Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Dieting Sheets with Excel
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All


sungam


Aug 15, 2011, 4:27 AM
Post #26 of 60 (1963 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26569

Re: [spikeddem] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just Started using Spike's spreadsheet (I believe Kartessa is now using it as well).

I am finding it very helpful. Thanks a bunch, Spike!

Edit to add: He didn't have pancakes on his food list!!!!???


(This post was edited by sungam on Aug 15, 2011, 4:28 AM)


Toast_in_the_Machine


Aug 15, 2011, 6:46 AM
Post #27 of 60 (1947 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 11, 2008
Posts: 5184

Re: [boadman] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

boadman wrote:
flesh wrote:
boadman wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
saint_john wrote:
that seems like a lot of work. I'd rather just be fat. And by fat I mean more than 5%
I find that it helps my motivation to call people that are over 8% body fat, "Fatties."


I'm curious what my body fat % is, but not curious enough to go get tested. Anybody have any good tricks or rules of thumb I could use to get a guestimate? I'm 6' tall, 195 lbs, can probably pinch and inch or so. I'm guessing 16% or so, but I really have no idea.

at 16% youd have aout 31 lbs of fat. Which would put you at 164 lbs wo any fat. My vote is your higher than that unless you are a seriously stacked body builder type at 6 feet tall, and big boned/high body mass index.

My brother is 7% body fat 6 1, 185 lbs. He can lift mad weight, does a dozen pull ups with two 90 pounds hanging off him, can squat three reps of 420 lbs. Can bench 250lbs in set of 6. He's lifted weights 5 days a week for the last 6 years and climbs another 2-3 days a week on top of that, He's probably medium sized frame for his height.

Maybe closer to 22%?

JT's right though... it's hard to say.

So, I was curious, and got it tested. I came out at 13%, which was lower than I expected. I'm going to lose 15 lbs, and see what affect it has on my climbing. I did a couple of benchmark tests (max weight pull ups, max weight open handed hangs, etc) which I'll also test after I lose the weight.

Having been tested a few times, I've found that the eyeball method can be almost as accurate:
http://www.4hourlife.com/...w-do-you-measure-up/


spikeddem


Aug 15, 2011, 7:00 AM
Post #28 of 60 (1941 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [sungam] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Just Started using Spike's spreadsheet (I believe Kartessa is now using it as well).

I am finding it very helpful. Thanks a bunch, Spike!

Edit to add: He didn't have pancakes on his food list!!!!???

I've updated my OP to have the newest version of the excel file. Sungam and Kartessa have the up-to-date version of the file.

It now includes a cost feature, which shows the break down of how much you're spending per item of food (yesterday I had $0.10 worth of oatmeal, and spent $5.82 overall). It also includes a charting feature to track calories and weight loss. Weighing yourself everyday isn't for everyone, though.


spikeddem


Aug 15, 2011, 7:03 AM
Post #29 of 60 (1939 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
boadman wrote:
flesh wrote:
boadman wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
saint_john wrote:
that seems like a lot of work. I'd rather just be fat. And by fat I mean more than 5%
I find that it helps my motivation to call people that are over 8% body fat, "Fatties."


I'm curious what my body fat % is, but not curious enough to go get tested. Anybody have any good tricks or rules of thumb I could use to get a guestimate? I'm 6' tall, 195 lbs, can probably pinch and inch or so. I'm guessing 16% or so, but I really have no idea.

at 16% youd have aout 31 lbs of fat. Which would put you at 164 lbs wo any fat. My vote is your higher than that unless you are a seriously stacked body builder type at 6 feet tall, and big boned/high body mass index.

My brother is 7% body fat 6 1, 185 lbs. He can lift mad weight, does a dozen pull ups with two 90 pounds hanging off him, can squat three reps of 420 lbs. Can bench 250lbs in set of 6. He's lifted weights 5 days a week for the last 6 years and climbs another 2-3 days a week on top of that, He's probably medium sized frame for his height.

Maybe closer to 22%?

JT's right though... it's hard to say.

So, I was curious, and got it tested. I came out at 13%, which was lower than I expected. I'm going to lose 15 lbs, and see what affect it has on my climbing. I did a couple of benchmark tests (max weight pull ups, max weight open handed hangs, etc) which I'll also test after I lose the weight.

Having been tested a few times, I've found that the eyeball method can be almost as accurate:
http://www.4hourlife.com/...w-do-you-measure-up/

Ooh this is very cool! I've been wondering if something like that existed!


jross


Aug 15, 2011, 8:52 AM
Post #30 of 60 (1915 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 18, 2010
Posts: 16

Re: [boadman] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

boadman wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
saint_john wrote:
that seems like a lot of work. I'd rather just be fat. And by fat I mean more than 5%
I find that it helps my motivation to call people that are over 8% body fat, "Fatties."


I'm curious what my body fat % is, but not curious enough to go get tested. Anybody have any good tricks or rules of thumb I could use to get a guestimate? I'm 6' tall, 195 lbs, can probably pinch and inch or so. I'm guessing 16% or so, but I really have no idea.

Scales nowdays are gettign better. for about 30$ you can buy a scale that measures body fat %, body water %, and bone density. Obviously the results are not 100% accurate down to the .1 of a % that they give, but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are, say +- .5%.

I injured my finger in may and during my time off got really lazy and gained weight. I was not lean to begin with and a month ago I was up to ~22.5%. Now im at 19.5%. im aiming to get to 10%.....


jt512


Aug 15, 2011, 9:26 PM
Post #31 of 60 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21890

Re: [jross] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jross wrote:
Scales nowdays are gettign better. for about 30$ you can buy a scale that measures body fat %, body water %, and bone density. Obviously the results are not 100% accurate down to the .1 of a % that they give, but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are, say +- .5%.

"Say"? As in, "Say! Watch me pull a statistic right out of my ass!"?

Jay


(This post was edited by jt512 on Aug 15, 2011, 9:32 PM)


Toast_in_the_Machine


Aug 15, 2011, 9:34 PM
Post #32 of 60 (1874 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 11, 2008
Posts: 5184

Re: [jt512] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
Scales nowdays are gettign better. for about 30$ you can buy a scale that measures body fat %, body water %, and bone density. Obviously the results are not 100% accurate down to the .1 of a % that they give, but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are, say +- .5%.

"Say"? As in, "Say! Watch me pull a statistic right out of my ass!"?

Jay

Ha!


jross


Aug 16, 2011, 11:15 AM
Post #33 of 60 (1840 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 18, 2010
Posts: 16

Re: [jt512] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
Scales nowdays are gettign better. for about 30$ you can buy a scale that measures body fat %, body water %, and bone density. Obviously the results are not 100% accurate down to the .1 of a % that they give, but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are, say +- .5%.

"Say"? As in, "Say! Watch me pull a statistic right out of my ass!"?

Jay

"but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are" ie fat, kinda fat, kinda lean or lean.

Yes the .5% was total guess, thats what "say" means. And yes its out of my ass and most likely wrong and if i remembered how all the simpletons on this site can only see the trees I wouldnt have included it in the post that I wrote in about 90 seconds.

If you actually read the post without just looking for some insignificant point to jump all over then you may have figured that out on your own.


jt512


Aug 16, 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #34 of 60 (1833 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21890

Re: [jross] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jross wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
Scales nowdays are gettign better. for about 30$ you can buy a scale that measures body fat %, body water %, and bone density. Obviously the results are not 100% accurate down to the .1 of a % that they give, but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are, say +- .5%.

"Say"? As in, "Say! Watch me pull a statistic right out of my ass!"?

Jay

"but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are" ie fat, kinda fat, kinda lean or lean.

Yes the .5% was total guess, thats what "say" means.

No. "Say" means "for example" or "approximately," not "I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'll just make up something with no regard to its validity."

Jay


jross


Aug 16, 2011, 12:10 PM
Post #35 of 60 (1829 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 18, 2010
Posts: 16

Re: [jt512] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
Scales nowdays are gettign better. for about 30$ you can buy a scale that measures body fat %, body water %, and bone density. Obviously the results are not 100% accurate down to the .1 of a % that they give, but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are, say +- .5%.

"Say"? As in, "Say! Watch me pull a statistic right out of my ass!"?

Jay

"but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are" ie fat, kinda fat, kinda lean or lean.

Yes the .5% was total guess, thats what "say" means.

No. "Say" means "for example" or "approximately," not "I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'll just make up something with no regard to its validity."

Jay

It means whatever I want it to son...

and "approximately" would mean that it is a rough guess. You must feel really good about yourself when you make these posts. Get a life son.

Like i said before, this site is full of simpletons getting lost in the trees.


jt512


Aug 16, 2011, 1:05 PM
Post #36 of 60 (1820 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21890

Re: [jross] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jross wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
Scales nowdays are gettign better. for about 30$ you can buy a scale that measures body fat %, body water %, and bone density. Obviously the results are not 100% accurate down to the .1 of a % that they give, but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are, say +- .5%.

"Say"? As in, "Say! Watch me pull a statistic right out of my ass!"?

Jay

"but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are" ie fat, kinda fat, kinda lean or lean.

Yes the .5% was total guess, thats what "say" means.

No. "Say" means "for example" or "approximately," not "I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'll just make up something with no regard to its validity."

Jay

It means whatever I want it to son...

"'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean.'"


sungam


Aug 16, 2011, 1:24 PM
Post #38 of 60 (1806 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26569

Re: [jross] Dieting Sheets with Excel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jross wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jross wrote:
Scales nowdays are gettign better. for about 30$ you can buy a scale that measures body fat %, body water %, and bone density. Obviously the results are not 100% accurate down to the .1 of a % that they give, but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are, say +- .5%.

"Say"? As in, "Say! Watch me pull a statistic right out of my ass!"?

Jay

"but they are accurate enough to give you a general idea of where you are" ie fat, kinda fat, kinda lean or lean.

Yes the .5% was total guess, thats what "say" means.

No. "Say" means "for example" or "approximately," not "I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'll just make up something with no regard to its validity."

Jay

It means whatever I want it to son...

and "approximately" would mean that it is a rough guess. You must feel really good about yourself when you make these posts. Get a life son.

Like i said before, this site is full of simpletons getting lost in the trees.
It's okay, rumor has it you can just decide which way is north and call it an approximation.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook