RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

jude

Mar 1, 2005, 2:00 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2836 views)
Shortcut

-40 bag for Denali ?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Mountain Hardware Ghost?
Marmot Cwm?
Western Mountaineering Bison?

What are people's thoughts?

xcit

Mar 1, 2005, 2:32 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2836 views)
Shortcut

Re: -40 bag for Denali ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know the conduit material is excellent on the MH products along with their new foot box design.

But I'm sure the majority of people are probably going to swear by the Bison.

Marmot probably has the best hood design of the 3.

All 3 being excellent I would look at weight and the down the fill is.

johnhennings

Mar 1, 2005, 2:35 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could get a lighter weight (higher temperature) bag and wear your fleece and down insulation while you sleep. This might help you save a little weight in feathers. :D

warthog

Mar 1, 2005, 3:04 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out Wiggy's sleeping bags. they are a bit heavy,but they have monster loft, the best guarentee and they work great in wet and snowy conditions.

gato_loco

Mar 1, 2005, 3:07 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got the Feathered Friends Ptarmigin with the overfill to 800 and that thing was TOASTY all through my visit to Denali. I have the Epic fabric, which is nice as well. For the price, I say Feathered Friends all the way, especially since you can trick out your bag to meet your personal needs.

montaniero

Mar 1, 2005, 4:04 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never been to Denali but I can speak about the performance of one of the bags you mentioned with first hand experience. I own a Marmot Cwm Dryloft in regular size.

First thing: The -40 rating in this bag is true to form and could affirm it might have an extreme rating of -50.

The loft is simply great due in part to the 900 fill power down and it compresses nicely enough for a bag of those dimensions. Someone said it before and I concur: Best damn hood in the market. PERIOD. And taking into account we lose on average 60% of our body heat through the head, this is an important feature in a bag to be used in extreme temperatures.

I am 5' 10", 160 lbs. and for me its girth its very comfortable and roomy! Boot liners at the foot no problem, plenty of room. This is the most important thing (after its temperature rating) you have to look for in an expedition bag because at those temperatures you can't leave your liners outside the bag and still expect to have toes at the end of the next day.

Second most important feature to take into account is shell material. Some people like Dryloft because it's worry-free in terms of potential spills and some swear by Pertex or the other microfibers because it breathes better, so condesation of your sweat in the down is not a big issue as it dries faster through the microfiber shell. My take on this is the following: all my other bags (down and synthetic for lower temperature ranges) have a Pertex shell except the CWM.

In lower temperatures and more humid environments, Pertex makes much more sense: breathes better, dries faster. But beyond -20 the air is so dry you don't have to worry that much about breathability, but you definitely have to worry about your expedition getting ruined because your tent partner dizzy with AMS or affected by a non-stopping Khumbu cough spilled its coup-a-soup in your life-saving sleeping bag. Even more so if you need to bivy in a snow cave, which has happened in Denali before, you don't want to get caught with a Pertex shelled down-filled bag as you are going to get soaked. In that scenario is either a synthetic bag or down bag with a Dryloft shell. -40 expedition synthetic bags are too heavy if you are planning an alpine style ascent. If you are doing an alpine style ascent a lighter synthetic bag might fit the bill, but you will need to sleep with your clothes then.

Durability with the CWM is a non-issue. I had this bag for four years and it lofts as big as the first day. Try to store as loose as possible.

Partner chugach001

Mar 1, 2005, 4:27 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Excessive. I bivied in -52f (ambient) in a -20 bag. You'll rarely have a sub 40 night on Denali but will drag that pig all the way up the sweaty-ass Kahiltna wishing you had a lighter bag. Your tent and clothes all help insulate. Even my wife who is a cold sleeper was toasty up Denali with a -20f bag.

Have fun.
Jeff

akicebum

Mar 1, 2005, 5:11 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am inclined to agree with chugach001. Denali gets F'n cold. Your circulation sucks up that high yeah you end up cold. But a -40 degree bag is HUGE and it weighs a ton. They are great for basecamps, definitely helps lure in the ladies :wink: , but they are overkill on the mountain.
I would also agree that Feathered Friends makes the best bags out there, but that is personal preference. Western is unreal as well. As for Marmot, well I am sure they are alright as well I just don't have any first hand experience. But remember wet=cold, you want to layer your insulation so when you get into bed it is as dry as you can make it. The Union suite and balaclava are golden. Good luck and hope you get a clear summit day.

farva

Mar 1, 2005, 8:50 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any of those bags you mentioned would be adequate. Marmot probably makes the best mass produced sleeping bags available. FF & WM also make fantastic bags too. If you are not too worried about weight, then synthetic bags of the same rating are usually more affordable & are virtually idiot proof (TNF darkstar -40 for instance)

maxclimber1w

Mar 2, 2005, 1:02 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Feathered Friends bags are, in my opinion, the best bags on the market. Custom, custom, custom...

drake

Mar 2, 2005, 7:22 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The most important question is when are you going?

-20 bag should do it. Remember that most of these bags have a medium to full cut which allows for you to wear some of your insulating layers (ie...at 17K would be the likely place). If it got down to -40 one night, you can also place your parka on top (not inside) of your bag.
On the coldest of nights, a hot water bottle at your feet will make things more comfy.
I bivied at 17K for 3 nights (mid June). It was probably the only time I zipped my -40 bag all the way up. We only saw -15.

Drake

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$17.95 (10% off)
$152.96 (10% off)
$10.76 (10% off)
$26.95 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook