RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

vaness

Sep 2, 2001, 9:21 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2312 views)
Shortcut

glass
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

has anyone ever gottet cut by a broken bottle cuz people dont know how to clean up after themselvs? it really sucks when you go climbing and its not fun cuz 4 people end up going home with glass getting stuck in them. people need to learn not to throw there trash on the ground espeshaly glass

fiend

Sep 2, 2001, 9:28 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2312 views)
Shortcut

glass [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I walk around barefoot a lot and recently I was trekking from one problem to another at the Niagara Glen before I realized that I was walking through a giant patch of broken glass. Fortunately I didn't step in any but it was a real pain having to watch my step for pieces of glass.
I also worry about getting my pad ripped open.

kagunkie

Sep 3, 2001, 2:33 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2312 views)
Shortcut

glass [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If youv got broken glass around watch your rope glass can get in the rope and damage it! Keep in mind also that glass can sometimes get stuck in cracks and on ledges on the cliff face, it may even be mixed in with or covered by dirt or vegetation. We dont need to get a cut rope by weighting it then having it slide into a crack filled with class. Be carefull if youv got glass around! My suggestion is to make a good effort to clean it up!

[ This Message was edited by: kagunkie on 2001-09-03 07:34 ]

vaness

Sep 3, 2001, 11:48 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2312 views)
Shortcut

glass [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

every year my school has a comunity service day where you get to go to one place for the day and clean up. i was thinking about talking to the school and having it one of the choices but im going to have to get my friends to help

[ This Message was edited by: vaness on 2001-09-03 16:49 ]

kagunkie

Sep 5, 2001, 3:33 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2312 views)
Shortcut

glass [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When cleaning up make sure you start at the top and work your way down! It avoids cleaning the bottom twice! Dont forget to check/clean the cliff face and cracks/ledges on a carefully backed-up rappel and wear gloves! Take a wisk brush a rake some five gallon buckets some kind of shovel if you can sift the stuff you shovel up its a good thing too. Some small gardening tools like one of those little claws for turning up the soil and youll probably do a more thorough job too. Many hands make for fast work!!! Get other climbers to help.

vaness

Oct 4, 2001, 1:12 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2312 views)
Shortcut

glass [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just wanted to update you all even though most of you probly dont care about this cuz like no one lives near here but the place with all the glass in manchester NH is beinging cleaned on the 21st or the 20th well thats what i herd but im going to help. if anybody lives near manchester and wants me to give some info on this i can go online and check it out for you. i will get the exact date and time of this event (and see if it is true) and see if public can help. its being put on my the police dept. and my step-dad has connections with the police. so if you want info privet message me. just letting you know so you can help.

[ This Message was edited by: vaness on 2001-10-03 18:15 ]

fiend

Oct 11, 2001, 5:37 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2312 views)
Shortcut

glass [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:just wanted to update you all even though most of you probly dont care about this cuz like no one lives near here

Even though we don't live there we should still all care. Glass and garbage is a problem everywhere and it's always great to hear about groups going in to do clean-ups of climbing areas.

We need more climbers like you Vaness! And of course, mad props to anyone else who regularly packs out other people's garbage and participates in these clean up days.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook