RSS FeedRSS Feeds for World Climbing News

Premier Sponsor:

Partner phaedrus

Mar 14, 2005, 2:07 PM
Post #1 of 8 (7006 views)
Shortcut

Montrail Crampon Recall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

CPSC, Montrail Inc. Announce Recall of Crampons; Products Used for Ice Climbing and Mountaineering

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announces the following recall in voluntary cooperation with the firm below. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of product: Crampons (used for ice climbing and mountaineering)

Units: 969 pairs

Manufacturer: Montrail Inc., of Seattle, Wash.

Hazard: The vertical rails at the front of these crampons can break, which could result in falls and injuries to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: Montrail has received three reports of crampons breaking. No injuries were reported.

Description: The recall includes models I354, I356, and K364 sold under brand names I.C.E. 9 and Khumbu. The recall includes products with UPC numbers beginning with 619120036 and ending with 204, 211, 464, or 457. These model and UPC numbers are listed only on the packaging, but not on the products themselves.

Sold at: Outdoor equipment retailers nationwide from September 2003 through Feb. 1, 2005 for between $135 and $185.

Manufactured in: Korea

Remedy: Consumers should stop using these crampons immediately and contact Montrail to find out how to return them and for further recall details.

Consumer Contact: Contact Montrail toll-free at (800) 826-1598 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. PST Monday through Friday.

To view this recall online, please go to our website at:
http://www.cpsc.gov/.../prhtml05/05134.html

Partner phaedrus

Mar 14, 2005, 2:10 PM
Post #2 of 8 (7006 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus locked this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus has locked this thread.

telluryan

Mar 17, 2005, 6:48 PM
Post #3 of 8 (7006 views)
Shortcut

MOntrail Ice 9 Crampon recall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So i have talked to Montrail regarding the issue. Basically if you send them back now, you will not be able to get Montrail crampons to replace this year. So basically you can either run it out for the winter or replace w/ another manufacturer's crampon at their cost. Montrail is sending a packet for instructions to return these.

I am wondering however how compatible other crampons are w/ this boot. I originally bought the system b/c i liked the integrated design.
Has anyone got any experience w/ other crampons fitted to the ICE 9 Boot?

rhaj

Mar 18, 2005, 9:31 PM
Post #4 of 8 (7006 views)
Shortcut

Re: Montrail Crampon Recall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just spoke with Montrail myself. Should be noted that the package they send out includes return postage. The Montrail rep I spoke with was great -- they're being very proactive on this.

Another point on the topic: They are aware of the tight closure on the heel bail (they're a BITCH to get on and off), and are working on that problem also. Might be worth ordering the return info and waiting to see about the redesign on the step-in.

I've been using the whole system (boots, crampons, gaiters) all year -- and they've all been great. The possiblity of breakage is pretty low, so I'm gonna keep using them for the short balance of the season -- with regular inspection of the vertical rail.

If you don't mind horizontal points, the grivel new-matic binding works really well. But the boot is so flexible I don't think I'd trust a rigid crampon with a toe bail.

rendog

Mar 19, 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #5 of 8 (7006 views)
Shortcut

Re: MOntrail Ice 9 Crampon recall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...replace w/ another manufacturer's crampon at their cost.

what I got was "you can get them replaced at a minimal cost...

In reply to:
I am wondering however how compatible other crampons are w/ this boot. I originally bought the system b/c i liked the integrated design.
Has anyone got any experience w/ other crampons fitted to the ICE 9 Boot?

I've got a pair of rambo comps as a second pair, and I had a biatch of a time trying to get them to fit to the boot.

as far as what rhaj said about the tight closure of the heel bail, I like that. just gives an added bit of security in my mind about thm coming off mid crux.

Personally I'm going to go the rest of the season till about the beginning of may and then I'll send them back. hell I might even just take them right to seattle myself and speak to the rep in person. see what we can do. I love the set up, been wearing them since jan 6th '04. Worn them in -34C and on ice climbs in +8C when it was literally raining. stayed warm in the first instance, and dry in the second. I love 'em

trogdortheburninator1

Mar 23, 2005, 7:18 PM
Post #6 of 8 (7006 views)
Shortcut

Re: MOntrail Ice 9 Crampon recall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

how much rigidity is lost going from the ice9 to the grivel newmatic? I was considering G-14 Newmatics as the replacement option, but want to make sure they are the best choice. Also, the ice 9s were my first pair of vertical front point crampons, so I dont have a lot to compare them to. In terms of total performance and design, do most people feel that grivel and others make a better overall crampon, or is the montrail actually pretty top notch?

steezy

Jun 14, 2005, 6:50 AM
Post #7 of 8 (7006 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I generally like Montrail boots but do not like their ice climbing stuff. Mainly because their crampons only fit their boots. Stupid. You can't get BD boots and Montrail crampons, they don't work togeather.

carolyngh

Jul 8, 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #8 of 8 (7006 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw a BD Bionic on an Ice 9 in a store today. Was a step-in. Looked like a very good fit and very solid.
I'm trying to figure out what I want since Montrail says they've checked the fit with many brands - didn't have any 'don'ts' and thought the BD Sabertooths would fit my needs best. But I want to do vertical ice at some point - how are the Grivel G14 and Bionics for glacier travel and less technical Alpine do.
For horizontal frontpoints I would get either the Sabertoths or Grivel G12.

Any comments? I'll be climbing on the Columbia icefieds and Mt Athabasca this summer, Mt Hood and/or Adams and/or Rainier in the fall, and eastern ice this winter. But I'm more of a mountaineer than a climber.

I would like to hear any experiences with other crampons so I can choose my replacements knowing they'll serve me well. I love the boots, BTW>

Forums : Archive : World Climbing News

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook