pinktricam

Feb 22, 2005, 7:32 PM
Post #1 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Is anyone else here outraged...
Report this Post
Can't Post

...at the prices of food and drink in movie theatres :?:

I have been for years now and just thought I'd share how I've gone about beating the system:

1) Always bring along a coat or jacket with big pockets...you girls have it easier and can bring your over-sized pocketbook.

2) Stuff those pockets/purses with food and drinks.

I mean I really feel for the family of four...on the average, it's GOTTA be costin' them close to 100 beans just to go out and see a movie while enjoying a few snacks :!:

My favorite movie meal consists of:

1) A sub-sandwich (usually an Italian with double-meat and cheese)

2) A small bag of chips (usually those new-fangled sweet potato chips from Seneca...sea-salt being my fave.)

3) A half-pint of Bacardi Select Rum (which I mix with the coke or 7-UP I DO buy there.)

4) A bag of peanut M&M's or whatever sweet I'm in the mood for at the time.

I try and sit away from most folks there, but sometimes it's such a popular movie that I have to sit next to people and my elaborate feast never fails to amuse.

...am I the only one :?:

jakedatc

Feb 22, 2005, 7:36 PM
Post #2 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Re: Is anyone else here outraged... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bottle of soda and reeses pieces, sour patch kids or swedish fish or other jelly like candy mmmmm

and try to stick to matinee's for like 2-3 bucks cheaper then normal shows

onbelay_osu

Feb 22, 2005, 7:38 PM
Post #3 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

3) A half-pint of Bacardi Select Rum (which I mix with the coke or 7-UP I DO buy there.)

not whiskey.....rum is a girl drink :lol:

just kidding

Partner camhead

Feb 22, 2005, 7:41 PM
Post #4 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for once, you and I are outraged at the same thing, PTC.

fucking extortionism.

Although, usually I just smuggle in a nalgene full of strong margarita, which most movie theaters don't sell anyway.

pinktricam

Feb 22, 2005, 7:42 PM
Post #5 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aaahhhhh....common ground :!: This is a very good thing.

usmc_2tothetop

Feb 22, 2005, 7:45 PM
Post #6 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reeses Pieces

Bottle of wine. :twisted:

overlord

Feb 22, 2005, 7:46 PM
Post #7 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its similar here. but we have no problems with suggling stuf in. you can even carry a water bottle inside in plain sight (they dont check if its water). but if smuggling snacks and/or other alco we usually use backpacks.

hint: if you sit in the middle you get to drink twice each turn (actually its all seats but thsoe at the ends of the party).

edge

Feb 22, 2005, 7:48 PM
Post #8 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last week the ticket stub terrorist asked if I would show him what was inside my coat, where there was a conspicuous lump. I looked around, then leaned in and whispered to him, and he waved us through.

My wife asked me later what I said. I had asked the guy, "OK, but have you ever actually seen a urinary catheter bag before?"

We enjoyed the bag full of Junior Mints immensely.

pinktricam

Feb 22, 2005, 7:54 PM
Post #9 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
....I had asked the guy, "OK, but have you ever actually seen a urinary catheter bag before?"
:lol:

:idea: Which reminds me...am I the only one that pees into their cup after finishing that rum and coke :?: Seriously...I mean I'd hate to miss any of the movie!

Partner macherry

Feb 22, 2005, 8:00 PM
Post #10 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I buy DVDs and stay at home to watch them. Cheapest route all around!

don't usually buy them, but rent them. I'm of low tolerance in the movie theater and i can't stand the constant noise/chatter and people sitting in my way.

besides, i can sit in my underwear at home, drink beer and get up to pee when i want to and not miss a thing!!!!

Partner euroford

Feb 22, 2005, 8:06 PM
Post #11 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

going to the theater is for suckers.

i've just so happened to equip my living room with a 12' wide front projection screen and enough audio horsepower to kill small children.

in our house when a movie is 'out' that means on DVD.

favorite beverages include JB on the rocks and newcastle, snacks include smoked beef ribs, my wifes kick ass pakistani/indian cooking or maybe some of my signature chili.

oh yeah, and i always have the best seat, if there is a crying baby i can ask the offending relative to leave, and my dog even gets to come.

after the initial purchase of the theater (lets just forget about that price tag eh?), buying a DVD costs less than going to the theater.

charley

Feb 22, 2005, 8:56 PM
Post #12 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I've been cheap forever, and here I go showing my age again. When my kids were young we used to go to the drive in with 4 batches of popcorn in a big bag and a couple big bottles of grocery store cola. Prolly a six pack of beer too. Today we just rent them. I think I may start watching them with Macherry though. :twisted: I'm too cheap and don't have a dvd player yet

Partner macherry

Feb 22, 2005, 9:08 PM
Post #13 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, I've been cheap forever, and here I go showing my age again. When my kids were young we used to go to the drive in with 4 batches of popcorn in a big bag and a couple big bottles of grocery store cola. Prolly a six pack of beer too. Today we just rent them. I think I may start watching them with Macherry though. :twisted: I'm too cheap and don't have a dvd player yet

hey, my folks used to take us kids to the drive-in. I remember how much fun it was.......and then as a teenager sneaking people into the drive in, hidden in the trunk. I'm positive there was liquor and illegal substances involved.

charley you're welcome to drop by for a flick.......just make sure it's a comedy or action flick......none of those girly date movies!!!

charley

Feb 22, 2005, 9:11 PM
Post #14 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Action for sure, Marge. :wink:

Partner macherry

Feb 22, 2005, 9:14 PM
Post #15 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Action for sure, Marge. :wink:

you're just there to see me in my tidy whities!!!

charley

Feb 22, 2005, 9:19 PM
Post #16 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know that just opens you up to comments about you without your tidy whities :lol: . I'll just think em. I just wanted to seesome canadien movies.

wanderinfree

Feb 22, 2005, 9:28 PM
Post #17 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My favorite movie meal consists of:

1) A sub-sandwich (usually an Italian with double-meat and cheese)

2) A small bag of chips (usually those new-fangled sweet potato chips from Seneca...sea-salt being my fave.)

4) A bag of peanut M&M's or whatever sweet I'm in the mood for at the time.

The best (worst) I've ever managed to smuggle in was a huge burrito. I swear I was sitting in a pile of rice by the end of the movie. :oops:

epic_ed

Feb 22, 2005, 9:35 PM
Post #18 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Hey, go tell that to Ron Bacardi, the 151 version. He'll be amused at your cavalier attitude and will promptly kick your ass up and down the street and under the table. Don't piss off Ron. He'll haunt ya.

Ed

climberterp

Feb 22, 2005, 9:53 PM
Post #19 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's against my religion to buy food or drink at a movie theater.

My religion has very strict rules about paying a 700% markup on stuff. :lol:

napoleon_in_rags

Feb 22, 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #20 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Rum is a girl drink?? Tell that to bad asses like Sailor Jerry, John Paul Jones, Horatio Nelson, or the rest of the friggin English and American Navies who recieved their Tot of Grog every day!

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 22, 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #21 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an embarrassing addiction to movie popcorn....and will gladly pay the 700% maurkup for the fix. But it had better be freshly popped and not full of those tiny bits of broken dregs. (As an aside - movie popcorn "topping"....gross.)

Soda, on the other hand. N-e-v-e-r in my life would I willingly pay full price for a movie, and a pocorn and a soda. I go tot eh deli down the street, but a 20oz coke and a cup of ice, and I'm set.

But my best movie scam......is "Buy One, Get One Free." On 42nd Street, the AMC theatre has 25, count 'em, 25 films running at the same time. They even have printed hand-outs with each film, a synopsis, it's running length, and showtimes. The only thing they don't list is the film room number....gotta make the game worth playing, I suppose.

It is very easy to show up early, buy a ticket for whatever film you want, then escalator up to the top floor and puruse what's playing and where. Then, you choose your first movie, sit back and enjoy that non-highway robbery soda and 700% MU popcorn, and watch your film. The theatre employees could care less about policing the place to make sure nobody sneaks in to a second film, so you just wander around, wherever you want. My record was 3 full, just released films. But....like any addiction....the hangover from that much movie is not a fun thing.

Partner philbox

Feb 22, 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #22 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best movie theatre I have ever been to was way up in north west Queensland at a place called Camoweal. They had an open air movie theatre with canvas stretcher chairs and a corrugated iron fence running around the outside. You look up and see the stars whilst sitting watching the flick.

Then there was the time I went to the flicks at Cunnamulla way out in western Queensland. We went to see Shogun, they put the second reel on first and then the first reel second so everything was out of order. To top matters the voices were not in sync with what the picture was doing. The actors looked like they were chewing gum. It nearly caused a riot albeit a good natured one at that.

climberterp

Feb 22, 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #23 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My local theater has a bad record of mistakes like that. Went there to see the first Lord of the Rings, when one reel was over the next one didn't start, so we had blank screen but the sound was still going. Then they found a reel, but the sound was off, then they got the sound back on but it wasn't even for the same scene so you had dialogue and fighting sounds with a romantic bit on screen. Riots were narrowly averted :shock:

Happiegrrl I applaud your 3 movies in a row stamina. I think I would have a very numb butt after a day like that! :)

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 22, 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #24 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But if the theatre makes an error - don't they rush out to the audience bearing coupons for free moives, along with a soda and popcorn? Sometimes it's like "Yeah! Delay that sound. I want my free tix!"

Well...that's how it goes in NYC, ba-beee! Gotta take care not to upset those wound-too-tightly city fokes......

climberterp

Feb 22, 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #25 of 34 (576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Up here in the sticks they're a little slower with the favor-mongering :(

Plus, if you really want to see a movie on opening day ( or you have an obsessive spouse who insists upon it) it kind of sucks to have it screwed up like that.

Happily, there are other theaters to choose from, just not others I can walk to.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook