Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Sams Throne Routes Database
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

kaylinr

Mar 2, 2005, 8:11 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3983 views)
Shortcut

Sams Throne Routes Database  (North_America: United_States: Arkansas: Boston_Mountain_Range: Sams_Throne)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I've been looking through the Sams Throne database here on rc.com. Only a small portion of the routes that exist at Sams seem to be listed here. Even the routes that are listed have short discriptions. Most of the time just a grade and name. The quality of information compared to Frisbie's guide is pretty low.

My question is, would it be okay to update and add a ton to the routes database by posting Clay Frisbie's descriptions. Normally I would be afraid of crossing some copyright lines, but the guide has been out print for quite some time now. It's not as if I'd be taking money from Clay since you couldn't buy a book if you wanted to.

So anyway, I have the time, the ambition, and most importantly, a guide book. Would it be peachy to have a little Sams database upgrade??

berkly

Mar 2, 2005, 8:27 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3983 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sams Throne Routes Database [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It would be nice. We went there last weekend with the book as well. Lucky we did, because the database here sucks. Some routes are even placed on the wrong sections. Maybe somehow contact clay for permission to copy verbatim. I also think that if you read something its now your knowledge. If you were to interpret that knowledge and express it in your own way, its not plagerism.

Were you there last weekend? what car did you drive, which campsite? We were the ones in the first campsite on the right in the parking lot. got rained on sunday too

kaylinr

Mar 2, 2005, 8:30 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We were there on Saturday. We drove up from Little Rock Saturday morning, and parked near the lookout off the road. I heard Sharma was at Sams on Sunday. Did you guys catch him?

killclimbz

Mar 2, 2005, 8:32 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My suggestion is to not copy the book, but to add routes you have climbed and your own thoughts on them. The database does not exist to replace the guidebook for an area but to give you an idea what's there. I like to add my thoughts and describe the route, but to each his own. About the only thing I will use the guidebook for is to Confirm the name and maybe bolt counts or protection needed. Take a look at the Devil's Head area for what I have done.

fitzontherocks

Mar 2, 2005, 8:43 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kaylin, you've probably heard there's a new book in the works, but the publication date seems to be, shall we say, fluid.

kaylinr

Mar 2, 2005, 9:01 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Kaylin, you've probably heard there's a new book in the works, but the publication date seems to be, shall we say, fluid.

I've certainly heard of the intentions to make a new book. How long must we wait :roll:

Its only becuase of the up in the air guide situation that I even think about the idea of putting so much info into the Sams section. If the new book came out, there would be a viable option for those that don't want to spend $115 on a used copy on Amazon.com. Because of the unique scenario with Sams info, it seemed it might be justified to put some of the guide info on the net. You just can't get it any other way.

My ambition is waning though. Don't know if I'll bother unless some people actually seem to care. Maybe eveyone who really wants the info has already weasled their way into owning a guidebook?

fitzontherocks

Mar 2, 2005, 9:07 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I sold mine for $30 (cheap, but then I wasn't trying to make a kiling). And btw, I got my slings. Thanks!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook