Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Safety First
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

onbelay510

Feb 22, 2005, 9:08 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Safety First  (North_America: United_States: Oregon: Willamette_Valley: Skinners_Butte_Columns)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is kind of random but last time we climbed at Skinner's Butte some medics came by to watch. They told us that the week before a guy had gotten drunk, climbed to the top, and fell off, breaking both of his hips. I just thought it was funny.

blueeyedclimber

Feb 22, 2005, 9:43 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Re: Safety First [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why is that funny? Sounds like he could have died. Would that have been funny too?

korntera

Mar 16, 2005, 11:00 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did the guy free solo or just walk around up top on the trial. Because if he free-soloed i have no sympathy for him.

sava6e

Mar 16, 2005, 11:05 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm i havnt heard of this incident yet, ill have to keep my ears open and see if i cant find some more details, keep in mind everyone that tweakers come there sometimes to do there crazy stuff, so it could have been some guy on something who walked to the top and decided he'd much rather fly down, or it could have been a climber, and also i have seen some stupid as people out there too. then again i could be wrong and it could have been an honest mistake by an honest climber. i will check it out though and make a post back here.

onbelay510

Mar 23, 2005, 9:41 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as I know it was just a random drunk. I don't know wether he free soloed or not, but it sounded like it from the medics description.

kman

Mar 23, 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why is that funny? Sounds like he could have died. Would that have been funny too?

Relax...lot's of people have died in funny ways. Some people are just stupid....just part of life man.

milesenoell

Jun 14, 2008, 12:27 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onbelay510] Safety First [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb the columns a couple times a week and have seen some crazy shit, and have seen so many drunk, high, crazy and just plain stupid people climbing the left side (the left side of the wall is where the columnar basalt is the most broken and eases from scrambling up broken blocks to climbing real columns as it goes right) that it's almost normal now. Last one I saw was a guy who was in loose fitting tennis shoes and carried his paunch like he spent a lot more time at the computer than in the sun. He took a line that was probably about a 5.4 and got to the top OK but essentially got stuck trying to mantel the top and couldn't get up, but couldn't get back down either so he just locked off as best he could and kinda shook for a while. A couple of us just watched in silent horror gauging that he could pitch about 40 feet onto very rocky ground. Eventually he made it up, and we just kept climbing. Just a regular day at the Columns.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook