Forums: Community: The Soap Box:
The Gun Porn thread
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Soap Box

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All


scrapedape


Jun 13, 2012, 6:08 AM
Post #26 of 226 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 23, 2004
Posts: 2392

Re: [squierbypetzl] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
Got to fire an M14 this weekend. Fun to watch stuff explode (shoulder hurts a bit from several dozen 7.62 rounds though). I hear there's plenty of 'em around from WW2 days, and in fine shooting shape.

I understand adding a light and grip, maybe laser too, but won't a tricked out gun possibly give a wrong impression in front of a jury of your peers?

Isn't it a posst-WWII design?


squierbypetzl
Moderator

Jun 13, 2012, 9:51 AM
Post #27 of 226 (4502 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 6, 2005
Posts: 3431

Re: [scrapedape] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
squierbypetzl wrote:
Got to fire an M14 this weekend. Fun to watch stuff explode (shoulder hurts a bit from several dozen 7.62 rounds though). I hear there's plenty of 'em around from WW2 days, and in fine shooting shape.

I understand adding a light and grip, maybe laser too, but won't a tricked out gun possibly give a wrong impression in front of a jury of your peers?

Isn't it a posst-WWII design?

Is it? I dunno, I was just told the Army has stocks of 'em lying around from decades ago (pre-m16 days) and I figured it was from WW2.

Seems you were right; I was off by a good 15 years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M14_rifle

edit: Is it just me, or does somebody else's mind tend to go from WW2 straight to Vietnam, forgetting Korea?


(This post was edited by squierbypetzl on Jun 13, 2012, 9:52 AM)


chadnsc


Jun 13, 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #28 of 226 (4493 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 24, 2003
Posts: 4449

Re: [squierbypetzl] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The M1 Garand
Semi-auto fed by an eight round stripper clip that pops out of the top of the action when empty




M1A1:

A select fire automatic rifle fed by a 20 round detachable box mag. Modern versions of this rifle are still produced and used in the arm forces.




squierbypetzl
Moderator

Jun 13, 2012, 3:05 PM
Post #29 of 226 (4484 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 6, 2005
Posts: 3431

Re: [chadnsc] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Weren't full size standard issue battle rifles replaced by carbines and the m14 and subsequent smg's? Something about how they noticed the direct correlation between amount of ammo discharged and number of kills on the battlefield...

Haven't fired an M1. Yet anyway.

The Mexican army's std issue rifle is a piece of crap. I get that they want to have some autonomy and whatnot, but they seem like a waste of money and resources to me when compared to SCARS or HK/Colt rifles/carbines.


chadnsc


Jun 13, 2012, 6:16 PM
Post #30 of 226 (4466 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 24, 2003
Posts: 4449

Re: [squierbypetzl] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes full size battle rifles where replaced by smaller caliber carbines for standard troops.

However modern versions of M1A1 / M14 are still used by squad designated marksmen and portions of sniper units as a long range, highly accurate semi-auto weapons platform.

Of course in the past couple of years R&D has caught up with the battlefield and now several larger caliber (7.62mm, .308) semi auto rifles are being developed based on the AR 15 platform.


pinktricam


Jun 15, 2012, 6:03 AM
Post #31 of 226 (4445 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [squierbypetzl] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
I understand adding a light and grip, maybe laser too, but won't a tricked out gun possibly give a wrong impression in front of a jury of your peers?

I'd be thankful just to be alive and facing a jury, rather than the alternative.


pinktricam


Jun 15, 2012, 6:17 AM
Post #32 of 226 (4443 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [squierbypetzl] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My usual every day carry...



A Ruger LCP (.380) with a 6+1 capacity. Since this photo, I added a Crimson Trace laser sight that fits tightly under the barrel.


SylviaSmile


Jun 15, 2012, 6:59 AM
Post #33 of 226 (4441 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 3, 2011
Posts: 982

Re: [squierbypetzl] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
Got to fire an M14 this weekend. Fun to watch stuff explode (shoulder hurts a bit from several dozen 7.62 rounds though). I hear there's plenty of 'em around from WW2 days, and in fine shooting shape.

I understand adding a light and grip, maybe laser too, but won't a tricked out gun possibly give a wrong impression in front of a jury of your peers?

This. I am a bit amazed at people photographing and taking pictures of their weapons. I mean, I know you like them and all, but considering the current political climate is it really smart? Couldn't this entire thread (or at least the "My Pictures" folder on y'alls computers) be seized as evidence in the event something unfortunate went down?


squierbypetzl
Moderator

Jun 15, 2012, 7:41 AM
Post #34 of 226 (4435 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 6, 2005
Posts: 3431

Re: [pinktricam] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
squierbypetzl wrote:
I understand adding a light and grip, maybe laser too, but won't a tricked out gun possibly give a wrong impression in front of a jury of your peers?

I'd be thankful just to be alive and facing a jury, rather than the alternative.

The old adage about how it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six is a false dichotomy. Nobody's telling you not to accessorize your guns, and I totally get why many people like doing so (a well crafted gun is a mechanical and esthetic work of art), but think about the high likelyhood that your online history will be presented as evidence against you if you're ever tried for a crime.

From what I've read online, you seem like a responsible gunowner and not a man who's prone to physical violence. Why would you risk painting yourself in a negative light before the people in charge of deciding your fate? Yes it's hypothetical, but that's also why you carry a gun: for the hypothetical case in that you need to protect your life, right?


(This post was edited by squierbypetzl on Jun 15, 2012, 7:42 AM)


Partner macherry


Jun 15, 2012, 10:46 AM
Post #35 of 226 (4414 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 10, 2003
Posts: 15774

Re: [SylviaSmile] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
squierbypetzl wrote:
Got to fire an M14 this weekend. Fun to watch stuff explode (shoulder hurts a bit from several dozen 7.62 rounds though). I hear there's plenty of 'em around from WW2 days, and in fine shooting shape.

I understand adding a light and grip, maybe laser too, but won't a tricked out gun possibly give a wrong impression in front of a jury of your peers?

This. I am a bit amazed at people photographing and taking pictures of their weapons. I mean, I know you like them and all, but considering the current political climate is it really smart? Couldn't this entire thread (or at least the "My Pictures" folder on y'alls computers) be seized as evidence in the event something unfortunate went down?

they can't post up pictures of their penises


squierbypetzl
Moderator

Jun 15, 2012, 12:16 PM
Post #36 of 226 (4409 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 6, 2005
Posts: 3431

Re: [macherry] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
squierbypetzl wrote:
Got to fire an M14 this weekend. Fun to watch stuff explode (shoulder hurts a bit from several dozen 7.62 rounds though). I hear there's plenty of 'em around from WW2 days, and in fine shooting shape.

I understand adding a light and grip, maybe laser too, but won't a tricked out gun possibly give a wrong impression in front of a jury of your peers?

This. I am a bit amazed at people photographing and taking pictures of their weapons. I mean, I know you like them and all, but considering the current political climate is it really smart? Couldn't this entire thread (or at least the "My Pictures" folder on y'alls computers) be seized as evidence in the event something unfortunate went down?

they can't post up pictures of their penises

I see you're new to the internet. Wink


pinktricam


Jun 15, 2012, 2:47 PM
Post #37 of 226 (4396 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [squierbypetzl] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
macherry wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
squierbypetzl wrote:
Got to fire an M14 this weekend. Fun to watch stuff explode (shoulder hurts a bit from several dozen 7.62 rounds though). I hear there's plenty of 'em around from WW2 days, and in fine shooting shape.

I understand adding a light and grip, maybe laser too, but won't a tricked out gun possibly give a wrong impression in front of a jury of your peers?

This. I am a bit amazed at people photographing and taking pictures of their weapons. I mean, I know you like them and all, but considering the current political climate is it really smart? Couldn't this entire thread (or at least the "My Pictures" folder on y'alls computers) be seized as evidence in the event something unfortunate went down?

they can't post up pictures of their penises

I see you're new to the internet. Wink

Very original, too.


Partner j_ung


Jun 18, 2012, 6:05 PM
Post #38 of 226 (4326 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18687

Re: [pinktricam] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:


Haha! Dumbphone!


Traches


Jun 18, 2012, 6:54 PM
Post #39 of 226 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 26, 2012
Posts: 83

Re: [squierbypetzl] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
The old adage about how it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six is a false dichotomy. Nobody's telling you not to accessorize your guns, and I totally get why many people like doing so (a well crafted gun is a mechanical and esthetic work of art), but think about the high likelyhood that your online history will be presented as evidence against you if you're ever tried for a crime.

From what I've read online, you seem like a responsible gunowner and not a man who's prone to physical violence. Why would you risk painting yourself in a negative light before the people in charge of deciding your fate? Yes it's hypothetical, but that's also why you carry a gun: for the hypothetical case in that you need to protect your life, right?

Wouldn't that be circumstantial evidence, and therefore inadmissible?


pinktricam


Jun 19, 2012, 6:49 AM
Post #40 of 226 (4302 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [Traches] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Traches wrote:
squierbypetzl wrote:
The old adage about how it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six is a false dichotomy. Nobody's telling you not to accessorize your guns, and I totally get why many people like doing so (a well crafted gun is a mechanical and esthetic work of art), but think about the high likelyhood that your online history will be presented as evidence against you if you're ever tried for a crime.[y/b]

From what I've read online, you seem like a responsible gunowner and not a man who's prone to physical violence. Why would you risk painting yourself in a negative light before the people in charge of deciding your fate? Yes it's hypothetical, but that's also why you carry a gun: for the hypothetical case in that you need to protect your life, right?

Wouldn't that be circumstantial evidence, and therefore inadmissible?

No, that would be paranoia.


pinktricam


Jun 19, 2012, 6:52 AM
Post #41 of 226 (4300 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [j_ung] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
[image]http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/35211_454851456222_6823490_n.jpg[/image]

Haha! Dumbphone!

Heh...that's the old clamshell thrown in to provide some scale. The pic was taken with my Droid Bionic :)


scrapedape


Jun 19, 2012, 10:47 AM
Post #42 of 226 (4269 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 23, 2004
Posts: 2392

Re: [Traches] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Traches wrote:
squierbypetzl wrote:
The old adage about how it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six is a false dichotomy. Nobody's telling you not to accessorize your guns, and I totally get why many people like doing so (a well crafted gun is a mechanical and esthetic work of art), but think about the high likelyhood that your online history will be presented as evidence against you if you're ever tried for a crime.

From what I've read online, you seem like a responsible gunowner and not a man who's prone to physical violence. Why would you risk painting yourself in a negative light before the people in charge of deciding your fate? Yes it's hypothetical, but that's also why you carry a gun: for the hypothetical case in that you need to protect your life, right?

Wouldn't that be circumstantial evidence, and therefore inadmissible?

Since when is circumstantial evidence inadmissible?


squierbypetzl
Moderator

Jun 19, 2012, 1:11 PM
Post #43 of 226 (4251 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 6, 2005
Posts: 3431

Re: [scrapedape] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
Traches wrote:
squierbypetzl wrote:
The old adage about how it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six is a false dichotomy. Nobody's telling you not to accessorize your guns, and I totally get why many people like doing so (a well crafted gun is a mechanical and esthetic work of art), but think about the high likelyhood that your online history will be presented as evidence against you if you're ever tried for a crime.

From what I've read online, you seem like a responsible gunowner and not a man who's prone to physical violence. Why would you risk painting yourself in a negative light before the people in charge of deciding your fate? Yes it's hypothetical, but that's also why you carry a gun: for the hypothetical case in that you need to protect your life, right?

Wouldn't that be circumstantial evidence, and therefore inadmissible?

Since when is circumstantial evidence inadmissible?

Since every defendant had a good lawyer and every jury managed to get through the trial untainted.

Pink, it's like that cop who got arrested last year for excessive force; he was dumb enough to update his facebook the weekend prior with something like "watching Training Day to brush up on proper police procedures". Paranoia? Meh, depends on who you ask and who you are. You do live in a state that has the death penalty on the books, so you know, it's your call.


pinktricam


Jun 19, 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #44 of 226 (4228 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [chadnsc] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
I got to play with the new Sig M400 FDE in 5.56. Gotta' say I liked it!

Buy anything in 5.56 yet?

I have a SS Ruger Mini-14 that'll chamber that round just fine and it comes with lots of extras (Tapco tactical set-up, 30 & 20 round magazines and integral scope rings + the original walnut furniture.) I'm willing to part with it, too.

Message me if you're interested.


chadnsc


Jun 24, 2012, 4:58 PM
Post #45 of 226 (4126 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 24, 2003
Posts: 4449

Re: [pinktricam] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the offer Pinky. I'll have to think about it though as my wife may use it on me if I pick one up and the Remington 870 next week. Crazy

Hell I may not even buy the 870 since Duluth MN had major flooding (8+ inches of rain in under 12 hours) and declared an disaster zone. sinkholes bigger than cars, roads washed out, houses pushed downhill three blocks.

My neighbors and I are lucky though and our homes and property are all fine. Until we back from our road trip though we won't know for certain.


pinktricam


Jun 24, 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #46 of 226 (4117 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [chadnsc] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hadn't heard about that weather...sorry for your troubles.

Stay dry.

BTW, that wasn't really an "offer." It's just a matter of fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Mini-14

Wikipedia wrote:
The Mini-14 was first introduced in 1974 by Ruger. Mini-14 is derived from the military M14 rifle implying a miniature version of the M14. Ruger used the M14 as a model for the new rifle while incorporating numerous innovations and cost-saving engineering changes. The Mini-14 proved popular with small-game hunters, ranchers, law enforcement, security personnel and target shooters. Hollywood helped to drive the Mini-14's popularity by showcasing the stainless-steel folding stock Mini-14 in "The A-Team" TV Show.

Here are some piccies...







There will be some serious seller's remorse with this one
Frown


(This post was edited by pinktricam on Jun 27, 2012, 6:05 AM)


pinktricam


Jun 24, 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #47 of 226 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [SylviaSmile] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
squierbypetzl wrote:
Got to fire an M14 this weekend. Fun to watch stuff explode (shoulder hurts a bit from several dozen 7.62 rounds though). I hear there's plenty of 'em around from WW2 days, and in fine shooting shape.

I understand adding a light and grip, maybe laser too, but won't a tricked out gun possibly give a wrong impression in front of a jury of your peers?

This. I am a bit amazed at people photographing and taking pictures of their weapons. I mean, I know you like them and all, but considering the current political climate is it really smart? Couldn't this entire thread (or at least the "My Pictures" folder on y'alls computers) be seized as evidence in the event something unfortunate went down?

Which country did you say you're from, hon? Cali?


pinktricam


Jun 24, 2012, 11:11 PM
Post #48 of 226 (4111 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [chadnsc] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
Hell I may not even buy the 870.

This coming season, I'll post up some pics on this thread of some dove taken with my Remy 870 Express laying along side of the gunCool

That way you can enjoy the daily feast of your own heartTongue

It...will...happen....there will be no repeat of last fall/winter's crappy huntsUnsure


(This post was edited by pinktricam on Jun 24, 2012, 11:14 PM)


Partner rrrADAM


Jun 25, 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #49 of 226 (4071 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 19, 1999
Posts: 17543

Re: [pinktricam] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
Hadn't heard about that weather...sorry for your troubles.

Stay dry.

BTW, that wasn't really an "offer." It's just a matter of fact.

Here are some piccies...







There will be some serious seller's remorse with this one
Frown

I've wanted one of those for a long time now... And that one is particularly nice, pink.

You ghost ring appears to be twisted a bit though.


(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Jun 25, 2012, 12:38 PM)


pinktricam


Jun 25, 2012, 1:12 PM
Post #50 of 226 (4063 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [rrrADAM] The Gun Porn thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
I've wanted one of those for a long time now... And that one is particularly nice, pink.

You ghost ring appears to be twisted a bit though.

Must be lens distortion. Those sights are straight and are spot on out to 100+ yards.

Put $800 into my Paypal account, or send a M.O. with the address of your local FFL and I can have it to you in a matter of days :)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook