Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Overweight
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All


bearbreeder


Mar 2, 2012, 3:57 PM
Post #26 of 92 (3106 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [nikilee93] Reply: [nikilee93] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

use anger, hatred and the darkside ...

if it gets you climbing Wink

squash that insignificant top rope loving, top rope critiquing, overly complex top rope building jedi master lke the sith climbing lord you will become Tongue

what people say on RC has little relevance ... just go out and give it a go!


nikilee93


Mar 2, 2012, 4:01 PM
Post #27 of 92 (3100 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 28, 2012
Posts: 3

Re: [bearbreeder] Reply: [nikilee93] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
use anger, hatred and the darkside ...

if it gets you climbing Wink

squash that insignificant top rope loving, top rope critiquing, overly complex top rope building jedi master lke the sith climbing lord you will become Tongue

what people say on RC has little relevance ... just go out and give it a go!
I plan on it :] And i love the star wars reference ahaha. I am excited though! I should be going to this gym down the street from my house this weekend and I can't wait to get started!!


FriscoWilderness


Mar 2, 2012, 4:06 PM
Post #28 of 92 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 8, 2009
Posts: 86

Re: [nikilee93] Reply: [nikilee93] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nikilee93,
Try not to take some on this forum seriously and always research any advise you get here.


ChessRonin


Mar 8, 2012, 1:03 AM
Post #29 of 92 (2962 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 13, 2011
Posts: 28

Re: [nikilee93] Reply: [nikilee93] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nikilee93 wrote:
Okay, for one. how am i lying to myself? I know I am bigger or as you say "buried in blubber" and I am working out to lose the weight and eating healthier. Two why would you say anything or reply to this post if you were just going to be an ass...
Its people like you that make me want to climb just so i can prove that i can do it...

so why don't you go crawl back in the cave you came from and stay there...

I think that it's quite possible that he intended to motivate you. "Pick up the gauntlet" is universal language for a challenge; pretty obvious.

In any case, of course the equipment is safe (as others have said). Plenty of "fit" people weigh well over 200lbs, so of course safety equipment is not designed with a sub-200lb safety limit (or sub-400lb, for that matter).

Climbing will help you to lose weight, but only if it serves to motivate you to exercise. More important than the climbing or any exercise will be your diet. If you want some help with that part (the MOST important part), let me know, and I'll point you to some good resources.

Good luck and have fun!


healyje


Mar 8, 2012, 2:11 AM
Post #30 of 92 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 22, 2004
Posts: 4199

Re: [nikilee93] Overweight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You can definitely blow off Rmsyll2 for lack of tact and go with all the suggestions to just start climbing and all will be well, but the reality is at that BMI you will be inflicting damage if you were to keep it up and / or try to "keep up with the jones".

Yeah, it's a wildly un-PC deal, but the bottom line is climbing is an anti-gravity sport and a way- out-of-whack BMI is just not suitable for anything but dabbling and getting a taste of it all.

One of my old partners at 5'11" was 270lbs for a couple of decades until December 2010 when he retired. He's now 170lbs, trying to qualify for the Boston Marathon, and about to run his first Ultra in July.

You want to play and dabble, cool; you want to be serious and do this for the long haul then you'll lose the weight.


JimTitt


Mar 8, 2012, 12:18 PM
Post #31 of 92 (2898 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 7, 2008
Posts: 973

Re: [nikilee93] Overweight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Your only a bit short!
Go climbing, plenty of people out there heavier than you. Im 6ft and did a new 2000+ ft route last month carrying a rucksack with bolting gear so 250 lbs all up. And Im old as well, made it to 59 with this skeleton still trying to escape (it likes the beer it gets every day so doesnt try too hard).
BMI isnt worth a shit, my wife is specialised in growth and body development and says so. I used to easily manage "obese" when I was a professional enduro rider.


ceebo


Mar 8, 2012, 12:32 PM
Post #32 of 92 (2890 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 8, 2009
Posts: 862

Re: [nikilee93] Overweight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

nikilee93 wrote:
I have been interested in rock climbing for a while now but have been really nervous to because I am overweight. I am 5'7 and weigh 217 pounds. I have been wanting to lose weight and I figured this might just be a good time to start climbing.

would there be any troubles with me climbing? Would the gear be able to hold me(I am afraid of ropes breaking and such)? Is it common for people overweight to climb? Any tips for a person who wants to begin climbing in washington state?

I remmeber a while back i was doing dead hangs. I added 30lb and my hang time was reduced by some 60 or 70% if i remember right. However.. build that hang time with the extra 30lb's to what was the original none weighted time and my none weighted time would see a huge increase as a result, as happened.

For you, gaining strength is not even needed as a target. You can go climb the most easy of climbs every single day and only work on technique. By the time you lose 30lb's.. all the extra weight you carry is exposing you to f6 kinde level endurance and strength. If you focus your technique while auto gaining the physical side from added weight.. you wqill start soaring through the grades as the weight drops off. The only limiting factor will be how fast you can learn technique to keep up with the progress.

An easy target is to start at the most easy level.. 5.6 i think for us?. For every 10lb you lose go up a level and stay their till you lose 10 more.

Slab and vert should be your main focus for first months. The extra weight could be dangerous if you are climbing too much over hangs. Their are elbo troubles and finger injurys etc to watch for. Maybe leave over hangs untill you get to f6 finde grades.


(This post was edited by ceebo on Mar 8, 2012, 12:34 PM)


ObiKate


Mar 8, 2012, 4:46 PM
Post #33 of 92 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2012
Posts: 4

Re: [nikilee93] Reply: [nikilee93] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi! Just curious where you're heading to climb, I'm in Olympia WA, and we have a fantastic little gym here... I'm a beginner as well, hit me up if you're ever in need of a belayer near the South Sound!

Climbing is so much fun you hardly notice you're getting a full body workout (till your muscles remind you the next day :) )


Jaren


Mar 10, 2012, 9:53 AM
Post #34 of 92 (2775 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 3, 2011
Posts: 5

Re: [nikilee93] Overweight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a friend that is about 5'6" and well above 210. He goes climbing with us and just sticks to the easier routes. If you are looking at it as a way to get in shape then I'd look for walls with a little bit of a hike. That way you can burn off even more calories. After my wife had our baby and was trying to drop weight for races she would carry all of our gear for the added workout. (her idea, not mine) The point is. Go out and do it.


crjanow


Mar 13, 2012, 1:35 PM
Post #35 of 92 (2689 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 17, 2008
Posts: 69

Re: [Rmsyll2] Reply: [nikilee93] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/107136725
One photo of a sort of climbing that is particularly suited to heavier people, whose greater weight increases friction on their feet.

But at 217 at 5'7" you have a BMI of 34 and are obese, with at least a decade devoted to burying yourself in blubber. Somewhere inside of what you have learned to believe is you, is a skeleton that is the beginning of what you really are. You've already distorted it and damaged all the supportive joints and stressed all the organs. Until you stop outright lying to yourself, as you have the same years invested in, you will still not know what the real you could do.

Climbing itself is just exercise, and cannot itself cause you to lose that much useless and harmful bulk. Climbing could be a measure and a cause for losing weight, which will take years and more self-control than you have ever exercised in that way. Bicycling would imo be better for losing weight, or swimming laps. I think you are still lying to yourself, the same way you got so fat, to imagine pulling all that flab up a cliff. Yes, there are people who are climbing despite some excess, but not climbing as they could if they were only what they truly are instead of all that blob.

There, sir, is a gauntlet. If you can bend enough to pick it up, and still stand up, maybe, just maybe....

.
dont just beat around the bush what do you really think?Shocked


bearbreeder


Mar 14, 2012, 12:47 AM
Post #36 of 92 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [crjanow] Reply: [nikilee93] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

this is more hiking and mountain climbing ... but same principal applies, just go out and do it, and dont stop ...

http://www.themercury.com.au/...1_tasmania-news.html


JUST HANGING AROUND: Erin Hibberd has lost 72kg since starting rock climbing and bush walking. Picture: SAM ROSEWARNE




Mr Hibberd, before he fell in love with Tassie's wilderness.


photonicgirl


Mar 14, 2012, 5:55 AM
Post #37 of 92 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 19, 2003
Posts: 150

Re: [nikilee93] Overweight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Niki,

I'm going to be completely honest with you: Climbing at your weight will not be fun for you at all. However, if your goal is to climb and lose weight, I can suggest that you begin taking yoga classes, keep a food diary, and walk. Give yourself 2000 calories per day, cut out dairy and sugar. No diet drinks! That stuff is poison. Climbing up and down is one of the most gravity impacted sports in the world, second to maybe gymnastics. Be realistic with yourself, so that you don't hate climbing later because you couldn't do it this second.

I speak from experience. Feel free to email me and we'll have you climbing as soon as you drop 60 pounds. It can be your goal.

Jules


Rudmin


Mar 14, 2012, 6:12 AM
Post #38 of 92 (2613 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 29, 2009
Posts: 606

Re: [bearbreeder] Reply: [nikilee93] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone think that climbing will cause you to lose weight though? I mean it might give you motivation because it's easier to climb when you're lighter, but I think the only real exercise I get while climbing happens on the approach. Maybe speed climbing raelly long routes could get you sweating buckets, but for the most part climbing, especially at the gym is like doing short bursts of work with lots of rest.


chadnsc


Mar 14, 2012, 8:23 AM
Post #39 of 92 (2588 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 24, 2003
Posts: 4449

Re: [photonicgirl] Overweight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

photonicgirl wrote:
Hi Niki,

I'm going to be completely honest with you: Climbing at your weight will not be fun for you at all. However, if your goal is to climb and lose weight, I can suggest that you begin taking yoga classes, keep a food diary, and walk. Give yourself 2000 calories per day, cut out dairy and sugar. No diet drinks! That stuff is poison. Climbing up and down is one of the most gravity impacted sports in the world, second to maybe gymnastics. Be realistic with yourself, so that you don't hate climbing later because you couldn't do it this second.

I speak from experience. Feel free to email me and we'll have you climbing as soon as you drop 60 pounds. It can be your goal.

Jules


Be vary carful giving generalized nutrition advice. What works for you may not / will not work for the OP.


sungam


Mar 14, 2012, 8:38 AM
Post #40 of 92 (2574 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26572

Re: [photonicgirl] Overweight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

photonicgirl wrote:
Hi Niki,

I'm going to be completely honest with you: Climbing at your weight will not be fun for you at all. However, if your goal is to climb and lose weight, I can suggest that you begin taking yoga classes, keep a food diary, and walk. Give yourself 2000 calories per day, cut out dairy and sugar.
Okay, some of your advice is fine. Keeping a food diary and taking excersize classes (wether they be yoga or something else) is fine.

Telling someone to eat 2000 calories is ridiculous, you have no idea what their reccomended intake is, you don't even know if they are male for female.

As for saying "cut out dairy and sugar." all I can do is facepalm. You have got to be kidding me. I really hope you don't mean they should avoid fruits. And what is wrong with dairy*?

nikilee93, if you want diet advice check out "Gold Medal Nutrition" by Glenn Cardwell. It is an excellent and well written book that will teach you about nutrition, because 3 sentences (even if they were well researched and clearly written) aren't going to give you all the answers you need/want.

JT512 also wrote a good short article on losing weight for climbing: http://jt512.dyndns.org/what_to_eat.pdf



*On second thought, please don't.


jt512


Mar 14, 2012, 8:48 AM
Post #41 of 92 (2567 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21890

Re: [chadnsc] Overweight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
photonicgirl wrote:
Hi Niki,

I'm going to be completely honest with you: Climbing at your weight will not be fun for you at all. However, if your goal is to climb and lose weight, I can suggest that you begin taking yoga classes, keep a food diary, and walk. Give yourself 2000 calories per day, cut out dairy and sugar. No diet drinks! That stuff is poison. Climbing up and down is one of the most gravity impacted sports in the world, second to maybe gymnastics. Be realistic with yourself, so that you don't hate climbing later because you couldn't do it this second.

I speak from experience. Feel free to email me and we'll have you climbing as soon as you drop 60 pounds. It can be your goal.

Jules


Be vary carful giving generalized nutrition advice. What works for you may not / will not work for the OP.

Especially when it is ignorant advice.

Jay


ceebo


Mar 14, 2012, 8:49 AM
Post #42 of 92 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 8, 2009
Posts: 862

Re: [Rudmin] Reply: [nikilee93] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rudmin wrote:
Does anyone think that climbing will cause you to lose weight though? I mean it might give you motivation because it's easier to climb when you're lighter, but I think the only real exercise I get while climbing happens on the approach. Maybe speed climbing raelly long routes could get you sweating buckets, but for the most part climbing, especially at the gym is like doing short bursts of work with lots of rest.

For him, 45 min of traverse or up/down climbing slab will lose weight. Any other angle wall will most likely see him fall off from muscle failure in 5 min.

Trouble is, you have to be climbing mad in order to stomach 45 min drills.


chadnsc


Mar 14, 2012, 9:03 AM
Post #43 of 92 (2560 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 24, 2003
Posts: 4449

Re: [jt512] Overweight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
photonicgirl wrote:
Hi Niki,

I'm going to be completely honest with you: Climbing at your weight will not be fun for you at all. However, if your goal is to climb and lose weight, I can suggest that you begin taking yoga classes, keep a food diary, and walk. Give yourself 2000 calories per day, cut out dairy and sugar. No diet drinks! That stuff is poison. Climbing up and down is one of the most gravity impacted sports in the world, second to maybe gymnastics. Be realistic with yourself, so that you don't hate climbing later because you couldn't do it this second.

I speak from experience. Feel free to email me and we'll have you climbing as soon as you drop 60 pounds. It can be your goal.

Jules


Be vary carful giving generalized nutrition advice. What works for you may not / will not work for the OP.

Especially when it is ignorant advice.

Jay


I figured I'd let someone with an actual background in nutrion tackle that on. :P


jt512


Mar 14, 2012, 9:33 AM
Post #44 of 92 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21890

Re: [photonicgirl] Overweight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (12 ratings)  
Can't Post

photonicgirl wrote:
Hi Niki,

I'm going to be completely honest with you: Climbing at your weight will not be fun for you at all. However, if your goal is to climb and lose weight, I can suggest that you begin taking yoga classes, keep a food diary, and walk. Give yourself 2000 calories per day, cut out dairy and sugar. No diet drinks! That stuff is poison. Climbing up and down is one of the most gravity impacted sports in the world, second to maybe gymnastics. Be realistic with yourself, so that you don't hate climbing later because you couldn't do it this second.

I speak from experience. Feel free to email me and we'll have you climbing as soon as you drop 60 pounds. It can be your goal.

Jules

Prior to reading your post, I could not have imagined that such good intentions and bad advice could coexist in a single paragraph. First of all, who the fuck are you to tell someone what they will or will not find fun? Secondly, who the fuck are you to give nutrition and exercise advice? Your nutritional advice is idiotic, and your exercise advice no better than random. The only thing in your post that is entirely factual is that gravity is a force in climbing. Who knew?

Jay


TarHeelEMT


Mar 14, 2012, 10:14 AM
Post #45 of 92 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 20, 2009
Posts: 724

Re: [jt512] Overweight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
photonicgirl wrote:
Hi Niki,

I'm going to be completely honest with you: Climbing at your weight will not be fun for you at all. However, if your goal is to climb and lose weight, I can suggest that you begin taking yoga classes, keep a food diary, and walk. Give yourself 2000 calories per day, cut out dairy and sugar. No diet drinks! That stuff is poison. Climbing up and down is one of the most gravity impacted sports in the world, second to maybe gymnastics. Be realistic with yourself, so that you don't hate climbing later because you couldn't do it this second.

I speak from experience. Feel free to email me and we'll have you climbing as soon as you drop 60 pounds. It can be your goal.

Jules

Prior to reading your post, I could not have imagined that such good intentions and bad advice could coexist in a single paragraph. First of all, who the fuck are you to tell someone what they will or will not find fun? Secondly, who the fuck are you to give nutrition and exercise advice? Your nutritional advice is idiotic, and your exercise advice no better than random. The only thing in your post that is entirely factual is that gravity is a force in climbing. Who knew?

Jay

Who the heck voted this one star?


(This post was edited by TarHeelEMT on Mar 14, 2012, 10:15 AM)


sungam


Mar 14, 2012, 10:16 AM
Post #46 of 92 (2522 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26572

Re: [jt512] Overweight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
photonicgirl wrote:
Hi Niki,

I'm going to be completely honest with you: Climbing at your weight will not be fun for you at all. However, if your goal is to climb and lose weight, I can suggest that you begin taking yoga classes, keep a food diary, and walk. Give yourself 2000 calories per day, cut out dairy and sugar. No diet drinks! That stuff is poison. Climbing up and down is one of the most gravity impacted sports in the world, second to maybe gymnastics. Be realistic with yourself, so that you don't hate climbing later because you couldn't do it this second.

I speak from experience. Feel free to email me and we'll have you climbing as soon as you drop 60 pounds. It can be your goal.

Jules

Prior to reading your post, I could not have imagined that such good intentions and bad advice could coexist in a single paragraph. First of all, who the fuck are you to tell someone what they will or will not find fun? Secondly, who the fuck are you to give nutrition and exercise advice? Your nutritional advice is idiotic, and your exercise advice no better than random. The only thing in your post that is entirely factual is that gravity is a force in climbing. Who knew?

Jay
And I was worried that I had worded my post too harshly ^.^


bearbreeder


Mar 14, 2012, 10:44 AM
Post #47 of 92 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [Rudmin] Reply: [nikilee93] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rudmin wrote:
Does anyone think that climbing will cause you to lose weight though? I mean it might give you motivation because it's easier to climb when you're lighter, but I think the only real exercise I get while climbing happens on the approach. Maybe speed climbing raelly long routes could get you sweating buckets, but for the most part climbing, especially at the gym is like doing short bursts of work with lots of rest.

ive know several people who go to the gym and have lost substantial weight ...

the problem is that like anything it takes monthsfor it to happen ... and dedication, not just a day a week

any exercise is better than none ... there are tons of people who "exercise" other ways but dont lose weight ... america would be a thinner place if it were easy


ceebo


Mar 14, 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #48 of 92 (2489 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 8, 2009
Posts: 862

Re: [jt512] Overweight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

On the fun part it's more likely you who needs to stfu jay. Go put 40lb vest on.. lets factor in your ability.. go attempt some f6b's. Come tell me if you still think its fun.


chadnsc


Mar 14, 2012, 12:39 PM
Post #49 of 92 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 24, 2003
Posts: 4449

Re: [ceebo] Overweight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
On the fun part it's more likely you who needs to stfu jay. Go put 40lb vest on.. lets factor in your ability.. go attempt some f6b's. Come tell me if you still think its fun.


So you're saying a heavy climber can't have fun?

Or are you saying that the lighter climber will always have more fun?

You of all people should know that things in climbing are relative. For example: I bet I weigh twice what you do and I have a blast climbing!

Ironically with all your negative posts you seem unable to enjoy climbing, or anythig for that matter.


ceebo


Mar 14, 2012, 1:55 PM
Post #50 of 92 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 8, 2009
Posts: 862

Re: [chadnsc] Overweight [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
ceebo wrote:
On the fun part it's more likely you who needs to stfu jay. Go put 40lb vest on.. lets factor in your ability.. go attempt some f6b's. Come tell me if you still think its fun.


So you're saying a heavy climber can't have fun?

Or are you saying that the lighter climber will always have more fun?

You of all people should know that things in climbing are relative. For example: I bet I weigh twice what you do and I have a blast climbing!

Ironically with all your negative posts you seem unable to enjoy climbing, or anythig for that matter.

Most new climbers percieve getting to the top being the only goal of climbing. Next on their mind is getting to the top on the hardest route possible. Fun for most of such climbers goes hnd in hnd with the success of above. they see a fall as complete failure.. not learning point. Also.. most new climbers percieve big chunky holds on a slab climb as nothing more than a silly warm up or something for kids/noobs (they sure as hell don't wanne be noobs, right?.. or worse still climb the kids routes).

Your avg new climber will not see past the fact that the above is complete fucking nonsence.

And, even if a climber in his shoes did see past all that then their is the self consious aspect. Most people around him will be swinging off roof climbs and so on like the morons usually do.. making things look ''cool'' and easy. Their will be kids flying up things he cant even get off the ground on.. etc etc. Again.. to a climber like us we know this means NOTHING.. and that he should ignore that bolix and continue at his own level making his own great gains. Can ou say for certain a new climber can jump all the above hurdles to have ''fun''?. Also, mny instructors don;'t have fking clue just how hrd it is for such a climber.. who lso m strugle with flexbility.

And this is not negitave. The things i say come first hand from climbers i have taught. It really is not easy for them to fully enjoy climbing itself. At lest not till they let go of the newb mentalitys.


(This post was edited by ceebo on Mar 14, 2012, 2:05 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook