Forums: Community: The Soap Box:
Accept responsibility for your choices
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Soap Box

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All


johnwesely


Oct 11, 2011, 6:53 AM
Post #51 of 68 (1308 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [guangzhou] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:

The lack of teaching jobs and schools having no money, and more applicants than position came long before the economy collapses in 2008.

That may be the case, but that was not what every single adult I trusted at the time was telling me. I was naive, and they gave me no reason to do further research.

In reply to:
You comment on teaching not being prestigious, I don't agree. I find it to be among the most noble and important professions in the world. I love my time in the class room and the only reason I left education was I wanted to earn more income and still climb a to.

I really enjoy teaching and believe good teachers are vital to a successful society, but I really don't get that impression when I watch the news, listen to politicians, or hear people talk about teaching, especially recently.

In reply to:
If you're not against living overseas, I still recommend you check out tieonline. Shoot me an email and I lend you access to the site so you can see the positions listed and if you like something posted, you cans end off your resume.

I really appreciate the offer, but I could not do the overseas thing.

In reply to:
I think that choosing to become a public school teacher in America today is not a good long term career choice. To much is dependent on the politician in charge for that term, the school-board in charge for that year, and the Federal Government's Education Flavor of the year.

Trust me when I say I feel the same way, but right now, I don't know what else to do. I could do grad school, but that path is even riskier than what I am doing right now. I could go to law school, but I don't really want to be a lawyer, and the employment rate for lawyers is atrocious, not to mention the mass amount of debt I would accumulate.


scrapedape


Oct 11, 2011, 8:36 AM
Post #52 of 68 (1296 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 23, 2004
Posts: 2392

Re: [johnwesely] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

The lack of teaching jobs and schools having no money, and more applicants than position came long before the economy collapses in 2008.

That may be the case, but that was not what every single adult I trusted at the time was telling me. I was naive, and they gave me no reason to do further research.

If there's a silver lining here, it's that you learned this lesson as early as you did.


Partner rrrADAM


Oct 11, 2011, 9:11 AM
Post #53 of 68 (1293 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 19, 1999
Posts: 17543

Re: [guangzhou] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
In reply to:

The only reason we have a great interstate is that the government wanted alternate landing strips in case we were invaded. I do believe that a country's road system should be nationalized. It's part of a country's infrastructure.

This is an urban legend and pretty nonsensical if you stop to think about it.

Urban legend taught in the various Military academies as fact.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/airstrip.asp

Nice link, and while I agree that in today's world it makes no sense, we are talking about America before the car was the common mode of transportation. America before they were "private landing strips" to help.


Consider for a moment that not only are you wrong, but you have even been supplied with the evidence to show that you are wrong, and you still will not budge.

Also, I was in the military, and this was NEVER suggested, but instead, that Ike was impressed with the German highway system, and their ability to move troops and stuff on it, and we did it for the same reason.

Think about that, my friend... If you are wrong, what would convince you of this? It seems as if nothing would, and that is not reasonable.


And this...
"...not sure where I heard/read it..." or "...taught as fact."

This is how Michelle B-man argues... If you are going to throw out 'facts' then you should substanciate them with evidence of such facts.


(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Oct 11, 2011, 9:19 AM)


curt


Oct 11, 2011, 9:20 AM
Post #54 of 68 (1286 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [rrrADAM] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
In reply to:

The only reason we have a great interstate is that the government wanted alternate landing strips in case we were invaded. I do believe that a country's road system should be nationalized. It's part of a country's infrastructure.

This is an urban legend and pretty nonsensical if you stop to think about it.

Urban legend taught in the various Military academies as fact.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/airstrip.asp

Nice link, and while I agree that in today's world it makes no sense, we are talking about America before the car was the common mode of transportation. America before they were "private landing strips" to help.


Consider for a moment that not only are you wrong, but you have even been supplied with the evidence to show that you are wrong, and you still will not budge.

Also, I was in the military, and this was NEVER suggested, but instead, that Ike was impressed with the German highway system, and their ability to move troops and stuff on it, and we did it for the same reason.

Think about that, my friend... If you are wrong, what would convince you of this? It seems as if nothing would, and that is not reasonable.


And this...
"...not sure where I heard/read it..." or "...taught as fact."

This is how Michelle B-man argues... If you are going to throw out 'facts' then you should substanciate them with evidence of such facts.

guangzhou = reno?

Curt


guangzhou


Oct 11, 2011, 9:19 PM
Post #55 of 68 (1248 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3388

Re: [johnwesely] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

The lack of teaching jobs and schools having no money, and more applicants than position came long before the economy collapses in 2008.

That may be the case, but that was not what every single adult I trusted at the time was telling me. I was naive, and they gave me no reason to do further research.

In reply to:
You comment on teaching not being prestigious, I don't agree. I find it to be among the most noble and important professions in the world. I love my time in the class room and the only reason I left education was I wanted to earn more income and still climb a to.

I really enjoy teaching and believe good teachers are vital to a successful society, but I really don't get that impression when I watch the news, listen to politicians, or hear people talk about teaching, especially recently.

In reply to:
If you're not against living overseas, I still recommend you check out tieonline. Shoot me an email and I lend you access to the site so you can see the positions listed and if you like something posted, you cans end off your resume.

I really appreciate the offer, but I could not do the overseas thing.

In reply to:
I think that choosing to become a public school teacher in America today is not a good long term career choice. To much is dependent on the politician in charge for that term, the school-board in charge for that year, and the Federal Government's Education Flavor of the year.

Trust me when I say I feel the same way, but right now, I don't know what else to do. I could do grad school, but that path is even riskier than what I am doing right now. I could go to law school, but I don't really want to be a lawyer, and the employment rate for lawyers is atrocious, not to mention the mass amount of debt I would accumulate.


Another misconception today is that more school is the best way to move forward.

have you considered starting in Private schools instead of public school?


guangzhou


Oct 11, 2011, 9:40 PM
Post #56 of 68 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3388

Re: [rrrADAM] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
In reply to:

The only reason we have a great interstate is that the government wanted alternate landing strips in case we were invaded. I do believe that a country's road system should be nationalized. It's part of a country's infrastructure.

This is an urban legend and pretty nonsensical if you stop to think about it.

Urban legend taught in the various Military academies as fact.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/airstrip.asp

Nice link, and while I agree that in today's world it makes no sense, we are talking about America before the car was the common mode of transportation. America before they were "private landing strips" to help.


Consider for a moment that not only are you wrong, but you have even been supplied with the evidence to show that you are wrong, and you still will not budge.

Also, I was in the military, and this was NEVER suggested, but instead, that Ike was impressed with the German highway system, and their ability to move troops and stuff on it, and we did it for the same reason.

Think about that, my friend... If you are wrong, what would convince you of this? It seems as if nothing would, and that is not reasonable.


And this...
"...not sure where I heard/read it..." or "...taught as fact."

This is how Michelle B-man argues... If you are going to throw out 'facts' then you should substanciate them with evidence of such facts.

I remember hearing this about the autobahn too. Eisenhower was a lieutenant when he had to cross the U.S. with troops to do a feasibility study of mass troops movement. As a logistical expert during the wars, you could say he was fascinated with making transportation in the U.S. more efficient.

While I was in the Army and while doing a historical tour of war sites in Germany lead by a German university professor. German did land planes on the system, which could explain why it was planned here in America.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/...structure/turner.cfm

The funding was for the The National Highway Defense System before it was renamed the Federal Aid Highway act. This is where the Straight strips were proposed to get funding approved by a Red Scared Congress, whether the strips were ever implemented, I don't know, but they were part of the original design and helped with funding for sure.

Again, you can look at what people did half a century ago and say it won't work because of what exist today. Prior to roads, American were building canals to move goods all over the place. Actually, those Canals led to one of the First Economic Bubbles to burst.

Also, the original Interstate system was not what it is today. It was a much smaller project that has grown over the years, both in millage and funding.

As for not sure where I read it, I read a lot and don't remember every book by hearth. I did say which book I thought is was.


(This post was edited by guangzhou on Oct 11, 2011, 9:44 PM)


johnwesely


Oct 12, 2011, 3:19 AM
Post #57 of 68 (1229 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [guangzhou] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
have you considered starting in Private schools instead of public school?

Yes, but I came to that realization a little too late for it to make a difference this year.


superchuffer


Oct 12, 2011, 6:13 AM
Post #58 of 68 (1219 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 9, 2011
Posts: 294

Re: [guangzhou] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You comment on teaching not being prestigious, I don't agree. I find it to be among the most noble and important professions in the world. I love my time in the class room and the only reason I left education was I wanted to earn more income and still climb a to.

prestigious means how society views something, not you personally. you may find teaching personally rewarding, but society, especially the fox news republicans and tea baggers, shit on it whenever possible.

people like you that put teaching on a pedestal marginalizes and patronizes the profession. people then assume they can pay teachers and aides nothing because they are so happy raising the brats of modern society.

i have been teaching for 15 years and if i had to do it over again, i wouldn't be a teacher. i have some level of job security, but i will never make significantly more than i do now.


dr_feelgood


Oct 12, 2011, 7:07 AM
Post #59 of 68 (1216 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 6, 2004
Posts: 25628

Re: [guangzhou] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

The lack of teaching jobs and schools having no money, and more applicants than position came long before the economy collapses in 2008.

That may be the case, but that was not what every single adult I trusted at the time was telling me. I was naive, and they gave me no reason to do further research.

In reply to:
You comment on teaching not being prestigious, I don't agree. I find it to be among the most noble and important professions in the world. I love my time in the class room and the only reason I left education was I wanted to earn more income and still climb a to.

I really enjoy teaching and believe good teachers are vital to a successful society, but I really don't get that impression when I watch the news, listen to politicians, or hear people talk about teaching, especially recently.

In reply to:
If you're not against living overseas, I still recommend you check out tieonline. Shoot me an email and I lend you access to the site so you can see the positions listed and if you like something posted, you cans end off your resume.

I really appreciate the offer, but I could not do the overseas thing.

In reply to:
I think that choosing to become a public school teacher in America today is not a good long term career choice. To much is dependent on the politician in charge for that term, the school-board in charge for that year, and the Federal Government's Education Flavor of the year.

Trust me when I say I feel the same way, but right now, I don't know what else to do. I could do grad school, but that path is even riskier than what I am doing right now. I could go to law school, but I don't really want to be a lawyer, and the employment rate for lawyers is atrocious, not to mention the mass amount of debt I would accumulate.


Another misconception today is that more school is the best way to move forward.

have you considered starting in Private schools instead of public school?

Whoo! Another attack on the intelligentsia!


petsfed


Oct 12, 2011, 9:03 AM
Post #60 of 68 (1204 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 24, 2002
Posts: 8585

Re: [guangzhou] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Another misconception today is that more school is the best way to move forward.

Considering that a basic level of education in a field (e.g. a bachelor's) is only good for a low level technician job, I'd say that if you're looking for a good balance of job security and fast advancement, specialization (e.g. more schooling) is the best way forward.


chadnsc


Oct 12, 2011, 10:51 AM
Post #61 of 68 (1190 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 24, 2003
Posts: 4449

Re: [petsfed] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
Another misconception today is that more school is the best way to move forward.

Considering that a basic level of education in a field (e.g. a bachelor's) is only good for a low level technician job, I'd say that if you're looking for a good balance of job security and fast advancement, specialization (e.g. more schooling) is the best way forward.

I wonder about that.

It seems that many degrees today are so specialized that in a way they are basically four year tech degrees. In today's economy such specialization has caused problems. Take me for example, I am an architect (a bachelor's degree) and my industry is suffering from a 35% unemployment.

A college of mine involved in education thinks that what the future needs is a less specialized education and more of a liberal arts degree to teach problem solving skills.

I'm not saying that this is correct but it does make me wonder.


petsfed


Oct 12, 2011, 12:59 PM
Post #62 of 68 (1179 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 24, 2002
Posts: 8585

Re: [chadnsc] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, you can address the circle-of-knowledge requirements without detracting from actual ability. Which is to say, if you can get the students to actually remember something after the test, you don't need to require half a dozen more basket-weaving, chicano studies, and comparative religion classes out of a mechanical engineer. That is to say, if the students are actually benefited from the first half-dozen courses that weren't part of their major, then you would probably see their broader problem solving skills improve. As it stands, if I was too lazy to see the higher-order connections between philosophy and physics the first go around, chances are I'm going to be just as lazy the second time around.


scrapedape


Oct 12, 2011, 1:23 PM
Post #63 of 68 (1173 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 23, 2004
Posts: 2392

Re: [guangzhou] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
I remember hearing this about the autobahn too. Eisenhower was a lieutenant when he had to cross the U.S. with troops to do a feasibility study of mass troops movement. As a logistical expert during the wars, you could say he was fascinated with making transportation in the U.S. more efficient.

While I was in the Army and while doing a historical tour of war sites in Germany lead by a German university professor. German did land planes on the system, which could explain why it was planned here in America.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/...structure/turner.cfm

The funding was for the The National Highway Defense System before it was renamed the Federal Aid Highway act. This is where the Straight strips were proposed to get funding approved by a Red Scared Congress, whether the strips were ever implemented, I don't know, but they were part of the original design and helped with funding for sure.

Again, you can look at what people did half a century ago and say it won't work because of what exist today. Prior to roads, American were building canals to move goods all over the place. Actually, those Canals led to one of the First Economic Bubbles to burst.

Also, the original Interstate system was not what it is today. It was a much smaller project that has grown over the years, both in millage and funding.

As for not sure where I read it, I read a lot and don't remember every book by hearth. I did say which book I thought is was.

guangzhou does seem to have reno's knack for posting links that completely contradict his own argument.

His link from the outset states that this was a peripheral consideration in the design of the Interstate system, not its raison d'etre:

In reply to:
One of the things that we did just as a sideline on the Autobahns; after we got a start on the thing . . . we actually went over there and looked at the Autobahns in that regard to include and to incorporate into the Interstate Program (in the design) some of the concepts that they had over there. The Air Force, particularly pushed us on this. I suppose you're familiar with [the fact that one] of our major airports over there that was a part of the Autobahn. In fact, the Autobahn was used originally as runways. The airport was built right on the Autobahn . . . .

Next the interviewee notes the secretive nature of the Air Force's requests. It doesn't seem like much of a selling point if it's classified.

In reply to:
After the war in the early ''50s, we were pressured pretty hard by the Air Force to build into the Interstate System exactly that same capability... So, periodically, about every 40-50 miles, we'd have about a three-mile section there that would meet those requirements. This was to be highly classified, of course.

Finally, he notes that despite the Air Force's wishes, this scheme was abandoned as unworkable:

In reply to:
I sent a guy, a team actually, over to Europe with a team from the Air Force headquarters to look at that particular point and see if we could incorporate it. They came back with the conclusion that from a practical standpoint we couldn't really do it. Not because we couldn't do it physically, but we could not, with our projections of traffic use and the kind of controls that would be required to permit emergency use of that thing, except as you took all the highway traffic off entirely. Made it exclusively a runway. It had to be one or the other. It couldn't-maybe today it'd be this way and this afternoon it'd be something different. We just couldn't mold those two concepts together. So it was abandoned, but it was abandoned for that kind of reason, rather than the physical capability of it. But the design of the interstate was based on all this accumulation of material, basic data, traffic counts, economy, everything else that prohibited any intrusion into that concept by something like emergency strips. Part of the system's consideration was defense use by the military. Even if we did that for the Air Force, the Air Force would then be competing with the Transportation Corps on the ground that moving convoys, which one's going to get the green light.


(This post was edited by scrapedape on Oct 12, 2011, 1:28 PM)


traddad


Oct 12, 2011, 1:49 PM
Post #64 of 68 (1162 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2001
Posts: 7129

Re: [scrapedape] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
I remember hearing this about the autobahn too. Eisenhower was a lieutenant when he had to cross the U.S. with troops to do a feasibility study of mass troops movement. As a logistical expert during the wars, you could say he was fascinated with making transportation in the U.S. more efficient.

While I was in the Army and while doing a historical tour of war sites in Germany lead by a German university professor. German did land planes on the system, which could explain why it was planned here in America.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/...structure/turner.cfm

The funding was for the The National Highway Defense System before it was renamed the Federal Aid Highway act. This is where the Straight strips were proposed to get funding approved by a Red Scared Congress, whether the strips were ever implemented, I don't know, but they were part of the original design and helped with funding for sure.

Again, you can look at what people did half a century ago and say it won't work because of what exist today. Prior to roads, American were building canals to move goods all over the place. Actually, those Canals led to one of the First Economic Bubbles to burst.

Also, the original Interstate system was not what it is today. It was a much smaller project that has grown over the years, both in millage and funding.

As for not sure where I read it, I read a lot and don't remember every book by hearth. I did say which book I thought is was.

guangzhou does seem to have reno's knack for posting links that completely contradict his own argument.

His link from the outset states that this was a peripheral consideration in the design of the Interstate system, not its raison d'etre:

In reply to:
One of the things that we did just as a sideline on the Autobahns; after we got a start on the thing . . . we actually went over there and looked at the Autobahns in that regard to include and to incorporate into the Interstate Program (in the design) some of the concepts that they had over there. The Air Force, particularly pushed us on this. I suppose you're familiar with [the fact that one] of our major airports over there that was a part of the Autobahn. In fact, the Autobahn was used originally as runways. The airport was built right on the Autobahn . . . .

Next the interviewee notes the secretive nature of the Air Force's requests. It doesn't seem like much of a selling point if it's classified.

In reply to:
After the war in the early ''50s, we were pressured pretty hard by the Air Force to build into the Interstate System exactly that same capability... So, periodically, about every 40-50 miles, we'd have about a three-mile section there that would meet those requirements. This was to be highly classified, of course.

Finally, he notes that despite the Air Force's wishes, this scheme was abandoned as unworkable:

In reply to:
I sent a guy, a team actually, over to Europe with a team from the Air Force headquarters to look at that particular point and see if we could incorporate it. They came back with the conclusion that from a practical standpoint we couldn't really do it. Not because we couldn't do it physically, but we could not, with our projections of traffic use and the kind of controls that would be required to permit emergency use of that thing, except as you took all the highway traffic off entirely. Made it exclusively a runway. It had to be one or the other. It couldn't-maybe today it'd be this way and this afternoon it'd be something different. We just couldn't mold those two concepts together. So it was abandoned, but it was abandoned for that kind of reason, rather than the physical capability of it. But the design of the interstate was based on all this accumulation of material, basic data, traffic counts, economy, everything else that prohibited any intrusion into that concept by something like emergency strips. Part of the system's consideration was defense use by the military. Even if we did that for the Air Force, the Air Force would then be competing with the Transportation Corps on the ground that moving convoys, which one's going to get the green light.


....and don't you DARE tell John Galt the railroads were subsidized......


guangzhou


Oct 13, 2011, 5:15 AM
Post #65 of 68 (1122 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3388

Re: [superchuffer] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

superchuffer wrote:
In reply to:
You comment on teaching not being prestigious, I don't agree. I find it to be among the most noble and important professions in the world. I love my time in the class room and the only reason I left education was I wanted to earn more income and still climb a to.

prestigious means how society views something, not you personally. you may find teaching personally rewarding, but society, especially the fox news republicans and tea baggers, shit on it whenever possible.

people like you that put teaching on a pedestal marginalizes and patronizes the profession. people then assume they can pay teachers and aides nothing because they are so happy raising the brats of modern society.

People like me decide to quit after teaching Middle School for a decade.

As long as teachers don't quit and other people are lining-up for teaching jobs even though the pay is bad, the salaries teaching won't rise. School Systems and State Governments don't assume they can pay teachers badly, they know it. They know because teachers are not quitting left and right, instead, they keep volunteering for more or holding on because even-though the pay sucks, the the system provides "job security."

Teachers who complain about bad pay and don't quit teaching are the reason why pay doesn't go up in teaching.


In reply to:
i have been teaching for 15 years and if i had to do it over again, i wouldn't be a teacher. i have some level of job security, but i will never make significantly more than i do now.

After ten years of teaching, I decided to quit the field and do something completely different because I know that salaries won't go up in my life time.

While I felt I made "ok" money, especially once I moved overseas to various schools that cater to the consulate services, and had living expenses covered, and didn't pay taxes, I still felt like I could do something that used less of my time and made me more money.

So, although I love being in the classroom, I didn't see my students as brats, my test scored were two to three grade levels higher than grade level, I still quit teaching because I wanted to earn more money and have move opportunity to take climbing trips during non vacation times. (Less crowded areas, cheaper airfare, and more variety of places to visit.)

By the way, you can change careers.

Teacher really want the system to pay them more, more teachers need to quit for higher paying jobs.

I am not sure how much job security teachers actually have in today's world.

Regardless of job security or pay, I would not work in a job I didn't enjoy.


(This post was edited by guangzhou on Oct 13, 2011, 5:42 AM)


Partner rrrADAM


Oct 13, 2011, 9:41 AM
Post #66 of 68 (1099 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 19, 1999
Posts: 17543

Re: [guangzhou] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
In reply to:

The only reason we have a great interstate is that the government wanted alternate landing strips in case we were invaded. I do believe that a country's road system should be nationalized. It's part of a country's infrastructure.

This is an urban legend and pretty nonsensical if you stop to think about it.

Urban legend taught in the various Military academies as fact.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/airstrip.asp

Nice link, and while I agree that in today's world it makes no sense, we are talking about America before the car was the common mode of transportation. America before they were "private landing strips" to help.


Consider for a moment that not only are you wrong, but you have even been supplied with the evidence to show that you are wrong, and you still will not budge.

Also, I was in the military, and this was NEVER suggested, but instead, that Ike was impressed with the German highway system, and their ability to move troops and stuff on it, and we did it for the same reason.

Think about that, my friend... If you are wrong, what would convince you of this? It seems as if nothing would, and that is not reasonable.


And this...
"...not sure where I heard/read it..." or "...taught as fact."

This is how Michelle B-man argues... If you are going to throw out 'facts' then you should substanciate them with evidence of such facts.

I remember hearing this about the autobahn too. Eisenhower was a lieutenant when he had to cross the U.S. with troops to do a feasibility study of mass troops movement. As a logistical expert during the wars, you could say he was fascinated with making transportation in the U.S. more efficient.

While I was in the Army and while doing a historical tour of war sites in Germany lead by a German university professor. German did land planes on the system, which could explain why it was planned here in America.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/...structure/turner.cfm

The funding was for the The National Highway Defense System before it was renamed the Federal Aid Highway act. This is where the Straight strips were proposed to get funding approved by a Red Scared Congress, whether the strips were ever implemented, I don't know, but they were part of the original design and helped with funding for sure.

Again, you can look at what people did half a century ago and say it won't work because of what exist today. Prior to roads, American were building canals to move goods all over the place. Actually, those Canals led to one of the First Economic Bubbles to burst.

Also, the original Interstate system was not what it is today. It was a much smaller project that has grown over the years, both in millage and funding.

As for not sure where I read it, I read a lot and don't remember every book by hearth. I did say which book I thought is was.

Not that you will get it, but it's worth a try:
http://en.wikipedia.org/...2%80%93Kruger_effect

Be sure to reference their published paper:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/...ep=rep1&type=pdf


guangzhou


Oct 13, 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #67 of 68 (1078 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3388

Re: [rrrADAM] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
In reply to:

The only reason we have a great interstate is that the government wanted alternate landing strips in case we were invaded. I do believe that a country's road system should be nationalized. It's part of a country's infrastructure.

This is an urban legend and pretty nonsensical if you stop to think about it.

Urban legend taught in the various Military academies as fact.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/airstrip.asp

Nice link, and while I agree that in today's world it makes no sense, we are talking about America before the car was the common mode of transportation. America before they were "private landing strips" to help.


Consider for a moment that not only are you wrong, but you have even been supplied with the evidence to show that you are wrong, and you still will not budge.

Also, I was in the military, and this was NEVER suggested, but instead, that Ike was impressed with the German highway system, and their ability to move troops and stuff on it, and we did it for the same reason.

Think about that, my friend... If you are wrong, what would convince you of this? It seems as if nothing would, and that is not reasonable.


And this...
"...not sure where I heard/read it..." or "...taught as fact."

This is how Michelle B-man argues... If you are going to throw out 'facts' then you should substanciate them with evidence of such facts.

I remember hearing this about the autobahn too. Eisenhower was a lieutenant when he had to cross the U.S. with troops to do a feasibility study of mass troops movement. As a logistical expert during the wars, you could say he was fascinated with making transportation in the U.S. more efficient.

While I was in the Army and while doing a historical tour of war sites in Germany lead by a German university professor. German did land planes on the system, which could explain why it was planned here in America.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/...structure/turner.cfm

The funding was for the The National Highway Defense System before it was renamed the Federal Aid Highway act. This is where the Straight strips were proposed to get funding approved by a Red Scared Congress, whether the strips were ever implemented, I don't know, but they were part of the original design and helped with funding for sure.

Again, you can look at what people did half a century ago and say it won't work because of what exist today. Prior to roads, American were building canals to move goods all over the place. Actually, those Canals led to one of the First Economic Bubbles to burst.

Also, the original Interstate system was not what it is today. It was a much smaller project that has grown over the years, both in millage and funding.

As for not sure where I read it, I read a lot and don't remember every book by hearth. I did say which book I thought is was.

Not that you will get it, but it's worth a try:
http://en.wikipedia.org/...2%80%93Kruger_effect

Be sure to reference their published paper:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/...ep=rep1&type=pdf

Thanks, I am now convinced highways has landing strips urban legend. Appreciate all the time you guys took to convince me. This topic was keeping me up at nights for sure.

On the case Study, I read this along time ago, but thanks for bringing it up. What I've learned in life is to read and question, not just to read and accept.

Questions:

Have you noticed that all of the 45 participants in the case study were all Cornell University Students. Cornell is not a bottom tear school last I checked.Wink

I wonder how much ego was involved in Cornell Students.

How many of societies lower quartile students get accepted into Cornell? Could being told you're good enough to attend an Ivy League School cause some misconception about how competent someone is?

Also, looking at the charts that represent the researchers data, it seems that roughly 70% of participants mis-estimated their abilities.
A side note, the participants average estimation of their performance was 66% if I am still reading the chart correctly.

Seems strange to me a Cornell University Student would honestly believe his grammar to be at 66%.

Whether you over estimate or under estimate you ability, you mis-estimated. Either way, you are wrong about how you perform and you didn't get a good self-performance estimate.

While the study implies that the more competent you are, the better you are estimating yourself, the data it sites doesn't support that. After all, if you score 90% and "estimate you scored 80%, you're still not competent at evaluating you ability.

In the last 10 to 15 years, the same journal that published this case study has published other case studies that both support and refutes it's findings. I am not the only one who remains unconvinced.

I wonder what would happen if this case study was done with people who were told their whole life they were below average. I bet we would get the opposite findings.


(This post was edited by guangzhou on Oct 13, 2011, 11:51 PM)


Partner rrrADAM


Oct 14, 2011, 8:12 AM
Post #68 of 68 (1054 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 19, 1999
Posts: 17543

Re: [guangzhou] Accept responsibility for your choices [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As I said...
In reply to:
Not that you will get it, but it's worth a try...

Take the time to digest the info, instead of attempting to instantly regergiutate what you think it means, convinced that you are now an expert in that field as well (I.e., more so than those who conducted the study).

Hint... This IS the point of the study.

Example... If you bothered to actually read and digest the details, rather than scan and dismiss, you would see that there have been expanded folow-up studies:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/...ii/S074959780700060X



Edit... There is almsot a rich irony in the title of your own thread here when juxtaposed with your apparent inability to be wrong as evidenced by your replies when given information that shows you are wrong.


(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Oct 14, 2011, 10:09 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook