Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Sport Climbing:
Gri Gri failures
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All


kobaz


Sep 20, 2009, 10:39 AM
Post #51 of 81 (4067 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 19, 2004
Posts: 717

Re: [kobaz] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

And the larger issue is I guess... is that the management was kinda blazé about it.


adatesman


Sep 20, 2009, 10:45 AM
Post #52 of 81 (4065 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Posts: 3479

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

 


kobaz


Sep 20, 2009, 10:48 AM
Post #53 of 81 (4063 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 19, 2004
Posts: 717

Re: [adatesman] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Excellent article... Thanks!

Oh... Hey... where in PA are you? I've recently moved to smack in the middle between Altoona and State College.


(This post was edited by kobaz on Sep 20, 2009, 10:49 AM)


potreroed


Sep 20, 2009, 2:11 PM
Post #54 of 81 (4036 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2001
Posts: 1440

Re: [robgordon] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

[quote "robgordon"]am i the only one here that likes a dynamic belay?

occasionally i take big ol' leader falls.
i like a soft catch.

grigri's are awesome if you enjoy being short-roped and don't ever need to rapp on two ropes.

asdf[/quote]

Being short-roped = belayer error.

You can use a gri-gri with a 2 rope rappel, you just need to set it up a little bit differently.


shockabuku


Sep 20, 2009, 2:42 PM
Post #55 of 81 (4032 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4850

Re: [potreroed] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
robgordon wrote:
am i the only one here that likes a dynamic belay?

occasionally i take big ol' leader falls.
i like a soft catch.

grigri's are awesome if you enjoy being short-roped and don't ever need to rapp on two ropes.

asdf

Being short-roped = belayer error.

You can use a gri-gri with a 2 rope rappel, you just need to set it up a little bit differently.

robgordon hasn't logged on in over a year and the post you were replying to is over 5 years old.


(This post was edited by shockabuku on Sep 20, 2009, 2:43 PM)


adatesman


Sep 20, 2009, 4:15 PM
Post #56 of 81 (4015 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Posts: 3479

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

 


lar24


Sep 20, 2009, 5:46 PM
Post #57 of 81 (3991 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 11, 2009
Posts: 1

Re: [adatesman] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've never seen a GriGri fail. These posts got me curious as to how a GriGri (or an ATC for that matter) could fail, so I checked out the website and found a video about GriGri techniques.

If you have any questions or doubts, give it a watch:
http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/belay-devices/grigri

Otherwise, I'd say it's a useful and safe device so long as the belayer uses it properly.


healyje


Sep 21, 2009, 1:09 AM
Post #58 of 81 (3938 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 22, 2004
Posts: 4196

Re: [kobaz] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Pretty much just the existence of the term "autolock" is the problem. Product documentation and design specifics seem unable to conquer this myth. And that shouldn't be a surprise given its locking capability has been a real behind-the-scenes driver of sport climbing since its introduction. It is inherently a functionally 'gray' device by design - locking reliably, but autolocking only incidentally. The problem is it does autolock a high enough percentage of the time that, for all practical purposes, that has become the enduring mass perception of its functionality.

And in reality, the principal use of the device, and the reason for its overwhelming popularity isn't belaying, but rather hanging, and hanging in a way that shifts responsibility for 'locking-off' from the belayer to the device. Shift that locking-off responisibility often enough and, humans being human, it should come as no surprise that most people expect the device to also initiate that locking, and therein lies the sad tale of the numerous edge cases we read about where it doesn't, thereby catching the 'belayer' by surprise. When using a grigri you have to realize that only you are responsible for intitiating locking - you're the belayer, not a belay attendant.

In some ways it's a patterned behavior/addiction from my perspective and the moral is: grigris work fine, just don't expect them to do 100% of your job even 1% of the time.


(This post was edited by healyje on Sep 22, 2009, 12:56 AM)


jeepnphreak


Sep 28, 2009, 9:51 AM
Post #59 of 81 (3845 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 28, 2008
Posts: 1259

Re: [chodeman] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My gri gri story. I have ever once had a grigri perform...under par.
two seasons ago my wife and I found a 11b to try out for the first time. There was a walk on/off, I set up the top rope and rapped off.
While I trying to fugure out the crux move my foot sliped and fell. about 5/6 feet...
I was a bit shocked as to how I could go that far and a top rope evan with rop stretch, I like a loose bely but still.
so that night I took a close look at the grigri and noticed that its cam was really sticky and stiff. It had goten gunked up from the fine silts that are at the base the the lime stone cliffs.
I cleaned the grigri up and put a dab of cam lube on the cam. twice a season I clean the rope feeding track out and I have not yet had any troubles with it since.


shockabuku


Sep 28, 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #60 of 81 (3831 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4850

Re: [jeepnphreak] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jeepnphreak wrote:
My gri gri story. I have ever once had a grigri perform...under par.
two seasons ago my wife and I found a 11b to try out for the first time. There was a walk on/off, I set up the top rope and rapped off.
While I trying to fugure out the crux move my foot sliped and fell. about 5/6 feet...
I was a bit shocked as to how I could go that far and a top rope evan with rop stretch, I like a loose bely but still.
so that night I took a close look at the grigri and noticed that its cam was really sticky and stiff. It had goten gunked up from the fine silts that are at the base the the lime stone cliffs.
I cleaned the grigri up and put a dab of cam lube on the cam. twice a season I clean the rope feeding track out and I have not yet had any troubles with it since.

You should really edit that into intelligible English (or even some other language) before you let anyone else try to read it.


saint_john


Nov 27, 2012, 8:28 AM
Post #61 of 81 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 4, 2010
Posts: 494

Re: [shockabuku] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

If used properly Gri Gris don't fail. Neither do ATCs.

Belayers fail when they use those devices improperly. Climbers fail when they climb with incompetent belayers.

I can't think of any situation when a belay device, in proper condion and being used in the manner it was designed for, would fail. It's up to the user to educate themselves on proper technique.


abrock5


Nov 27, 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #62 of 81 (3241 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 22, 2011
Posts: 24

Re: [saint_john] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You resurrected a thread that was over 3 years old...


shockabuku


Nov 27, 2012, 8:07 PM
Post #63 of 81 (3174 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4850

Re: [abrock5] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

abrock5 wrote:
You resurrected a thread that was over 3 years old...

You are clearly mistaken.


fusionbjj


Jan 29, 2013, 2:24 PM
Post #64 of 81 (2859 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 23, 2010
Posts: 5

Re: [mach_y] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

[quote "mach_y"]Recently I was outdoors and a friend could not finish the top of a 10d (just burned out), so I offered to finish the top (I'd only led a 5.7 at that point, but can climb 10+ on TR) as I was not worried about a ground fall being top roped almost the entire way. My wife had me on belay, and I didn't realize she put me on a gri-gri (she's been climbing longer than I too). When I went for the final move (about 5 feet above the last draw), she didn't give any slack (harder to do with a Gri-gri), she pulled me off the wall. Instead of falling 10 feet plus rope stretch, when she braked, the rope went over the handle release of the gri-gri and kept it open. By the time she realized this and fixed it, I fell nearly 30 feet (my first lead fall, ahh!). I didn't deck, but it certainly gave me quite the scare (her too).

Lesson learned for us: we leave the gri-gri at home and only use it for indoor climbing.[/quote]

Your wife lied about what happened. What you described borders on the impossible. The much more likely scenario is she screwed up somehow, most likely by clamping down on the device with her hand in a moment of panic and kept it from locking up. She was afraid to tell you the truth, or possibly in the way that only women can, convinced herself whatever happened wasn't her fault and made up that scenario in her head.


petsfed


Jan 29, 2013, 2:56 PM
Post #65 of 81 (2835 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 24, 2002
Posts: 8585

Re: [fusionbjj] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

fusionbjj wrote:
mach_y wrote:
Recently I was outdoors and a friend could not finish the top of a 10d (just burned out), so I offered to finish the top (I'd only led a 5.7 at that point, but can climb 10+ on TR) as I was not worried about a ground fall being top roped almost the entire way. My wife had me on belay, and I didn't realize she put me on a gri-gri (she's been climbing longer than I too). When I went for the final move (about 5 feet above the last draw), she didn't give any slack (harder to do with a Gri-gri), she pulled me off the wall. Instead of falling 10 feet plus rope stretch, when she braked, the rope went over the handle release of the gri-gri and kept it open. By the time she realized this and fixed it, I fell nearly 30 feet (my first lead fall, ahh!). I didn't deck, but it certainly gave me quite the scare (her too).

Lesson learned for us: we leave the gri-gri at home and only use it for indoor climbing.

Your wife lied about what happened. What you described borders on the impossible. The much more likely scenario is she screwed up somehow, most likely by clamping down on the device with her hand in a moment of panic and kept it from locking up. She was afraid to tell you the truth, or possibly in the way that only women can, convinced herself whatever happened wasn't her fault and made up that scenario in her head.

1) cheesetits
2) zombie thread hungers for BRAINS!
3) the scenario described is possible, provided the belayer has no idea what they are doing with a gri-gri for a leader. The gri-gri has a designated chirality to it, and trying to use the wrong hand for the designated brake hand can and will interfere with the safe operation of the device
4) holy implied misogyny batman!


viciado


Jan 30, 2013, 3:25 AM
Post #66 of 81 (2752 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 9, 2003
Posts: 407

Re: [petsfed] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
...snip...
1) cheesetits
2) zombie thread hungers for BRAINS!
3) the scenario described is possible, provided the belayer has no idea what they are doing with a gri-gri for a leader. The gri-gri has a designated chirality to it, and trying to use the wrong hand for the designated brake hand can and will interfere with the safe operation of the device
4) holy implied misogyny batman!

+1 on that... and your sig is highly appropriate.


Kartessa


Jan 30, 2013, 9:01 AM
Post #67 of 81 (2703 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7356

Re: [fusionbjj] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Maybe her breasts were getting in the way of her brain.

Happens to me all the time.


petsfed


Jan 30, 2013, 5:18 PM
Post #68 of 81 (2664 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 24, 2002
Posts: 8585

Re: [Kartessa] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Maybe her breasts were getting in the way of her brain.

Happens to me all the time.

I... but... you...



Man, I don't understand women at all.


notapplicable


Jan 30, 2013, 6:01 PM
Post #69 of 81 (2658 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17752

Re: [petsfed] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Maybe her breasts were getting in the way of her brain.

Happens to me all the time.

I... but... you...



Man, I don't understand women at all.

I believe that is part of their plan.


SylviaSmile


Jan 30, 2013, 11:00 PM
Post #70 of 81 (2630 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 3, 2011
Posts: 982

Re: [notapplicable] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
petsfed wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Maybe her breasts were getting in the way of her brain.

Happens to me all the time.

I... but... you...



Man, I don't understand women at all.

I believe that is part of their plan.

Yes, it is like when people driving refuse to use their turn signals because they do not want to lose the element of surprise!


healyje


Jan 30, 2013, 11:08 PM
Post #71 of 81 (2627 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 22, 2004
Posts: 4196

Re: [SylviaSmile] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You guys do know that 'GriGri' means 'Poodle' in French, right?


SylviaSmile


Jan 30, 2013, 11:12 PM
Post #72 of 81 (2619 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 3, 2011
Posts: 982

Re: [healyje] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I don't and I think you made that up!


Gmburns2000


Jan 31, 2013, 2:46 AM
Post #73 of 81 (2598 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15018

Re: [SylviaSmile] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
petsfed wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Maybe her breasts were getting in the way of her brain.

Happens to me all the time.

I... but... you...



Man, I don't understand women at all.

I believe that is part of their plan.

Yes, it is like when people driving refuse to use their turn signals because they do not want to lose the element of surprise!

In Boston people don't like giving information to the enemy.


viciado


Jan 31, 2013, 7:06 AM
Post #74 of 81 (2575 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 9, 2003
Posts: 407

Re: [healyje] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's more like "talisman".

But I bet a poodle would make better pro.


Kartessa


Jan 31, 2013, 7:07 AM
Post #75 of 81 (2575 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7356

Re: [healyje] Gri Gri failures [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
You guys do know that 'GriGri' means 'Poodle' in French, right?

I thought it meant "Cigarette"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook