Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Why isn't anyone talking about this?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

 


granite_grrl


Feb 10, 2014, 7:40 AM
Post #1 of 56 (8880 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 15060

Why isn't anyone talking about this?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I mean, seriously.



More here:
http://theuiaa.org/...-tower-in-Sochi.html


JimTitt


Feb 10, 2014, 8:07 AM
Post #2 of 56 (8862 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 7, 2008
Posts: 1002

Re: [granite_grrl] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Because we have no interest whatsoever?


rocknice2


Feb 10, 2014, 11:33 AM
Post #3 of 56 (8763 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2006
Posts: 1220

Re: [granite_grrl] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think it's a great idea who's time has come!

http://youtu.be/3f1qnII_f7s


granite_grrl


Feb 10, 2014, 12:50 PM
Post #4 of 56 (8726 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 15060

Re: [rocknice2] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
I think it's a great idea who's time has come!

http://youtu.be/3f1qnII_f7s

While I am glad CBC ran that piece, I was upset that no one bothered to mention the third member of the Canadian ice climbing team? Perhaps because he doesn't live in the West they figured no one would care?

To recap, there are three Canadians who will demonstraiting at the Olympic Village, Nathan Kutcher, Jen Olson and Gord McArthur. The couple of Americans that were planning to attend backed out, so I'm not sure who is there other than Marc Beverly from the US.

They have a lead and a speed wall set up there and will be demonstraiting compitition climbing each day and then giving instruction to the general public who are interested.


iknowfear


Feb 10, 2014, 6:32 PM
Post #5 of 56 (8625 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 8, 2004
Posts: 649

Re: [granite_grrl] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
I mean, seriously.

[image]http://theuiaa.org/upload_area/News/medium/2014-02-08_UIAA_2014_Sochi-_P1A8800-copy(1).jpg[/image]

More here:
http://theuiaa.org/...-tower-in-Sochi.html

cause this place is dead as a doorknob.
There is no talk of anyting.


johnwesely


Feb 10, 2014, 6:40 PM
Post #6 of 56 (8624 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [iknowfear] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

iknowfear wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
I mean, seriously.

[image]http://theuiaa.org/upload_area/News/medium/2014-02-08_UIAA_2014_Sochi-_P1A8800-copy(1).jpg[/image]

More here:
http://theuiaa.org/...-tower-in-Sochi.html

cause this place is dead as a doorknob.
There is no talk of anyting.

I just doubled today's post count by posting this.


socalclimber


Feb 11, 2014, 8:19 AM
Post #7 of 56 (8521 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 27, 2001
Posts: 2437

Re: [iknowfear] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I pity the poor people who bought this place. The old owners let it go down the drain, then dumped the site as soon as they could. I wonder what the new owners paid for it.

Looks like their kids will be going to community college.


(This post was edited by socalclimber on Feb 11, 2014, 8:20 AM)


mojomonkey


Feb 11, 2014, 9:44 AM
Post #8 of 56 (8498 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Posts: 864

Re: [socalclimber] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
I pity the poor people who bought this place. The old owners let it go down the drain, then dumped the site as soon as they could. I wonder what the new owners paid for it.

Looks like their kids will be going to community college.

I think this site's traffic normally drops in the winter and picks up in the spring - corresponding to when a large chunk of this site's users stop and then resume climbing outside. As long as this site has shown some improvement by then there is a shot for forum use to pick up.


granite_grrl


Feb 11, 2014, 10:38 AM
Post #9 of 56 (8474 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 15060

Re: [iknowfear] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

iknowfear wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
I mean, seriously.

[image]http://theuiaa.org/upload_area/News/medium/2014-02-08_UIAA_2014_Sochi-_P1A8800-copy(1).jpg[/image]

More here:
http://theuiaa.org/...-tower-in-Sochi.html

cause this place is dead as a doorknob.
There is no talk of anyting.

Perhaps I should have titled the thread: "Let's talk about this" ?


lena_chita
Moderator

Feb 11, 2014, 11:47 AM
Post #10 of 56 (8454 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 6032

Re: [granite_grrl] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
iknowfear wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
I mean, seriously.

[image]http://theuiaa.org/upload_area/News/medium/2014-02-08_UIAA_2014_Sochi-_P1A8800-copy(1).jpg[/image]

More here:
http://theuiaa.org/...-tower-in-Sochi.html

cause this place is dead as a doorknob.
There is no talk of anyting.

Perhaps I should have titled the thread: "Let's talk about this" ?


Yes.

But really, "climbing in the Olympics" has been discussed before. And everything that people said about climbing in the Olympics, also applies to ice climbing in the Olympics. And, relatively few users of this site are interested in ice climbing in the first place.

I personally think it is cool that this demo is happening, and that Nathan is part of it. Competition climbing has always been more popular in Europe, and ice climbing is popular in Russia, so it is a perfect venue for showcasing it.


rocknice2


Feb 11, 2014, 12:18 PM
Post #11 of 56 (8440 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2006
Posts: 1220

Re: [lena_chita] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think ice climbing has a better chance at getting into the Olympics than rock climbing. There are less events for the winter games and it's definitely more visual with the cool tools and all.




granite_grrl


Feb 11, 2014, 12:39 PM
Post #12 of 56 (8430 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 15060

Re: [rocknice2] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

At the world cup events there are usually two or three people climbing at the same time too (but not in finals) which makes it more interesting too.


granite_grrl


Feb 11, 2014, 12:44 PM
Post #13 of 56 (8429 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 15060

Re: [lena_chita] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
I personally think it is cool that this demo is happening, and that Nathan is part of it. Competition climbing has always been more popular in Europe, and ice climbing is popular in Russia, so it is a perfect venue for showcasing it.

I'm realizing more and more the differences between North American and Europe in terms of climbing. Ice comps are actually very accesable for those who are interested in it, but people here aren't really exposed to it.


chadnsc


Feb 13, 2014, 10:37 AM
Post #14 of 56 (8154 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 24, 2003
Posts: 4449

Re: [granite_grrl] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Could it be related the high initial cost associated with getting into ice climbing?

Or is your question why don't more ice climbers get involved in comps?


Partner Jeff
Owner

Feb 13, 2014, 12:20 PM
Post #15 of 56 (8124 views)
Shortcut

 
Re: [chadnsc] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
Could it be related the high initial cost associated with getting into ice climbing?

That or simply there's not a lot of "natural" ice climbing accessible to most folks in the US... I grew up near the most heavily glaciated area in the lower 48 and there was only one ice climbing area that was relatively accessible as a day trip and it wasn't that great. Not saying there's not some great places in the US, just that they aren't super close to the population centers...

Versus rockclimbing in the outdoors is available to a lot more folks.


Partner macherry


Feb 13, 2014, 1:51 PM
Post #16 of 56 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 10, 2003
Posts: 15833

Re: [Jeff] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

we should be talking about this!! one of our own, chossy is there!!!!!!


and because ice climbing is demoing at the olympics!!!


taylortreadgold


Feb 17, 2014, 4:45 PM
Post #17 of 56 (7799 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 10, 2013
Posts: 22

Re: [granite_grrl] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Honestly ice climbing is a million times more interesting than ice dancing. It makes a lot of sense to be involved as it is still a growing sport and the athletes are essentially "amateur" in the sense that they are not heavily financed by corporate sponsors.

Also rock climbing especially boudlering or speed climbing is much more interesting than some floor events in gymnastics.

Anyways i love the idea and as climbing continues to grow i think there's a good chance climbing in some forms will be a part of the Olympics.


naitch


Feb 18, 2014, 9:34 AM
Post #18 of 56 (7726 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 17, 2002
Posts: 537

Re: [taylortreadgold] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

…yawn


granite_grrl


Feb 18, 2014, 9:49 AM
Post #19 of 56 (7720 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 15060

Re: [chadnsc] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
Could it be related the high initial cost associated with getting into ice climbing?

Or is your question why don't more ice climbers get involved in comps?

It is expensive to get into ice climbing, no question. I think that's what you see slighty more mature climbers who leading the field than the people who just turned 20.

But I was more talking comps and really mixed climbing in general. Was climbing in Quebec with a group I don't normally get out with. Brought them to a drytooling crag. Had one person comment how much fun they had....they had thought that mixed climbing and drytooling was just for elite climbers, they didn't realize that there was plenty of stuff out there for them too.


roninthorne


Feb 18, 2014, 1:51 PM
Post #20 of 56 (7663 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 27, 2002
Posts: 652

Re: [granite_grrl] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Because people are trying to resolve the conflict between screaming about climate change and watching or participating in the Olympics, or any other climbing competition or event?


billcoe_


Feb 18, 2014, 10:32 PM
Post #21 of 56 (7593 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 30, 2002
Posts: 4675

Re: [roninthorne] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

For a climber, watching climbing is a lot like a fishermen watching a fisherman compete to catch fish. Maybe even less, as the fisherman is outside in the real world whereas the climber competing is in an artificial environment.

Perhaps it can be compared to having sex with a real hot woman, vs having a person describe 2 robots fucking their brains out.

I hope that helps you GG.


rocknice2


Feb 19, 2014, 8:06 AM
Post #22 of 56 (7553 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2006
Posts: 1220

Re: [granite_grrl] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
It is expensive to get into ice climbing, no question.
Once you have rock gear and some winter clothing, it's about $1200 for topnotch tools, poons and boots. It sounds like a lot. Especially when you divide it by the months you're able to do it.
Have you priced how much it cost to get your into hockey?
Skiing?

Actually the biggest expense comes from the fees to participate.


granite_grrl


Feb 19, 2014, 9:30 AM
Post #23 of 56 (7536 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 15060

Re: [rocknice2] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
It is expensive to get into ice climbing, no question.
Once you have rock gear and some winter clothing, it's about $1200 for topnotch tools, poons and boots. It sounds like a lot. Especially when you divide it by the months you're able to do it.
Have you priced how much it cost to get your into hockey?
Skiing?

Actually the biggest expense comes from the fees to participate.

Actually, in Canada the fees to participate in the ice climbing world cup are covered by the Alpine Club of Canada. These fees are surprisingly small though.

The biggest expense is getting there! It's one thing if you're a climber with a good sponsership, but people like Nathan (aka - chossmonkey) are paying for most of it out of pocket. Mixed climbing is a subset of a subset of climbing disciplines. Show casing it in the olympics is a good way to bring attention to it.


rocknice2


Feb 19, 2014, 9:51 AM
Post #24 of 56 (7527 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2006
Posts: 1220

Re: [granite_grrl] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I was referring to the cost of rink time or a lift ticket.


Partner cracklover


Feb 19, 2014, 10:43 AM
Post #25 of 56 (7508 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10133

Re: [taylortreadgold] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

taylortreadgold wrote:
Honestly ice climbing is a million times more interesting than ice dancing. It makes a lot of sense to be involved as it is still a growing sport and the athletes are essentially "amateur" in the sense that they are not heavily financed by corporate sponsors.

Also rock climbing especially boudlering or speed climbing is much more interesting than some floor events in gymnastics.

I agree with the first half, and disagree with the second half of the above.

I have zero (is it possible to have less than zero? In that case, less than zero) interest in actually ice climbing, myself, personally. But if it were featured in the Olympics? Hell yeah, I'd watch that. I think it'd be cool to see. Wouldn't change my opinion of whether I want to do it, but I'd way rather watch that than, say, ice dancing or curling.

But I have very little interest in watching speed climbing (yawn) or bouldering in the Olympics. Those may be fun to watch in person, but on TV, forget it. I'd way rather watch gymnastics, or even wrestling - a sport that had such poor interest levels they tried to cut it from the Olympics.

GO


lena_chita
Moderator

Feb 19, 2014, 10:55 AM
Post #26 of 56 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 6032

Re: [billcoe_] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
For a climber, watching climbing is a lot like a fishermen watching a fisherman compete to catch fish. Maybe even less, as the fisherman is outside in the real world whereas the climber competing is in an artificial environment.

Perhaps it can be compared to having sex with a real hot woman, vs having a person describe 2 robots fucking their brains out.

I hope that helps you GG.

Gee, that's a bit over the top... Some people enjoy watching gymnastics and figure-skating, Others enjoy watching football.

Some don't like to watch anything... those are not the ones who should have the input on what sport is televised or included in the Olympics. Tongue

I don't agree with you at all. I have always enjoyed watching other climbers climb, both in competitions and otherwise. If anything, i think it is more interesting for a climber to watch other climbers than it is for a non-climber to watch it, because as a climber you might have a better appreciation of the difficulty of the moves, and what's involved.


granite_grrl


Feb 19, 2014, 1:35 PM
Post #27 of 56 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 15060

Re: [rocknice2] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
I was referring to the cost of rink time or a lift ticket.

whoops, sorry.

For simple ice climbing the biggest cost also comes from actually getting out there and doing it. I know some people are lucky, but I do way too much driving in the winter for the frozen stuff and unless you really like winter camping there are often the costs of a hotel room and eating out.


granite_grrl


Feb 19, 2014, 1:38 PM
Post #28 of 56 (2956 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 15060

Re: [cracklover] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
taylortreadgold wrote:
Honestly ice climbing is a million times more interesting than ice dancing. It makes a lot of sense to be involved as it is still a growing sport and the athletes are essentially "amateur" in the sense that they are not heavily financed by corporate sponsors.

Also rock climbing especially boudlering or speed climbing is much more interesting than some floor events in gymnastics.

I agree with the first half, and disagree with the second half of the above.

I have zero (is it possible to have less than zero? In that case, less than zero) interest in actually ice climbing, myself, personally. But if it were featured in the Olympics? Hell yeah, I'd watch that. I think it'd be cool to see. Wouldn't change my opinion of whether I want to do it, but I'd way rather watch that than, say, ice dancing or curling.

But I have very little interest in watching speed climbing (yawn) or bouldering in the Olympics. Those may be fun to watch in person, but on TV, forget it. I'd way rather watch gymnastics, or even wrestling - a sport that had such poor interest levels they tried to cut it from the Olympics.

GO

I think ice comp climbing is pretty cool to watch. Obviously I have a vested interest, but just in general it's pretty cool.

I agree just watching joe-blow at the crag is pretty boring, but when the time limit is 7min to the top and there are three people on the structure at a time I think it's pretty cool.


JimTitt


Feb 19, 2014, 1:55 PM
Post #29 of 56 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 7, 2008
Posts: 1002

Re: [granite_grrl] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
cracklover wrote:
taylortreadgold wrote:
Honestly ice climbing is a million times more interesting than ice dancing. It makes a lot of sense to be involved as it is still a growing sport and the athletes are essentially "amateur" in the sense that they are not heavily financed by corporate sponsors.

Also rock climbing especially boudlering or speed climbing is much more interesting than some floor events in gymnastics.

I agree with the first half, and disagree with the second half of the above.

I have zero (is it possible to have less than zero? In that case, less than zero) interest in actually ice climbing, myself, personally. But if it were featured in the Olympics? Hell yeah, I'd watch that. I think it'd be cool to see. Wouldn't change my opinion of whether I want to do it, but I'd way rather watch that than, say, ice dancing or curling.

But I have very little interest in watching speed climbing (yawn) or bouldering in the Olympics. Those may be fun to watch in person, but on TV, forget it. I'd way rather watch gymnastics, or even wrestling - a sport that had such poor interest levels they tried to cut it from the Olympics.

GO

I think ice comp climbing is pretty cool to watch. Obviously I have a vested interest, but just in general it's pretty cool.

I agree just watching joe-blow at the crag is pretty boring, but when the time limit is 7min to the top and there are three people on the structure at a time I think it's pretty cool.

Well that´s you! I´ve been to 3 ice world cups on business and watched for maybe a total of 10 mins before the bar called. It´s boring like all climbing comps.
And now it´s time to slump on the couch and watch the Champions League soccer (Bayern Munich vs Arsenal London) which will be 90 mins of incredibly skilled athletes performing an intricate mental and physical choreography to earn a few more millions!


Gmburns2000


Feb 19, 2014, 3:11 PM
Post #30 of 56 (2939 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15215

Re: [JimTitt] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

JimTitt wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
cracklover wrote:
taylortreadgold wrote:
Honestly ice climbing is a million times more interesting than ice dancing. It makes a lot of sense to be involved as it is still a growing sport and the athletes are essentially "amateur" in the sense that they are not heavily financed by corporate sponsors.

Also rock climbing especially boudlering or speed climbing is much more interesting than some floor events in gymnastics.

I agree with the first half, and disagree with the second half of the above.

I have zero (is it possible to have less than zero? In that case, less than zero) interest in actually ice climbing, myself, personally. But if it were featured in the Olympics? Hell yeah, I'd watch that. I think it'd be cool to see. Wouldn't change my opinion of whether I want to do it, but I'd way rather watch that than, say, ice dancing or curling.

But I have very little interest in watching speed climbing (yawn) or bouldering in the Olympics. Those may be fun to watch in person, but on TV, forget it. I'd way rather watch gymnastics, or even wrestling - a sport that had such poor interest levels they tried to cut it from the Olympics.

GO

I think ice comp climbing is pretty cool to watch. Obviously I have a vested interest, but just in general it's pretty cool.

I agree just watching joe-blow at the crag is pretty boring, but when the time limit is 7min to the top and there are three people on the structure at a time I think it's pretty cool.

Well that´s you! I´ve been to 3 ice world cups on business and watched for maybe a total of 10 mins before the bar called. It´s boring like all climbing comps.
And now it´s time to slump on the couch and watch the Champions League soccer (Bayern Munich vs Arsenal London) which will be 90 mins of incredibly skilled athletes performing an intricate mental and physical choreography to earn a few more millions!

soccer's got nothing on hockey. not even close.

edit: and I live in Brasil.


(This post was edited by Gmburns2000 on Feb 19, 2014, 3:12 PM)


6pacfershur


Feb 20, 2014, 11:19 PM
Post #31 of 56 (2891 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 22, 2010
Posts: 247

Re: [billcoe_] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
....having sex with a real hot woman, vs having a person describe 2 robots fucking their brains out.....

SO classy!


marc801


Feb 21, 2014, 11:05 AM
Post #32 of 56 (2863 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2802

Re: [Gmburns2000] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
soccer's got nothing on hockey. not even close.
I think watching grass grow is more exciting than either.


granite_grrl


Feb 21, 2014, 12:47 PM
Post #33 of 56 (2846 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 15060

Re: [marc801] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.ktuu.com/...ce-Climbing/24575506

American reporter tries out some speed climbing.


rsmillbern


Feb 23, 2014, 11:04 AM
Post #34 of 56 (2800 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 29, 2005
Posts: 319

Re: [granite_grrl] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Could it be related the high initial cost associated with getting into ice climbing?

Or is your question why don't more ice climbers get involved in comps?

It is expensive to get into ice climbing, no question. I think that's what you see slighty more mature climbers who leading the field than the people who just turned 20.

But I was more talking comps and really mixed climbing in general. Was climbing in Quebec with a group I don't normally get out with. Brought them to a drytooling crag. Had one person comment how much fun they had....they had thought that mixed climbing and drytooling was just for elite climbers, they didn't realize that there was plenty of stuff out there for them too.

Yes, it is expensive, but not really than much more than trad climbing (given that prices vary greatly and it is dependent on what you like...)

It seems a lot of people are willing to invest a couple grad on trad gear. You can get setup pretty nice for ice climbing for that as well.


Partner cracklover


Feb 24, 2014, 10:30 AM
Post #35 of 56 (2766 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10133

Re: [granite_grrl] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
http://www.ktuu.com/...ce-Climbing/24575506

American reporter tries out some speed climbing.

Cute story but if that's the structure they're competing on, then no way in hell would a real competition of speed ice climbers be something I'd want to watch. That vid confirmed it. Real ice (or mixed) climbing - probably, yeah.

GO


granite_grrl


Feb 24, 2014, 11:12 AM
Post #36 of 56 (2760 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 15060

Re: [cracklover] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
http://www.ktuu.com/...ce-Climbing/24575506

American reporter tries out some speed climbing.

Cute story but if that's the structure they're competing on, then no way in hell would a real competition of speed ice climbers be something I'd want to watch. That vid confirmed it. Real ice (or mixed) climbing - probably, yeah.

GO

There never was a competition there, it was all demonstraition.

CTV story: http://www.ctvnews.ca/...mp;playlistPageNum=1


rocknice2


Feb 24, 2014, 1:14 PM
Post #37 of 56 (2745 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2006
Posts: 1220

Re: [granite_grrl] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Most important is that Canada took home 2 gold medals for ice hockey.


dagibbs


Feb 24, 2014, 3:16 PM
Post #38 of 56 (2730 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 1, 2007
Posts: 916

Re: [rocknice2] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
Most important is that Canada took home 2 gold medals for ice hockey.

Even MORE important is that Canada took home 2 gold medals for curling! As I understand it, this is the first ever that any nation has taken both golds, and the first ever time that a team has been undefeated in the round-robin (Canada women's).


USnavy


Mar 7, 2014, 3:21 AM
Post #39 of 56 (2574 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2667

Re: [granite_grrl] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
I mean, seriously.

[image]http://theuiaa.org/upload_area/News/medium/2014-02-08_UIAA_2014_Sochi-_P1A8800-copy(1).jpg[/image]

More here:
http://theuiaa.org/...-tower-in-Sochi.html
For the same reason no one gives a damn that [insert random 14yr kid's name] sent V21? The last thing we need is climbing in the Olympics. More Wal-Tard-like bullshit corporate sponsors polluting an otherwise off-the-grid sport. Yea, let's make climbing like football. That's exactly what the sport needs.


(This post was edited by USnavy on Mar 7, 2014, 3:21 AM)


jt512


Mar 7, 2014, 10:15 PM
Post #40 of 56 (2534 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 12, 2001
Posts: 21899

Re: [Gmburns2000] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
soccer's got nothing on hockey. not even close.

I agree that soccer's got nothing on hockey, but they are incredibly close: in soccer the ball goes back and forth and hardly anybody scores; in hockey the puck goes back and forth and hardly anybody scores. The games are essentially identical, except for the playing surface and the object that goes back and forth.


Gmburns2000


Mar 8, 2014, 7:51 AM
Post #41 of 56 (2517 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15215

Re: [jt512] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
soccer's got nothing on hockey. not even close.

I agree that soccer's got nothing on hockey, but they are incredibly close: in soccer the ball goes back and forth and hardly anybody scores; in hockey the puck goes back and forth and hardly anybody scores. The games are essentially identical, except for the playing surface and the object that goes back and forth.

I live in Brasil right now and I'm constantly trying to tell people here that hockey is essentially soccer on ice. The key difference is that hockey is faster, played over a smaller playing surface, is more intense, and has the ever present potential for a fight.

A few are thinking about converting after having watched the winter olympics, although the men's tournament was kind of lackluster to be honest. There weren't any real thrillers except for the US-Russia game.


JimTitt


Mar 8, 2014, 9:06 AM
Post #42 of 56 (2511 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 7, 2008
Posts: 1002

Re: [Gmburns2000] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
soccer's got nothing on hockey. not even close.

I agree that soccer's got nothing on hockey, but they are incredibly close: in soccer the ball goes back and forth and hardly anybody scores; in hockey the puck goes back and forth and hardly anybody scores. The games are essentially identical, except for the playing surface and the object that goes back and forth.

I live in Brasil right now and I'm constantly trying to tell people here that hockey is essentially soccer on ice. The key difference is that hockey is faster, played over a smaller playing surface, is more intense, and has the ever present potential for a fight.

A few are thinking about converting after having watched the winter olympics, although the men's tournament was kind of lackluster to be honest. There weren't any real thrillers except for the US-Russia game.

Surely you are talking about ice hockey? Hockey´s a rather girlie game played by men bet over with curved sticks hitting a little ball around a grass field.


Gmburns2000


Mar 8, 2014, 3:19 PM
Post #43 of 56 (2494 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15215

Re: [JimTitt] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

JimTitt wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
soccer's got nothing on hockey. not even close.

I agree that soccer's got nothing on hockey, but they are incredibly close: in soccer the ball goes back and forth and hardly anybody scores; in hockey the puck goes back and forth and hardly anybody scores. The games are essentially identical, except for the playing surface and the object that goes back and forth.

I live in Brasil right now and I'm constantly trying to tell people here that hockey is essentially soccer on ice. The key difference is that hockey is faster, played over a smaller playing surface, is more intense, and has the ever present potential for a fight.

A few are thinking about converting after having watched the winter olympics, although the men's tournament was kind of lackluster to be honest. There weren't any real thrillers except for the US-Russia game.

Surely you are talking about ice hockey? Hockey´s a rather girlie game played by men bet over with curved sticks hitting a little ball around a grass field.

In North America, which has more native English speakers than Europe, the adjective (field) goes before the game played on the field, and is primarily played by women. Hockey refers to that game played on ice and doesn't require the adjective, though it can be used. Still, if I say that, "I play hockey," it means the game on ice.


jt512


Mar 9, 2014, 1:42 AM
Post #44 of 56 (2474 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 12, 2001
Posts: 21899

Re: [Gmburns2000] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
I live in Brasil right now and I'm constantly trying to tell people here that hockey is essentially soccer on ice.

Well, we apparently agree on hockey's similarity to basketball, but we differ as to whether that is an asset for hockey or a liability.


sbaclimber


Mar 9, 2014, 3:57 AM
Post #45 of 56 (2461 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 22, 2004
Posts: 3113

Re: [Gmburns2000] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
JimTitt wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
soccer's got nothing on hockey. not even close.

I agree that soccer's got nothing on hockey, but they are incredibly close: in soccer the ball goes back and forth and hardly anybody scores; in hockey the puck goes back and forth and hardly anybody scores. The games are essentially identical, except for the playing surface and the object that goes back and forth.

I live in Brasil right now and I'm constantly trying to tell people here that hockey is essentially soccer on ice. The key difference is that hockey is faster, played over a smaller playing surface, is more intense, and has the ever present potential for a fight.

A few are thinking about converting after having watched the winter olympics, although the men's tournament was kind of lackluster to be honest. There weren't any real thrillers except for the US-Russia game.

Surely you are talking about ice hockey? Hockey´s a rather girlie game played by men bet over with curved sticks hitting a little ball around a grass field.

In North America, which has more native English speakers than Europe, the adjective (field) goes before the game played on the field, and is primarily played by women. Hockey refers to that game played on ice and doesn't require the adjective, though it can be used. Still, if I say that, "I play hockey," it means the game on ice.
I am pretty sure Jim was aware of that. I am guessing he was just stirring a bit. Tongue
Here in Germany, many people (including some of my coworkers) get really bent out of shape if you imply that field hockey isn't "real" hockey. Which is why it is so fun to do just that. Sly


Gmburns2000


Mar 9, 2014, 10:03 AM
Post #46 of 56 (2451 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15215

Re: [sbaclimber] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
JimTitt wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
soccer's got nothing on hockey. not even close.

I agree that soccer's got nothing on hockey, but they are incredibly close: in soccer the ball goes back and forth and hardly anybody scores; in hockey the puck goes back and forth and hardly anybody scores. The games are essentially identical, except for the playing surface and the object that goes back and forth.

I live in Brasil right now and I'm constantly trying to tell people here that hockey is essentially soccer on ice. The key difference is that hockey is faster, played over a smaller playing surface, is more intense, and has the ever present potential for a fight.

A few are thinking about converting after having watched the winter olympics, although the men's tournament was kind of lackluster to be honest. There weren't any real thrillers except for the US-Russia game.

Surely you are talking about ice hockey? Hockey´s a rather girlie game played by men bet over with curved sticks hitting a little ball around a grass field.

In North America, which has more native English speakers than Europe, the adjective (field) goes before the game played on the field, and is primarily played by women. Hockey refers to that game played on ice and doesn't require the adjective, though it can be used. Still, if I say that, "I play hockey," it means the game on ice.
I am pretty sure Jim was aware of that. I am guessing he was just stirring a bit. Tongue
Here in Germany, many people (including some of my coworkers) get really bent out of shape if you imply that field hockey isn't "real" hockey. Which is why it is so fun to do just that. Sly

Oh I got that. I was poking back and also giving him the pleasure, too. Laugh


Gmburns2000


Mar 9, 2014, 10:05 AM
Post #47 of 56 (2450 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15215

Re: [jt512] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
In reply to:
I live in Brasil right now and I'm constantly trying to tell people here that hockey is essentially soccer on ice.

Well, we apparently agree on hockey's similarity to basketball, but we differ as to whether that is an asset for hockey or a liability.

basketball is relevant still? How about handball? Water polo? Football? Aussie rules football? Irish rules football? Rugby? Polo? I'm sure I missed a few. Either way, none of them stand up. Well, football is pretty fun to watch.


sbaclimber


Mar 9, 2014, 1:50 PM
Post #48 of 56 (2429 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 22, 2004
Posts: 3113

Re: [Gmburns2000] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Well, football is pretty fun to watch.
Wait....which football are we talking about?


Gmburns2000


Mar 9, 2014, 2:41 PM
Post #49 of 56 (2420 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15215

Re: [sbaclimber] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Well, football is pretty fun to watch.
Wait....which football are we talking about?

hehe. touche


sbaclimber


Mar 9, 2014, 4:47 PM
Post #50 of 56 (2404 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 22, 2004
Posts: 3113

Re: [Gmburns2000] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Well, football is pretty fun to watch.
Wait....which football are we talking about?

hehe. touche
Things got really confusing for me when I moved to NZ...where "footy" is rugby, "football" is soccer, and american football is nonexistent.
...and instead of baseball, they play cricket. Just as boring, only longer and with waaaaay more rules. Crazy


blueeyedclimber


Mar 10, 2014, 8:13 AM
Post #51 of 56 (894 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 19, 2002
Posts: 4602

Re: [Gmburns2000] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
In reply to:
I live in Brasil right now and I'm constantly trying to tell people here that hockey is essentially soccer on ice.

Well, we apparently agree on hockey's similarity to basketball, but we differ as to whether that is an asset for hockey or a liability.

basketball is relevant still? How about handball? Water polo? Football? Aussie rules football? Irish rules football? Rugby? Polo? I'm sure I missed a few. Either way, none of them stand up. Well, football is pretty fun to watch.

Next to soccer, basketball is probably the most popular sport in the world and has had the most growth out of any sport in the last 20 years.

Oh, and you forgot curling….hahaha!

Josh


Gmburns2000


Mar 10, 2014, 9:39 AM
Post #52 of 56 (884 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15215

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
In reply to:
I live in Brasil right now and I'm constantly trying to tell people here that hockey is essentially soccer on ice.

Well, we apparently agree on hockey's similarity to basketball, but we differ as to whether that is an asset for hockey or a liability.

basketball is relevant still? How about handball? Water polo? Football? Aussie rules football? Irish rules football? Rugby? Polo? I'm sure I missed a few. Either way, none of them stand up. Well, football is pretty fun to watch.

Next to soccer, basketball is probably the most popular sport in the world and has had the most growth out of any sport in the last 20 years.

Oh, and you forgot curling….hahaha!

Josh

According to this you're way off (most watched sports): http://www.sporteology.com/...opular-sports-world/

According to this you're way off (most attended sports): http://en.wikipedia.org/...s_attendance_figures

According to this, after unorganized stats and non-Olympics sports are taken out, you're close, but you can obviously see the error in the results: http://www.topendsports.com/...port/federations.htm

More proof: http://www.topendsports.com/...pular-sport/fans.htm

Care to take your "geez I forgot about the rest of the world" statement back? Laugh


blueeyedclimber


Mar 10, 2014, 10:03 AM
Post #53 of 56 (878 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 19, 2002
Posts: 4602

Re: [Gmburns2000] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
In reply to:
I live in Brasil right now and I'm constantly trying to tell people here that hockey is essentially soccer on ice.

Well, we apparently agree on hockey's similarity to basketball, but we differ as to whether that is an asset for hockey or a liability.

basketball is relevant still? How about handball? Water polo? Football? Aussie rules football? Irish rules football? Rugby? Polo? I'm sure I missed a few. Either way, none of them stand up. Well, football is pretty fun to watch.

Next to soccer, basketball is probably the most popular sport in the world and has had the most growth out of any sport in the last 20 years.

Oh, and you forgot curling….hahaha!

Josh

According to this you're way off (most watched sports): http://www.sporteology.com/...opular-sports-world/

According to this you're way off (most attended sports): http://en.wikipedia.org/...s_attendance_figures

According to this, after unorganized stats and non-Olympics sports are taken out, you're close, but you can obviously see the error in the results: http://www.topendsports.com/...port/federations.htm

More proof: http://www.topendsports.com/...pular-sport/fans.htm

Care to take your "geez I forgot about the rest of the world" statement back? Laugh

It's still more popular than hockey and you didn't address the growth of the sport. I forgot about cricket, but I didn't think that sports like volleyball, field hockey and tennis had more fans. And table tennis? Give me a break. And don't even get me started on golf.

All I really care about though, is that it's more popular than your sports. Ha!

Josh


Gmburns2000


Mar 10, 2014, 11:48 AM
Post #54 of 56 (855 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15215

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
In reply to:
I live in Brasil right now and I'm constantly trying to tell people here that hockey is essentially soccer on ice.

Well, we apparently agree on hockey's similarity to basketball, but we differ as to whether that is an asset for hockey or a liability.

basketball is relevant still? How about handball? Water polo? Football? Aussie rules football? Irish rules football? Rugby? Polo? I'm sure I missed a few. Either way, none of them stand up. Well, football is pretty fun to watch.

Next to soccer, basketball is probably the most popular sport in the world and has had the most growth out of any sport in the last 20 years.

Oh, and you forgot curling….hahaha!

Josh

According to this you're way off (most watched sports): http://www.sporteology.com/...opular-sports-world/

According to this you're way off (most attended sports): http://en.wikipedia.org/...s_attendance_figures

According to this, after unorganized stats and non-Olympics sports are taken out, you're close, but you can obviously see the error in the results: http://www.topendsports.com/...port/federations.htm

More proof: http://www.topendsports.com/...pular-sport/fans.htm

Care to take your "geez I forgot about the rest of the world" statement back? Laugh

It's still more popular than hockey and you didn't address the growth of the sport. I forgot about cricket, but I didn't think that sports like volleyball, field hockey and tennis had more fans. And table tennis? Give me a break. And don't even get me started on golf.

All I really care about though, is that it's more popular than your sports. Ha!

Josh

Actually, my sport is baseball. It appears the fastest growing sport is actually MMA.

But you can't argue these other sports. Countries with large populations count as much as countries with smaller populations. Each person is a person regardless. A significant part of Asia follows table tennis more passionately than NASCAR fans follow beer transmissions t-shirts that don't fit stock cars. In the US, lacrosse seems to be the fastest growing sport, along with kayaking. Who knew?


iknowfear


Mar 18, 2014, 5:22 AM
Post #55 of 56 (770 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 8, 2004
Posts: 649

Re: [Gmburns2000] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
In reply to:
I live in Brasil right now and I'm constantly trying to tell people here that hockey is essentially soccer on ice.

Well, we apparently agree on hockey's similarity to basketball, but we differ as to whether that is an asset for hockey or a liability.

basketball is relevant still? How about handball? Water polo? Football? Aussie rules football? Irish rules football? Rugby? Polo? I'm sure I missed a few. Either way, none of them stand up. Well, football is pretty fun to watch.

Next to soccer, basketball is probably the most popular sport in the world and has had the most growth out of any sport in the last 20 years.

Oh, and you forgot curling….hahaha!

Josh

According to this you're way off (most watched sports): http://www.sporteology.com/...opular-sports-world/

According to this you're way off (most attended sports): http://en.wikipedia.org/...s_attendance_figures

According to this, after unorganized stats and non-Olympics sports are taken out, you're close, but you can obviously see the error in the results: http://www.topendsports.com/...port/federations.htm

More proof: http://www.topendsports.com/...pular-sport/fans.htm

Care to take your "geez I forgot about the rest of the world" statement back? Laugh

It's still more popular than hockey and you didn't address the growth of the sport. I forgot about cricket, but I didn't think that sports like volleyball, field hockey and tennis had more fans. And table tennis? Give me a break. And don't even get me started on golf.

All I really care about though, is that it's more popular than your sports. Ha!

Josh

Actually, my sport is baseball. It appears the fastest growing sport is actually MMA.

But you can't argue these other sports. Countries with large populations count as much as countries with smaller populations. Each person is a person regardless. A significant part of Asia follows table tennis more passionately than NASCAR fans follow beer transmissions t-shirts that don't fit stock cars. In the US, lacrosse seems to be the fastest growing sport, along with kayaking. Who knew?
RandallMunroe wrote:



Gmburns2000


Mar 18, 2014, 9:20 AM
Post #56 of 56 (751 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15215

Re: [iknowfear] Why isn't anyone talking about this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

iknowfear wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
In reply to:
I live in Brasil right now and I'm constantly trying to tell people here that hockey is essentially soccer on ice.

Well, we apparently agree on hockey's similarity to basketball, but we differ as to whether that is an asset for hockey or a liability.

basketball is relevant still? How about handball? Water polo? Football? Aussie rules football? Irish rules football? Rugby? Polo? I'm sure I missed a few. Either way, none of them stand up. Well, football is pretty fun to watch.

Next to soccer, basketball is probably the most popular sport in the world and has had the most growth out of any sport in the last 20 years.

Oh, and you forgot curling….hahaha!

Josh

According to this you're way off (most watched sports): http://www.sporteology.com/...opular-sports-world/

According to this you're way off (most attended sports): http://en.wikipedia.org/...s_attendance_figures

According to this, after unorganized stats and non-Olympics sports are taken out, you're close, but you can obviously see the error in the results: http://www.topendsports.com/...port/federations.htm

More proof: http://www.topendsports.com/...pular-sport/fans.htm

Care to take your "geez I forgot about the rest of the world" statement back? Laugh

It's still more popular than hockey and you didn't address the growth of the sport. I forgot about cricket, but I didn't think that sports like volleyball, field hockey and tennis had more fans. And table tennis? Give me a break. And don't even get me started on golf.

All I really care about though, is that it's more popular than your sports. Ha!

Josh

Actually, my sport is baseball. It appears the fastest growing sport is actually MMA.

But you can't argue these other sports. Countries with large populations count as much as countries with smaller populations. Each person is a person regardless. A significant part of Asia follows table tennis more passionately than NASCAR fans follow beer transmissions t-shirts that don't fit stock cars. In the US, lacrosse seems to be the fastest growing sport, along with kayaking. Who knew?
RandallMunroe wrote:


Laugh


Forums : Climbing Information : General

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$12.56 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)
$12.56 (10% off)
$3.56 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook