Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Dieting Sheets with Excel
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

 


spikeddem


Mar 23, 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #1 of 60 (9785 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Dieting Sheets with Excel
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Lots of talk of dieting and nutrition on the site lately. Here's an excel workbook I put together to help me with my diet. Once it's setup with foods you commonly consume, it's very slick. Especially if you have a smartphone to work with it all on.

Whenever you eat a new food just select it from the next blank drop down box under "Food." The caloric information for the food will be automatically filled out based upon 1 "base unit" of the food. Enter a number in the "Portion" column corresponding to how much you ate. This "portion" amount allows you to either make rough estimates or provide accurate numbers, based upon your preferences.

There are more instructions included.

The percent fat ranges and percent protein ranges I snagged from Jay's PDF on Dieting.

If you add more than fifty foods to the food list, you'll run into some problems. Similarly, if you have more than 20 different foods in a day, you'll also run into problems. They can be fixed, but I leave it to you to figure this out if it's a problem.

BMR Calculations:


Daily Intake List:


Food List:


Edit: Added fat loss calories information to the program. It's currently a 500 calorie deficit.


(This post was edited by spikeddem on Aug 15, 2011, 6:44 AM)
Attachments: dailyintake.JPG (77.2 KB)
  foodlist.JPG (64.0 KB)
  bmrguidelines.JPG (133 KB)
  jdrc_template.xlsx (28.8 KB)


saint_john


Mar 23, 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #2 of 60 (9768 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 4, 2010
Posts: 494

Re: [spikeddem] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

that seems like a lot of work. I'd rather just be fat. And by fat I mean more than 5%


spikeddem


Mar 23, 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #3 of 60 (9758 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [saint_john] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
that seems like a lot of work. I'd rather just be fat. And by fat I mean more than 5%
I find that it helps my motivation to call people that are over 8% body fat, "Fatties."


saint_john


Mar 23, 2011, 12:56 PM
Post #4 of 60 (9748 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 4, 2010
Posts: 494

Re: [saint_john] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

srsly though, it looks like it should be cool.


chadnsc


Mar 23, 2011, 1:05 PM
Post #5 of 60 (9739 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 24, 2003
Posts: 4449

Re: [saint_john] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
that seems like a lot of work. I'd rather just be fat. And by fat I mean more than 5%

Laugh


jt512


Mar 23, 2011, 1:30 PM
Post #6 of 60 (9702 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21892

Re: [spikeddem] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
Lots of talk of dieting and nutrition on the site lately. Here's an excel workbook I put together to help me with my diet. Once it's setup with foods you commonly consume, it's very slick. Especially if you have a smartphone to work with it all on.

Whenever you eat a new food just select it from the next blank drop down box under "Food." The caloric information for the food will be automatically filled out based upon 1 "base unit" of the food. Enter a number in the "Portion" column corresponding to how much you ate. This "portion" amount allows you to either make rough estimates or provide accurate numbers, based upon your preferences.

There are more instructions included.

The percent fat ranges and percent protein ranges I snagged from Jay's PDF on Dieting.

If you add more than fifty foods to the food list, you'll run into some problems. Similarly, if you have more than 20 different foods in a day, you'll also run into problems. They can be fixed, but I leave it to you to figure this out if it's a problem.

BMR Calculations:


Daily Intake List:


Food List:

Great job. I'd suggest that you take it one step further, and add a worksheet that summarizes your results by day (ie, one line per day). I have used the following:



The last column, calc_d_wt, is the theoretical daily fat loss calculated as

(1 lb of fat / 3500 kcal) × kcal_balance .

After a sufficient length of time, you can compare your cumulative theoretical weight loss to your actual weight loss to check the validity of your calculated energy requirements.

Jay

P.S. Also good to know that one can upload an excel spreadsheet to server.


flesh


Mar 23, 2011, 1:33 PM
Post #7 of 60 (9698 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Re: [spikeddem] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
saint_john wrote:
that seems like a lot of work. I'd rather just be fat. And by fat I mean more than 5%
I find that it helps my motivation to call people that are over 8% body fat, "Fatties."

LOL, I heard Tony Robbins say that if your fat you need to own up to it, don't use softeners like "im average" or "I'm skinnier than most" he says you need to look in the mirror and say I am a fat disgusting pig and my life will suffer for it.

You reminded me of that.


Partner cracklover


Mar 23, 2011, 3:54 PM
Post #8 of 60 (9636 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10000

Re: [jt512] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
Lots of talk of dieting and nutrition on the site lately. Here's an excel workbook I put together to help me with my diet. Once it's setup with foods you commonly consume, it's very slick. Especially if you have a smartphone to work with it all on.

Whenever you eat a new food just select it from the next blank drop down box under "Food." The caloric information for the food will be automatically filled out based upon 1 "base unit" of the food. Enter a number in the "Portion" column corresponding to how much you ate. This "portion" amount allows you to either make rough estimates or provide accurate numbers, based upon your preferences.

There are more instructions included.

The percent fat ranges and percent protein ranges I snagged from Jay's PDF on Dieting.

If you add more than fifty foods to the food list, you'll run into some problems. Similarly, if you have more than 20 different foods in a day, you'll also run into problems. They can be fixed, but I leave it to you to figure this out if it's a problem.

BMR Calculations:


Daily Intake List:


Food List:

Great job. I'd suggest that you take it one step further, and add a worksheet that summarizes your results by day (ie, one line per day). I have used the following:

[img]http://jt512.dyndns.org/images/food-diary.jpg[/img]

The last column, calc_d_wt, is the theoretical daily fat loss calculated as

(1 lb of fat / 3500 kcal) × kcal_balance .

After a sufficient length of time, you can compare your cumulative theoretical weight loss to your actual weight loss to check the validity of your calculated energy requirements.

Jay

P.S. Also good to know that one can upload an excel spreadsheet to server.

Jay, I love the fact that you're geekier than me. But if I ever need to go on a diet (and I'm sure that day will come) I am SO going to steal emulate every last method of yours I can. The geek approach is probably the only one that would actually work for me.

Cheers!

GO


joewtc


Mar 23, 2011, 4:39 PM
Post #9 of 60 (9623 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2009
Posts: 37

Re: [spikeddem] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks! It's useful set-up.

One questions for the excel calculator:
In cell "H21", the formula is "=H17/9", shouldn't that be /5 since protein has half the energy of fat?


spikeddem


Mar 23, 2011, 8:09 PM
Post #10 of 60 (9574 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [joewtc] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

joewtc wrote:
Thanks! It's useful set-up.

One questions for the excel calculator:
In cell "H21", the formula is "=H17/9", shouldn't that be /5 since protein has half the energy of fat?

Nice catch. I have updated the version attached the OP.

I changed both the male and female columns for protein. I changed it to /4, since that's what I've commonly seen for protein.


joewtc


Mar 23, 2011, 9:24 PM
Post #11 of 60 (9559 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2009
Posts: 37

Re: [spikeddem] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks! It's very nice. I will forward it to my friends.


jt512


Mar 23, 2011, 9:43 PM
Post #12 of 60 (9552 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21892

Re: [cracklover] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

Jay, I love the fact that you're geekier than me. But if I ever need to go on a diet (and I'm sure that day will come) I am SO going to steal emulate every last method of yours I can. The geek approach is probably the only one that would actually work for me.

Cheers!

GO

Actually, I undermined my own geekiness by posting a screen shot of the database query viewed in a GUI application. Naturally, I prefer to work at the command line:



There, that's better.

Jay

P.S. Have I mentioned that I host these images on my own web server?


noahfor


Mar 23, 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #13 of 60 (9536 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 15, 2006
Posts: 61

Re: [spikeddem] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

fitday.com brah


jt512


Mar 23, 2011, 11:30 PM
Post #14 of 60 (9525 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21892

Re: [noahfor] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

noahfor wrote:
brah

*plonk*


airscape


Mar 23, 2011, 11:35 PM
Post #15 of 60 (9522 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 26, 2001
Posts: 4240

Re: [spikeddem] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The only thing concerning me about your diet plan is that your are eating reddellapp.


Partner cracklover


Mar 24, 2011, 7:50 AM
Post #16 of 60 (9475 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10000

Re: [jt512] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
cracklover wrote:

Jay, I love the fact that you're geekier than me. But if I ever need to go on a diet (and I'm sure that day will come) I am SO going to steal emulate every last method of yours I can. The geek approach is probably the only one that would actually work for me.

Cheers!

GO

Actually, I undermined my own geekiness by posting a screen shot of the database query viewed in a GUI application. Naturally, I prefer to work at the command line:



There, that's better.

Jay

P.S. Have I mentioned that I host these images on my own web server?

I lol'ed.

Oh, and extra points for using mysql. I'd have been disappointed if it was in access. If you had an oracle instance running on your home machine, that would have been a bit much, I would have thought you were bragging. (I had to disable mine, it was soaking up too much memory.)

GO


boadman


Mar 24, 2011, 10:40 AM
Post #17 of 60 (9443 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 6, 2003
Posts: 726

Re: [spikeddem] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
saint_john wrote:
that seems like a lot of work. I'd rather just be fat. And by fat I mean more than 5%
I find that it helps my motivation to call people that are over 8% body fat, "Fatties."


I'm curious what my body fat % is, but not curious enough to go get tested. Anybody have any good tricks or rules of thumb I could use to get a guestimate? I'm 6' tall, 195 lbs, can probably pinch and inch or so. I'm guessing 16% or so, but I really have no idea.


spikeddem


Mar 24, 2011, 11:27 AM
Post #18 of 60 (9431 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [boadman] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

boadman wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
saint_john wrote:
that seems like a lot of work. I'd rather just be fat. And by fat I mean more than 5%
I find that it helps my motivation to call people that are over 8% body fat, "Fatties."


I'm curious what my body fat % is, but not curious enough to go get tested. Anybody have any good tricks or rules of thumb I could use to get a guestimate? I'm 6' tall, 195 lbs, can probably pinch and inch or so. I'm guessing 16% or so, but I really have no idea.
You can buy a caliper and get a pretty decent answer on your own. Shouldn't cost you much at all.


(This post was edited by spikeddem on Mar 24, 2011, 12:33 PM)


jt512


Mar 24, 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #19 of 60 (9427 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21892

Re: [spikeddem] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
boadman wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
saint_john wrote:
that seems like a lot of work. I'd rather just be fat. And by fat I mean more than 5%
I find that it helps my motivation to call people that are over 8% body fat, "Fatties."


I'm curious what my body fat % is, but not curious enough to go get tested. Anybody have any good tricks or rules of thumb I could use to get a guestimate? I'm 6' tall, 195 lbs, can probably pinch and inch or so. I'm guessing 16% or so, but I really have no idea.
You can buy a caliper and get a pretty decent answer on your own.

No, you can't. Getting even a remotely accurate estimate of body fat % using calipers requires training and experience. An untrained user trying to measure body fat on a person with actual body fat of 15% could easily estimate from 8% to over 20%.

Jay


flesh


Mar 24, 2011, 11:47 AM
Post #20 of 60 (9421 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 417

Re: [boadman] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

boadman wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
saint_john wrote:
that seems like a lot of work. I'd rather just be fat. And by fat I mean more than 5%
I find that it helps my motivation to call people that are over 8% body fat, "Fatties."


I'm curious what my body fat % is, but not curious enough to go get tested. Anybody have any good tricks or rules of thumb I could use to get a guestimate? I'm 6' tall, 195 lbs, can probably pinch and inch or so. I'm guessing 16% or so, but I really have no idea.

at 16% youd have aout 31 lbs of fat. Which would put you at 164 lbs wo any fat. My vote is your higher than that unless you are a seriously stacked body builder type at 6 feet tall, and big boned/high body mass index.

My brother is 7% body fat 6 1, 185 lbs. He can lift mad weight, does a dozen pull ups with two 90 pounds hanging off him, can squat three reps of 420 lbs. Can bench 250lbs in set of 6. He's lifted weights 5 days a week for the last 6 years and climbs another 2-3 days a week on top of that, He's probably medium sized frame for his height.

Maybe closer to 22%?

JT's right though... it's hard to say.


jomagam


Mar 24, 2011, 1:23 PM
Post #21 of 60 (9397 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 9, 2008
Posts: 364

Re: [jt512] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
After a sufficient length of time, you can compare your cumulative theoretical weight loss to your actual weight loss to check the validity of your calculated energy requirements.

How accurate was it for you ? I'd think that it'd have too many inaccuracies at least in my life to be usable for that. I do cardio type exercises, like hiking that can be hard to measure calorie-wise. There's water loss/gain. Eating in restaurants.


jt512


Mar 24, 2011, 1:30 PM
Post #22 of 60 (9396 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21892

Re: [jomagam] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
In reply to:
After a sufficient length of time, you can compare your cumulative theoretical weight loss to your actual weight loss to check the validity of your calculated energy requirements.

How accurate was it for you ?

Who cares? If after a sufficient length of time you find that you are losing weight faster or slower than the model would predict, then you adjust your target caloric intake accordingly. That's the point of calculating your theoretical weight loss according to the model.

In reply to:
I'd think that it'd have too many inaccuracies at least in my life to be usable for that. I do cardio type exercises, like hiking that can be hard to measure calorie-wise.

What's so hard about estimating the amount of energy expended by hiking? There are published tables for that.

In reply to:
There's water loss/gain.

Irrelevant over a reasonable length of time.

In reply to:
Eating in restaurants.

Are you sure you actually want to lose weight?

Jay


jomagam


Mar 24, 2011, 2:00 PM
Post #23 of 60 (9380 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 9, 2008
Posts: 364

Re: [jt512] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
How accurate was it for you ?

Who cares? If after a sufficient length of time you find that you are losing weight faster or slower than the model would predict, then you adjust your target caloric intake accordingly. That's the point of calculating your theoretical weight loss according to the model.

I was curious how accurate it was for you using the published resting daily calorie expenditure, and exercise calorie needs numbers . If you're unsure about one of the inputs, then you can adjust it based on empirical data, but it all falls apart if you have inaccurate data on both your calorie source and expenditure side.

In reply to:
What's so hard about estimating the amount of energy expended by hiking? There are published tables for that.

I'm sure there are lots of numbers out there, but I doubt their accuracy. It's hard to quantify the level of effort while hiking/mountaineering short of wearing a heart rate monitor or something like that. Prove me wrong though and tell me how much is it to do the Keyhole Route on Longs for example.

In reply to:
Are you sure you actually want to lose weight?

I'm sure I don't, but I like tracking things if they're accurate.


jt512


Mar 24, 2011, 2:13 PM
Post #24 of 60 (9370 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21892

Re: [jomagam] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
In reply to:
How accurate was it for you ?

Who cares? If after a sufficient length of time you find that you are losing weight faster or slower than the model would predict, then you adjust your target caloric intake accordingly. That's the point of calculating your theoretical weight loss according to the model.

I was curious how accurate it was for you using the published resting daily calorie expenditure, and exercise calorie needs numbers . If you're unsure about one of the inputs, then you can adjust it based on empirical data, but it all falls apart if you have inaccurate data on both your calorie source and expenditure side.

The formulas are a good starting point. In my experience from working on nutritional clinical trials in which we had to ensure that we were feeding the correct number of calories for each subject, the formulas were usually quite good, and at most we had to make minor adjustments to the diets after monitoring subjects for a few weeks. Occasionally, the formulas would seriously underpredict energy requirements, most often for high-end endurance athletes.

In reply to:
In reply to:
What's so hard about estimating the amount of energy expended by hiking? There are published tables for that.

I'm sure there are lots of numbers out there, but I doubt their accuracy.

*shrug* Not sure what I can do about that.

Jay


boadman


Apr 21, 2011, 4:33 PM
Post #25 of 60 (9042 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 6, 2003
Posts: 726

Re: [flesh] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
boadman wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
saint_john wrote:
that seems like a lot of work. I'd rather just be fat. And by fat I mean more than 5%
I find that it helps my motivation to call people that are over 8% body fat, "Fatties."


I'm curious what my body fat % is, but not curious enough to go get tested. Anybody have any good tricks or rules of thumb I could use to get a guestimate? I'm 6' tall, 195 lbs, can probably pinch and inch or so. I'm guessing 16% or so, but I really have no idea.

at 16% youd have aout 31 lbs of fat. Which would put you at 164 lbs wo any fat. My vote is your higher than that unless you are a seriously stacked body builder type at 6 feet tall, and big boned/high body mass index.

My brother is 7% body fat 6 1, 185 lbs. He can lift mad weight, does a dozen pull ups with two 90 pounds hanging off him, can squat three reps of 420 lbs. Can bench 250lbs in set of 6. He's lifted weights 5 days a week for the last 6 years and climbs another 2-3 days a week on top of that, He's probably medium sized frame for his height.

Maybe closer to 22%?

JT's right though... it's hard to say.

So, I was curious, and got it tested. I came out at 13%, which was lower than I expected. I'm going to lose 15 lbs, and see what affect it has on my climbing. I did a couple of benchmark tests (max weight pull ups, max weight open handed hangs, etc) which I'll also test after I lose the weight.


sungam


Aug 15, 2011, 4:27 AM
Post #26 of 60 (2076 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26585

Re: [spikeddem] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just Started using Spike's spreadsheet (I believe Kartessa is now using it as well).

I am finding it very helpful. Thanks a bunch, Spike!

Edit to add: He didn't have pancakes on his food list!!!!???


(This post was edited by sungam on Aug 15, 2011, 4:28 AM)


Toast_in_the_Machine


Aug 15, 2011, 6:46 AM
Post #27 of 60 (2060 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 11, 2008
Posts: 5184

Re: [boadman] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

boadman wrote:
flesh wrote:
boadman wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
saint_john wrote:
that seems like a lot of work. I'd rather just be fat. And by fat I mean more than 5%
I find that it helps my motivation to call people that are over 8% body fat, "Fatties."


I'm curious what my body fat % is, but not curious enough to go get tested. Anybody have any good tricks or rules of thumb I could use to get a guestimate? I'm 6' tall, 195 lbs, can probably pinch and inch or so. I'm guessing 16% or so, but I really have no idea.

at 16% youd have aout 31 lbs of fat. Which would put you at 164 lbs wo any fat. My vote is your higher than that unless you are a seriously stacked body builder type at 6 feet tall, and big boned/high body mass index.

My brother is 7% body fat 6 1, 185 lbs. He can lift mad weight, does a dozen pull ups with two 90 pounds hanging off him, can squat three reps of 420 lbs. Can bench 250lbs in set of 6. He's lifted weights 5 days a week for the last 6 years and climbs another 2-3 days a week on top of that, He's probably medium sized frame for his height.

Maybe closer to 22%?

JT's right though... it's hard to say.

So, I was curious, and got it tested. I came out at 13%, which was lower than I expected. I'm going to lose 15 lbs, and see what affect it has on my climbing. I did a couple of benchmark tests (max weight pull ups, max weight open handed hangs, etc) which I'll also test after I lose the weight.

Having been tested a few times, I've found that the eyeball method can be almost as accurate:
http://www.4hourlife.com/...w-do-you-measure-up/


spikeddem


Aug 15, 2011, 7:00 AM
Post #28 of 60 (2054 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [sungam] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Just Started using Spike's spreadsheet (I believe Kartessa is now using it as well).

I am finding it very helpful. Thanks a bunch, Spike!

Edit to add: He didn't have pancakes on his food list!!!!???

I've updated my OP to have the newest version of the excel file. Sungam and Kartessa have the up-to-date version of the file.

It now includes a cost feature, which shows the break down of how much you're spending per item of food (yesterday I had $0.10 worth of oatmeal, and spent $5.82 overall). It also includes a charting feature to track calories and weight loss. Weighing yourself everyday isn't for everyone, though.


spikeddem


Aug 15, 2011, 7:03 AM
Post #29 of 60 (2052 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
boadman wrote:
flesh wrote:
boadman wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
saint_john wrote:
that seems like a lot of work. I'd rather just be fat. And by fat I mean more than 5%
I find that it helps my motivation to call people that are over 8% body fat, "Fatties."


I'm curious what my body fat % is, but not curious enough to go get tested. Anybody have any good tricks or rules of thumb I could use to get a guestimate? I'm 6' tall, 195 lbs, can probably pinch and inch or so. I'm guessing 16% or so, but I really have no idea.

at 16% youd have aout 31 lbs of fat. Which would put you at 164 lbs wo any fat. My vote is your higher than that unless you are a seriously stacked body builder type at 6 feet tall, and big boned/high body mass index.

My brother is 7% body fat 6 1, 185 lbs. He can lift mad weight, does a dozen pull ups with two 90 pounds hanging off him, can squat three reps of 420 lbs. Can bench 250lbs in set of 6. He's lifted weights 5 days a week for the last 6 years and climbs another 2-3 days a week on top of that, He's probably medium sized frame for his height.

Maybe closer to 22%?

JT's right though... it's hard to say.

So, I was curious, and got it tested. I came out at 13%, which was lower than I expected. I'm going to lose 15 lbs, and see what affect it has on my climbing. I did a couple of benchmark tests (max weight pull ups, max weight open handed hangs, etc) which I'll also test after I lose the weight.

Having been tested a few times, I've found that the eyeball method can be almost as accurate:
http://www.4hourlife.com/...w-do-you-measure-up/

Ooh this is very cool! I've been wondering if something like that existed!


jross


Aug 15, 2011, 8:52 AM
Post #30 of 60 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 18, 2010
Posts: 16

Re: [boadman] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

boadman wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
saint_john wrote:
that seems like a lot of work. I'd rather just be fat. And by fat I mean more than 5%
I find that it helps my motivation to call people that are over 8% body fat, "Fatties."


I'm curious what my body fat % is, but not curious enough to go get tested. Anybody have any good tricks or rules of thumb I could use to get a guestimate? I'm 6' tall, 195 lbs, can probably pinch and inch or so. I'm guessing 16% or so, but I really have no idea.

Scales nowdays are gettign better. for about 30$ you can buy a scale that measures body fat %, body water %, and bone density. Obviously the results are not 100% accurate down to the .1 of a % that they give, but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are, say +- .5%.

I injured my finger in may and during my time off got really lazy and gained weight. I was not lean to begin with and a month ago I was up to ~22.5%. Now im at 19.5%. im aiming to get to 10%.....


jt512


Aug 15, 2011, 9:26 PM
Post #31 of 60 (1998 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21892

Re: [jross] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jross wrote:
Scales nowdays are gettign better. for about 30$ you can buy a scale that measures body fat %, body water %, and bone density. Obviously the results are not 100% accurate down to the .1 of a % that they give, but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are, say +- .5%.

"Say"? As in, "Say! Watch me pull a statistic right out of my ass!"?

Jay


(This post was edited by jt512 on Aug 15, 2011, 9:32 PM)


Toast_in_the_Machine


Aug 15, 2011, 9:34 PM
Post #32 of 60 (1987 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 11, 2008
Posts: 5184

Re: [jt512] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
Scales nowdays are gettign better. for about 30$ you can buy a scale that measures body fat %, body water %, and bone density. Obviously the results are not 100% accurate down to the .1 of a % that they give, but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are, say +- .5%.

"Say"? As in, "Say! Watch me pull a statistic right out of my ass!"?

Jay

Ha!


jross


Aug 16, 2011, 11:15 AM
Post #33 of 60 (1953 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 18, 2010
Posts: 16

Re: [jt512] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
Scales nowdays are gettign better. for about 30$ you can buy a scale that measures body fat %, body water %, and bone density. Obviously the results are not 100% accurate down to the .1 of a % that they give, but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are, say +- .5%.

"Say"? As in, "Say! Watch me pull a statistic right out of my ass!"?

Jay

"but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are" ie fat, kinda fat, kinda lean or lean.

Yes the .5% was total guess, thats what "say" means. And yes its out of my ass and most likely wrong and if i remembered how all the simpletons on this site can only see the trees I wouldnt have included it in the post that I wrote in about 90 seconds.

If you actually read the post without just looking for some insignificant point to jump all over then you may have figured that out on your own.


jt512


Aug 16, 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #34 of 60 (1946 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21892

Re: [jross] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jross wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
Scales nowdays are gettign better. for about 30$ you can buy a scale that measures body fat %, body water %, and bone density. Obviously the results are not 100% accurate down to the .1 of a % that they give, but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are, say +- .5%.

"Say"? As in, "Say! Watch me pull a statistic right out of my ass!"?

Jay

"but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are" ie fat, kinda fat, kinda lean or lean.

Yes the .5% was total guess, thats what "say" means.

No. "Say" means "for example" or "approximately," not "I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'll just make up something with no regard to its validity."

Jay


jross


Aug 16, 2011, 12:10 PM
Post #35 of 60 (1942 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 18, 2010
Posts: 16

Re: [jt512] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
Scales nowdays are gettign better. for about 30$ you can buy a scale that measures body fat %, body water %, and bone density. Obviously the results are not 100% accurate down to the .1 of a % that they give, but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are, say +- .5%.

"Say"? As in, "Say! Watch me pull a statistic right out of my ass!"?

Jay

"but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are" ie fat, kinda fat, kinda lean or lean.

Yes the .5% was total guess, thats what "say" means.

No. "Say" means "for example" or "approximately," not "I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'll just make up something with no regard to its validity."

Jay

It means whatever I want it to son...

and "approximately" would mean that it is a rough guess. You must feel really good about yourself when you make these posts. Get a life son.

Like i said before, this site is full of simpletons getting lost in the trees.


jt512


Aug 16, 2011, 1:05 PM
Post #36 of 60 (1933 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21892

Re: [jross] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jross wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
Scales nowdays are gettign better. for about 30$ you can buy a scale that measures body fat %, body water %, and bone density. Obviously the results are not 100% accurate down to the .1 of a % that they give, but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are, say +- .5%.

"Say"? As in, "Say! Watch me pull a statistic right out of my ass!"?

Jay

"but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are" ie fat, kinda fat, kinda lean or lean.

Yes the .5% was total guess, thats what "say" means.

No. "Say" means "for example" or "approximately," not "I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'll just make up something with no regard to its validity."

Jay

It means whatever I want it to son...

"'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean.'"


sungam


Aug 16, 2011, 1:24 PM
Post #38 of 60 (1919 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26585

Re: [jross] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jross wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
Scales nowdays are gettign better. for about 30$ you can buy a scale that measures body fat %, body water %, and bone density. Obviously the results are not 100% accurate down to the .1 of a % that they give, but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are, say +- .5%.

"Say"? As in, "Say! Watch me pull a statistic right out of my ass!"?

Jay

"but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are" ie fat, kinda fat, kinda lean or lean.

Yes the .5% was total guess, thats what "say" means.

No. "Say" means "for example" or "approximately," not "I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'll just make up something with no regard to its validity."

Jay

It means whatever I want it to son...

and "approximately" would mean that it is a rough guess. You must feel really good about yourself when you make these posts. Get a life son.

Like i said before, this site is full of simpletons getting lost in the trees.
It's okay, rumor has it you can just decide which way is north and call it an approximation.


essay


Aug 17, 2011, 4:42 PM
Post #52 of 60 (1349 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 23, 2011
Posts: 99

Re: [Nipple] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

No you are. WAAHHH


teo916


Oct 13, 2011, 4:45 PM
Post #53 of 60 (1293 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 16, 2009
Posts: 46

Re: [essay] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Spike, that spreadsheet is great thanks for posting it...

Cheers
-Teo


SylviaSmile


Nov 15, 2011, 6:33 AM
Post #54 of 60 (1194 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 3, 2011
Posts: 982

Re: [teo916] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Holy cow, watching boys discuss weight loss is the most hilarious thing ever . . . from spreadsheets to self-centeredness, lol! If you're a girl and you're too fat, you just cry and pass the ice cream! :D


wonderwoman


Nov 15, 2011, 10:26 AM
Post #55 of 60 (1177 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2002
Posts: 4269

Re: [spikeddem] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Your excel sheet reminds me of http://myfitnesspal.com.

I discovered it 2 weeks ago and have been logging away ever since. Plus, 'there's an app for that'!


sp115


Nov 15, 2011, 11:53 AM
Post #56 of 60 (1158 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 17, 2007
Posts: 515

Re: [wonderwoman] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
Your excel sheet reminds me of http://myfitnesspal.com.

I discovered it 2 weeks ago and have been logging away ever since. Plus, 'there's an app for that'!

^^and it's free...


And while I'm at it - here's an insult-list update:

“Son”
“self-involved douche”
“simpleton”
“dorks”
“douche”
“home boy”
“Home boy McGee”
“moron”
“douchetroll”
“my lover”


wonderwoman


Nov 15, 2011, 12:11 PM
Post #57 of 60 (1147 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2002
Posts: 4269

Re: [sp115] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
Your excel sheet reminds me of http://myfitnesspal.com.

I discovered it 2 weeks ago and have been logging away ever since. Plus, 'there's an app for that'!

^^and it's free...


And while I'm at it - here's an insult-list update:

“Son”
“self-involved douche”
“simpleton”
“dorks”
“douche”
“home boy”
“Home boy McGee”
“moron”
“douchetroll”
“my lover”

Thank you for updating me. I nominate you for moderator!

This thread is now a lot shorter. Personal attacks are hidden. At least I think I got them all!


sp115


Nov 15, 2011, 7:28 PM
Post #58 of 60 (1117 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 17, 2007
Posts: 515

Re: [wonderwoman] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
...Thank you for updating me. I nominate you for moderator!...

Moderator? Me? Everyone who weighs less than 215lbs or climbs harder than 5.6 is banzed immediately!


kachoong


Nov 16, 2011, 11:47 AM
Post #59 of 60 (1087 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 22, 2004
Posts: 15304

Re: [sp115] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
...Thank you for updating me. I nominate you for moderator!...

Moderator? Me? Everyone who weighs less than 215lbs or climbs harder than 5.6 is banzed immediately!

Oh right... save yourself! It's all about self-sacrifice!


sp115


Nov 16, 2011, 12:25 PM
Post #60 of 60 (1078 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 17, 2007
Posts: 515

Re: [kachoong] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
sp115 wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
...Thank you for updating me. I nominate you for moderator!...

Moderator? Me? Everyone who weighs less than 215lbs or climbs harder than 5.6 is banzed immediately!

Oh right... save yourself! It's all about self-sacrifice!

I do my best work when surrounded by doughy, beer-drinking enablers.


(This post was edited by sp115 on Nov 16, 2011, 12:26 PM)


Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook