Forums: Community: The Soap Box:
Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Soap Box

Premier Sponsor:

 


scrapedape


Dec 18, 2012, 6:08 AM
Post #1 of 72 (3811 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 23, 2004
Posts: 2392

Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence?
Report this Post
Can't Post

PTC,
In the past, if I recall correctly, you've expressed an openness to some additional gun control. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I think you have mentioned closing the gun show loophole and enforcing laws that are already on the books.

I hear a lot about enforcing the laws that are already on the books, but can you tell us what laws, exactly, are on the books but are being inadequately enforced?

I'm genuinely interested.


gunkiemike


Dec 18, 2012, 3:36 PM
Post #2 of 72 (3770 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 1, 2002
Posts: 2263

Re: [scrapedape] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Based on what I just read, it sounds like the Rev. Mike Huckabee's solution to gun violence is to get god back into public schools in a major way. That's right, the religious right is saying that the CT massacre was a consequence of the move to recognize same sex marriage and the general swing toward a more secular world view in the US.


veganclimber


Dec 18, 2012, 3:57 PM
Post #3 of 72 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 17, 2005
Posts: 2775

Re: [gunkiemike] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
Based on what I just read, it sounds like the Rev. Mike Huckabee's solution to gun violence is to get god back into public schools in a major way. That's right, the religious right is saying that the CT massacre was a consequence of the move to recognize same sex marriage and the general swing toward a more secular world view in the US.

In his defense, he's just remembering those peaceful days when everybody pledged allegiance in school and went to church on Sunday. You know, back when murder rates were almost double what they are now.


Partner rrrADAM


Dec 19, 2012, 7:35 AM
Post #4 of 72 (3726 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 19, 1999
Posts: 17543

Re: [scrapedape] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Curious, well... Not really I guess... pinkie is silent on this, even when asked directly.


traddad


Dec 19, 2012, 9:32 AM
Post #5 of 72 (3714 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2001
Posts: 7129

Re: [rrrADAM] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
Curious, well... Not really I guess... pinkie is silent on this, even when asked directly.


Pinky doesn't WANT to reduce gun violence. That would make his arsenal obsolete.

...that and he's still waiting on his chance to go all Zimmerman up side someone's head.


camhead


Dec 19, 2012, 10:28 AM
Post #6 of 72 (3702 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20656

Re: [veganclimber] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:
gunkiemike wrote:
Based on what I just read, it sounds like the Rev. Mike Huckabee's solution to gun violence is to get god back into public schools in a major way. That's right, the religious right is saying that the CT massacre was a consequence of the move to recognize same sex marriage and the general swing toward a more secular world view in the US.

In his defense, he's just remembering those peaceful days when everybody pledged allegiance in school and went to church on Sunday. You know, back when murder rates were almost double what they are now.

Well, look at it comparatively: Europe has gradually moved away from God, and are much more secular than the US, and their gun violence rates are, oh, wait, no, nevermind.


Partner rrrADAM


Dec 19, 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #7 of 72 (3699 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 19, 1999
Posts: 17543

Re: [camhead] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
gunkiemike wrote:
Based on what I just read, it sounds like the Rev. Mike Huckabee's solution to gun violence is to get god back into public schools in a major way. That's right, the religious right is saying that the CT massacre was a consequence of the move to recognize same sex marriage and the general swing toward a more secular world view in the US.

In his defense, he's just remembering those peaceful days when everybody pledged allegiance in school and went to church on Sunday. You know, back when murder rates were almost double what they are now.

Well, look at it comparatively: Europe has gradually moved away from God, and are much more secular than the US, and their gun violence rates are, oh, wait, no, nevermind.


Which was also the point I made regarding the Czech Republic, as they have very lax gun laws even compared to us, all citizens can carry concealed if they choose, yet they have very low gun violence... They are also very secular when compared to the US.

It seems that gun-nuts and God often go together, and the results are pretty bad on occasion.


I have noticed that those "Obama loving Godless Liberals" in Connecticut and the North East [as per my many God Fearing Conservatives acquaintances here in the SouthEast during the Election cycle] seem very loving in the face of all this, and even talk about forgiveness of, and not hating, the gunman, where as my God Fearing Conservative friends down here very vocally ooze hate and relish in the fact that he will spend eternity burning and tormented in Hell.


(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Dec 19, 2012, 11:29 AM)


traddad


Dec 19, 2012, 1:55 PM
Post #8 of 72 (3665 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2001
Posts: 7129

Re: [rrrADAM] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A Florida man defended his decision to shoot an impatient pizza customer over the weekend, citing the state’s infamous “Stand Your Ground” law.

http://thinkprogress.org/...ichael-jock-shooter/


pinktricam


Dec 19, 2012, 8:47 PM
Post #9 of 72 (3634 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [rrrADAM] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
Curious, well... Not really I guess... pinkie is silent on this, even when asked directly.

Pinkie's busy working in the ED again.....I'll get around to it.


traddad


Dec 20, 2012, 4:45 AM
Post #10 of 72 (3613 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2001
Posts: 7129

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
Curious, well... Not really I guess... pinkie is silent on this, even when asked directly.

Pinkie's busy working in the ED again.....I'll get around to it.

Erectile Dysfunction? This explains a lot.


lena_chita
Moderator

Dec 20, 2012, 5:08 AM
Post #11 of 72 (3608 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5463

Re: [traddad] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
A Florida man defended his decision to shoot an impatient pizza customer over the weekend, citing the state’s infamous “Stand Your Ground” law.

http://thinkprogress.org/...ichael-jock-shooter/


Yeah, this is what most gun-lovers don't get. The same situation without guns-- they would have maybe punched each other.

And this often gets missed in the "guns for defense" arguments. Everyone is picturing " defense" as a " bad-guy-got-into-my-house-and-i-had-to-shoot-him-to-protect-my-babies", while in reality, the defense thing is most often employed when two guys, both with some petty criminal history, get into an argument, one of them shoves the other, and the second guy them pulls out a gun and shoots the first one, because he was attacked by the first guy.


Partner rrrADAM


Dec 20, 2012, 10:11 AM
Post #12 of 72 (3573 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 19, 1999
Posts: 17543

Re: [lena_chita] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
traddad wrote:
A Florida man defended his decision to shoot an impatient pizza customer over the weekend, citing the state’s infamous “Stand Your Ground” law.

http://thinkprogress.org/...ichael-jock-shooter/


Yeah, this is what most gun-lovers don't get. The same situation without guns-- they would have maybe punched each other.

And this often gets missed in the "guns for defense" arguments. Everyone is picturing " defense" as a " bad-guy-got-into-my-house-and-i-had-to-shoot-him-to-protect-my-babies", while in reality, the defense thing is most often employed when two guys, both with some petty criminal history, get into an argument, one of them shoves the other, and the second guy them pulls out a gun and shoots the first one, because he was attacked by the first guy.

Good point...

Punk kids hide behind the teacher when they lack the funds to cover a check they themselves wrote...
Punk adults hide behind guns when they lack the funds to cover a check they themselves wrote.

Seems long gone are the times when two people had a problem with each other, and they met down the road from school, or outside a bar, and settled it... Likely to shake hands at a later date. Now, people get their sensitive egos hurt, and have to get a weappon... To "stand their ground", as without the weapon, they are reduced to "running away".


NOTE - I've been stabbed, on two seperate occasions, 'standing my ground', and still I don't feel the need to cary my gun. The only time I carried my gun was during the LA Riots, when I was working up in LA at night.


(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Dec 20, 2012, 10:15 AM)


scrapedape


Dec 31, 2012, 5:12 PM
Post #13 of 72 (3435 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 23, 2004
Posts: 2392

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
Curious, well... Not really I guess... pinkie is silent on this, even when asked directly.

Pinkie's busy working in the ED again.....I'll get around to it.

PTC, hope you had a Merry Christmas. You're probably gearing up for a busy new years eve in the ER, but I would still love to hear your perspective on this.


pinktricam


Jan 8, 2013, 9:33 PM
Post #14 of 72 (3303 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [scrapedape] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
Curious, well... Not really I guess... pinkie is silent on this, even when asked directly.

Pinkie's busy working in the ED again.....I'll get around to it.

PTC, hope you had a Merry Christmas. You're probably gearing up for a busy new years eve in the ER, but I would still love to hear your perspective on this.

Thank you, I did have a nice Christmas and New Year. BTW, we don't call it an "ER" anymore on account that there are more rooms than just one. It actually is referred to as the ED now and no, it has nothing to do with traddads "little" problem either.

To begin to answer your query I'd like to just say that we need to start by doing away with these huge high capacity clips, yes these! :



Why, can you just imagine the trauma that would be eliminated?!? I mean, it would save countless individuals the potential of paper cuts each and every day if we'd just revert back to the smaller lower capacity clips we used in the old days!

I remember when I was in the restaurant business and had to prep all those lemon slices before my shift. Can you picture the potential agony from paper cuts that could have been avoided by using smaller capacity clips like that Frankenstein woman is advocating?!? Smaller clips=<paper=<trauma and anguish in this world.

Okay, that's the first step I'd take. I will give this dilemma we face some further consideration and get back to you with more constructive solutions. Because I know that here on this forum we can make a considerable difference towards solving the rampant crazy that's happening.

Looking forward to helping you and you helping me make this world a better place.


dr_feelgood


Jan 9, 2013, 8:39 AM
Post #15 of 72 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 6, 2004
Posts: 25628

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
scrapedape wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
Curious, well... Not really I guess... pinkie is silent on this, even when asked directly.

Pinkie's busy working in the ED again.....I'll get around to it.

PTC, hope you had a Merry Christmas. You're probably gearing up for a busy new years eve in the ER, but I would still love to hear your perspective on this.

Thank you, I did have a nice Christmas and New Year. BTW, we don't call it an "ER" anymore on account that there are more rooms than just one. It actually is referred to as the ED now and no, it has nothing to do with traddads "little" problem either.

To begin to answer your query I'd like to just say that we need to start by doing away with these huge high capacity clips, yes these! :

[img]http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/thumb/e/ea/Paperclip-2.jpg/251px-Paperclip-2.jpg[/img]

Why, can you just imagine the trauma that would be eliminated?!? I mean, it would save countless individuals the potential of paper cuts each and every day if we'd just revert back to the smaller lower capacity clips we used in the old days!

I remember when I was in the restaurant business and had to prep all those lemon slices before my shift. Can you picture the potential agony from paper cuts that could have been avoided by using smaller capacity clips like that Frankenstein woman is advocating?!? Smaller clips=<paper=<trauma and anguish in this world.

Okay, that's the first step I'd take. I will give this dilemma we face some further consideration and get back to you with more constructive solutions. Because I know that here on this forum we can make a considerable difference towards solving the rampant crazy that's happening.

Looking forward to helping you and you helping me make this world a better place.

So you don't really want to end gun violence.
Unsurprising.


traddad


Jan 9, 2013, 10:08 AM
Post #16 of 72 (3256 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2001
Posts: 7129

Re: [dr_feelgood] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
scrapedape wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
Curious, well... Not really I guess... pinkie is silent on this, even when asked directly.

Pinkie's busy working in the ED again.....I'll get around to it.

PTC, hope you had a Merry Christmas. You're probably gearing up for a busy new years eve in the ER, but I would still love to hear your perspective on this.

Thank you, I did have a nice Christmas and New Year. BTW, we don't call it an "ER" anymore on account that there are more rooms than just one. It actually is referred to as the ED now and no, it has nothing to do with traddads "little" problem either.

To begin to answer your query I'd like to just say that we need to start by doing away with these huge high capacity clips, yes these! :

[img]http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/thumb/e/ea/Paperclip-2.jpg/251px-Paperclip-2.jpg[/img]

Why, can you just imagine the trauma that would be eliminated?!? I mean, it would save countless individuals the potential of paper cuts each and every day if we'd just revert back to the smaller lower capacity clips we used in the old days!

I remember when I was in the restaurant business and had to prep all those lemon slices before my shift. Can you picture the potential agony from paper cuts that could have been avoided by using smaller capacity clips like that Frankenstein woman is advocating?!? Smaller clips=<paper=<trauma and anguish in this world.

Okay, that's the first step I'd take. I will give this dilemma we face some further consideration and get back to you with more constructive solutions. Because I know that here on this forum we can make a considerable difference towards solving the rampant crazy that's happening.

Looking forward to helping you and you helping me make this world a better place.

So you don't really want to end gun violence.
Unsurprising.

Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
[kneels]
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like
[sniffing, pondering]
Kilgore: victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
[suddenly walks off]

Pinky doesn't want gun violence to end.


iknowfear


Jan 9, 2013, 12:04 PM
Post #17 of 72 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 8, 2004
Posts: 633

Re: [traddad] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
scrapedape wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
Curious, well... Not really I guess... pinkie is silent on this, even when asked directly.

Pinkie's busy working in the ED again.....I'll get around to it.

PTC, hope you had a Merry Christmas. You're probably gearing up for a busy new years eve in the ER, but I would still love to hear your perspective on this.

Thank you, I did have a nice Christmas and New Year. BTW, we don't call it an "ER" anymore on account that there are more rooms than just one. It actually is referred to as the ED now and no, it has nothing to do with traddads "little" problem either.

To begin to answer your query I'd like to just say that we need to start by doing away with these huge high capacity clips, yes these! :

[img]http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/thumb/e/ea/Paperclip-2.jpg/251px-Paperclip-2.jpg[/img]

Why, can you just imagine the trauma that would be eliminated?!? I mean, it would save countless individuals the potential of paper cuts each and every day if we'd just revert back to the smaller lower capacity clips we used in the old days!

I remember when I was in the restaurant business and had to prep all those lemon slices before my shift. Can you picture the potential agony from paper cuts that could have been avoided by using smaller capacity clips like that Frankenstein woman is advocating?!? Smaller clips=<paper=<trauma and anguish in this world.

Okay, that's the first step I'd take. I will give this dilemma we face some further consideration and get back to you with more constructive solutions. Because I know that here on this forum we can make a considerable difference towards solving the rampant crazy that's happening.

Looking forward to helping you and you helping me make this world a better place.

So you don't really want to end gun violence.
Unsurprising.

Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
[kneels]
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like
[sniffing, pondering]
Kilgore: victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
[suddenly walks off]

Pinky doesn't want gun violence to end.

charly don't climb.


Allfred


Jan 11, 2013, 6:28 PM
Post #18 of 72 (3177 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 29, 2011
Posts: 418

Re: [scrapedape] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The only thing that stops a bad kid with a gun is a good kid with a gun!


pinktricam


Jan 13, 2013, 6:23 AM
Post #19 of 72 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [traddad] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
A Florida man defended his decision to shoot an impatient pizza customer over the weekend, citing the state’s infamous “Stand Your Ground” law.

http://thinkprogress.org/...ichael-jock-shooter/

Yes, that's gonna really work for him. Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

Using a news story like this as an example of how the law actually works is an example of how you are either ignorant, or wilfully obtuse.


Toast_in_the_Machine


Jan 18, 2013, 3:09 AM
Post #20 of 72 (3071 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 11, 2008
Posts: 5184

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
I'll get around to it.

Your lack of ability to add to the conversation combined with your inability to live up to your commitments is unfortunately predictable.

It is a shame. I really wish you were able to add something.


pinktricam


Jan 18, 2013, 4:49 AM
Post #21 of 72 (3067 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I see that patience is not your strong suit.

However, for the record, I'm in complete accord with BOs edict to make background checks mandatory even for private sales. Although, that'll do little to deter criminals from acting like criminals.


petsfed


Jan 18, 2013, 8:51 AM
Post #22 of 72 (3049 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 24, 2002
Posts: 8585

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its a round-about way to force a paper-trail (even though congress passed a law in the 80s specifically to prevent such a thing, because imaginary nazis or something). The vast majority of guns in this country got here legally, were sold legally, and are owned legally. Thus, the vast majority of guns used in crimes started out as legal guns. If you make it so those guns can be tracked, then fewer of them will end up in the hands of would-be criminals.


pinktricam


Jan 18, 2013, 1:05 PM
Post #23 of 72 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [petsfed] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a bit bizarre though....it's weird that an administration that illegally and purposefully allowed tens of thousands of the very firearms they're currently attempting to push bans on "walk" across the southern border and into the hands of dangerous and violent people is now imposing gun laws by edict...indeed, it's ironic.


(This post was edited by pinktricam on Jan 18, 2013, 1:08 PM)


petsfed


Jan 18, 2013, 8:03 PM
Post #24 of 72 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 24, 2002
Posts: 8585

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It should tell you something about our gun control laws that its easier to smuggle non-class III firearms *out* of the country than it is to simply ship banned weapons into a corrupt port in Mexico.

If criminals will get guns regardless, then why don't more people commit crimes with class III firearms? Because its still easier to get regular guns through quasi-legal channels than it is to get an AKM (or any number of machine pistols) into the country.


iknowfear


Jan 25, 2013, 5:31 AM
Post #25 of 72 (2874 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 8, 2004
Posts: 633

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
It's a bit bizarre though....it's weird that an administration that illegally and purposefully allowed tens of thousands of the very firearms they're currently attempting to push bans on "walk" across the southern border and into the hands of dangerous and violent people is now imposing gun laws by edict...indeed, it's ironic.

every american shot dead since newtown


pinktricam


Feb 1, 2013, 6:27 AM
Post #26 of 72 (1999 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [iknowfear] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iknowfear wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
It's a bit bizarre though....it's weird that an administration that illegally and purposefully allowed tens of thousands of the very firearms they're currently attempting to push bans on "walk" across the southern border and into the hands of dangerous and violent people is now imposing gun laws by edict...indeed, it's ironic.

every american shot dead since newtown

Pretty cool interactive site. Did you see Chicago's death by gun since Sandy hook count? Holy moly! And that's with some of the strictest gun laws in the nation! Curiously enough, most of those victims will be voting in the next general election.

Anyway, next Thursday, I'm going to an interesting event scheduled here in my neck of the woods. The speakers lined up appear to be an eclectic bunch representing both sides of the debate and I'm really looking forward to attending on the one day of an otherwise six days in a row I'm scheduled to work: http://www.scpaflorida.com/...-public-safety-forum


atg200


Feb 1, 2013, 7:36 AM
Post #27 of 72 (1991 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 27, 2001
Posts: 4317

Post deleted by atg200 [In reply to]
Report this Post

 


petsfed


Feb 1, 2013, 10:15 AM
Post #28 of 72 (1971 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 24, 2002
Posts: 8585

Re: [atg200] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

atg200 wrote:
Having strict gun laws helps, but it certainly isn't a panacea if there are places without strict gun laws next door.

THIS. Sweet Jesus THIS.

Gun laws aren't going to make a damn of difference in the first year or even decade. There's an awful lot of guns out there, and it will take a while for that to drain out. But the problem is the gun culture, and we're not going to change that if we keep insisting that mental issues only get flagged on a background check after you've already flipped out and been arrested.

I don't disagree that the only way to stop a mass murderer with a gun is somebody else with a gun. The issue is preventing a person from becoming a mass murderer in the first place. The "threat" of other people with guns just guarantees that the would-be mass murderer doesn't have to be strong enough to kill themselves after the fact. Since the plan often entails suicide-by-cop, if anything, we're making it easier on these nuts.


pinktricam


Feb 1, 2013, 3:41 PM
Post #29 of 72 (1956 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [petsfed] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How do you define "gun culture"?


curt


Feb 1, 2013, 4:10 PM
Post #30 of 72 (1951 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
How do you define "gun culture"?

Crazy people who think the 2nd amendment is the only part of the Constitution that matters.

Curt


david_g48


Feb 1, 2013, 4:53 PM
Post #31 of 72 (1943 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 19, 2005
Posts: 54

Re: [curt] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
How do you define "gun culture"?

Crazy people who think the 2nd amendment is the only part of the Constitution that matters.

Curt
I have been following the debate in the Senate and I have come to the conclusion that both sides are passionate about their view point and are unwilling to hear the other side with a truly open mind but, crazy 2nd amendment zealots with guns certainly would win the match against the unarmed intellects. Play nice out there and compromise using common sense or the lambs will be led to slaughter.
Sorry Curt I couldn't resist.


pinktricam


Feb 1, 2013, 5:50 PM
Post #32 of 72 (1937 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [david_g48] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Now here's an astute individual as well as one representing a more personal and informed viewpoint than curt's predictable knee-jerk response!

https://www.youtube.com/...youtube_gdata_player


curt


Feb 1, 2013, 6:41 PM
Post #33 of 72 (1926 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
Now here's an astute individual as well as one representing a more personal and informed viewpoint than curt's predictable knee-jerk response!

Translation: "Here is someone who agrees with me."

Curt


petsfed


Feb 1, 2013, 9:00 PM
Post #34 of 72 (1911 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 24, 2002
Posts: 8585

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
How do you define "gun culture"?

The movement within our culture that idolizes and reveres guns. If its just a tool, why aren't there entire video game genres that fetishize hammers?

While I disagree with the appropriate response to it, I agree that the sheer volume of violent, gun-heavy media is symptomatic of a greater problem. We've got gang bangers and accountants alike coming strapped. We, as a culture, have convinced ourselves that guns are status symbols, virility enhancers, accessories. Its like car culture, except that the killing power of a car is incidental to its symbolic role. The gun derives all of its symbolic power from its killing power.


pinktricam


Feb 4, 2013, 6:02 PM
Post #35 of 72 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [curt] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
Now here's an astute individual as well as one representing a more personal and informed viewpoint than curt's predictable knee-jerk response!

Translation: "Here is someone who agrees with me."

Curt

Face it curt, you really don't rank in "astute." Not on this subject, nor on the Constitution.

Here's yet another individual I agree with. A Sandy Hook dad, nonetheless...

https://www.youtube.com/...youtube_gdata_player


curt


Feb 4, 2013, 8:36 PM
Post #36 of 72 (1853 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
curt wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
Now here's an astute individual as well as one representing a more personal and informed viewpoint than curt's predictable knee-jerk response!

Translation: "Here is someone who agrees with me."

Curt

Face it curt, you really don't rank in "astute."

Pinky--our own little Dunning Kruger poster boy.

Curt


dr_feelgood


Feb 4, 2013, 9:01 PM
Post #37 of 72 (1846 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 6, 2004
Posts: 25628

Re: [curt] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
curt wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
Now here's an astute individual as well as one representing a more personal and informed viewpoint than curt's predictable knee-jerk response!

Translation: "Here is someone who agrees with me."

Curt

Face it curt, you really don't rank in "astute."

Pinky--our own little Dunning Kruger poster boy.

Curt
Now now, don't be using those big words. It confused the poor little guy.


pinktricam


Feb 4, 2013, 9:05 PM
Post #38 of 72 (1845 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [curt] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

*snap*

Oh wait, your menses...err, mensa, right?!?


(This post was edited by pinktricam on Feb 4, 2013, 9:15 PM)


Partner macherry


Feb 5, 2013, 6:49 AM
Post #39 of 72 (1823 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 10, 2003
Posts: 15774

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
*snap*

Oh wait, your menses...err, mensa, right?!?

really?


camhead


Feb 5, 2013, 7:16 AM
Post #40 of 72 (1821 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20656

Re: [macherry] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
*snap*

Oh wait, your menses...err, mensa, right?!?

really?

HAHAHAHAHA! You compared him to a woman! That was insulting! Vaginas are icky, frightening, and sometimes ooze blood, so that confuse me! Hey Curt, you're like a lowdown, weak, bleeding, slutty, undesirable, WOMAN!

pwned.


pinktricam


Feb 5, 2013, 10:11 AM
Post #41 of 72 (1808 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [camhead] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking of, here's Ted owning Piers "Musket" Morgan....

http://thegunwire.com/...n-debate-owned-2413/


curt


Feb 5, 2013, 11:10 AM
Post #42 of 72 (1804 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [camhead] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
macherry wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
*snap*

Oh wait, your menses...err, mensa, right?!?

really?

HAHAHAHAHA! You compared him to a woman! That was insulting! Vaginas are icky, frightening, and sometimes ooze blood, so that confuse me! Hey Curt, you're like a lowdown, weak, bleeding, slutty, undesirable, WOMAN!

pwned.

The ultraconservative nut-case world that pinky lives in is interesting in that intelligence is not only unvalued, it's actually contemptible.

Curt


pinktricam


Feb 5, 2013, 11:27 AM
Post #43 of 72 (1796 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [petsfed] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
How do you define "gun culture"?

The movement within our culture that idolizes and reveres guns. If its just a tool, why aren't there entire video game genres that fetishize hammers?

What, you don't remember this classic?!?




pinktricam


Feb 5, 2013, 11:30 AM
Post #44 of 72 (1793 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [curt] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
camhead wrote:
macherry wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
*snap*

Oh wait, your menses...err, mensa, right?!?

really?

HAHAHAHAHA! You compared him to a woman! That was insulting! Vaginas are icky, frightening, and sometimes ooze blood, so that confuse me! Hey Curt, you're like a lowdown, weak, bleeding, slutty, undesirable, WOMAN!

pwned.

The ultraconservative nut-case world that pinky lives in is interesting in that intelligence is not only unvalued, it's actually contemptible.

Curt

You have to actually have some in order to be found contemptible of it.


veganclimber


Feb 5, 2013, 11:36 AM
Post #45 of 72 (1791 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 17, 2005
Posts: 2775

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
Speaking of, here's Ted owning Piers "Musket" Morgan....

http://thegunwire.com/...n-debate-owned-2413/

I like the part about how wonderful the vast majority gun owners are, and how we should focus on the small percentage of nutbags that show dangerous, murderous intent. How many times do you have to be investigated by the Secret Service before you fall into that category?

By the way, just how long does Ted have until he's either dead or in prison? Did that clock start when he made those comments, on election night, or when Obama was sworn in?


pinktricam


Feb 5, 2013, 12:22 PM
Post #46 of 72 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [veganclimber] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
Speaking of, here's Ted owning Piers "Musket" Morgan....

http://thegunwire.com/...n-debate-owned-2413/

I like the part about how wonderful the vast majority gun owners are, and how we should focus on the small percentage of nutbags that show dangerous, murderous intent. How many times do you have to be investigated by the Secret Service before you fall into that category?

By the way, just how long does Ted have until he's either dead or in prison? Did that clock start when he made those comments, on election night, or when Obama was sworn in?

So, this is what it may come down to when criticizing the current administration, a "knock on your door," or worse?


dr_feelgood


Feb 5, 2013, 12:42 PM
Post #47 of 72 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 6, 2004
Posts: 25628

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
Speaking of, here's Ted owning Piers "Musket" Morgan....

http://thegunwire.com/...n-debate-owned-2413/

I like the part about how wonderful the vast majority gun owners are, and how we should focus on the small percentage of nutbags that show dangerous, murderous intent. How many times do you have to be investigated by the Secret Service before you fall into that category?

By the way, just how long does Ted have until he's either dead or in prison? Did that clock start when he made those comments, on election night, or when Obama was sworn in?

So, this is what it may come down to when criticizing the current administration, a "knock on your door," or worse?
Off to the FEMA camp with you!


pinktricam


Feb 5, 2013, 1:57 PM
Post #48 of 72 (1763 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [dr_feelgood] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Read this amusing bit today:"The White House has released a photo of Obama shooting a gun, warning people not to Photoshop it. Conservatives are like hey, it's already been Photoshopped -- by adding a gun." -Jodi Miller


veganclimber


Feb 5, 2013, 3:16 PM
Post #49 of 72 (1745 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 17, 2005
Posts: 2775

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
Read this amusing bit today:"The White House has released a photo of Obama shooting a gun, warning people not to Photoshop it. Conservatives are like hey, it's already been Photoshopped -- by adding a gun." -Jodi Miller

So you can't even accept reality when you have photographic evidence right in front of you. Why am I not surprised.


curt


Feb 5, 2013, 6:13 PM
Post #50 of 72 (1726 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [veganclimber] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
Read this amusing bit today:"The White House has released a photo of Obama shooting a gun, warning people not to Photoshop it. Conservatives are like hey, it's already been Photoshopped -- by adding a gun." -Jodi Miller

So you can't even accept reality when you have photographic evidence right in front of you. Why am I not surprised.

Conservatives consistently reject reality.

Curt


pinktricam


Feb 5, 2013, 6:21 PM
Post #51 of 72 (2727 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [curt] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, I laughed when I saw this one...




curt


Feb 5, 2013, 6:27 PM
Post #52 of 72 (2721 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
Okay, I laughed when I saw this one...


I'll give you that one. That is funny.

Curt


squierbypetzl
Moderator

Feb 5, 2013, 8:01 PM
Post #53 of 72 (2705 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 6, 2005
Posts: 3431

Re: [curt] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
Okay, I laughed when I saw this one...

[img]http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/c0.0.374.250/575398_478604782200837_1288440390_n.jpg[/img]

I'll give you that one. That is funny.

Curt

Looks like a good solid cheek weld, but I'm just a guy on the internet.


iknowfear


Feb 6, 2013, 12:28 AM
Post #54 of 72 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 8, 2004
Posts: 633

Re: [curt] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
Read this amusing bit today:"The White House has released a photo of Obama shooting a gun, warning people not to Photoshop it. Conservatives are like hey, it's already been Photoshopped -- by adding a gun." -Jodi Miller

So you can't even accept reality when you have photographic evidence right in front of you. Why am I not surprised.

Conservatives consistently reject reality.

Curt

CCRR - catchy


lena_chita
Moderator

Feb 7, 2013, 5:56 AM
Post #55 of 72 (2662 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5463

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And I thought of pinky when I read this one:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/...-penises-since-2010/


camhead


Feb 7, 2013, 6:18 AM
Post #56 of 72 (2661 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20656

Re: [lena_chita] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
And I thought of pinky when I read this one:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/...-penises-since-2010/

Yeah, but what does Pinkie need his penis for? He probably uses his appendix more.


pinktricam


Feb 7, 2013, 7:10 AM
Post #57 of 72 (2656 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [lena_chita] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
And I thought of pinky when I read this one:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/...-penises-since-2010/

lena_chita wrote:
And I thought of pinky when I read this one:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/...-penises-since-2010/

Thank you for your sincere concern. However, I keep any and all guns tucked inside my waistband within a holster with the trigger well protected from discharging a bullet accidentally. Also, with the exception of my .380, I'll only keep a round chambered when I compete, or when my Spidey sense is tingling.

So, though I am flattered, you can ease your pretty little mind and stop thinking about my larger than average and oft tumescent appendage.


camhead


Feb 7, 2013, 7:59 AM
Post #58 of 72 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20656

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
And I thought of pinky when I read this one:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/...-penises-since-2010/

lena_chita wrote:
And I thought of pinky when I read this one:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/...-penises-since-2010/

Thank you for your sincere concern. However, I keep any and all guns tucked inside my waistband within a holster with the trigger well protected from discharging a bullet accidentally. Also, with the exception of my .380, I'll only keep a round chambered when I compete, or when my Spidey sense is tingling.

So, though I am flattered, you can ease your pretty little mind and stop thinking about my larger than average and oft tumescent appendage.

You post dick pics on craigslist, don't you?


petsfed


Feb 7, 2013, 11:22 AM
Post #59 of 72 (2637 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 24, 2002
Posts: 8585

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
So, though I am flattered, you can ease your pretty little mind and stop thinking about my larger than average and oft tumescent appendage.

You motherfucker. I tend to visualize every thing I read, and now I have to spend the rest of the day drinking because of you.


carabiner96


Feb 7, 2013, 11:43 AM
Post #60 of 72 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 10, 2006
Posts: 12509

Re: [petsfed] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
So, though I am flattered, you can ease your pretty little mind and stop thinking about my larger than average and oft tumescent appendage.

You motherfucker. I tend to visualize every thing I read, and now I have to spend the rest of the day drinking because of you.
Drinking cognac and listening to smooth jazz?


pinktricam


Feb 7, 2013, 12:34 PM
Post #61 of 72 (2626 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [camhead] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
And I thought of pinky when I read this one:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/...-penises-since-2010/

lena_chita wrote:
And I thought of pinky when I read this one:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/...-penises-since-2010/

Thank you for your sincere concern. However, I keep any and all guns tucked inside my waistband within a holster with the trigger well protected from discharging a bullet accidentally. Also, with the exception of my .380, I'll only keep a round chambered when I compete, or when my Spidey sense is tingling.

So, though I am flattered, you can ease your pretty little mind and stop thinking about my larger than average and oft tumescent appendage.

You post dick pics on craigslist, don't you?

I'm bigger than that.


Partner rrrADAM


Feb 7, 2013, 1:12 PM
Post #62 of 72 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 19, 1999
Posts: 17543

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
How do you define "gun culture"?

See "Gun Porn" thread...

Now, I'm sure that makes no sense to you, since you have no desire to understand anything other than your own point of view.


EDIT - After some thought, I realize that the "Gun Porn" thread is more likely to be appreciated by a "Gun Nut"... A much more zealous and extreme product of a "Gun Culture".


(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Feb 7, 2013, 1:57 PM)


pinktricam


Feb 7, 2013, 1:16 PM
Post #63 of 72 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [carabiner96] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
petsfed wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
So, though I am flattered, you can ease your pretty little mind and stop thinking about my larger than average and oft tumescent appendage.

You motherfucker. I tend to visualize every thing I read, and now I have to spend the rest of the day drinking because of you.
Drinking cognac and listening to smooth jazz?

Nothin' like a little Gato and a French Whore in a snifter to set the mood, biner.


Partner rrrADAM


Feb 7, 2013, 1:18 PM
Post #64 of 72 (2613 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 19, 1999
Posts: 17543

Re: [camhead] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
And I thought of pinky when I read this one:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/...-penises-since-2010/

Yeah, but what does Pinkie need his penis for? He probably uses his appendix more.

Thanx, Paul... This reply got me in a bit of trouble, as I burst out laughing here at work.


camhead


Feb 7, 2013, 2:13 PM
Post #65 of 72 (2599 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20656

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
camhead wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
And I thought of pinky when I read this one:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/...-penises-since-2010/

lena_chita wrote:
And I thought of pinky when I read this one:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/...-penises-since-2010/

Thank you for your sincere concern. However, I keep any and all guns tucked inside my waistband within a holster with the trigger well protected from discharging a bullet accidentally. Also, with the exception of my .380, I'll only keep a round chambered when I compete, or when my Spidey sense is tingling.

So, though I am flattered, you can ease your pretty little mind and stop thinking about my larger than average and oft tumescent appendage.

You post dick pics on craigslist, don't you?

I'm bigger than that.

ok, Christian conservative or not, THAT was funny.


Toast_in_the_Machine


Feb 9, 2013, 2:14 PM
Post #66 of 72 (2560 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 11, 2008
Posts: 5184

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
I see that patience is not your strong suit.

However, for the record, I'm in complete accord with BOs edict to make background checks mandatory even for private sales. Although, that'll do little to deter criminals from acting like criminals.

I am exceedingly patient and that is tinged with a petty sense of vengeance. Your continued lack of contribution is not unsurprising.

Unless there is some evidence of an original thought on how to reduce gun violence I will assume that you are only capable of parroting others thoughts and that until Fox News Corp blesses a message of how to reduce gun control you won't reply.


squierbypetzl
Moderator

Feb 9, 2013, 4:55 PM
Post #67 of 72 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 6, 2005
Posts: 3431

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I´ll contribute an idea, then: make mental health a national priority.

Remove the stigma attached to seeking psychological and psychiatric help. Make said help more readily available, while keep the pharmaceutical industry out of it (as much as possible). Shift the focus on domestic violence from the current criminal-law-centric view to a therapeutic, rehabilitative vision.

And, of course, de-glorify reckless use of firearms, violence and a criminal lifestyle in the media.


lena_chita
Moderator

Feb 10, 2013, 6:23 AM
Post #68 of 72 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5463

Re: [squierbypetzl] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
I´ll contribute an idea, then: make mental health a national priority.

Remove the stigma attached to seeking psychological and psychiatric help. Make said help more readily available, while keep the pharmaceutical industry out of it (as much as possible). Shift the focus on domestic violence from the current criminal-law-centric view to a therapeutic, rehabilitative vision.

Sounds good, but even if you remove the stigma, you have to deal with insurance realities. I am lucky to have pretty good insurance, as far as insurance policies in the US go. It covers a lot of things, Physical Therapy, Mental health, etc.

BUT there are 30 PT visits per year, yet only 20 Mental Health. And there is a lifetime limit on Mental health, but not on PT.

Yet, unlike PT that we only need occasionally, when we get injured, Mental Health issues are usually something that is not going to be "cured", with pharmaceuticals, or without. It needs lifetime of support.

Add to it the fact that most people with mental health issues are probably not going to hold a kind of job that i have, that provides good insurance. And add to it the fact that even for someone like me, who is not exactly counting every penny, the co-pays for medical visits can add up quite quickly, and the MH co-pays are higher than regular doctor visits.

Add to it the tangle of personal freedom and right to privacy, vs. trying to get treatment for someone who doesn't want to get treated... (have you ever tried? I had tried to get help for a friend several years ago. It is impossible!)

And what you get is that adequate medical support for Mental Health issues is pretty much impossible for anyone with severe long-term issues under current healthcare system.

Reform that? Sure, I'm all for it... not going it happen.


SylviaSmile


Feb 10, 2013, 5:48 PM
Post #69 of 72 (2492 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 3, 2011
Posts: 982

Re: [lena_chita] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
squierbypetzl wrote:
I´ll contribute an idea, then: make mental health a national priority.

Remove the stigma attached to seeking psychological and psychiatric help. Make said help more readily available, while keep the pharmaceutical industry out of it (as much as possible). Shift the focus on domestic violence from the current criminal-law-centric view to a therapeutic, rehabilitative vision.

Sounds good, but even if you remove the stigma, you have to deal with insurance realities. I am lucky to have pretty good insurance, as far as insurance policies in the US go. It covers a lot of things, Physical Therapy, Mental health, etc.

BUT there are 30 PT visits per year, yet only 20 Mental Health. And there is a lifetime limit on Mental health, but not on PT.

Yet, unlike PT that we only need occasionally, when we get injured, Mental Health issues are usually something that is not going to be "cured", with pharmaceuticals, or without. It needs lifetime of support.

Add to it the fact that most people with mental health issues are probably not going to hold a kind of job that i have, that provides good insurance. And add to it the fact that even for someone like me, who is not exactly counting every penny, the co-pays for medical visits can add up quite quickly, and the MH co-pays are higher than regular doctor visits.

Add to it the tangle of personal freedom and right to privacy, vs. trying to get treatment for someone who doesn't want to get treated... (have you ever tried? I had tried to get help for a friend several years ago. It is impossible!)

And what you get is that adequate medical support for Mental Health issues is pretty much impossible for anyone with severe long-term issues under current healthcare system.

Reform that? Sure, I'm all for it... not going it happen.

It has to happen--and I think it has to happen through outside-the-box solutions. The health care system in this country, it has been noted, is less than ideal. For that reason, I think mental health has to be located outside of this system. There need to be high-quality, low-cost, local mental health clinics. These can be paid for by an increase in local state or locality taxes. I personally hate state income tax, but if we need to have it to pay for these life-and-death services, then I think state budgets need to really look at that option.


Partner rrrADAM


Feb 13, 2013, 11:04 AM
Post #70 of 72 (2421 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 19, 1999
Posts: 17543

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
. . . you are only capable of parroting others thoughts . . .

And, he is often too lazy to do even that, and merely posts a link to another who is 'like minded' (not sure if minded is the right word for pink though).


(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Feb 13, 2013, 11:04 AM)


Toast_in_the_Machine


Mar 21, 2013, 11:21 AM
Post #71 of 72 (2189 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 11, 2008
Posts: 5184

Re: [pinktricam] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
Curious, well... Not really I guess... pinkie is silent on this, even when asked directly.

Pinkie's busy working in the ED again.....I'll get around to it.

Liar


Partner rrrADAM


Mar 28, 2013, 8:00 AM
Post #72 of 72 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 19, 1999
Posts: 17543

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Hey Pinky: how would you reduce gun violence? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
Curious, well... Not really I guess... pinkie is silent on this, even when asked directly.

Pinkie's busy working in the ED again.....I'll get around to it.

Liar

Just predictable... It's been his MO his entire time on this site... For years now.

'Tis his nature to have strong views that he cannot reasonable articulate when pressed. Just quips often mined from other blowhards.


Forums : Community : The Soap Box

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook