Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Announcements:
Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Announcements

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Next page Last page  View All


curt


Nov 5, 2013, 3:54 PM
Post #126 of 430 (1690 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18227

Re: [happiegrrrl] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (11 ratings)  
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
I don't think many people would consider that picture (Williams on the first nude ascent of Shockley's Ceiling) to be sexually explicit content.

I wouldn't think so either, but I was told via PM that my posts were hidden specifically because they compared the old RC.com logo to a women's vagina--and that there is now a site-wide policy going forward banning things that are "sexually crude."

1) I guess I never knew the word "vagina" was sexually offensive.

2) I'd say this initial action by Jeff doesn't bode very well for the future of RC.com's forums.

Curt


adatesman


Nov 5, 2013, 4:15 PM
Post #127 of 430 (1671 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Posts: 3479

Re: [curt] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:
I don't think many people would consider that picture (Williams on the first nude ascent of Shockley's Ceiling) to be sexually explicit content.

I wouldn't think so either, but I was told via PM that my posts were hidden specifically because they compared the old RC.com logo to a women's vagina--and that there is now a site-wide policy going forward banning things that are "sexually crude."

1) I guess I never knew the word "vagina" was sexually offensive.

2) I'd say this initial action by Jeff doesn't bode very well for the future of RC.com's forums.

Curt

Actually, Curt, I'd say it doesn't bode will for your tenure here, given you're part of the problem.


jt512


Nov 5, 2013, 4:45 PM
Post #128 of 430 (1635 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21890

Re: [curt] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:
I don't think many people would consider that picture (Williams on the first nude ascent of Shockley's Ceiling) to be sexually explicit content.

I wouldn't think so either, but I was told via PM that my posts were hidden specifically because they compared the old RC.com logo to a women's vagina--and that there is now a site-wide policy going forward banning things that are "sexually crude."

1) I guess I never knew the word "vagina" was sexually offensive.

2) I'd say this initial action by Jeff doesn't bode very well for the future of RC.com's forums.

Curt

I just communicated those points to Jeff by P.M.


adatesman


Nov 5, 2013, 4:56 PM
Post #129 of 430 (1616 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Posts: 3479

Re: [jt512] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I just communicated those points to Jeff by P.M.


Guess I'm not so special then. Nor are a whole lot of other people, many of who were contacted *by* NewBoss, who contacted them unsolicited for feedback. Long story short, JT, there's a reason Curt keeps popping up in my FB feed as someone I might know and you don't. And why so many people attribute the exodus from RC to you personally. And why your nonsense isn't tolerated elsewhere. NewBoss will likely not be the same as OldBoss, and that probably means your days are numbered.


USnavy


Nov 5, 2013, 4:57 PM
Post #130 of 430 (1610 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2658

Re: [adatesman] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
Again with the 1 star? [Edit- it was the previous post that got 1 starred, moments after posting.]

Sigh. The stars were such a great idea. If only they had been fully implemented.
I dont think they are. I do not know of a single website in which the system works well. Consider why Facebook, the second largest website on the Internet, does not use a "dislike" button. They dont add one because it creates a negative experience, which is not in the best interest of any company. Websites should remain net-neutral, and allow its users to determine the quality and worth of a post or piece of advice. The website, via a rating system or other means, should not be filtering the content.

No matter how you implement a rating system, it will never reflect the actual accuracy of a post, only its popularity.


(This post was edited by USnavy on Nov 5, 2013, 5:00 PM)


Partner happiegrrrl


Nov 5, 2013, 4:58 PM
Post #131 of 430 (1606 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 25, 2004
Posts: 4612

Re: [adatesman] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Another 24 hours and this thread will represent the perfect microcosm of rockclimbing.com.


The comment about Buyer's Remorse is beginning to seem more apt - hahaha


USnavy


Nov 5, 2013, 5:02 PM
Post #132 of 430 (1587 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2658

Re: [adatesman] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
Then again, I did very much enjoy dropping the 10x Mod 1-star on every post of USNavy's once I realized he was 1-starring all of my posts just to be a dick.
Well sorry to kill your buzz, but I used Ad-Block Plus to remove the staring system from the website years ago, so I never saw those one stars, just like I dont see them now. Wink


adatesman


Nov 5, 2013, 5:02 PM
Post #133 of 430 (1587 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Posts: 3479

Re: [happiegrrrl] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
The comment about Buyer's Remorse is beginning to seem more apt - hahaha

Not to blow up my own skirt, but I'm kinda proud of that one. Angelic


adatesman


Nov 5, 2013, 5:03 PM
Post #135 of 430 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Posts: 3479

Re: [USnavy] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
adatesman wrote:
Then again, I did very much enjoy dropping the 10x Mod 1-star on every post of USNavy's once I realized he was 1-starring all of my posts just to be a dick.
Well sorry to kill your buzz, but I used Ad-Block Plus to remove the staring system from the website years ago, so I never saw those one stars, just like I dont see them now. Wink

Knew it wasn't you, Sayar. Smile





Edit.... Ok, conspiracy theory time... who else might have unsettled business with me here on RC all these years later? That has experience in coding? And wrote the oft-used Greasemonkey RC killfile script? JT!!!!



(seriously, if there was a way to see if my posts were immediately 1-starred when JT sees them, I'd be very curious. They'll sit for a while unrated, so it's not a site-based script, so....?)


(This post was edited by adatesman on Nov 5, 2013, 5:06 PM)


curt


Nov 5, 2013, 5:15 PM
Post #136 of 430 (1558 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18227

Re: [adatesman] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

With respect to me:

adatesman wrote:
Actually, Curt, I'd say it doesn't bode will for your tenure here, given you're part of the problem.

and with respect to jt512:

adatesman wrote:
NewBoss will likely not be the same as OldBoss, and that probably means your days are numbered.

It's truly amazing how you believe you can actually speak for the new owners and essentially threaten long time RC.com users with expulsion. Particularly since you're the one who stomped his feet, cried like a little girl to the previous management--and then took all his marbles and went home. You seriously need to get over yourself.

Curt


jt512


Nov 5, 2013, 5:19 PM
Post #137 of 430 (1548 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21890

Re: [adatesman] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
markc wrote:
On another note, some people have suggested catering to the n00b. Moving away from the cliche "do a search" or "you're gonna die" replies would be nice, but you can't maintain a community around shoe and first rope discussions.

Have to disagree on that point, as the existence of teen magazines is proof it's not true. It's that the user quickly outgrows the community, not that the community can't exist. The problem is striking a balance between making the community accessible to new folk while at the same time keeping the interest of the older ones. Plus with new ropes and shoes coming out all the time and the decline of brick&mortar stores, how else is someone new going to get opinions on their first pieces of gear?

By doing a search!


dagibbs


Nov 5, 2013, 5:19 PM
Post #139 of 430 (1546 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2007
Posts: 880

Re: [USnavy] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
adatesman wrote:
Again with the 1 star? [Edit- it was the previous post that got 1 starred, moments after posting.]

Sigh. The stars were such a great idea. If only they had been fully implemented.
I dont think they are. I do not know of a single website in which the system works well. .

slashdot

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Announcements

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook