Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wlderdude

Feb 11, 2005, 7:02 AM
Post #1 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Horizontal cam placement: the whole story
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If a cam is placed in a horizontal crack, does it matter if the outer lobes are up or down?

Many of us were taught that all things being equal (it does not fit better either way), to place it with the lobes down. Others never heard this, or have other reasons to believe that it really doesn't matter.

Well, this thread is to hopefully help resolve this question.

I will start with an analysis of the forces involved. Bear with me as it appears complicated (I show all the algebra), but in principle it is really very simple.

The following is just adding up all the forces. If the cam stays put (as we hope it will), the forces add up to zero.
I think you can click on the image to see the detail.
http://img203.exs.cx/...talcam20011zy.th.jpg
"P" represents the load applied along the stem of the cam with "b" representing the angle that the stem makes (off horizontal). It can be just the weight of the runner, biner and associated hardware, rope drag or a fall.
"F1" and "F2" are the forces of the rock against the cam, "F1" being the lower force. The cam angle is "a."
For the sake of making the math mean something, I used a cam angle of 13.75 degrees and assumed the stem to be 30 degrees off verticle.
With those angles, the force into the rock on the lower cam is about 33% greater than the upper cam lobe.

So what does that mean for keeping your cam from walking or other stabilty issues, well, we need more algebra.
This time, instead of summing forces, we sum what engineers call moments. Think of them as torques or twisting forces you get from pushing on a lever. The Bending Moment "M" will be the force times the length of the arm pushing on it, or "moment arm." They will add up to zero if the cam is to stay put. For this analysis, the moments are summed around the point where the cable attaches to the body of the cam.
http://img219.exs.cx/...zontalcam13nw.th.jpg"P" will now be a load pulling sideways on the cable with "moment arm" of length "l" (think levers) and rock the cam in a circle. Only 2 of the 4 lobes are in a position to stop it, one on each side. The fricitional forces acting on the 2 lobes are "R1" and "R2." The distance between the middle lobes and the center, and also the middle lobes and the outer lobes is represented as length "a." I assumed the distance to be equal to simplify the math and is not far off from a typical cam's geometry.
The maximum friction force is related to the force into the rock by the "coeficient of friction," represented by the greek letter mu (resembles a "u" with a tail or a sharp "m").

Did you follow any of that?

In the end you can see that putting the lobes downward does help a little (at least according to my calculations). Not enough to makea hard and fast rule about which way to orient the cam, but enough to give the outer lobes down an edge.

The lower picture is just another orientaion where stabilty could be an issue, although it would take some flukey loading to twist a cam out of the rock in a horizontal crack. The math will work out the same, but intution is stronger with the lower picture. Proabable because it resembels an SUV vs sports car wheel arrangement.

What this really means:
The lower lobes carry more downward force than the upper lobes. The outer lobes resist twisting and walking better. if you put the lower lobes down, you make the cam a little more stable and likely to stay put.

Okay, so what are the implications of the model?

Well, the lower lobes will be loaded more than the upper lobes in a way proportional to sin b. So, if the stem is horizontal, the lobes will all carry the same load. This would also be the case for a cam in a vertical crack. Therefore, if the crack is deep or the cam small and the stem is coming out straight, there really is not much difference.

But if the cam is shallow, making the angle large (remember 30 degrees was used in my calculations, which is not a very large angle), the advantages you get from having the wider lobes down will be greater.

However, note the terms on the left of the column of the second page. If you can lower "l" (lenght of the stem), or make "mu" (coeficient of friction) or "a" (space between lobes) higher, it will do more for you. Of course stiffer springs will help (which will just increase the force into the rock). None of these can really be changed, except maybe when you are buying the gear.

I could go on, but I don't want to spoil your fun.

What are some of the finer points of placing cams horizontaly?

Do you see anything wrong with the model (perhaps assumptions that aren't quite right). Algebraeic or conceptual mistakes are possible. Feel free to call me on them if you find any.

What does your intution tell you and how does it comapre with the math?

ajkclay

Feb 11, 2005, 7:24 AM
Post #2 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Re: Horizontal cam placement: the whole story [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

What does your intution tell you...?

Don't ask an engineer for advice, ever

:lol:

reprieve

Feb 11, 2005, 7:31 AM
Post #3 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in the first drawing, when summing all forces for newtown's 2nd law, you did not include the force of friction on the lobes or the gravitational force

curt

Feb 11, 2005, 7:48 AM
Post #4 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It looks to me like the "whole story" is that you would rather persist in disagreeing with the opinions of the people at Black Diamond, and Metolius, who actually engineered these cams, and who have offered their opinion (contrary to yours) on this topic--and also with other climbers who know far more than you do, than to admit you are wrong.

Curt

the_dude

Feb 11, 2005, 7:57 AM
Post #5 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds to me like you're arguing over an "ideal" placement that most likely you'll never encounter. In the real world look at the placements and see where the lobes fit best.

norushnomore

Feb 11, 2005, 8:37 AM
Post #6 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did spend a few min drawing forces as well just did not go as far quantifying them or posting results here.

Got very much the same result: forces are greater on lower lobes.
So unless lobes are opposed like in the newer flexcam (small sizes) you will get a twisting moment. And a cam placement with the outer lobes down will resist it better.

The deeper the cam placement the less it matters.
Bigger sizes twist easier: placing large friend with the outer lobes up in a a shallow horizontal crack might be a real issue (in fact it will twist right out, try it if you don't believe it).

papounet

Feb 11, 2005, 1:41 PM
Post #7 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It looks to me like the "whole story" is that you would rather persist in disagreeing with the opinions of the people at Black Diamond, and Metolius, who actually engineered these cams, and who have offered their opinion (contrary to yours) on this topic--and also with other climbers who know far more than you do, than to admit you are wrong.

Curt

hmmm, sorry to barge in.
Curt, you are using an "argument of authority" which is not valid till we know that the people who provided the answer from BD Metolius have actually "engineered" the cams (and not some Marketing undergraduate underdoing a traineeship in PR ;-) )

the maths speak for themselves.
I looked into this very matter during the analysis of the Tarquiz accident and did the same kind of math.
The manufacturer of fat cams did the same kind of computation
Actually, you can compute combination of force and angle of mis-aligned force for a given cam with given alloy and lobe surface that would increase the force to such a point that fragile rock would fracture and lead to protection failure.

in other words,
The same reason that make cam expand when force is applied to the stem dictates that not aligned force will transfer not equally to each cam lobe.

Ab absurdio, the extreme case is if the direction of the force is aligned with the direction between axle and lobe in contact with the rock, exactly 100% of the force is applied to this lobe and 0% to the other

you may want to read
http://www.wildcountry.co.uk/...try_Cam_Book_2Mb.pdf

It wouldn't be the first time that are debunked by a analysis done by an outsider. (Because it has to do with physics and beliefs, I am reminded of Gallilei's story, sorry)

So dear Curt, I respect your advice, burlyness and all of the virtues you display quite regularly on this forum. I would like to suggest you spend the time applying your intellect to the issue and come back with strong arguments.

best

aikibujin

Feb 11, 2005, 2:01 PM
Post #8 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"P" represents the load applied along the stem of the cam with "b" representing the angle that the stem makes (off horizontal). It can be just the weight of the runner, biner and associated hardware, rope drag or a fall.

So what does that mean for keeping your cam from walking or other stabilty issues, well, we need more algebra.

In the dynamic world, there are so many variables that changes from one second to the next, using just one set of diagrams is not enough to see all outcomes. For example, consider this: cam walking is generally caused by rope drag and slinging the cams too short. The climber's UPWARD progress places an upward and side to side movement to the cam's stem. The angle of b in this case could be 30 degrees ABOVE horizontal at the instant when the climber is experiencing rope drag. With this assumption, we follow all your calculations and get F2 is 33% greater than F1, and we can surmise that by placing the outer lobes UP in a horizontal crack, it will make the cam more resistant to walking caused by rope drag.

In reality, I think the system is too dynamic and too complex to say with certainty which way is better. My intuition tells me the difference is probably too small to consider when I'm trying to plug in a cam in a horizontal while worrying rope drag, direction of route, my next rest stance, and everything else that's on my mind at the moment.

curt

Feb 11, 2005, 2:17 PM
Post #9 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

In the dynamic world, there are so many variables that changes from one second to the next, using just one set of diagrams is not enough to see all outcomes. For example, consider this: cam walking is generally caused by rope drag and slinging the cams too short. The climber's UPWARD progress places an upward and side to side movement to the cam's stem. The angle of b in this case could be 30 degrees ABOVE horizontal at the instant when the climber is experiencing rope drag. With this assumption, we follow all your calculations and get F2 is 33% greater than F1, and we can surmise that by placing the outer lobes UP in a horizontal crack, it will make the cam more resistant to walking caused by rope drag.

In reality, I think the system is too dynamic and too complex to say with certainty which way is better. My intuition tells me the difference is probably too small to consider when I'm trying to plug in a cam in a horizontal while worrying rope drag, direction of route, my next rest stance, and everything else that's on my mind at the moment.

Not only is this true, but with a stiff cam stem (as found on forged friends, for example) the force applied to the upper cams in a fall can easily exceed that put on the lower cams because the stem itself acts as a sort of "lever" to transfer the force. This can be true even if the cam is properly tied off short--through one of the lightening holes.

Also, unlike papounet, I do not believe that both Black Diamond and Metolius got the answer wrong. Even "marketing" types tend to go and get the correct answer before replying to a question like this in public.

Finally, please recall that the OP in the other "cam orientation" thread was asking, in general if it matters whether the outer cams are oriented up or down. wlderdude claims that it does, but his own analysis here is for a special and limited case....

In reply to:
Many of us were taught that all things being equal (it does not fit better either way), to place it with the lobes down. Others never heard this, or have other reasons to believe that it really doesn't matter.

The special case being where the camming unit does not fit better into the horizontal crack one way or the other. Usually, a camming unit will fit better one way or the other, in real life. My original response to the OP in the other thread was that placing the cam into the horizontal crack which ever way it fits better is more important than whether the outer cams are placed up or down.

Curt

wlderdude

Feb 11, 2005, 4:37 PM
Post #10 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
in the first drawing, when summing all forces for newtown's 2nd law, you did not include the force of friction on the lobes or the gravitational force

That is a very keen observation.
Congratualtions.

As far as weight is concerned, it will act at the center mass in the y dirrection. It will probably be somewhere close to the axle (at least for large cams, which was one f the assumptions). This would put just alittle more force in the downward dirrection on the lower lobes. I doubt it would be significant, but it might be if it were a non C4 Camalot, right? Hey, if the angle isn't big, none of this stuff is significant.

For friction, it will just be the x component of the F1 and F2 terms. It was included, it just wasn't tagged.

In the shower today I realized that where I drew the R vectors on the second page was not quite right. It does not change the equations, though, so the results still look fine.
If you are looking for conceptual mistakes, look up there.

In reply to:
In reply to:
consider this: cam walking is generally caused by rope drag and slinging the cams too short. The climber's UPWARD progress places an upward and side to side movement to the cam's stem. The angle of b in this case could be 30 degrees ABOVE horizontal at the instant when the climber is experiencing rope drag. With this assumption, we follow all your calculations and get F2 is 33% greater than F1, and we can surmise that by placing the outer lobes UP in a horizontal crack, it will make the cam more resistant to walking caused by rope drag.
Not only is this true, but with a stiff cam stem (as found on forged friends, for example) the force applied to the upper cams in a fall can easily exceed that put on the lower cams because the stem itself acts as a sort of "lever" to transfer the force. This can be true even if the cam is properly tied off short--through one of the lightening holes.

The point about upward pull is a good one. I hope everybody heard it.
Anyone will glady concede that an idealized model won't tell you eveything about a system. Just take it for what it is worth and see what you can learn.

As far as the rigid friend loading the upper lobes more, I can't say I follow you. True, the forged friends use a bar that will act as a beam instead of a cable, so the assumption that the load acts in the dirrection of the stem no longer holds. Are you saying that the stem pushing on the rock will transmit a shear into the bar, which the upper lobes will have to offset? I would be interested to see that problem worked out. I wouldn't trust my intution on that one. It would take a moment balance to make it statically determinate.

And by the way, dynamics only come into play when the cam has already moved. before then, it is all statics (what is being discussed here). The dynamics of a system this stiff and not all that complicated and may carry a few small suprises. Let's see if we can find some.

curt

Feb 11, 2005, 5:07 PM
Post #11 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As far as the rigid friend loading the upper lobes more, I can't say I follow you. True, the forged friends use a bar that will act as a beam instead of a cable, so the assumption that the load acts in the dirrection of the stem no longer holds. Are you saying that the stem pushing on the rock will transmit a shear into the bar, which the upper lobes will have to offset? I would be interested to see that problem worked out. I wouldn't trust my intution on that one. It would take a moment balance to make it statically determinate.

I am just saying that a rigid cam stem can act as a simple first class lever and transmit force upwards to the upper cams, when a load is applied downwards to the stem. This merely requires that the placement be deep enough so that the fulcrum formed by the crack's edge is somewhere between the cam tie in point and the cams themselves. Here's a pic that may help.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=33042

If the lower edge of the horizontal crack is in a similar relationship to the cam as my kitchen countertop is here in the photo, the stem will act as a lever.

Curt

curt

Feb 11, 2005, 5:07 PM
Post #12 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I am just saying that a rigid cam stem can act as a simple first class lever and transmit force upwards to the upper cams, when a load is applied downwards to the stem. This merely requires that the placement be deep enough so that the fulcrum formed by the crack's edge is somewhere between the cam tie in point and the cams themselves. Here's a pic that may help.

If the lower edge of the horizontal crack is in a similar relationship to the cam as my kitchen countertop is here in the photo, the stem will act as a lever.

Curt

curt

Feb 11, 2005, 5:09 PM
Post #13 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Curt

wlderdude

Feb 11, 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #14 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That makes sence.
I would proabably want the wider lobes up in that situation, all other things being equal of course. The stem is pretty well flat anyways.

I only have 1 Forged Friend (#4, the largest), so I am glad you posted a picture. Is the same lever configuration possible with a larger cam? I doubt I could get my #4 to lever over an edge like that tied in short.

trenchdigger

Feb 11, 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #15 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Others correct me if I'm wrong, but don't cams with wider spaced lobes walk easier?

Cams walk into the crack, not outward. Plus walking generally occurs when the cam is not loaded.

Yes, when acted on with a moment, one side of the cam will resist getting pulled outward, but that resistance just pushes the opposite side of the cam inward. The only resistance to that is the spring force of the cam. The greater the spacing between the lobes, the more likely the cam is to walk a greater distance with less stem movement.

As far as I can tell, the rest of your argument proves nothing regarding whether a cam is "better" placed one way or another.

In my engineering opinion, I would agree with BD in suggesting that the benefit of placing a cam one way over another is negligible.

~Adam~

papounet

Feb 11, 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #16 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks curt for the picture establishing clearly the interest of tieing short rigid stem friends.

It also allow us to put a plausible maximum angle of misalignment on simple "everything equal" setup:

picture a horizontal plank above your kitchen board, as if we had a "letterbox" slot in which to put the friend,
the friend is inserted horizontally, each lobe goes the same depth,
if we where to pull on the stem horizonally, each side up and down would get the same force (neglecting weight of the friend)
if we were to pull on the stem as it is resting naturally against the bottom but without a lever effect thanks to the tie-in
the angle of misalignment will be determined by the triangle
axle, stem contact point with bottom, stem contact projection on the horizontal plane (the point where the stem should have been).

The closer the tie-in to the axle, the less chance of leverage, the greater the misalignment.
The deeper the friend, the less misalignment, the less unequal force.

OK, so does it matter ??
I do not have the dimensions of a cam with me
but let's take length of stem till lip of letterbox = 10cm
and 1/2 height of properly opened cam = 1 cm
tan(a) = 1/10 a= 5 degrees => no need to worry
1/2 heigth of cam =2.5 cm , a~= 15 degrees
1/2 heigth of cam =5 cm , a~= 30 degrees, in that case the lower lobes get 33% more force than the upper lobes.

in "proper english", it means that if the axle is as deep as the cam is opened in a horizontal slot, despite tie-off, one risk unequal loading of upper vs. lower cam lobes .

I would have to get a picture to make this clearer I am afraid

bandycoot

Feb 11, 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #17 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, this is a great discussion from all sides. :D

veganboyjosh

Feb 12, 2005, 12:10 AM
Post #18 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This merely requires that the placement be deep enough so that the fulcrum formed by the crack's edge is somewhere between the cam tie in point and the cams themselves. Here's a pic that may help.

first lemme say that i bow to all the engineers on this site and am usually entertained reading the physics/etc breakdowns of how gear works...
the extent of my knowledge regarding levers forces, etc.. is severely limited.

with that out of the way,

curt, wouldn't the fulcrum always be between the tie in point and the cam lobes? unless you tied into the cam somewhere that was closer to the lobes than the edge?

buckyllama

Feb 12, 2005, 1:25 AM
Post #19 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I skimmed your math and it looks correct. I ran the same numbers about 5 or 6 years ago and came up with the same conclusions so either we made the same mistake, or we are both right.

A few points to ponder though:

If we assume that the bottom lobes take more force than the upper lobes in this scenerio as your model suggests, then we may be better off placing the inner lobes down for single stem cams, or the outer lobes down for dual-stem. This reduces the bending moment on the axle of the cam and is less likely to cause a failure (remote possibility but all this is so theoretical ... hey ... why not)

Also with regards to the "walking" scenerio, cams walk when they are unloaded and subjected to rope drag which moves the stem inplane with the crack. Placing either set of lobes up or down will have no predictable effect since it's impossible to tell what the position of the stem will be in in this case. (rope drag could pull it up and left for example as easily as down)

When a cam is loaded, having the inner lobes down will allow it to pivot more as the force is applied and therefore it may pivot more inline with the force vector. This is a good thing.

Conclusion....
In the real world... it doesn't matter. (But I think everybody knows this ... the math is just fun)

curt

Feb 12, 2005, 1:44 AM
Post #20 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
This merely requires that the placement be deep enough so that the fulcrum formed by the crack's edge is somewhere between the cam tie in point and the cams themselves. Here's a pic that may help.

first lemme say that i bow to all the engineers on this site and am usually entertained reading the physics/etc breakdowns of how gear works...
the extent of my knowledge regarding levers forces, etc.. is severely limited.

with that out of the way,

curt, wouldn't the fulcrum always be between the tie in point and the cam lobes? unless you tied into the cam somewhere that was closer to the lobes than the edge?

All you have to do is push the camming unit a little deeper into the horizontal crack--to get that same effect. Look at the picture again and imagine what happens if you push the unit one inch further onto the counter top. Now you have the force generated in a fall being applied between the fulcrum (still the edge of the horizontal crack) and the cams, instead of the fulcrum of the lever being between the downward force of the fall and the cams, as it is now. Essentially the first class lever has now become a third class lever.

Curt

cadaverchris

Feb 12, 2005, 1:55 AM
Post #21 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and to think most climbers i know have enough trouble figuring out how much to tip at a restaurant

nice job fellas

napoleon_in_rags

Feb 12, 2005, 2:03 AM
Post #22 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If this was a placement where both cam orientations had an equally good fit, and not considering whether the cams are going to walk, I would rather fall on a placement with the wider lobes up just because that would spread the force of the fall over a slightly greater area. I think the placement would be more stable, to.

dirtineye

Feb 12, 2005, 4:16 AM
Post #23 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, wlderdude asked for comments, here's mine.

First, your model shows two things we already knew but still, good! Deep cams are better than shallow cams, and overcammed is better than undrcammed.

Now, you used 30 degrees, which might be OK for a largish cam placed shallow, but is way too big for small cams placed deeper and well cammed and is probably too small for great big cams.

You neglected to take into account the effect of the edge of the horizontal on a flex stem. Can't say I blame you on that one, but still, it will make a difference.

We still don't know if 33% greater force on two lobes means anything to the cam's reliable functioning, but certainly on a very large cam, in a horizontal, with a much larger angle on the stem, the force will be much greater. This particular case seems important. Maybe cams are built to deal for this greater force in certain placements?

Finally, the rotational problem is very serious. Consider that even for a cam in a vertical crack, if that cam is poorly placed or walks into a non horizontal allignment, then under the falling force that cam will likely begin to rotate back to a horizontal allignment, and during that time two lobes are all that is doing the holding, as two others are walking in the wrong direction.

nicklikesfire

Feb 12, 2005, 5:33 AM
Post #24 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If a cam is placed in a horizontal crack, does it matter if the outer lobes are up or down?

Well, this thread is to hopefully help resolve this question.

I will start with an analysis of the forces involved. Bear with me as it appears complicated (I show all the algebra), but in principle it is really very simple.

The following is just adding up all the forces. If the cam stays put (as we hope it will), the forces add up to zero.
I think you can click on the image to see the detail.
http://img203.exs.cx/...talcam20011zy.th.jpg
"F1" and "F2" are the forces of the rock against the cam, "F1" being the lower force. The cam angle is "a."
For the sake of making the math mean something, I used a cam angle of 13.75 degrees and assumed the stem to be 30 degrees off verticle.
With those angles, the force into the rock on the lower cam is about 33% greater than the upper cam lobe.

This time, instead of summing forces, we sum what engineers call moments. Think of them as torques or twisting forces you get from pushing on a lever. The Bending Moment "M" will be the force times the length of the arm pushing on it, or "moment arm." They will add up to zero if the cam is to stay put. For this analysis, the moments are summed around the point where the cable attaches to the body of the cam.
http://img219.exs.cx/...zontalcam13nw.th.jpg"P" will now be a load pulling sideways on the cable with "moment arm" of length "l" (think levers) and rock the cam in a circle. Only 2 of the 4 lobes are in a position to stop it, one on each side. The fricitional forces acting on the 2 lobes are "R1" and "R2." The distance between the middle lobes and the center, and also the middle lobes and the outer lobes is represented as length "a." I assumed the distance to be equal to simplify the math and is not far off from a typical cam's geometry.
The maximum friction force is related to the force into the rock by the "coeficient of friction," represented by the greek letter mu (resembles a "u" with a tail or a sharp "m").

Did you follow any of that?

In the end you can see that putting the lobes downward does help a little (at least according to my calculations). Not enough to makea hard and fast rule about which way to orient the cam, but enough to give the outer lobes down an edge.

The lower picture is just another orientaion where stabilty could be an issue, although it would take some flukey loading to twist a cam out of the rock in a horizontal crack. The math will work out the same, but intution is stronger with the lower picture. Proabable because it resembels an SUV vs sports car wheel arrangement.

What this really means:
The lower lobes carry more downward force than the upper lobes. The outer lobes resist twisting and walking better. if you put the lower lobes down, you make the cam a little more stable and likely to stay put.

Okay, so what are the implications of the model?

Well, the lower lobes will be loaded more than the upper lobes in a way proportional to sin b. So, if the stem is horizontal, the lobes will all carry the same load. This would also be the case for a cam in a vertical crack. Therefore, if the crack is deep or the cam small and the stem is coming out straight, there really is not much difference.

But if the cam is shallow, making the angle large (remember 30 degrees was used in my calculations, which is not a very large angle), the advantages you get from having the wider lobes down will be greater.

However, note the terms on the left of the column of the second page. If you can lower "l" (lenght of the stem), or make "mu" (coeficient of friction) or "a" (space between lobes) higher, it will do more for you. Of course stiffer springs will help (which will just increase the force into the rock). None of these can really be changed, except maybe when you are buying the gear.

I could go on, but I don't want to spoil your fun.

What are some of the finer points of placing cams horizontaly?

Do you see anything wrong with the model (perhaps assumptions that aren't quite right). Algebraeic or conceptual mistakes are possible. Feel free to call me on them if you find any.

What does your intution tell you and how does it comapre with the math?

Nice math, great post. I was going to do that FBD out, but after drawing a cam I decided to play GTA3 instead.

Don't worry Curt, I will not just blindly place cams wide lobes downward.

wlderdude

Feb 14, 2005, 4:29 PM
Post #25 of 27 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks curt for the picture establishing clearly the interest of tieing short rigid stem friends.

It also allow us to put a plausible maximum angle of misalignment on simple "everything equal" setup:

picture a horizontal plank above your kitchen board, as if we had a "letterbox" slot in which to put the friend,
the friend is inserted horizontally, each lobe goes the same depth,
if we where to pull on the stem horizonally, each side up and down would get the same force (neglecting weight of the friend)
if we were to pull on the stem as it is resting naturally against the bottom but without a lever effect thanks to the tie-in
the angle of misalignment will be determined by the triangle
axle, stem contact point with bottom, stem contact projection on the horizontal plane (the point where the stem should have been).

The closer the tie-in to the axle, the less chance of leverage, the greater the misalignment.
The deeper the friend, the less misalignment, the less unequal force.

OK, so does it matter ??
I do not have the dimensions of a cam with me
but let's take length of stem till lip of letterbox = 10cm
and 1/2 height of properly opened cam = 1 cm
tan(a) = 1/10 a= 5 degrees => no need to worry
1/2 heigth of cam =2.5 cm , a~= 15 degrees
1/2 heigth of cam =5 cm , a~= 30 degrees, in that case the lower lobes get 33% more force than the upper lobes.

in "proper english", it means that if the axle is as deep as the cam is opened in a horizontal slot, despite tie-off, one risk unequal loading of upper vs. lower cam lobes .

I would have to get a picture to make this clearer I am afraid

I am afraid so. I don't follow you at all.
It sounds interesting, though, so please see if you can put together an image you can post.
imageshack.com has free image hosting. That is who I used. All you need is a good pen and a scanner to get a drawing on the web. Oh, drivers for the scanner don't hurt.

There are some really good thoughts rolling around here. I think we are getting closer to the "whole story" I was hoping we would converge on. Maybe we are diverging, but at least we are learning.

Some interesting points are being made regarding the lever effect of the stem.
Modeling the lever on a rigid stem Friend is easy, as it is a beam.
If you look closely at how curt has his Friend placed in the "crack," you will notice that virtually all the load of a downward fall would be shear load on the stem, and the lobes would hold the load at all but just hold the stem in place. It is a special case, as the small rigid Friends with the crack roughly the same size as the lobes appears the only way to make the situation work.

Modeling the typical cable stem is well beyond my understanding of mechanics. With any luck someone with background in compliant mechanisms can chime in.

The trouble stems (no pun intended) from the fact that the stem cannot be modeled as an ideal cable nor a rigid beam. Cables can only transfer plain old tension along their dirrection. This is how I modeled it.
A beam can transmit bending moments (such as one would need for a lever), which a short stiff length of cable can only do a little of. They bend more than they let the bending forces through.

Do you agree or do you think it would be best to think of the stem as a beam with low bending stiffness? That would be messy to model as modulus (stiffness) along the cable would be different from the across dirrection, but it could be done.

As the loads in the models we are throwing around are fairly arbitary, you could always resolve the actaul loads into loads represented in the model. For example, if the stem is down, but there is a larger upward pull than down, the angle "b" would go negative. Also, if the cable flexed with the sideways pull, it could still be reduced to force pulling perfectly perpendicular for the sake of a moment balance. (Nice observation dirtineye, and cool name) So, the equations still work, but perhaps not the conclusions drawn from them.

This is fun.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook