Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Traps and trapping- HEADS UP
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

 


roninthorne


Feb 11, 2011, 1:20 PM
Post #1 of 56 (8605 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 27, 2002
Posts: 631

Traps and trapping- HEADS UP  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just back from a hike in the Monongahela NF near Seneca Rocks, where we found about 50 lbs of meat scraps and a leg-hold trap wired to a tree and set right in the middle of a trail along the river. This set-up was about half a mile down a gated road... had I not seen the barely-visible trap under the leaves, I would now very likely be awaiting rescue in hypothermia conditions with a tib-fib fracture.

(yes, this is the point where many of you should and will smack the desk and say "Damn it... too bad he saw that trap!")

It is currently racoon trapping season in West by God, and the locals are desperate for any kind of entertainment and potential income now that the Super Bowl has passed and spring gobbler season is still months away. Trapping is legal, but ANY exposed bait is a no-no. So...

Keep your eyes open if traveling on less-used paths in coon country (along rivers and creeks)- a leg hold trap is capable of breaking the leg of the average hiker unless you are wearing very sturdy high-top boots. To report open baiting, call the Dept of Natural Resources at (304) 558-2754.

Be careful out there... climbing is risky enough!


sp115


Feb 11, 2011, 2:34 PM
Post #2 of 56 (8563 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 17, 2007
Posts: 515

Re: [roninthorne] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
Just back from a hike in the Monongahela NF near Seneca Rocks, where we found about 50 lbs of meat scraps and a leg-hold trap wired to a tree and set right in the middle of a trail along the river. This set-up was about half a mile down a gated road... had I not seen the barely-visible trap under the leaves, I would now very likely be awaiting rescue in hypothermia conditions with a tib-fib fracture.

(yes, this is the point where many of you should and will smack the desk and say "Damn it... too bad he saw that trap!")

It is currently racoon trapping season in West by God, and the locals are desperate for any kind of entertainment and potential income now that the Super Bowl has passed and spring gobbler season is still months away. Trapping is legal, but ANY exposed bait is a no-no. So...

Keep your eyes open if traveling on less-used paths in coon country (along rivers and creeks)- a leg hold trap is capable of breaking the leg of the average hiker unless you are wearing very sturdy high-top boots. To report open baiting, call the Dept of Natural Resources at (304) 558-2754.

Be careful out there... climbing is risky enough!

Nice try, but wrong on too many counts to be anything but a troll.


csproul


Feb 11, 2011, 2:55 PM
Post #3 of 56 (8552 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Posts: 1767

Re: [sp115] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
roninthorne wrote:
Just back from a hike in the Monongahela NF near Seneca Rocks, where we found about 50 lbs of meat scraps and a leg-hold trap wired to a tree and set right in the middle of a trail along the river. This set-up was about half a mile down a gated road... had I not seen the barely-visible trap under the leaves, I would now very likely be awaiting rescue in hypothermia conditions with a tib-fib fracture.

(yes, this is the point where many of you should and will smack the desk and say "Damn it... too bad he saw that trap!")

It is currently racoon trapping season in West by God, and the locals are desperate for any kind of entertainment and potential income now that the Super Bowl has passed and spring gobbler season is still months away. Trapping is legal, but ANY exposed bait is a no-no. So...

Keep your eyes open if traveling on less-used paths in coon country (along rivers and creeks)- a leg hold trap is capable of breaking the leg of the average hiker unless you are wearing very sturdy high-top boots. To report open baiting, call the Dept of Natural Resources at (304) 558-2754.

Be careful out there... climbing is risky enough!

Nice try, but wrong on too many counts to be anything but a troll.
WTF are you talking about?


sp115


Feb 11, 2011, 3:10 PM
Post #4 of 56 (8540 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 17, 2007
Posts: 515

Re: [csproul] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
sp115 wrote:
roninthorne wrote:
Just back from a hike in the Monongahela NF near Seneca Rocks, where we found about 50 lbs of meat scraps and a leg-hold trap wired to a tree and set right in the middle of a trail along the river. This set-up was about half a mile down a gated road... had I not seen the barely-visible trap under the leaves, I would now very likely be awaiting rescue in hypothermia conditions with a tib-fib fracture.

(yes, this is the point where many of you should and will smack the desk and say "Damn it... too bad he saw that trap!")

It is currently racoon trapping season in West by God, and the locals are desperate for any kind of entertainment and potential income now that the Super Bowl has passed and spring gobbler season is still months away. Trapping is legal, but ANY exposed bait is a no-no. So...

Keep your eyes open if traveling on less-used paths in coon country (along rivers and creeks)- a leg hold trap is capable of breaking the leg of the average hiker unless you are wearing very sturdy high-top boots. To report open baiting, call the Dept of Natural Resources at (304) 558-2754.

Be careful out there... climbing is risky enough!

Nice try, but wrong on too many counts to be anything but a troll.
WTF are you talking about?


"...had I not seen the barely-visible trap under the leaves, I would now very likely be awaiting rescue in hypothermia conditions with a tib-fib fracture."

" ...a leg hold trap is capable of breaking the leg of the average hiker unless you are wearing very sturdy high-top boots.


Both of these statements are completely false. I trapped as a kid in Maine (please spare me the you're-going-to-hell speech) and demonstrated on many occasions that a leg-hold trap wont even break the skin let alone break a bone by releasing a set trap on my hand.


(This post was edited by sp115 on Feb 11, 2011, 3:12 PM)


csproul


Feb 11, 2011, 4:44 PM
Post #5 of 56 (8502 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Posts: 1767

Re: [sp115] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
csproul wrote:
sp115 wrote:
roninthorne wrote:
Just back from a hike in the Monongahela NF near Seneca Rocks, where we found about 50 lbs of meat scraps and a leg-hold trap wired to a tree and set right in the middle of a trail along the river. This set-up was about half a mile down a gated road... had I not seen the barely-visible trap under the leaves, I would now very likely be awaiting rescue in hypothermia conditions with a tib-fib fracture.

(yes, this is the point where many of you should and will smack the desk and say "Damn it... too bad he saw that trap!")

It is currently racoon trapping season in West by God, and the locals are desperate for any kind of entertainment and potential income now that the Super Bowl has passed and spring gobbler season is still months away. Trapping is legal, but ANY exposed bait is a no-no. So...

Keep your eyes open if traveling on less-used paths in coon country (along rivers and creeks)- a leg hold trap is capable of breaking the leg of the average hiker unless you are wearing very sturdy high-top boots. To report open baiting, call the Dept of Natural Resources at (304) 558-2754.

Be careful out there... climbing is risky enough!

Nice try, but wrong on too many counts to be anything but a troll.
WTF are you talking about?


"...had I not seen the barely-visible trap under the leaves, I would now very likely be awaiting rescue in hypothermia conditions with a tib-fib fracture."

" ...a leg hold trap is capable of breaking the leg of the average hiker unless you are wearing very sturdy high-top boots.


Both of these statements are completely false. I trapped as a kid in Maine (please spare me the you're-going-to-hell speech) and demonstrated on many occasions that a leg-hold trap wont even break the skin let alone break a bone by releasing a set trap on my hand.
See now, that wasn't so hard, was it? Now the rest of us that don't know the first thing about trapping know what you are talking about!


sp115


Feb 11, 2011, 5:22 PM
Post #6 of 56 (8491 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 17, 2007
Posts: 515

Re: [csproul] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
See now, that wasn't so hard, was it? Now the rest of us that don't know the first thing about trapping know what you are talking about!

OK, I guess it wasn't...

Reluctantly giving the OP the benefit of the doubt for a second - one phone call to a warden about a trap being set in a national forest, illegally baited, and on trail that sees public foot travel would get that trap yanked in a minute.

Also traps are required by law to have a tag attached with the name and address of the person it belongs to. Which would of course provide another more efficient method solving the "problem".


sbaclimber


Feb 11, 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #7 of 56 (8436 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3066

Re: [sp115] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
csproul wrote:
See now, that wasn't so hard, was it? Now the rest of us that don't know the first thing about trapping know what you are talking about!

OK, I guess it wasn't...

Reluctantly giving the OP the benefit of the doubt for a second - one phone call to a warden about a trap being set in a national forest, illegally baited, and on trail that sees public foot travel would get that trap yanked in a minute.

Also traps are required by law to have a tag attached with the name and address of the person it belongs to. Which would of course provide another more efficient method solving the "problem".
I still can't get over 50lbs of meat......for a racoon!
I mean, yeah, they can eat a lot, but 50lbs.....
You are right, nothing in that story rings even remotely true, except it is in fact still 'coon season there ('til the 28th).


(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Feb 11, 2011, 10:19 PM)


rockforlife


Feb 11, 2011, 11:16 PM
Post #8 of 56 (8421 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 14, 2002
Posts: 563

Re: [roninthorne] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
Just back from a hike in the Monongahela NF near Seneca Rocks, where we found about 50 lbs of meat scraps and a leg-hold trap wired to a tree and set right in the middle of a trail along the river. This set-up was about half a mile down a gated road... had I not seen the barely-visible trap under the leaves, I would now very likely be awaiting rescue in hypothermia conditions with a tib-fib fracture.

(yes, this is the point where many of you should and will smack the desk and say "Damn it... too bad he saw that trap!")

It is currently racoon trapping season in West by God, and the locals are desperate for any kind of entertainment and potential income now that the Super Bowl has passed and spring gobbler season is still months away. Trapping is legal, but ANY exposed bait is a no-no. So...

Keep your eyes open if traveling on less-used paths in coon country (along rivers and creeks)- a leg hold trap is capable of breaking the leg of the average hiker unless you are wearing very sturdy high-top boots. To report open baiting, call the Dept of Natural Resources at (304) 558-2754.

Be careful out there... climbing is risky enough!


Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .....LOL

Do you really think that trap would break your leg?? or let a lone fit that far up your leg??

p.s. I would guess that people have been trapping there long before you started hiking there. And do you know how much meat 50 Lbs. is? A LOT.


(This post was edited by rockforlife on Feb 11, 2011, 11:16 PM)


Lbrombach


Feb 12, 2011, 5:47 AM
Post #9 of 56 (8384 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2010
Posts: 149

Re: [roninthorne] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Don't racoons have way smaller feet than humans? I know I'm a city boy and not privvy to all things woodland, but...

And yeah, 50 lbs...isn't that about an 8 year old?


kachoong


Feb 12, 2011, 6:18 AM
Post #10 of 56 (8375 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 22, 2004
Posts: 15304

Re: [sp115] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
csproul wrote:
See now, that wasn't so hard, was it? Now the rest of us that don't know the first thing about trapping know what you are talking about!

OK, I guess it wasn't...

Reluctantly giving the OP the benefit of the doubt for a second - one phone call to a warden about a trap being set in a national forest, illegally baited, and on trail that sees public foot travel would get that trap yanked in a minute.

Also traps are required by law to have a tag attached with the name and address of the person it belongs to. Which would of course provide another more efficient method solving the "problem".

Well, that just screams of revenge for those literate mammals out there. I'd hate to receive death threats in the mail from some psycho maimed racoon.


roninthorne


Feb 12, 2011, 6:54 AM
Post #11 of 56 (8355 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 27, 2002
Posts: 631

Re: [rockforlife] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

rockforlife wrote:
Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .....LOL

Do you really think that trap would break your leg?? or let a lone fit that far up your leg??

p.s. I would guess that people have been trapping there long before you started hiking there. And do you know how much meat 50 Lbs. is? A LOT.

rockforlife- you're an idiot, 'k?

When I released the trap, it put one hell of a dent in the metal trekking pole I was using. And since the trap measured about 16-18 inches when open, YES, it would have come to just above the top of a boot, so YES, it would have fit over my leg.

People were also clearcutting forest, hunting local animals into extinction (elk, eastern red wolf, etc, etc, etc), and breeding with their kin long before I started hiking here... do you support all of those practices, as well?

Wait... you're a PRODUCT of at least one of those... nevermind...


sp115- given the facts above, I'd love to be able to have you voluntarily put your hand in this and show us how it woudn't break the skin... because even if it didn't, it would CERTAINLY have broken a bone.

I don't troll, kiddies... never have, never will. I have something called a "Life"... go look it up if they have anything called "books" in the cave where you live...

And yes, children, I do know how much 50 lbs of meat is- you see, I grew up in the country, too... hunting, fishing, TRAPPING, and all those other good old American pass-times. So if you want to question my credentials, just start out by having a tall, cold glass of STFU and go sit over there at the little people's table... the adults are trying to talk right now.

The guy who set this trap was NOT justy trying for coons... he was obviously angling for the bobcats and (possibly, according to the DNR) mountain lion which inhabit this region. Poachers often use legit trapping seasons to place non-legit traps for creatures which are NOT in season.... like the deer they shot to bait the second trap that the guys from DNR found about a dozen yards away.

But PLEASE, by all means, disregard this post and the advice it contains. Please feel free to let your "best crag dogs" roam at will... I couldn't think of anything more fitting than you carrying them, your partner, or dragging your own sorry asses up out of a steep river gorge while trying to formulate excuses about how you were still right and I was still a troll...

Cheers... and go f*ck yourselves, 'k?


kachoong


Feb 12, 2011, 7:08 AM
Post #12 of 56 (8350 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 22, 2004
Posts: 15304

Re: [roninthorne] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
The guy who set this trap was NOT justy trying for coons... he was obviously angling for the bobcats and (possibly, according to the DNR) mountain lion which inhabit this region.

Are you sure? Afterall it is WV.






Partner j_ung


Feb 12, 2011, 7:56 AM
Post #13 of 56 (8318 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18687

Re: [roninthorne] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks, M! 'Preciate the warning!


sp115


Feb 12, 2011, 8:32 AM
Post #14 of 56 (8307 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 17, 2007
Posts: 515

Re: [roninthorne] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
...When I released the trap, it put one hell of a dent in the metal trekking pole I was using. And since the trap measured about 16-18 inches when open, YES, it would have come to just above the top of a boot, so YES, it would have fit over my leg.

People were also clearcutting forest, hunting local animals into extinction (elk, eastern red wolf, etc, etc, etc), and breeding with their kin long before I started hiking here... do you support all of those practices, as well?

Wait... you're a PRODUCT of at least one of those... nevermind...


sp115- given the facts above, I'd love to be able to have you voluntarily put your hand in this and show us how it woudn't break the skin... because even if it didn't, it would CERTAINLY have broken a bone.

I don't troll, kiddies... never have, never will. I have something called a "Life"... go look it up if they have anything called "books" in the cave where you live...

And yes, children, I do know how much 50 lbs of meat is- you see, I grew up in the country, too... hunting, fishing, TRAPPING, and all those other good old American pass-times. So if you want to question my credentials, just start out by having a tall, cold glass of STFU and go sit over there at the little people's table... the adults are trying to talk right now.

The guy who set this trap was NOT justy trying for coons... he was obviously angling for the bobcats and (possibly, according to the DNR) mountain lion which inhabit this region. Poachers often use legit trapping seasons to place non-legit traps for creatures which are NOT in season.... like the deer they shot to bait the second trap that the guys from DNR found about a dozen yards away.

But PLEASE, by all means, disregard this post and the advice it contains. Please feel free to let your "best crag dogs" roam at will... I couldn't think of anything more fitting than you carrying them, your partner, or dragging your own sorry asses up out of a steep river gorge while trying to formulate excuses about how you were still right and I was still a troll...

Cheers... and go f*ck yourselves, 'k?

Heh heh, listen Grizzly Adams, you brought this shit storm on yourself. And despite the graphic description of your mutilated trekking pole (I might have used a stick to release the trap...), you're not going to convince anyone who has actually set a trap that you know a damn thing, i.e. you stumbled across a steel leg hold trap that had a 16"-18" open jaw spread (I being kind by assuming you know how to measure a trap) and then post that it was set for raccoon? That would be bigger than any BEAR trap I've ever seen. And shooting a deer and leaving it as bait? Have you really ever stepped off a groomed trail?



So sorry, you've clearly let your abiding love of all-things-furry confuse you into thinking you can post shit and not get called on it. But you keep right on going, I'm enjoying this.*


















* no animals were harmed in the typing of this post, though one misguided soul's ego may have been bruised slightly.


dan2see


Feb 12, 2011, 8:56 AM
Post #15 of 56 (8299 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 28, 2006
Posts: 1497

Re: [roninthorne] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
... rockforlife- you're an idiot, 'k? ...
Personal insult. Describes the writer, not what he wrote.

roninthorne wrote:
People were also clearcutting forest, hunting local animals into extinction (elk, eastern red wolf, etc, etc, etc), and breeding with their kin long before I started hiking here... do you support all of those practices, as well?

Wait... you're a PRODUCT of at least one of those... nevermind...
...
Ad hominum
-- I learned that word just yesterday. In the Wikipedia article, the first meaning is called "Abuse".


roninthorne wrote:
Cheers... and go f*ck yourselves, 'k?
Similar to Have a nice day which projects Passive-Resistant Behaviour. Look it up.
Plus you've chosen to include a thinly-disquised obsenity, used for emphasis, but you can't think of words of your own.


Toast_in_the_Machine


Feb 12, 2011, 9:17 AM
Post #16 of 56 (8286 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 11, 2008
Posts: 5184

Re: [dan2see] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

See, people can learn something, I used to think ad hominim was latin for Rockclimbing dot com.


dan2see


Feb 12, 2011, 9:54 AM
Post #17 of 56 (8271 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 28, 2006
Posts: 1497

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks, Toast. I'm glad you didn't write about "old dog, new tricks", because fortunately I don't know any old dogs.

This Ronin guy is quite a story-teller, but maybe Michael could use a tip or two?

The area where I hike, climb, and camp, is used for hunting big game, like white-tail deer and big-horn sheep. That's not all: this is grizzly country, and we have lots of cougars, too. No trapping, though.

I don't like all of these big dangerous hazards, but they come with the territory. So I must learn to manage the hazards. I take the usual precautions: I announce my presence, I watch for signs, I wear red, and carry bear-spray and a SPOT. Then, I plan my route to stay out of their way as much as possible.

When I see signs of any of those big hazards, I tell my friends what I saw. My goal is to remind them, and I don't need to make a big story.

So I think the value of your topic and OP is the same: remind folks that hunters and trappers are using the area, and be done. Your story was entertaining (I enjoyed reading it) but you see the reaction of the other RC.COM anti-trolls?

And now I invent a new Internet word: "ogre", meaning an ugly local denizen; he talks mean, and would love to mangle your your private parts, to decorate his own post. His favorite prey is a troll, or even somebody who looks like one.


Toast_in_the_Machine


Feb 12, 2011, 11:02 AM
Post #18 of 56 (8236 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 11, 2008
Posts: 5184

Re: [dan2see] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
And now I invent a new Internet word: "ogre", meaning an ugly local denizen; he talks mean, and would love to mangle your your private parts, to decorate his own post. His favorite prey is a troll, or even somebody who looks like one.

I like, and while we are in the red neck of the woods, a man sticking his fist in a bear trap:

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related


sbaclimber


Feb 12, 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #19 of 56 (8218 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3066

Re: [roninthorne] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
The guy who set this trap was NOT justy trying for coons... he was obviously angling for the bobcats and (possibly, according to the DNR) mountain lion which inhabit this region.
You are digging yourself deeper...
Even for said game, no one in their right mind would set a trap with a "16-18" jaw diameter...
For the sake of argument....let's assume the amount of bait was what you said it was (50lbs), and it was "nailed to a tree", and the trap was as big as it was...and not well hidden.........then the only conclusion I can come to is, that you have an idiotic psychopath running around your woods setting traps for the hell of it, and in hopes of catching humans/bigfoot/godknowswhat.Crazy




edit ........of course, as kachoong said "Afterall it is WV."....Pirate

PS, I don't doubt you found a trap in the woods. It's just the rest of your story that seems a bit exaggerated.....or you really do have a psycho running around.


(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Feb 12, 2011, 12:33 PM)


dynosore


Feb 12, 2011, 12:40 PM
Post #20 of 56 (8197 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 29, 2004
Posts: 1760

Re: [roninthorne] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you think an 18" trap is for coons you know nothing about trapping. Their is no legal trapping in the continental US that you would ever set a trap nearly that large for. If it really was that big (doubtful) you betcha it would break your leg. Regardless, setting a trap in the middle of a trail is totally irresponsible. Sounds like they're after a swamp ape lol


Partner j_ung


Feb 12, 2011, 2:05 PM
Post #21 of 56 (8167 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18687

Re: [sp115] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

A guy posts to warn people of traps on trails, and all they can do is argue that the trap, which they have not seen, can't possibly be dangerous? This is not Maine. This is West Virginia. It's a third-world country. What's more, roninthorne's been around this weird block far longer than I have, and certainly far longer than the rest of you. He's no tree hugger and he's no idiot. If he says he saw a dangerous trap on a trail, then he saw a dangerous trap on a trail. End of story.


sbaclimber


Feb 12, 2011, 3:25 PM
Post #22 of 56 (8142 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3066

Re: [j_ung] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You may well be correct (WV after all....), in which case, a slightly different method of presenting the "facts" might be helpful in garnering belief in one's story...
Considering we may be making speculations regarding what is otherwise known as a bear-trap, mentioning racoons (or any of the other animals that are currently "in season" for that matter) simply makes the story sound, shall we say, less than believable.
As my sig says....it is RC.com and trolls are common Tongue

edit to add: in plain text, anyone putting out that amount of bait and that sort of trap is already breaking the law in multiple ways and obviously not interesting in any sort of legal trapping activities. Ergo, any currently legal season or mention thereof is completely irrelevant and (as this discussion has shown) counter productive.


(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Feb 12, 2011, 3:32 PM)


Partner j_ung


Feb 12, 2011, 4:06 PM
Post #23 of 56 (8123 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18687

Re: [sbaclimber] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Granted it wasn't the first post, but he did also say:

In reply to:
The guy who set this trap was NOT justy trying for coons... he was obviously angling for the bobcats and (possibly, according to the DNR) mountain lion which inhabit this region. Poachers often use legit trapping seasons to place non-legit traps for creatures which are NOT in season.... like the deer they shot to bait the second trap that the guys from DNR found about a dozen yards away.


rockforlife


Feb 12, 2011, 5:32 PM
Post #24 of 56 (8094 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 14, 2002
Posts: 563

Re: [roninthorne] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:
rockforlife wrote:
Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .....LOL

Do you really think that trap would break your leg?? or let a lone fit that far up your leg??

p.s. I would guess that people have been trapping there long before you started hiking there. And do you know how much meat 50 Lbs. is? A LOT.

rockforlife- you're an idiot, 'k?

When I released the trap, it put one hell of a dent in the metal trekking pole I was using. And since the trap measured about 16-18 inches when open, YES, it would have come to just above the top of a boot, so YES, it would have fit over my leg.

People were also clearcutting forest, hunting local animals into extinction (elk, eastern red wolf, etc, etc, etc), and breeding with their kin long before I started hiking here... do you support all of those practices, as well?

Wait... you're a PRODUCT of at least one of those... nevermind...


sp115- given the facts above, I'd love to be able to have you voluntarily put your hand in this and show us how it woudn't break the skin... because even if it didn't, it would CERTAINLY have broken a bone.

I don't troll, kiddies... never have, never will. I have something called a "Life"... go look it up if they have anything called "books" in the cave where you live...

And yes, children, I do know how much 50 lbs of meat is- you see, I grew up in the country, too... hunting, fishing, TRAPPING, and all those other good old American pass-times. So if you want to question my credentials, just start out by having a tall, cold glass of STFU and go sit over there at the little people's table... the adults are trying to talk right now.

The guy who set this trap was NOT justy trying for coons... he was obviously angling for the bobcats and (possibly, according to the DNR) mountain lion which inhabit this region. Poachers often use legit trapping seasons to place non-legit traps for creatures which are NOT in season.... like the deer they shot to bait the second trap that the guys from DNR found about a dozen yards away.

But PLEASE, by all means, disregard this post and the advice it contains. Please feel free to let your "best crag dogs" roam at will... I couldn't think of anything more fitting than you carrying them, your partner, or dragging your own sorry asses up out of a steep river gorge while trying to formulate excuses about how you were still right and I was still a troll...

Cheers... and go f*ck yourselves, 'k?

How about this, you go on line( i would guess the trap has been moved) and find me a pic of the same kind and size of trap. I would like to see what you come up with.


sp115


Feb 12, 2011, 9:43 PM
Post #25 of 56 (8053 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 17, 2007
Posts: 515

Re: [j_ung] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
A guy posts to warn people of traps on trails, and all they can do is argue that the trap, which they have not seen, can't possibly be dangerous? This is not Maine. This is West Virginia. It's a third-world country. What's more, roninthorne's been around this weird block far longer than I have, and certainly far longer than the rest of you. He's no tree hugger and he's no idiot. If he says he saw a dangerous trap on a trail, then he saw a dangerous trap on a trail. End of story.


I never called anyone an idiot, but the OP did because I called him on a story filled with hyperbole. He doesn't get a free pass because he has a problem with the fur-for-fashion crowd, hell no one around here with a conscience would argue with him on that.

Had he manned-up in his second post, and said "OK, so I exaggerated a bit, but watch out I almost got my toe caught", no one would have piled on.


sbaclimber


Feb 13, 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #26 of 56 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3066

Re: [sp115] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
j_ung wrote:
A guy posts to warn people of traps on trails, and all they can do is argue that the trap, which they have not seen, can't possibly be dangerous? This is not Maine. This is West Virginia. It's a third-world country. What's more, roninthorne's been around this weird block far longer than I have, and certainly far longer than the rest of you. He's no tree hugger and he's no idiot. If he says he saw a dangerous trap on a trail, then he saw a dangerous trap on a trail. End of story.


I never called anyone an idiot, but the OP did because I called him on a story filled with hyperbole. He doesn't get a free pass because he has a problem with the fur-for-fashion crowd, hell no one around here with a conscience would argue with him on that.

Had he manned-up in his second post, and said "OK, so I exaggerated a bit, but watch out I almost got my toe caught", no one would have piled on.
+1


sbaclimber


Feb 13, 2011, 1:10 AM
Post #27 of 56 (2062 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3066

Re: [j_ung] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Granted it wasn't the first post, but he did also say:

In reply to:
The guy who set this trap was NOT justy trying for coons... he was obviously angling for the bobcats and (possibly, according to the DNR) mountain lion which inhabit this region. Poachers often use legit trapping seasons to place non-legit traps for creatures which are NOT in season.... like the deer they shot to bait the second trap that the guys from DNR found about a dozen yards away.
Okay, fair enough.
That would still mean that the trappers themselves are complete idiots though.
(a Newhouse No. 4 1/2 is recommended for mountain lions, and still *only* has a jaw spread of 8")
Maybe the OP can point out which trap he found. I am honestly curious, 'cause something like a No. 15 would definitely smart a bit (still unlikely to break anyone's leg...).


BClear


Feb 13, 2011, 3:16 AM
Post #28 of 56 (2053 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 23, 2009
Posts: 19

Re: [sbaclimber] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Let me get this straight. You claim the trapsize open was approximately 16-18 inches and based on your trapping knowledge you think the target species could possibly have been bobcat? As a trapper I have one thing to say. Fail.


sbaclimber


Feb 13, 2011, 3:30 AM
Post #29 of 56 (2046 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3066

Re: [BClear] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

BClear wrote:
Let me get this straight. You claim the trapsize open was approximately 16-18 inches and based on your trapping knowledge you think the target species could possibly have been bobcat? As a trapper I have one thing to say. Fail.
I assume you are talking to the OP and not me... Tongue


BClear


Feb 13, 2011, 3:47 AM
Post #30 of 56 (2041 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 23, 2009
Posts: 19

Re: [sbaclimber] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yeah that was directed to the OP. It's pretty obvious from the OP that he likely stumbled across a coon setup, just from the proximity to the water. I know near a river is among the last places I'd set for bobcat in the middle of coon season lol. A poacher isn't going to be using a trap that runs a few hundred bucks unless he's after bear. And even then 99.999% of the time I guarantee you they'd set snares. Poachers are among the craftiest out there, they'd run a line and running a line with that kind of hardware is impossible these days. I'm not sure what the law is in West Virginia but I know here in Kentucky if you tamper with a legally set trap you just broke the law yourself and the DNR officer will slap you with a nice little citation in a heartbeat. I'm also pretty sure but not positive that WV lets you set on bait as long as its fifty feet away.


Partner j_ung


Feb 13, 2011, 5:43 AM
Post #31 of 56 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18687

Re: [BClear] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Considering where we are, it's entirely possible the trapper paid 0$ for trap, and that it's a very old piece of hardware jury rigged with whatever garage fodder he could find to make it work.


nkane


Feb 13, 2011, 9:05 AM
Post #32 of 56 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 12, 2006
Posts: 143

Re: [j_ung] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

[threadjack]

Trapps:


Trapping:


[/threadjack]


sbaclimber


Feb 13, 2011, 9:18 AM
Post #33 of 56 (1999 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3066

Re: [nkane] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nkane wrote:
Hey, it's Trapper John!


sp115


Feb 13, 2011, 5:59 PM
Post #34 of 56 (1972 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 17, 2007
Posts: 515

Re: [sbaclimber] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
Hey, it's Trapper John!


Attachments: 2bebfb21-ef3f-45e2-aefb-679abe9970d9.jpg (31.7 KB)


notapplicable


Feb 13, 2011, 8:10 PM
Post #35 of 56 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17766

Re: [rockforlife] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

rockforlife wrote:
How about this, you go on line( i would guess the trap has been moved) and find me a pic of the same kind and size of trap. I would like to see what you come up with.

I've spent a fair bit of time in the backwoods of WV myself and based on what I've seen, I'd guess the trap was similar to the one below. You guys can talk all the shit you want but I have little doubt that it would have done serious damage.

http://www.usedtraps.com/WebSitePictures/VictorTwoTrigger.jpg


notapplicable


Feb 13, 2011, 8:13 PM
Post #36 of 56 (1947 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17766

Re: [nkane] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nkane wrote:
[threadjack]

Trapps:


Trapping:


[/threadjack]

Not that^ is one trapp I wouldn't mind stumbling in to.


sbaclimber


Feb 14, 2011, 12:32 AM
Post #37 of 56 (1928 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3066

Re: [notapplicable] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
rockforlife wrote:
How about this, you go on line( i would guess the trap has been moved) and find me a pic of the same kind and size of trap. I would like to see what you come up with.

I've spent a fair bit of time in the backwoods of WV myself and based on what I've seen, I'd guess the trap was similar to the one below. You guys can talk all the shit you want but I have little doubt that it would have done serious damage.

http://www.usedtraps.com/WebSitePictures/VictorTwoTrigger.jpg
Ouch, yeah, that would suck the big one.
A Conibear is body-hold though, not foot-hold...


sp115


Feb 14, 2011, 3:59 AM
Post #38 of 56 (1909 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 17, 2007
Posts: 515

Re: [notapplicable] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
...I've spent a fair bit of time in the backwoods of WV myself and based on what I've seen, I'd guess the trap was similar to the one below. You guys can talk all the shit you want but I have little doubt that it would have done serious damage.

http://www.usedtraps.com/WebSitePictures/VictorTwoTrigger.jpg

That image just lowered my on-sight grade by three whole numbers.


Gmburns2000


Feb 14, 2011, 6:23 AM
Post #39 of 56 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15106

Re: [notapplicable] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
nkane wrote:
[threadjack]

Trapps:


Trapping:


[/threadjack]

Not that^ is one trapp I wouldn't mind stumbling in to.

come to the 'Gunks and I shall lead you to danger show you the way


shockabuku


Feb 14, 2011, 6:55 AM
Post #40 of 56 (1869 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4856

Re: [nkane] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Eh, that looks like easy 5.8 at best.


sandstoned


Feb 14, 2011, 7:10 AM
Post #41 of 56 (1856 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 15, 2005
Posts: 127

Re: [notapplicable] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
rockforlife wrote:
How about this, you go on line( i would guess the trap has been moved) and find me a pic of the same kind and size of trap. I would like to see what you come up with.

I've spent a fair bit of time in the backwoods of WV myself and based on what I've seen, I'd guess the trap was similar to the one below. You guys can talk all the shit you want but I have little doubt that it would have done serious damage.

http://www.usedtraps.com/WebSitePictures/VictorTwoTrigger.jpg

HA! Now THAT is a trap. You would most certianly not walk away without some kind of damage.


Gmburns2000


Feb 14, 2011, 7:48 AM
Post #42 of 56 (1838 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15106

Re: [shockabuku] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Eh, that looks like easy 5.8 at best.

It is. It only gets a + because it's kind of steep.


shockabuku


Feb 14, 2011, 7:53 AM
Post #43 of 56 (1832 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4856

Re: [Gmburns2000] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know, I was looking for a more interesting response than just the truth!


ckirkwood9


Feb 14, 2011, 8:21 AM
Post #44 of 56 (1823 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 10, 2004
Posts: 259

Re: [roninthorne] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i love this:

just start out by having a tall, cold glass of STFU

HEHEHHE.... LOVE it! :)


Partner xtrmecat


Feb 14, 2011, 10:30 AM
Post #45 of 56 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 1, 2004
Posts: 548

Re: [ckirkwood9] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

To the Op. Bullshit on many parts of your story. Lamest troll so far this year. Research could be your friend, as my grandson even says bullshit.

Burly Bob


justroberto


Feb 14, 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #46 of 56 (1771 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 21, 2006
Posts: 1876

Re: [xtrmecat] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

This site is hilarious sometimes.

While the OP does have a penchant for hyperbole (particularly when it comes to his beloved home crags) he's not they type of dude to troll. It's not an inflammatory topic, it's posted in a regional thread, and who in the world would he be trying to hook? If it were, the only people who bit are the ones who claim he's trolling and lying, and they should feel a little silly for getting worked up about it.

He saw a trap in WV and reminded people wandering around the wonderful wilds of West-by-Gawd to keep an eye out. That's all there is to it.


sbaclimber


Feb 14, 2011, 1:03 PM
Post #47 of 56 (1766 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3066

Re: [justroberto] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
He saw a trap in WV and reminded people wandering around the wonderful wilds of West-by-Gawd to keep an eye out. That's all there is to it.
Although I also do not believe the OP is trolling, I must admit, to someone who has actual trapping experience, parts of his story sound too exaggerated/off-the-wall to be completely true.


csproul


Feb 14, 2011, 1:59 PM
Post #48 of 56 (1750 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Posts: 1767

Re: [sbaclimber] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Grizzly Adams lives!! I'm amazed by the number of people responding to this thread that have (or claim to have) done some trapping! Maybe it's the circles I live in, but I can't think of one person I've ever met who has set an animal trap of any kind. I kind assumed it was a lost art. Trap on.


sbaclimber


Feb 14, 2011, 2:15 PM
Post #49 of 56 (1743 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3066

Re: [csproul] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
Maybe it's the circles I live in, but I can't think of one person I've ever met who has set an animal trap of any kind. I kind assumed it was a lost art. Trap on.
I don't think I would any more, even if I lived back where I grew up. Not so much that I have anything against it, it just isn't an activity that I get particular satisfaction from.
I grew up in the woods and my father was a trapper, so it was one of the many other outdoor activities I pursued before discovering climbing.


(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Feb 14, 2011, 2:17 PM)


Gmburns2000


Feb 14, 2011, 4:06 PM
Post #50 of 56 (1723 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15106

Re: [shockabuku] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
I know, I was looking for a more interesting response than just the truth!


oops! sorry! Blush


Partner xtrmecat


Feb 15, 2011, 7:42 AM
Post #51 of 56 (741 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 1, 2004
Posts: 548

Re: [csproul] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
Grizzly Adams lives!! I'm amazed by the number of people responding to this thread that have (or claim to have) done some trapping! Maybe it's the circles I live in, but I can't think of one person I've ever met who has set an animal trap of any kind. I kind assumed it was a lost art. Trap on.



It's the World Wide Web. Not each and every participant lives in the city. A pretty diversified mix of folks visit, so why would one assume that only people like them would be the only other posters?

There are too many little facts in the OP to even be plausible, let alone probable. However possible it may seem, some of us just cannot bite, having been raised and spent our lives around such things.

Burly Bob


dynosore


Feb 15, 2011, 8:55 AM
Post #52 of 56 (719 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 29, 2004
Posts: 1760

Re: [csproul] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
Grizzly Adams lives!! I'm amazed by the number of people responding to this thread that have (or claim to have) done some trapping! Maybe it's the circles I live in, but I can't think of one person I've ever met who has set an animal trap of any kind. I kind assumed it was a lost art. Trap on.

City folk, lol. I'm a suburban type professional now, but I grew up roaming the woods in central BFE. My story is pretty common. I bet you can't change a tire or build a moonshine still either Tongue


justroberto


Feb 15, 2011, 9:02 AM
Post #53 of 56 (713 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 21, 2006
Posts: 1876

Re: [dynosore] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
csproul wrote:
Grizzly Adams lives!! I'm amazed by the number of people responding to this thread that have (or claim to have) done some trapping! Maybe it's the circles I live in, but I can't think of one person I've ever met who has set an animal trap of any kind. I kind assumed it was a lost art. Trap on.

City folk, lol. I'm a suburban type professional now, but I grew up roaming the woods in central BFE. My story is pretty common. I bet you can't change a tire or build a moonshine still either Tongue
Can you skin a buck and set a trot line?


csproul


Feb 15, 2011, 9:06 AM
Post #54 of 56 (711 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Posts: 1767

Re: [dynosore] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
csproul wrote:
Grizzly Adams lives!! I'm amazed by the number of people responding to this thread that have (or claim to have) done some trapping! Maybe it's the circles I live in, but I can't think of one person I've ever met who has set an animal trap of any kind. I kind assumed it was a lost art. Trap on.

City folk, lol. I'm a suburban type professional now, but I grew up roaming the woods in central BFE. My story is pretty common. I bet you can't change a tire or build a moonshine still either Tongue
I didn't exactly grow up in the city, but I'm no hick/redneck/hillbilly either. I got the tire and still thing down (not for moonshine, but have built them as a chemist). I even dabbled in elk hunting for a few years when I lived in CO, but I guess I've never known anyone who did any trapping. Maybe it's an east coast thing? I don't remember much talk of trapping in CO.


sp115


Feb 15, 2011, 10:29 AM
Post #55 of 56 (691 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 17, 2007
Posts: 515

Re: [csproul] Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
dynosore wrote:
csproul wrote:
Grizzly Adams lives!! I'm amazed by the number of people responding to this thread that have (or claim to have) done some trapping! Maybe it's the circles I live in, but I can't think of one person I've ever met who has set an animal trap of any kind. I kind assumed it was a lost art. Trap on.

City folk, lol. I'm a suburban type professional now, but I grew up roaming the woods in central BFE. My story is pretty common. I bet you can't change a tire or build a moonshine still either Tongue
I didn't exactly grow up in the city, but I'm no hick/redneck/hillbilly either. I got the tire and still thing down (not for moonshine, but have built them as a chemist). I even dabbled in elk hunting for a few years when I lived in CO, but I guess I've never known anyone who did any trapping. Maybe it's an east coast thing? I don't remember much talk of trapping in CO.

This might help a little - skip ahead to 2:14...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcsXC2xFis4


(This post was edited by sp115 on Feb 15, 2011, 10:29 AM)


climbs4fun
Moderator

Feb 22, 2011, 11:07 PM
Post #56 of 56 (644 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 18, 2003
Posts: 9595

Re: Traps and trapping- HEADS UP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ok guys. Let's try to keep it civil. There's a couple of posts that have been reported as attacks. Although I don't see anything too serious, I definitely see some that are borderline. Let's try to treat people in the thread as we would were we standing in front of them having a conversation.


Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook