RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

zozo

Feb 23, 2005, 3:19 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1424 views)
Shortcut

Guidebooks to RMNP
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I found a fairly decent guide to alpine climbs in RMNP but there are some things I dont like about it, The routes are handrawn (I need detail) and the approach information is very poor.

This one will do in a pinch but I was hoping someone could reccommend a guide book they like. Sorry I dont have any info on the one I was looking at. It will do in a pinch but Id like to look at a few others.

Thanks in advance.

cologman

Feb 23, 2005, 4:12 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1424 views)
Shortcut

Re: Guidebooks to RMNP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dave,
I use Bernard Gillett's "Rocky Mountain National Park, The Climbers Guide, High Peaks". Hell even someone as obscure as me can finds his name in it. It works for me, but when I get really desperate I pull out Walter Fricke's RMNP Guide from 1970 or so. Things like Casual Route, Pervertical and many more aren't represented yet. :wink:

zozo

Feb 23, 2005, 4:16 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dave,
I use Bernard Gillett's "Rocky Mountain National Park, The Climbers Guide, High Peaks".

Hey Jeff,

I think that's the one I was talking about. It has a companion RMNP crags guide to right? Hell if you use it I'll use it!

rockprodigy

Feb 23, 2005, 4:22 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You probably looked at the Gillet guide, but there is also a set of guides by Richard Rossitter which also has hand-drawn topos. From what I've seen, I prefer the Gillet guides, the topos are easier to read, and it's a few years more recent than the Rossiter guides.

That said, in alpine climbing, you need to resist the urge to try to plan every single pitch. Alpine climbing is not about having good topos. You should go after each route with the attitude that the FA didn't have a topo, and they were able to do it, so you should be able to as well. Relying too heavily on published material will lull you into a false sense of security in the mountains, then as soon as the $hit hits the fan, you're screwed. You need to be self reliant.

ambler

Feb 23, 2005, 4:26 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Dave,
I use Bernard Gillett's "Rocky Mountain National Park, The Climbers Guide, High Peaks".
Hey Jeff,
I think that's the one I was talking about. It has a companion RMNP crags guide to right? Hell if you use it I'll use it!
In additions to using Gillett's guidebook, you might check ClimbingBoulder.com for recent beta updates -- there are some high-country routes added or described differently (sometimes by Gillett himself) on the website, supplementing the book.

In reply to:
when I get really desperate I pull out Walter Fricke's RMNP Guide from 1970 or so.
Fricke's old book is a treasure. Possibly the worst binding job ever, but so much otherwise lost information!

zozo

Feb 23, 2005, 4:29 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you need to resist the urge to try to plan every single pitch. Alpine climbing is not about having good topos.

Agreed, In areas Im not familiar with I like to be able to orient myself that's all.

cologman

Feb 23, 2005, 4:30 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, my Fricke Guide has a vinyl cover which is loose and pages that float around. But it is full of a ton of memories :D

steelmonkey

Feb 24, 2005, 2:55 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some newer ones out there probably, but here's a list of guides for RMNP and area:

A CLIMBER'S GUIDE TO THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK AREA
Walter W. Fricke, Jr.
Paddock Publishing, 1971
225 pp.
Areas include: Zumies Thumb, Meeker, Longs Peak, Chiefshead, Spearhead, Petit Grepon, McHenrys, Cathedral Wall, Hallet Peak, Notchtop, Deer Mountain, the Lumpy Crags, Ypsilon, Ptarmigan, Eagle Rock and the Finger.

SELECTED CLIMBS IN ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
Richard DuMais
Self-Published, 1980
51 pp.
Includes: Lumpy Ridge, Longs Peak, Ypsilon, Notchtop, Hallett Peak, Sharkstooth, Petit Grepon, Spearhead and Mt. Meeker.

ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK – CLASSIC HIKES AND CLIMBS
Gerry Roach
Fulcrum Incorporated, 1988
255pp.
ISBN # 1-55591-033-5
Descriptive guide to many mountain routes on peaks within RMNP. Some pictures, but mostly descriptions. Areas include: Never Summer Mountains, Mummy Range, La Poudre Pass to Sprague Pass, Bear Lake Area, Glacier Gorge, Longs Peak, Wild Basin, West Side of the Park.

LONG’S PEAK
It’s Story and a Climbing Guide – 10th Edition – 50th Anniversary Edition
Revised and Updated by Stan Adamson
Mills Publishing, 1995
78pp.
ISBN: 0-9625445-0-7
Not really that useful as a climbing guide, but some relevant information and interesting stuff.

ROCK AND ICE CLIMBING
ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
THE HIGH PEAKS
Richard Rossiter
Chockstone, 1997
299pp
ISBN # 0-934641-66-8
Areas include: Wild Basin, Mt. Meeker, Longs Peak, Glacier Gorge, Loch Vale, Tyndall Gorge, Odessa Gorge, Mummy Range and the West Side.

ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
THE CRAG AREAS
Richard Rossiter
Chockstone, 1996
276pp
ISBN # 0-934641-34-X
Areas include: Prospect Mountain, Twin Sisters Mountain, Lily Mountain and East Portal, Fern Canyon, Fall River Canyon, Lumpy Ridge, Cow Creek Canyon, Dry Gulch, and Big Thompson Canyon.

THATH-AA-AI-ATAH ("Little Lumps")
A Rock Climber's and Scramblers Guide to the Lumpy Ridge Area
Chip Salaun and Scott Kimball
Self-Published, 1980
192 pp.
Guide to routes of Lumpy Ridge, McGregor's Slab, Deer Ridge Buttress and Thumb & Needle.

LUMPY RIDGE
Estes Park Rock Climbs
Scott Kimball
Chockstone Press, 1986
184 pp.
Areas include: Crescent Wall, Twin Owls, Gollum's Arch Rocks, Batman Rock, The Book, Left Book, Bookend, The Pear, Sundance, Sheep Mountain Rock, Thumb and Needle, Castle Mountain, McGregor Slab, Deer Ridge Buttress, Moraine Park, and Deville Rocks. Some info on the high mountain routes (Longs, Hallett, etc.) as well.

ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK - THE CLIMBER'S GUIDE
Bernard Gillet
Earthbound Sports Inc., 1993
271pp
Includes areas at Lumpy Ridge, Estes Park Valley, the Crags, and RMNP. Some limited information on ice climbing in the area as well.

100 SELECT CLASSIC ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK CLIMBS
Michael Stevens and Fredd Knapp
100 Select Guides, 1995
~70pp.

zozo

Feb 24, 2005, 3:29 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good stuff Steelmonkey, thanks. Im printing it out now.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook