RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

cragb

Feb 15, 2005, 4:52 AM
Post #1 of 13 (4861 views)
Shortcut

Henry Barber
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can anybody direct me to some info or crazy anecdotes about Henry Barber?? I got a school project to do on him --- looking for jaw-dropping info on this old-school badass..... help is much appreciated..

shakylegs

Feb 15, 2005, 2:30 PM
Post #2 of 13 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Re: Henry Barber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Doesn't use cams? Or so I've heard.
Is now apparently a rep for Black Diamond, if I'm not mistaken. Often calls in sick, or is "meeting with a client," i.e. the weather's too nice so he's off climbing.
You might want to ask this question on neclimbs.com as well.

Partner devkrev

Feb 15, 2005, 4:29 PM
Post #3 of 13 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey hey,
Wasn't there an interview with him in the Rock and Ice ethics issue? I'm sure you can get tons of info from there
later
dev

scarpenter

Feb 15, 2005, 11:13 PM
Post #4 of 13 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very good badass anecdotes in the R&I Ethics issue!

stashyboy

Feb 15, 2005, 11:54 PM
Post #5 of 13 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"On Edge" is Henry's biography written by one of his climbing partner's Chip Lee, and has many stories of freeing sick routes all over the world. Written in 1982 just as 'Hot Henry's' career had peaked. :) It may be a bit bias on certain sensitive issues (see the book for details) Definately worth reading if you contemplate a paper on the man.
-M

jsj42

Feb 16, 2005, 12:52 AM
Post #6 of 13 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's one:

When Henry showed up at Mt. Arapiles he pretty much tore the place up. My personal favorite story is that of Thundercrack: a crowd gathered to watch Hot Henry attempt to free this famous aid line, and as he climbed up his only piece of pro was a sling around a horn... as he climbed past the sling, he paused for a moment, looked down at the crowd below, and said, "is anyone going to follow this?" Everyone just looked around at each other trying to be as inconspicuous as possible. When no one stepped up to the plate, Henry reached down and kicked the sling free, and then soloed to the top without pro.

He freed a lot of the hardest lines of the day at Arapiles - Reaper, Kama Sutra, Squeekeasy, etc. On "A Taste of Honey" (5.11-), he actually did the signature traverse using his feet on a what is now a hand rail, undercling a seam above... People say that done this way it goes at 5.12--perhaps the first 5.12 in OZ. I believe he almost (all but one move) freed Manic Depressive at Bundaleer, which is now 5.11+/5.12-.

ambler

Feb 16, 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #7 of 13 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Very good badass anecdotes in the R&I Ethics issue!
I'd recommend this R&I interview not just for the badass anecdotes, but for some background on Henry's ideas -- his vision of what climbing should be, which lies behind the anecdotes and the breakthrough leads too.

bvb

Feb 16, 2005, 1:00 AM
Post #8 of 13 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you really want to get into the complexties of barber, you need to dig up:

the old documentary showing him on-sight soloing strand at gogarth;

read up on the controversy surrounding his attempt on the breach wall, and the attendand book, "the breach";

note for the record he was the most well-travelled american rock climber as of the mid-to-late '70's, and routinely added several grades to the top end at any area he visited;

the back-stories to his f.a.'s of butterballs and fish crack are intruiging;

his on-sight solo of the steck-salathe was declared by robbins to be "an act of vision";

his egomania approched pathology;

do some homework. you'll discover an amazing human being.

Partner jammer

Feb 16, 2005, 2:24 AM
Post #9 of 13 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Can anybody direct me to some info or crazy anecdotes about Henry Barber?? I got a school project to do on him --- looking for jaw-dropping info on this old-school badass..... help is much appreciated..

You've chosen the one person I'd like to climb with, if I could choose someone. The book can be found by googleing "On Edge: The Life & Climbs of Henry Barber". I'd be interested in a copy of your paper when you are finished.

Alan

Partner philbox

Feb 16, 2005, 2:36 AM
Post #10 of 13 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Further to bvb`s comment re Hot Henry adding several grades to any area he visited. Henry also tore up Frog Buttress. Many wonderful lines were freed at this crack mecca. One notable exception is a climb called "The one that got away" in reference to the FFA spree that saw a huge amount of climbs FFAd but he missed that one. Awesome climb too. The current guide book for the area sees many references to Barber in it.

slobmonster

Feb 16, 2005, 3:11 AM
Post #11 of 13 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=43971

slobmonster

Feb 16, 2005, 3:13 AM
Post #12 of 13 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Henry is still alive and kicking.

Anecdotes? The most interesting stories I have are from 2 summers ago, when Henry involved himself in a local (North Conway) bolting controversy.

I found it interesting that he could not understand where all these climbers are coming from, especially as he has made his livelihood from promoting climbing (and climbing gear) in one way or another, for quite a long time, and the living he's made from it all has been quite good to him, apparently.

Hates bolts; can't (won't) understand, or even acknowledge, that sometimes a bolt might be alright, ethically and aesthetically. Not shy of tooting his own horn. Loudly.

The word on the street that in Henry's case, a swami was just fine because his gut kept it from sliding up and asphixiating him.

dough

Feb 18, 2005, 1:39 PM
Post #13 of 13 (4860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The man also loves his beer. He didn't get the gut sucking lollipops.

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook