/
She is Determined, focussed,hard working and a Nice understated awesome Lady.

I have to read about this Mayan Smith Gobat. What do you think sets her apart from the other climbers?
...you mean besides being the best female climber in NZ?

Can't you let kiwiprincess answer?
um, you sound like a kindergarten teacher... Unsure
Must of us are adults here, and I am sure kiwiprincess will not consider my (deliberately generic and obvious) answer as having stolen her own personal opportunity to answer your question herself.

edit: 'cause I can't spell

Well good response.
Any female climber that you look up to in Germany ??
None who are famous....no.
Well It sounds like Phyllis Munday is great enough for your famous female climber too.
Hmmn maybe theres a young German female climber in crags, quietly putting up first ascents and climbing hard quietly. Not everyone that's great wants to be noticed.
So what's your favorite area to climb in Germany?

(I have a good friend who just got a flim into the Berlin Flim Festival. So maybe she'll invite me)


sbaclimber


Jan 19, 2011, 3:48 AM
Post #36 of 63 (4353 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3091

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
So what's your favorite area to climb in Germany?
(I have a good friend who just got a flim into the Berlin Flim Festival. So maybe she'll invite me)
I wouldn't say I only have one favourite area. Depending on what type of climbing I am in the mood for, I have the choice between the Frankenjura or the Sächsische Schweiz (mostly known outside of Germana as part of the Elbsandsteingebirge). Both are world-class and great areas to climb at.
For proper multi-pitch, I have to head further south to the alps.

I obviously cannot answer for kiwiprincess, but I would like to offer my opinion in answer to your question to her as well.
(side note, in case you think I am german and only know about german climbing....I am actually from the 'Dacks in NY, where I also learned and spent 6 years climbing. Also lived and climbed extensively for 4 years in NZ, and obviously in and around germany as well)
...in NZ, same as here, I wouldn't say I have one favourite crag, but....
For bouldering, Castle Hill is absolutely awesome! If you get a chance to go to NZ, you must visit The Hill!
For sport, Paynes Ford / Golden Bay. It is not just the climbing, but also the area, weather, and general atmosphere.
For trad, depending on what type of trad you are looking for, the Darrans, Lake Taupo region and Charleston are all awesome destinations.
Charleston is smaller than the others, but the climbing is great and the fact they are sea cliffs makes for a really cool feeling.


lena_chita
Moderator

Jan 19, 2011, 6:58 AM
Post #37 of 63 (4327 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5858

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
clee03m wrote:
macherry wrote:
phyllis munday

badass mountaineer from canada early 20th century. pioneered many routes with her husband. had to climb in a dress, until she was out of sight and could ditch the protocol of the day. also raised two kids in the wild and still put up new routes. worked with girl guides, getting out girls and young women into the mountains.

That is pretty amazing.

For me, Lynn Hill--a bit older, wiser, awesome...she broke so many barriers. I finally stopped feeling crazy for not wanting to mountaineer after reading her book--thanks, Lynn!

Steph Davis--my generation, and I admire her for always pushing the boundaries.

And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!

That's quite a great accomplishment.5.14, V11, 4 kids Wow. How did you do it?
Congrats on your little Jacinda Hunter--
Great Name -- There's a Hunter in my family as well
.

Seriously?

Until this post, I was reasonably sure that English was your first language, but this was a major comprehension fail.

clee03 was answering your question and saying that she admires Jacinda Hunter. She is not herself called Jacinda Hunter, her child is not called Jacinda Hunter, and she is decribing Jacinda's accomplishments, not her own.


I have to agree with clee03, Jacinda Hunter is someone to admire. And yes, Lynn Hill would be on my list, too.


sbaclimber


Jan 19, 2011, 8:16 AM
Post #38 of 63 (4320 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3091

Re: [lena_chita] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
enigma wrote:
clee03m wrote:
macherry wrote:
phyllis munday

badass mountaineer from canada early 20th century. pioneered many routes with her husband. had to climb in a dress, until she was out of sight and could ditch the protocol of the day. also raised two kids in the wild and still put up new routes. worked with girl guides, getting out girls and young women into the mountains.

That is pretty amazing.

For me, Lynn Hill--a bit older, wiser, awesome...she broke so many barriers. I finally stopped feeling crazy for not wanting to mountaineer after reading her book--thanks, Lynn!

Steph Davis--my generation, and I admire her for always pushing the boundaries.

And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!

That's quite a great accomplishment.5.14, V11, 4 kids Wow. How did you do it?
Congrats on your little Jacinda Hunter--
Great Name -- There's a Hunter in my family as well
.

Seriously?

Until this post, I was reasonably sure that English was your first language, but this was a major comprehension fail.
hehe, check out 2 posts above yours too...
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
kiwiprincess wrote:
Lynn Hill- She is smaller than me, so I think Lynn would find a way so will I when I can't do the sequence my taller friends do

Mayan Smith Gobat- http://mayanclimbs.com/
She is Determined, focussed,hard working and a Nice understated awesome Lady.

I have to read about this Mayan Smith Gobat. What do you think sets her apart from the other climbers?
...you mean besides being the best female climber in NZ?

Can't you let kiwiprincess answer?
um, you sound like a kindergarten teacher... Unsure
Must of us are adults here, and I am sure kiwiprincess will not consider my (deliberately generic and obvious) answer as having stolen her own personal opportunity to answer your question herself.

edit: 'cause I can't spell

Well good response.
Any female climber that you look up to in Germany ??
None who are famous....no.
Well It sounds like Phyllis Munday is great enough for your famous female climber too.
I was confused, but chose to ignore it, because I am used to being confused (have read too many of Majid's posts.....Tongue).


olderic


Jan 19, 2011, 8:33 AM
Post #39 of 63 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 17, 2003
Posts: 1536

Re: [sbaclimber] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
enigma wrote:

And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!

That's quite a great accomplishment.5.14, V11, 4 kids Wow. How did you do it?
Congrats on your little Jacinda Hunter--
Great Name -- There's a Hunter in my family as well
.

Seriously?

Until this post, I was reasonably sure that English was your first language, but this was a major comprehension fail.

Actually if you look at the original punctuation enigma nailed the interpretation. Of course that would imply that she is clueless as to lots of chatter in the mainstream climbing media. Based on the majority of her responses that seems to be the case - or at least the image she is trying to project.


sbaclimber


Jan 19, 2011, 8:48 AM
Post #40 of 63 (4311 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3091

Re: [olderic] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
enigma wrote:

And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!

That's quite a great accomplishment.5.14, V11, 4 kids Wow. How did you do it?
Congrats on your little Jacinda Hunter--
Great Name -- There's a Hunter in my family as well
.

Seriously?

Until this post, I was reasonably sure that English was your first language, but this was a major comprehension fail.

Actually if you look at the original punctuation enigma nailed the interpretation. Of course that would imply that she is clueless as to lots of chatter in the mainstream climbing media. Based on the majority of her responses that seems to be the case - or at least the image she is trying to project.
Dude, you just seriously cheesetitted that! Wink

edit: and no....according to the original punctuation, lena called the fail correctly.


(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Jan 19, 2011, 8:50 AM)


erisspirit


Jan 19, 2011, 9:11 AM
Post #41 of 63 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2004
Posts: 3766

Re: [lena_chita] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
enigma wrote:
clee03m wrote:
macherry wrote:
phyllis munday

badass mountaineer from canada early 20th century. pioneered many routes with her husband. had to climb in a dress, until she was out of sight and could ditch the protocol of the day. also raised two kids in the wild and still put up new routes. worked with girl guides, getting out girls and young women into the mountains.

That is pretty amazing.

For me, Lynn Hill--a bit older, wiser, awesome...she broke so many barriers. I finally stopped feeling crazy for not wanting to mountaineer after reading her book--thanks, Lynn!

Steph Davis--my generation, and I admire her for always pushing the boundaries.

And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!

That's quite a great accomplishment.5.14, V11, 4 kids Wow. How did you do it?
Congrats on your little Jacinda Hunter--
Great Name -- There's a Hunter in my family as well
.

Seriously?

Until this post, I was reasonably sure that English was your first language, but this was a major comprehension fail.

clee03 was answering your question and saying that she admires Jacinda Hunter. She is not herself called Jacinda Hunter, her child is not called Jacinda Hunter, and she is decribing Jacinda's accomplishments, not her own.


I have to agree with clee03, Jacinda Hunter is someone to admire. And yes, Lynn Hill would be on my list, too.

yeah I couldn't decide if it was a language thing, or just too eager to post to read through it correctly...

either way... I must say I love this pic of Jacinda Hunter. The little boys are hilarious, and she looks so calm and happy through the hyper little kid chaos Tongue



from http://www.prana.com/.../tag/jacinda-hunter/


olderic


Jan 19, 2011, 9:15 AM
Post #42 of 63 (4296 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 17, 2003
Posts: 1536

Re: [sbaclimber] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK I'm guilty of trying to play this game on a tiny device. But Clee's original sentence was:

"And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!"
There is a period after Hunter. That signifies the end of the sentence.

Of course this is the Internet and things can be edited after the fact.


sbaclimber


Jan 19, 2011, 11:28 AM
Post #43 of 63 (4280 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3091

Re: [olderic] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
OK I'm guilty of trying to play this game on a tiny device. But Clee's original sentence was:

"And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!"
There is a period after Hunter. That signifies the end of the sentence.

Of course this is the Internet and things can be edited after the fact.
I read it as, "And now that I've had a baby, [the famous female climber I look up to is] Jacinda Hunter. [she has] 4 kids, [climbs] V11 and 5.14!"

clee03m, correct me if I am wrong Smile


olderic


Jan 19, 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #44 of 63 (4274 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 17, 2003
Posts: 1536

Re: [sbaclimber] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
olderic wrote:
OK I'm guilty of trying to play this game on a tiny device. But Clee's original sentence was:

"And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!"
There is a period after Hunter. That signifies the end of the sentence.

Of course this is the Internet and things can be edited after the fact.
I read it as, "And now that I've had a baby, [the famous female climber I look up to is] Jacinda Hunter. [she has] 4 kids, [climbs] V11 and 5.14!"

clee03m, correct me if I am wrong Smile

Obviously that's what she meant - we all know that - well except for one certain party. Anyone would know that who is it all aware of current popular climbing news. My point is that with the punctuation the way it was that someone who was totally clueless - or pretending to be - would read it differently.


sbaclimber


Jan 19, 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #45 of 63 (4271 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3091

Re: [olderic] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
olderic wrote:
OK I'm guilty of trying to play this game on a tiny device. But Clee's original sentence was:

"And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!"
There is a period after Hunter. That signifies the end of the sentence.

Of course this is the Internet and things can be edited after the fact.
I read it as, "And now that I've had a baby, [the famous female climber I look up to is] Jacinda Hunter. [she has] 4 kids, [climbs] V11 and 5.14!"

clee03m, correct me if I am wrong Smile

Obviously that's what she meant - we all know that - well except for one certain party. Anyone would know that who is it all aware of current popular climbing news. My point is that with the punctuation the way it was that someone who was totally clueless - or pretending to be - would read it differently.
Ahhhh, sorry, bit slow today.
Now I get what you were getting at Blush
Need more beer....


Partner camhead


Jan 19, 2011, 11:56 AM
Post #46 of 63 (4265 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20798

Re: [sbaclimber] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
kiwiprincess wrote:
Lynn Hill- She is smaller than me, so I think Lynn would find a way so will I when I can't do the sequence my taller friends do

Mayan Smith Gobat- http://mayanclimbs.com/
She is Determined, focussed,hard working and a Nice understated awesome Lady.

I have to read about this Mayan Smith Gobat. What do you think sets her apart from the other climbers?
...you mean besides being the best female climber in NZ?

Can't you let kiwiprincess answer?
um, you sound like a kindergarten teacher... Unsure
Must of us are adults here, and I am sure kiwiprincess will not consider my (deliberately generic and obvious) answer as having stolen her own personal opportunity to answer your question herself.

edit: 'cause I can't spell

Well good response.
Any female climber that you look up to in Germany ??
None who are famous....no.

Inez Palpert. Duh.


sbaclimber


Jan 19, 2011, 12:06 PM
Post #47 of 63 (4253 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3091

Re: [camhead] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
kiwiprincess wrote:
Lynn Hill- She is smaller than me, so I think Lynn would find a way so will I when I can't do the sequence my taller friends do

Mayan Smith Gobat- http://mayanclimbs.com/
She is Determined, focussed,hard working and a Nice understated awesome Lady.

I have to read about this Mayan Smith Gobat. What do you think sets her apart from the other climbers?
...you mean besides being the best female climber in NZ?

Can't you let kiwiprincess answer?
um, you sound like a kindergarten teacher... Unsure
Must of us are adults here, and I am sure kiwiprincess will not consider my (deliberately generic and obvious) answer as having stolen her own personal opportunity to answer your question herself.

edit: 'cause I can't spell

Well good response.
Any female climber that you look up to in Germany ??
None who are famous....no.

Ines Palpert. Duh.
^^ 's' Wink

Fair suggestion.


lhwang


Jan 19, 2011, 12:11 PM
Post #48 of 63 (4248 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 3, 2005
Posts: 582

Re: [sbaclimber] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
Ines Palpert. Duh.
^^ 's' Wink

Fair suggestion.

Ines Papert. WinkWink Eventually we'll get her name right... and I agree.


(This post was edited by lhwang on Jan 19, 2011, 12:12 PM)


sbaclimber


Jan 19, 2011, 12:12 PM
Post #49 of 63 (4246 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3091

Re: [lhwang] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
Ines Palpert. Duh.
^^ 's' Wink

Fair suggestion.

Ines Papert. WinkWink Eventually we'll get her name right... and I agree.
d'ohBlush


(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Jan 19, 2011, 12:14 PM)


enigma


Jan 19, 2011, 4:00 PM
Post #50 of 63 (4209 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [erisspirit] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
enigma wrote:
clee03m wrote:
macherry wrote:
phyllis munday

badass mountaineer from canada early 20th century. pioneered many routes with her husband. had to climb in a dress, until she was out of sight and could ditch the protocol of the day. also raised two kids in the wild and still put up new routes. worked with girl guides, getting out girls and young women into the mountains.

That is pretty amazing.

For me, Lynn Hill--a bit older, wiser, awesome...she broke so many barriers. I finally stopped feeling crazy for not wanting to mountaineer after reading her book--thanks, Lynn!

Steph Davis--my generation, and I admire her for always pushing the boundaries.

And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!

That's quite a great accomplishment.5.14, V11, 4 kids Wow. How did you do it?
Congrats on your little Jacinda Hunter--
Great Name -- There's a Hunter in my family as well
.

Seriously?

Until this post, I was reasonably sure that English was your first language, but this was a major comprehension fail.

clee03 was answering your question and saying that she admires Jacinda Hunter. She is not herself called Jacinda Hunter, her child is not called Jacinda Hunter, and she is decribing Jacinda's accomplishments, not her own.


I have to agree with clee03, Jacinda Hunter is someone to admire. And yes, Lynn Hill would be on my list, too.

yeah I couldn't decide if it was a language thing, or just too eager to post to read through it correctly...

either way... I must say I love this pic of Jacinda Hunter. The little boys are hilarious, and she looks so calm and happy through the hyper little kid chaos Tongue

[image]http://www.prana.com/media/ambassadorImages/Jacinda_Hunter.jpg[/image]

from http://www.prana.com/.../tag/jacinda-hunter/

Okay, I was tired and rushed.
Great photo. Thanks. Angelic


enigma


Jan 19, 2011, 4:07 PM
Post #51 of 63 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [sbaclimber] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
enigma wrote:
So what's your favorite area to climb in Germany?
(I have a good friend who just got a flim into the Berlin Flim Festival. So maybe she'll invite me)
I wouldn't say I only have one favourite area. Depending on what type of climbing I am in the mood for, I have the choice between the Frankenjura or the Sächsische Schweiz (mostly known outside of Germana as part of the Elbsandsteingebirge). Both are world-class and great areas to climb at.
For proper multi-pitch, I have to head further south to the alps.

I obviously cannot answer for kiwiprincess, but I would like to offer my opinion in answer to your question to her as well.
(side note, in case you think I am german and only know about german climbing....I am actually from the 'Dacks in NY, where I also learned and spent 6 years climbing. Also lived and climbed extensively for 4 years in NZ, and obviously in and around germany as well)
...in NZ, same as here, I wouldn't say I have one favourite crag, but....
For bouldering, Castle Hill is absolutely awesome! If you get a chance to go to NZ, you must visit The Hill!
For sport, Paynes Ford / Golden Bay. It is not just the climbing, but also the area, weather, and general atmosphere.
For trad, depending on what type of trad you are looking for, the Darrans, Lake Taupo region and Charleston are all awesome destinations.
Charleston is smaller than the others, but the climbing is great and the fact they are sea cliffs makes for a really cool feeling.

You have climbed in a lot of great areas. I enjoy climbing on sea cliffs. It super cool. Cool

Thanks for all the climbing areas. I appreciate it and hopefully some of the rockclimbers will as well.


jbro_135


Jan 19, 2011, 8:10 PM
Post #52 of 63 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2009
Posts: 662

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thomasina Pidgeon - has a kid and climbs harder than this Jacinda Hunter character, also once she climbed with me and gave me some free shoes Cool


Partner happiegrrrl


Jan 20, 2011, 1:21 PM
Post #53 of 63 (2614 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 25, 2004
Posts: 4624

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
That Gunsmoke traverse is tough, About 2 years ago I was there with some friends climbing, and there was this guy that spent every day climbing it, back and forth up to 4 hours a day.
He was excellent at it. I think it just takes alot of time to get those moves down. Keep trying!!

I haven't been at Gunsmoke this trip but the once, but was wishing to get to watch that guy. Saw him one time a few years ago, and he really is incredible. It was like watching him perform ballet. He doesn't do the moves the way most others do.

And perhaps that is because he has spent so much time on that comparatively small bit of rock that he has broken through the barriers of movement in a way similar to an artist who masters the fundamentals then goes on to create their own language in art.

I have heard he may be austistic, and that he pretty much goes to Gunsmoke, and only Gunsmoke, regularly, but haven't heard any mention of him in the last few years.

He may not be a woman, but he's certainly someone whose climbing is admirable.


Partner camhead


Jan 21, 2011, 4:23 AM
Post #54 of 63 (2594 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20798

Re: [jbro_135] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jbro_135 wrote:
Thomasina Pidgeon - has a kid and climbs harder than this Jacinda Hunter character, also once she climbed with me and gave me some free shoes Cool

Why must you compare her to Hunter? Not cool to turn this into a contest.

Oh, and I heard that Didier Berthos was the one who knocked Pidgeon up, right before he failzed on Cobra Crack and joined a monastery. DRAMZ!


carabiner96


Jan 24, 2011, 7:18 AM
Post #55 of 63 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 10, 2006
Posts: 12579

Re: [enigma] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

MISTY MURPHY!!


Partner macherry


Jan 24, 2011, 8:55 AM
Post #56 of 63 (2555 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 10, 2003
Posts: 15809

Re: [carabiner96] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
MISTY MURPHY!!


oh dear lord



awesome


enigma


Jan 24, 2011, 2:54 PM
Post #57 of 63 (2528 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2002
Posts: 2279

Re: [happiegrrrl] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
enigma wrote:
That Gunsmoke traverse is tough, About 2 years ago I was there with some friends climbing, and there was this guy that spent every day climbing it, back and forth up to 4 hours a day.
He was excellent at it. I think it just takes alot of time to get those moves down. Keep trying!!

I haven't been at Gunsmoke this trip but the once, but was wishing to get to watch that guy. Saw him one time a few years ago, and he really is incredible. It was like watching him perform ballet. He doesn't do the moves the way most others do.

And perhaps that is because he has spent so much time on that comparatively small bit of rock that he has broken through the barriers of movement in a way similar to an artist who masters the fundamentals then goes on to create their own language in art.

I have heard he may be austistic, and that he pretty much goes to Gunsmoke, and only Gunsmoke, regularly, but haven't heard any mention of him in the last few years.

He may not be a woman, but he's certainly someone whose climbing is admirable.

He was quite adept at gunsmoke.


Partner cracklover


Jan 27, 2011, 2:55 PM
Post #58 of 63 (2460 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10061

Re: [olderic] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
olderic wrote:
OK I'm guilty of trying to play this game on a tiny device. But Clee's original sentence was:

"And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!"
There is a period after Hunter. That signifies the end of the sentence.

Of course this is the Internet and things can be edited after the fact.
I read it as, "And now that I've had a baby, [the famous female climber I look up to is] Jacinda Hunter. [she has] 4 kids, [climbs] V11 and 5.14!"

clee03m, correct me if I am wrong Smile

Obviously that's what she meant - we all know that - well except for one certain party. Anyone would know that who is it all aware of current popular climbing news. My point is that with the punctuation the way it was that someone who was totally clueless - or pretending to be - would read it differently.

I've never heard of the woman (Jacinda Hunter) but the post was immediately and entirely clear. And I'd agree that she (JC) sounds admirable, indeed.

GO


Partner cracklover


Jan 27, 2011, 3:00 PM
Post #59 of 63 (2456 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10061

Re: [cracklover] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'd have to say Lynn Hill, simply because of a very nice interaction my wife and I had with her at a crag one day.

GO


clee03m


Jan 31, 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #60 of 63 (2374 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 29, 2004
Posts: 782

Post deleted by clee03m [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

 


Partner cracklover


Jan 31, 2011, 1:55 PM
Post #61 of 63 (2361 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10061

Re: [clee03m] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm not sure why you're replying to me. I have to assume it's just because mine was the last post, right? You don't seem to be responding to anything I said. Or if you are and I'm missing it, could you clarify?

GO


clee03m


Feb 1, 2011, 9:04 AM
Post #62 of 63 (2331 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 29, 2004
Posts: 782

Re: [cracklover] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
olderic wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
olderic wrote:
OK I'm guilty of trying to play this game on a tiny device. But Clee's original sentence was:

"And now that I've had a baby, Jacinda Hunter. 4 kids, V11 and 5.14!"
There is a period after Hunter. That signifies the end of the sentence.

Of course this is the Internet and things can be edited after the fact.
I read it as, "And now that I've had a baby, [the famous female climber I look up to is] Jacinda Hunter. [she has] 4 kids, [climbs] V11 and 5.14!"

clee03m, correct me if I am wrong Smile

Obviously that's what she meant - we all know that - well except for one certain party. Anyone would know that who is it all aware of current popular climbing news. My point is that with the punctuation the way it was that someone who was totally clueless - or pretending to be - would read it differently.

I've never heard of the woman (Jacinda Hunter) but the post was immediately and entirely clear. And I'd agree that she (JC) sounds admirable, indeed.

GO

Haha, I wish I climbed that hard. Wouldn't it have been pretty egotistical to name myself as the famolus female climber I look upto? If you assume I wouldn't name myself, I think it's pretty clear what I meant even with my not so perfect grammer. Yeah, I think JH is pretty awesome. Here I am barely making it to the gym, and she is climbing V11... She give me hope.

Happy, pappy?


clee03m


Feb 1, 2011, 9:05 AM
Post #63 of 63 (2328 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 29, 2004
Posts: 782

Re: [cracklover] What Famous Female Climber do You Look Up To? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
I'm not sure why you're replying to me. I have to assume it's just because mine was the last post, right? You don't seem to be responding to anything I said. Or if you are and I'm missing it, could you clarify?

GO

Sorry, happy pappy was referring to this post. Just to clarify...


Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$3.56 (10% off)
$147.55 (10% off)
$67.28 (10% off)
$17.06 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook