Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Announcements:
Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Announcements

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 Next page Last page  View All


jt512


Nov 4, 2013, 11:54 AM
Post #51 of 430 (2982 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21892

Re: [happiegrrrl] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
Remember when the servers were so sluggish and bogged down that it was nearly futile to navigate the site, and often it was down completely? To me, that was the first obvious move away in numbers, and that was before DDT and Sangiro bought the site.

When DDT came on, the repair on servers was appreciated, but momentum had been lost.

That's a good point. I had forgotten that the site had become essentially unusable due to server problems, which DDT promptly fixed. My recollection is that a large number of regular users were disgruntled with the direction the site took when DDT took it over, and left the site soon after. But I could be mistaken. Maybe somebody will dig up the site traffic history statistics that have been posted.


Partner happiegrrrl


Nov 4, 2013, 11:57 AM
Post #52 of 430 (2980 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 25, 2004
Posts: 4617

Re: [jt512] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Maybe somebody will dig up the site traffic history statistics that have been posted.

well, maybe somebody will, but I think in the meanwhile we can have a little fun "looking" at the Ghost of RC Past through the WayBack Machine:
http://web.archive.org/...p://rockclimbing.com


Partner macherry


Nov 4, 2013, 12:20 PM
Post #53 of 430 (2964 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 10, 2003
Posts: 15808

Re: [adatesman] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
macherry wrote:
they always come back (TM)

Funniest part is that is actually quoting Lena_chita from my FB feed. Tongue

But, yes. I'm a recovering RC addict. Hopes are up given the ownership change, but I'm withholding judgement until I see what direction Jeff takes.




Btw- Who's 1-starring my posts? Seriously, it's been *years*, and USNavy and I have long since buried the hatchet and might even consider each other *friends*. So it's not him. Is there someone else needing a hug?


lena stole that from me. trademarked it years ago!!Wink


adatesman


Nov 4, 2013, 12:44 PM
Post #54 of 430 (2952 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Posts: 3479

Re: [macherry] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
lena stole that from me. trademarked it years ago!!Wink


Laugh



Ah, good times!


Seriously though, this is not helping my RC addiction. I'd been clean since popping in to say congrats to Lena on getting mod-ship.

Ugh... If Magnus were to chime in I'd surely fall off the wagon.


Partner angry


Nov 4, 2013, 12:48 PM
Post #55 of 430 (2949 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 21, 2003
Posts: 8405

Re: [macherry] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

I honestly don't see a way to save this site. It is a tarnished brand and a joke. What's more, it does not have a single reason to visit other than the forums.

Forums are essentially bathroom stall walls. People will write bullshit just to see their own bullshit. I'm as guilty as anyone. Not everyone wants to see that. Look at MP.com, I know very few people who post there yet nearly everyone I've met uses the site. What reason does anyone have to use this site if not to post?

Finally, if you do want to save the site, lets be perfectly clear. jt512 has driven more users, some quality, away from this site than any other problem. Of course this is anecdotal but I believe it to be true. When he gets going, he provides a truly close up look at mental illness. Had he never visited the site, I bet we'd still be seeing 2010 type of traffic.

I never noticed the spam, it was harmless and funny.


lena_chita
Moderator

Nov 4, 2013, 12:56 PM
Post #56 of 430 (2934 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5756

Re: [macherry] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
adatesman wrote:
macherry wrote:
they always come back (TM)

Funniest part is that is actually quoting Lena_chita from my FB feed. Tongue

But, yes. I'm a recovering RC addict. Hopes are up given the ownership change, but I'm withholding judgement until I see what direction Jeff takes.




Btw- Who's 1-starring my posts? Seriously, it's been *years*, and USNavy and I have long since buried the hatchet and might even consider each other *friends*. So it's not him. Is there someone else needing a hug?


lena stole that from me. trademarked it years ago!!Wink

I didn't steal it. I was quoting you, and considered it self-evident that everyone in that thread knew the source of the quote. I guess not...


adatesman


Nov 4, 2013, 1:00 PM
Post #57 of 430 (2930 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Posts: 3479

Re: [lena_chita] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
macherry wrote:
adatesman wrote:
macherry wrote:
they always come back (TM)

Funniest part is that is actually quoting Lena_chita from my FB feed. Tongue

But, yes. I'm a recovering RC addict. Hopes are up given the ownership change, but I'm withholding judgement until I see what direction Jeff takes.




Btw- Who's 1-starring my posts? Seriously, it's been *years*, and USNavy and I have long since buried the hatchet and might even consider each other *friends*. So it's not him. Is there someone else needing a hug?


lena stole that from me. trademarked it years ago!!Wink

I didn't steal it. I was quoting you, and considered it self-evident that everyone in that thread knew the source of the quote. I guess not...

Awesome, seeing this spill from my FB feed to RC.

Laugh


adatesman


Nov 4, 2013, 1:09 PM
Post #58 of 430 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Posts: 3479

Re: [angry] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I honestly don't see a way to save this site. It is a tarnished brand and a joke. What's more, it does not have a single reason to visit other than the forums.

Forums are essentially bathroom stall walls. People will write bullshit just to see their own bullshit. I'm as guilty as anyone. Not everyone wants to see that. Look at MP.com, I know very few people who post there yet nearly everyone I've met uses the site. What reason does anyone have to use this site if not to post?

Finally, if you do want to save the site, lets be perfectly clear. jt512 has driven more users, some quality, away from this site than any other problem. Of course this is anecdotal but I believe it to be true. When he gets going, he provides a truly close up look at mental illness. Had he never visited the site, I bet we'd still be seeing 2010 type of traffic.

I never noticed the spam, it was harmless and funny.

A bit on the nose, Angry, but spot on. Also take note of which group is advocating for leaving the no-holds-barred-chat room thing, Jeff. Can't speak to JT's recent behavior, but he walks a delicate line of being just useful enough to be kept around in spite of being a raging narcissistic asshole. (Hi JT! Didn't miss you in the least!).

God damn... This place is worse than smack. All over my FB feed, I'm here again for another hit....

Anyway, Jeff, in all seriousness, you bought the site and you owe *nothing* to the established user base. Impose your vision and let it stand on it's merits. And think long and hard about the wisdom of maintaing the status quo.... If status quo was a good thing, they'd not have sold it.


Partner angry


Nov 4, 2013, 1:16 PM
Post #59 of 430 (2899 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 21, 2003
Posts: 8405

Re: [adatesman] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
God damn... This place is worse than smack. All over my FB feed, I'm here again for another hit....

I've been clean for almost 4 years (minus a few drive by's).

Maybe that goes to show that there still is interest in this site.


adatesman


Nov 4, 2013, 1:46 PM
Post #60 of 430 (2881 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Posts: 3479

Re: [angry] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

angry wrote:
adatesman wrote:
God damn... This place is worse than smack. All over my FB feed, I'm here again for another hit....

I've been clean for almost 4 years (minus a few drive by's).

Maybe that goes to show that there still is interest in this site.


Clearly. Dragged me back after a very public ugliness, didn't it?

On a side note, I thought I left before you? Which is to say, I have no memory of you leaving. Has it been that many years?


Partner macherry


Nov 4, 2013, 2:13 PM
Post #61 of 430 (2861 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 10, 2003
Posts: 15808

Re: [lena_chita] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
macherry wrote:
adatesman wrote:
macherry wrote:
they always come back (TM)

Funniest part is that is actually quoting Lena_chita from my FB feed. Tongue

But, yes. I'm a recovering RC addict. Hopes are up given the ownership change, but I'm withholding judgement until I see what direction Jeff takes.




Btw- Who's 1-starring my posts? Seriously, it's been *years*, and USNavy and I have long since buried the hatchet and might even consider each other *friends*. So it's not him. Is there someone else needing a hug?


lena stole that from me. trademarked it years ago!!Wink

I didn't steal it. I was quoting you, and considered it self-evident that everyone in that thread knew the source of the quote. I guess not...

aric's been gone a while.....


Partner xtrmecat


Nov 4, 2013, 2:47 PM
Post #62 of 430 (2840 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 1, 2004
Posts: 548

Re: [Jeff] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

  Hi Jeff,
This used to be quite a site for beta and questions. There are still a few very great posters out there, but you may have noticed they only lurk and very infrequently post a little gem. There have been many an asshole visit and try to stomp others into submission. They too seem to have faded somewhat.

I only cruise here a couple times a month now, mostly because of the above mentioned assholes, but if things turned around, I would frequent much more often.

I try to post quality content and not give the usual bull advice that could kill the basically uninformed newby. I would like to see this thing revived to it's former self and beyond. It was a great source of entertainment as well as a valuable resource to the community, new or old.

Good luck with your adventure, I will tune in more often to see if it turns ugly or comes out of the gate slowly improving as she goes.

Burly Bob


ncrockclimber


Nov 4, 2013, 5:55 PM
Post #67 of 430 (2768 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 6, 2006
Posts: 278

Re: [angry] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

angry wrote:
...Finally, if you do want to save the site, lets be perfectly clear. jt512 has driven more users, some quality, away from this site than any other problem...

Maybe a slight exaggeration, but not too far off the mark.

Edit for clarity.


(This post was edited by ncrockclimber on Nov 4, 2013, 5:56 PM)


satch


Nov 4, 2013, 7:08 PM
Post #69 of 430 (2728 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 27, 2005
Posts: 93

Re: [Jeff] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think the main strength of RC.com is the database of routes. But it isn't as meaningful as it could be. I'd like to see more detailed beta on routes, such as mountain project offers. For long routes, we need more than a route description, we need suggested gear, pitch-by-pitch descriptions and descent beta. Users could provide this in the Ascents Recorded feature if a norm developed around that issue. Maybe some kind of reputation points would work like they do on some IT sites, like stackoverflow.com.

Also, I imagine the spam and trivial discussions are probably driving away your more experienced climbers. Again, some incentive to keep them involved might help.

I know social media is trendy, but I don't think it's a substitute for a void of expertise and helpful content.


Partner epoch
Moderator

Nov 4, 2013, 7:36 PM
Post #72 of 430 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 27, 2005
Posts: 32080

Re: [satch] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

satch wrote:
I think the main strength of RC.com is the database of routes. But it isn't as meaningful as it could be. I'd like to see more detailed beta on routes, such as mountain project offers. For long routes, we need more than a route description, we need suggested gear, pitch-by-pitch descriptions and descent beta. Users could provide this in the Ascents Recorded feature if a norm developed around that issue. Maybe some kind of reputation points would work like they do on some IT sites, like stackoverflow.com.

Also, I imagine the spam and trivial discussions are probably driving away your more experienced climbers. Again, some incentive to keep them involved might help.

I know social media is trendy, but I don't think it's a substitute for a void of expertise and helpful content.

You as a user already have the option to suggest edits to routes, input data on new routes, and get as much detailed about a route as you please. Additionally, every area is open to discussion through the forums, but the caveat is that you have to access the thread from the routes data base.


adatesman


Nov 4, 2013, 7:39 PM
Post #74 of 430 (2703 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Posts: 3479

Re: [carabiner96] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Being me, I couldn't resist doing a bit of creepy stalker and it does look like DDT and NameMedia are out of the picture. Not sure what to make of Jeff's personal site not having an update since May, 2012. Busy guy from the looks of it, so no biggie. But DDT's site.... Well, it's still touting the fact that DropZone has merged with RC. As in, they reposted a press release from 2005. In November 2012. http://www.d4drmedia.com/...kclimbing_merge.html
<facepalm>


(edit because it's been so long I forgot how to do links here)


(This post was edited by adatesman on Nov 4, 2013, 7:41 PM)


adatesman


Nov 4, 2013, 7:44 PM
Post #75 of 430 (2698 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Posts: 3479

Re: [adatesman] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Again with the 1 star? [Edit- it was the previous post that got 1 starred, moments after posting.]

Sigh. The stars were such a great idea. If only they had been fully implemented.

Anyway, reading over your Bio, Jeff, I have to say I'm intrigued. When will you be unveiling your evil plan? Or perhaps simply responding to the thread?


(This post was edited by adatesman on Nov 4, 2013, 7:49 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Announcements

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook