Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All


bearbreeder


May 1, 2012, 12:05 PM
Post #76 of 296 (4873 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [NEGuiding] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

NEGuiding wrote:
Yes there is a difference between webbing and nylon slings.

I like being challenged, I'm a professional guide, it's my career, I own one of the largest guiding outfits in the Eastern US. This is what I do for a living.

Pics are hard to show what is exactly happening but I can show pics of cars too if you want haha! Because this thread is going nowhere.

Safety is my biggest concern and I educate climbers on a daily basis of innovative techniques. The most common are using static instead of webbing, tying that ridiculous and useless fishermans knot above your tie-in figure eight and people saying any helmet is good for climbing.

http://www.sterlingrope.com/...7/Webbing_and_Slings

in addition to the yates link i posted above ... you can basically see that for some sling sterling basically uses the same flat webbing they sell in bulk ...

guess you know better than yates and sterling Tongue


wonderwoman


May 1, 2012, 12:05 PM
Post #77 of 296 (4871 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2002
Posts: 4269

Re: [acorneau] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
NEGuiding wrote:
If any of you are in the North Carolina, New York, Connecticut or New Jersey area, call me up and I'll put you on one of our top rope course for FREE. Mention this post and the class is yours free of charge and I guarantee you'll have your eyes opened to new fully trusted methods. My job as a guide is to educate the climbing community and that's what I do.


I think EVERYBODY needs to take him up on his offer.

Wink

That would be cruel.


njrox


May 1, 2012, 12:07 PM
Post #78 of 296 (4857 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 12, 2011
Posts: 251

Re: [Gmburns2000] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
NEGuiding wrote:
Wonderwoman, why do you think static rope is the choice of guides nowadays? Because webbing isn't reliable. You ask NAY guide what they use for top rope set ups and their first choice will be just that, static rope. There's no discussion on that issue. Sadly the choice of static rope chooisng came about from webbing failures during climbing accidents. Just like closing a clove hitch is common practice now too. An accident happen, testing and studies were done and guiding organization came to common conclusions to resolve these problems and limit future accidents in the guiding industry. Eventually they will flow down into rock gyms and the recreational climbing community.

I'm not sure this is what guides use static rope these days. I'm not a guide, but I know a few. The reason I know they use them is because static rope tends to be easier to set up and break down quickly, which is a common necessity for guides at single-pitch crags.

Guides show up with discount-purchased or company-provided 150 foot Petzl Vector Static ropes. $$$$

Meanwhile, climbers are buying PMI-EZ bend at .80 a foot, by the foot. Of couse you're going to need to supplement the length with cord or webbing. Especially when relying on trees for anchors.


curt


May 1, 2012, 12:10 PM
Post #79 of 296 (4848 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18229

Re: [NEGuiding] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

NEGuiding wrote:
This is going nowhere, nice chatting with you and I wish you well.

I also wish you well. Hopefully, you will learn something today about posting baseless assertions in forums where things of that nature are questioned and critical rigor is encouraged.

...but somehow I doubt it. Cool

Curt


NEGuiding


May 1, 2012, 12:15 PM
Post #80 of 296 (4832 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 17, 2009
Posts: 48

Post deleted by NEGuiding [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  

 


NEGuiding


May 1, 2012, 12:18 PM
Post #81 of 296 (4817 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 17, 2009
Posts: 48

Re: [njrox] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Good point NJrox, money becomes an issue. Definitely more affordable but remember it's yours r anothers life on the line so should money be an issue? If you can't afford the proper gear to play outdoors then you shouldn't be doing it.


Gmburns2000


May 1, 2012, 12:27 PM
Post #82 of 296 (4789 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15136

Re: [njrox] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

njrox wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
NEGuiding wrote:
Wonderwoman, why do you think static rope is the choice of guides nowadays? Because webbing isn't reliable. You ask NAY guide what they use for top rope set ups and their first choice will be just that, static rope. There's no discussion on that issue. Sadly the choice of static rope chooisng came about from webbing failures during climbing accidents. Just like closing a clove hitch is common practice now too. An accident happen, testing and studies were done and guiding organization came to common conclusions to resolve these problems and limit future accidents in the guiding industry. Eventually they will flow down into rock gyms and the recreational climbing community.

I'm not sure this is what guides use static rope these days. I'm not a guide, but I know a few. The reason I know they use them is because static rope tends to be easier to set up and break down quickly, which is a common necessity for guides at single-pitch crags.

Guides show up with discount-purchased or company-provided 150 foot Petzl Vector Static ropes. $$$$

Meanwhile, climbers are buying PMI-EZ bend at .80 a foot, by the foot. Of couse you're going to need to supplement the length with cord or webbing. Especially when relying on trees for anchors.

that may be part of it as well, but they've all told me static was simply easier.


johnwesely


May 1, 2012, 12:27 PM
Post #83 of 296 (4786 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [wonderwoman] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
acorneau wrote:
NEGuiding wrote:
If any of you are in the North Carolina, New York, Connecticut or New Jersey area, call me up and I'll put you on one of our top rope course for FREE. Mention this post and the class is yours free of charge and I guarantee you'll have your eyes opened to new fully trusted methods. My job as a guide is to educate the climbing community and that's what I do.


I think EVERYBODY needs to take him up on his offer.

Wink

That would be cruel.

I actually considered it, but then I realized I have no desire to ever take a class on top roping.


johnwesely


May 1, 2012, 12:31 PM
Post #84 of 296 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [NEGuiding] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

NEGuiding wrote:
And ncrockclimber chimes in ;) I think I know who you are. Funny...I hear NEGuiding is taking about 80-90% of the NC clients out climbing and local egotistical guide services are struggling ;)

I guess you are talking about Fox Mountain Guides? If they only have 10% market share now, why have I heard of them and not you? Also, if you are rolling in the dough like you claim you are, how come you are not supporting local access groups like Fox does?


NEGuiding


May 1, 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #85 of 296 (4761 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 17, 2009
Posts: 48

Post deleted by NEGuiding [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

 


ncrockclimber


May 1, 2012, 12:36 PM
Post #86 of 296 (4757 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 6, 2006
Posts: 274

Re: [NEGuiding] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

NEGuiding wrote:
And ncrockclimber chimes in ;) I think I know who you are. Funny...I hear NEGuiding is taking about 80-90% of the NC clients out climbing and local egotistical guide services are struggling ;)

It is nice to see that you are ready to act like an ass to another professional without provocation. You just can't help digging your hole a little deeper.

Based on your comments above, you seem to think I am Adam of Fox Mountain Guides. I am not. I do, however, know him in passing and by reputation. I also know a few folks that have guided for him. Unlike you, his reputation for being a knowledgeable guide and proficient instructor is well know.

Lest you think I am being disingenuous, I post under NC Rock Climber here, on Super Topo and Mtn Project. I lived in NC from 2005 to 2011. I moved to Phoenix in May of last year. That info is in my MP profile. I have also referenced my move in a few of my MP posts where I have been asking a lot of noob questions about the AZ and Utah. I am not and never have been a guide in NC.

To put it another way, once again you prove that you don't know what you are taking about.


madscientist


May 1, 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #87 of 296 (4737 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2002
Posts: 159

Re: [wonderwoman] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The only "failures" I know of ones like the one John Sherman experienced.

http://www.supertopo.com/...9434&f=0&b=0

However, this was using a thin slings girth hitched together, and not the one inch tubular webbing used for top-rope setups. Before you go and panic about using dyneema, read the link I posted carefully. There are many things to consider.

I do believe that there was one more accident like the Sherman one, but I don't recall the specifics.

I also hope that NEGuiding is not using this sort of accident to make the blanket statement that webbing should not be used to set up top ropes.


marc801


May 1, 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #88 of 296 (4713 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2744

Re: [ncrockclimber] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ncrockclimber wrote:
It is nice to see that you are ready to act like an ass to another professional without provocation. You just can't help digging your hole a little deeper.
I thought NE Guiding sounded familiar. Those who are unaware might want to read this thread for some background perspective on the professionalism of this outfit.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rum.cgi?post=2154888


MFC


May 1, 2012, 12:48 PM
Post #89 of 296 (4707 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 17, 2010
Posts: 19

Re: [madscientist] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think the "biggest" problem of using webbing as top rope anchor material, is when it hangs over the edge of the cliff.

Webbing is not as cut resistant as static line.
Tom Moyer presented a paper at ITRS, "Qualifying a Rescue Rope."

In that paper he tested webbing vs. static line in various "cutting/abrasion" scenarios.

His paper can be viewed/downloaded at:
www.xmission.com/~tmoyer/testing


wonderwoman


May 1, 2012, 12:49 PM
Post #90 of 296 (4707 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2002
Posts: 4269

Re: [madscientist] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

madscientist wrote:
The only "failures" I know of ones like the one John Sherman experienced.

http://www.supertopo.com/...9434&f=0&b=0

Yes, I am aware of the issues, limits and controversies with dyneema. I agree that it is different than a top rope webbing failure.

madscientist wrote:
I also hope that NEGuiding is not using this sort of accident to make the blanket statement that webbing should not be used to set up top ropes.

In the previous thread regarding a top rope accident he had made a blanket statement about never using webbing to set up a top rope and to only use static rope.


5dGbpE8J


May 1, 2012, 12:57 PM
Post #91 of 296 (4676 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 1, 2011
Posts: 1

Re: [wonderwoman] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A bit off topic, but I've been wanting to get a static rope for top rope set ups. I took an anchor setting class and really liked that approach.

Would this be appropriate and any suggestion for a good length to get?

http://www.rei.com/product/472013/pmi-e-z-bend-sport-11mm-static-rope

Thanks.


madscientist


May 1, 2012, 12:59 PM
Post #92 of 296 (4669 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2002
Posts: 159

Re: [MFC] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

MFC wrote:
I think the "biggest" problem of using webbing as top rope anchor material, is when it hangs over the edge of the cliff.

Webbing is not as cut resistant as static line.
Tom Moyer presented a paper at ITRS, "Qualifying a Rescue Rope."

In that paper he tested webbing vs. static line in various "cutting/abrasion" scenarios.

His paper can be viewed/downloaded at:
www.xmission.com/~tmoyer/testing

That is an informative link, and might have saved some trouble earlier. Thanks for sharing. I am convinced that a good static rope is better, but not convinced that webbing is a death sentence.


NEGuiding


May 1, 2012, 1:01 PM
Post #93 of 296 (4657 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 17, 2009
Posts: 48

Re: [madscientist] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

madscientist wrote:
MFC wrote:
I think the "biggest" problem of using webbing as top rope anchor material, is when it hangs over the edge of the cliff.

Webbing is not as cut resistant as static line.
Tom Moyer presented a paper at ITRS, "Qualifying a Rescue Rope."

In that paper he tested webbing vs. static line in various "cutting/abrasion" scenarios.

His paper can be viewed/downloaded at:
www.xmission.com/~tmoyer/testing

That is an informative link, and might have saved some trouble earlier. Thanks for sharing. I am convinced that a good static rope is better, but not convinced that webbing is a death sentence.

I agree, great test on that and others too on his website.


bearbreeder


May 1, 2012, 1:05 PM
Post #94 of 296 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [MFC] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

many if not most TR setups dont run over an edge around here...

i still find it hilarious that the someone will use slings, but not webbing ... which manufacturers make their sewn slings out of (sterling, yates)

Wink


NEGuiding


May 1, 2012, 1:06 PM
Post #95 of 296 (4636 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 17, 2009
Posts: 48

Re: [5dGbpE8J] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

5dGbpE8J wrote:
A bit off topic, but I've been wanting to get a static rope for top rope set ups. I took an anchor setting class and really liked that approach.

Would this be appropriate and any suggestion for a good length to get?

http://www.rei.com/product/472013/pmi-e-z-bend-sport-11mm-static-rope

Thanks.
Glad to see you had a good instructor on your anchor building class. 50 feet is a nice length to build anchors at most top rope crags. 100 feet is always better but a little too much to carry I think. Our guides carry 60-80' of static on all top rope trips and courses.


jakedatc


May 1, 2012, 1:10 PM
Post #96 of 296 (4620 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 12, 2003
Posts: 11054

Re: [NEGuiding] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Just to throw out who we are talking to...
http://www.northeastmountainguiding.com/..._staff/joseph_vulpis



Nice of them to anchor clients in with non lockers



jakedatc


May 1, 2012, 1:16 PM
Post #97 of 296 (4595 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 12, 2003
Posts: 11054

Re: [NEGuiding] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

NEGuiding wrote:
Like I stated above, webbing dries out FAST when exposed to sunlight like it is when used in a top-rope set up all day or even just for a few hours which weakens it by drying it out. We've all seen this happen.

Bullshit. If that is so then a Rap anchors on trees across the country would be useless hours after they were put up.

AND you say you put webbing rap anchors on routes so in your opinion you are setting a trap for someone else?


NEGuiding


May 1, 2012, 1:18 PM
Post #98 of 296 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 17, 2009
Posts: 48

Re: [jakedatc] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's a fact on what UV rays do too webbing or any material for that matter haha! And I "replace" them on routes. But we're talking about a top-roping environment NOT a simple rappel anchor one might encounter on a route slung around a tree.

Thanks for the pic post too ;)


johnwesely


May 1, 2012, 1:21 PM
Post #99 of 296 (4580 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [NEGuiding] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

NEGuiding wrote:
Rather not mention any names, I respect the company you mentioned and no it's not them. We've only been in the NC area for a few months. And We don't support the only access org down here, the SECC because of the bolting issue they did at Crowders Mntn. Clearly shows their lack of knowledge and you can contact Petzl on that matter. The SECC put Petzl long life bolts into kyanite quartzite stone at Crowders, WRONG choice for that type of rock and Petzl sent us a letter confirming it that we showed to the state park service.

You are so well informed that you didn't know the acronym for the Southeastern Climbers Coalition was SCC, and you didn't even know about the Carolina's Climbers Coalition.


jakedatc


May 1, 2012, 1:22 PM
Post #100 of 296 (4575 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 12, 2003
Posts: 11054

Re: [NEGuiding] The webbing vs static rope tope rope set up debate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

NEGuiding wrote:
It's a fact on what UV rays do too webbing or any material for that matter haha! And I "replace" them on routes. But we're talking about a top-roping environment NOT a simple rappel anchor one might encounter on a route slung around a tree.

Thanks for the pic post too ;)

Yes, but if a TR anchor is weakened in one climbing session how is a sling put around a tree that is left out for weeks and months and used perhaps on a daily basis going to react?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$17.95 (10% off)
$39.15 (10% off)
$57.31 (10% off)
$12.56 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook