Forums: Community: Campground:
Egos and Icons, and the departure of Curt.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

slavetogravity

Feb 17, 2005, 9:28 PM
Post #1 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Egos and Icons, and the departure of Curt.
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you ever felt that here at RC.com that, even though you’ve never met a particular user, you've been around long enough you begin to feel that you know them. Well I was saddened to learn today that one user who I’ve felt I've goten to know, and held a lot of respect for has decided to pack up and leave our ranks. Curt has gone, and if you take a look at his profile you’ll find that all of his photos are gone as well. When it comes to the moderation of this site I honestly don’t have much to complain about. I don’t complain because I know that without the rules that govern RC.com, this site would suck. Trolls and hackers would attack the threads making them unreadable and ultimately useless.
On occasion people act like jerks. And when someone does you wrong, you do what ever you feel is necessary to defend you self. But even though someone’s done you wrong, that doesn’t mean you have free reign to do what ever you like in your defence. If Curt crossed the line defending him self and was called on it, my hope is that he would learn to let go of his pride and see the errors of his ways.
In the end his choices for leaving where his own. But why leave? And why take all your stuff with you? The sad truth is that with Curts departure it’s the uses of this site, those who had nothing to do with idiotic fight, who are the real losers. They loose the useful, and increasingly rare, information and insight that Curt could provide.
So who do I blame for Curts departure? Well, I don’t blame the moderators. I realize they have a tough job to do and I’d rather see Curt, or anyone for that matter be tarpitted, then see RC.com be governed by double standards and nepotism. I’m sorry to say that I blame Curt for Curts departure.
Even though we never met, I held a lot of respect for the man. My hope is he’ll chose to let go of his pride, take the higher ground and return some day.

If not. Then I’m sorry to say good buy.
RC.com won’t be the same without you.

Sincerely, Aaron Kristiansen. BC Canada.

Partner amber

Feb 17, 2005, 9:32 PM
Post #2 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Re: Egos and Icons, and the departure of Curt. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
than see RC.com be governed by double standards and nepotism.

too late, but it's a great sentiment.

Partner euroford

Feb 17, 2005, 9:38 PM
Post #3 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, i missed out on some drama around here.

i was out climbing. oops. i should be more carefull about thank kind of thing.

i'll sum up my viewpoint:

"that sucks"

Partner one900johnnyk

Feb 17, 2005, 9:46 PM
Post #4 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what was the issue exactly, i must have missed it to. this is what happens when people take this site too seriously... which most people who post in community on a regular basis do, it seems... to think that leaving a website forum for good would seem like some kind of statement just sucks...

Partner tgreene

Feb 17, 2005, 9:47 PM
Post #5 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Even though we never met, I held a lot of respect for the man. My hope is he’ll chose to let go of his pride, take the higher ground and return some day.

^ What he said!!! :(

madriver

Feb 17, 2005, 9:49 PM
Post #6 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...wtf!! whaa happened?

Partner tisar

Feb 17, 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #7 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...wtf!! whaa happened?

Just if you missed the plot (see the "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Off To The Tarpitt I Go!" thread, page 4):

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
I was just tarpitted for the first time today. So, I'll see you all in an hour or so. Apparantly, if someone tells you multiple times in a thread to go "f--- yourself" and you respond with something less than hugs and kisses--you will be tarpitted. Just a word to the wise....

Curt

HMMM...

Damn you guys, I've been trying to get tarpited or worse for years. What's your secret?

Blowmeharder said he got 5, count em, FIVE warnings from mods during his little emeticfest, hell, I was right in there with him, or so I thought, and nobody said a word.

Curt barely says f--- YOU and gets the la brea dunking.

Am I just ineffectual as a true tarpit worthy asshole?

Curt, BV Rutherford, 1995, cabernet, ohhh sooo good.

I am done posting here, for real. I have deleted my photos and most of the content in my profile. Since the powers that be here obviously don't think my contributions to the site outweighed my occasional gaffe, as evidenced by my tarpit today, there is really no point in sticking around.

If any of you want to contact me in the future -

curtshannon@mindspring.com

- works, and I also post on a couple of the other climbing related boards. This really isn't a big deal, so there is no point in trying to make it one. I hope that you all have some exceptional experiences in your climbing endeavours, as I have, and that you stay safe.

Curt

Sad, sad world....

- Daniel

jono

Feb 17, 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #8 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that sucks, ive seen a lot of people go around here for similar reasons.

caughtinside

Feb 17, 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #9 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What? You mean that RC.com has gradually been alienating/tarpitting/banning it's core contributers? No way! :lol:

It's only a matter of time. Curt isn't the first, and he won't be the last. The noticable decline in the number of knowledgeable climbers who contribute to RC will only lead to this becoming a dull, uninformative site.

Hey mods, whose next? :P

jumpingrock

Feb 17, 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #10 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What? You mean that RC.com has gradually been alienating/tarpitting/banning it's core contributers? No way! :lol:

It's only a matter of time. Curt isn't the first, and he won't be the last. The noticable decline in the number of knowledgeable climbers who contribute to RC will only lead to this becoming a dull, uninformative site.

Hey mods, whose next? :P

Ah but there will always be community. And dull it is not.

reno

Feb 17, 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #11 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking as a user, not as a mod:

I'm sorry that Curt chose to leave the site, but the choice was his to make.

There are still many great folks on this site. They still offer many great insights, opinions, views, and commentary.

Curt is a big boy, and can make his own decisions.

slavetogravity

Feb 18, 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #12 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What? You mean that RC.com has gradually been alienating/tarpitting/banning it's core contributers? No way!

I learnt not that long ago, no matter how valuable you think you are, you’re still expendable. When it comes to the future of RC.com I’m not too worried. Beginners will come of age, and share their experience. Current uses with experience (perhaps even me) will burn out and lose interest. New climbers of all experience levels will join our ranks. But regardless of who comes and who goes, who burn out or fades away. What ever contributions you make will always be here for other members to use and enjoy. That is unless you pull a Curt, and yank everything you’ve ever contributed out of some act of vengeance.

caughtinside

Feb 18, 2005, 12:25 AM
Post #13 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That is unless you pull a Curt, and yank everything you’ve ever contributed out of some act of vengeance.

Why would you leave valuable content somewhere where the management doesn't respect you, and therefore, it?

What if Pete took all his material down? What if others who contributed to the ROutes DB did?

RC probably will always be around... until something better comes along.

Maybe it's just the natural cycle though. I'm losing interest in RC, while my interest in climbing has grown. I've learned a lot from the site, and met some great folks. But lots of those folks are gone now, and I don't seem to have quite the tolerance for these inane community threads that some do...

jono

Feb 18, 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #14 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^ditto

Partner camhead

Feb 18, 2005, 12:33 AM
Post #15 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

#1 I've tried like hell to get tarpitted, been quite obnoxious, and gotten nothing but perhaps a mild reprimand from philbox via PM.

#2 curt's posts were among the more entertaining to read, and well-written.

#3 this site is overmoderated, and can't decide whether it wants to be a cooperative, user-supported website, or a corporate, commercial entity.

#4 TARPIT ME!!!! TARPIT ME!!!!!! ANALGOATSEXMEATHOOKPEDERAST!!! I SPILLED JESUS ALL OVER THE BATHROOM!!!!! TABASCO SAUCE, GRAPENUTS, AND KY JELLY!!!! THIS SITE IS NOTHING MORE THAN A MEETING HALL FOR REPRESSED ATTENTION-WHORES WHO SPRAY, DENIGRATE OTHERS, ACCENTUATE THE NEGATIVE, AND HAVE THE COMPREHENSION AND ATTENTION SPANS OF A FUCKING MIDGET MONGOLOID AMPUTEE ON RIDALIN!!!! FUCK!!!!!! JUST TARPIT ME!!!!!

kachoong

Feb 18, 2005, 12:43 AM
Post #16 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
#4 TARPIT ME!!!! TARPIT ME!!!!!! ANALGOATSEXMEATHOOKPEDERAST!!! I SPILLED JESUS ALL OVER THE BATHROOM!!!!! TABASCO SAUCE, GRAPENUTS, AND KY JELLY!!!! THIS SITE IS NOTHING MORE THAN A MEETING HALL FOR REPRESSED ATTENTION-WHORES WHO SPRAY, DENIGRATE OTHERS, ACCENTUATE THE NEGATIVE, AND HAVE THE COMPREHENSION AND ATTENTION SPANS OF A f---ing MIDGET MONGOLOID AMPUTEE ON RIDALIN!!!! f---!!!!!! JUST TARPIT ME!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: ....just in case the filters missed it the first time....

jt512

Feb 18, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #17 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Outside of Community the forums are dominated by repetitive questions from illiterate, adolescent n00bs, who think that they can learn to rock climb by asking stupid questions on the internet. Thus, the site is already dull and uninformative. The forums are the centerpiece of this website, and likely always will be. Unfortunately, management has not invested in infrastructure -- such as a FAQ and a really good forum search function -- necessary to transform the forums from what is little better than a teen chat room into a venue that would attract serious, experienced climbers, rather than repel them.

-Jay

Partner one900johnnyk

Feb 18, 2005, 12:59 AM
Post #18 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Outside of Community the forums are dominated by repetitive questions from illiterate, adolescent n00bs, who think that they can learn to rock climb by asking stupid questions on the internet. Thus, the site is already dull and uninformative. The forums are the centerpiece of this website, and likely always will be. Unfortunately, management has not invested in infrastructure -- such as a FAQ and a really good forum search function -- necessary to transform the forums from what is little better than a teen chat room into a venue that would attract serious, experienced climbers, rather than repel them.

-Jay

uhhh.. community's pretty much full of shit too.

ps does anyone know who the moron is who tarpitted curt?

wingnut

Feb 18, 2005, 1:35 AM
Post #19 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay

uhhh.. community's pretty much full of s--- too.

ps does anyone know who the moron is who tarpitted curt?

YES YES YES!!! If we can't get him back, then we should at least find out who did it.

livingtheedge

Feb 18, 2005, 1:45 AM
Post #20 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ill second that!! And if tomorrow I find that I cant type on here anymore so be it... And as a possible last post I would like to raise my imaginary scotch glass to curt in one last thanks to all he contributed to this site and all that I learned from him... Is it alright if i drink brandy out of the scotch glass instead?? Im not big on scotch.

Partner one900johnnyk

Feb 18, 2005, 2:03 AM
Post #21 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
YES YES YES!!! If we can't get him back, then we should at least find out who did it.

haha. yeah, presumably the person who did it shouldn't have any problems owning up to it... maybe there was a discussion around it i don't know how the non sensical opeations end of this fuckin site works..

dirtineye

Feb 18, 2005, 2:52 AM
Post #22 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't see how a lynching would help anything.

But, it is a bit of a shock to learn that one person can tar pit, without confirmation from some sort of oversight group.

kachoong

Feb 18, 2005, 3:02 AM
Post #23 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

....I think the issue here is that he chose to leave.... that the tarpitting was the falafel that broke the camels back, so to speak.... he obviously had other issues and reasons to leave....

....this is also a good point:
In reply to:
Maybe it's just the natural cycle though. I'm losing interest in RC, while my interest in climbing has grown. I've learned a lot from the site, and met some great folks. But lots of those folks are gone now, and I don't seem to have quite the tolerance for these inane community threads that some do...
....also while the site was down a few weeks back, I think actual climbing increased as people started to rub their eyes and venture outside.... but yeah, it's a cycle that will continue regardless....

timstich

Feb 18, 2005, 3:36 AM
Post #24 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like supertacos and boldering are going to suck up all of the funny ones. Ha ha ha! You'll kick out blowboarder soon enough, I'm sure, and then back to his old stomping grounds he'll go.

What you guys and gals that split need to do is leave us a link to the places you frequent, not just an e-mail address.

Partner amber

Feb 18, 2005, 3:47 AM
Post #25 of 209 (11285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Looks like supertacos and boldering are going to suck up all of the funny ones. Ha ha ha! You'll kick out blowboarder soon enough, I'm sure, and then back to his old stomping grounds he'll go.

What you guys and gals that split need to do is leave us a link to the places you frequent, not just an e-mail address.

Yeah, can we have a sticky at the top of community so that we can track down friends who've become fed up with the politics of the site?

In reply to:

amen.

In reply to:
#1 I've tried like hell to get tarpitted, been quite obnoxious, and gotten nothing but perhaps a mild reprimand from philbox via PM.

#2 curt's posts were among the more entertaining to read, and well-written.

#3 this site is overmoderated, and can't decide whether it wants to be a cooperative, user-supported website, or a corporate, commercial entity.

that camhead guy sure is smart.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook