Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bugaboos trip
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

creemore

Mar 14, 2005, 10:03 AM
Post #1 of 8 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Bugaboos trip  (North_America: Canada: British_Columbia: The_Bugaboos)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a little beta. I've been planning a trip to the bugs this summer. I got all the info (i.e. guide books, maps), abilities, team and gear to visit them. As this is my first time going to this alpine wonderland, I was wondering if any of you had some tips & tricks that made their trip more enjoyable ?

I now that by going there I will learn alot and not to set my standards to high for the first go, but if the weather holds we are looking at 5.9-10 / A3-4 grade III to V. We got alot of time on our hands (full month) and are hoping to get some good times.

Not looking for route (unless a steller one comes to mind) or gear beta but mainly on the living and long waiting out days.

Thanks !

bumblie

Mar 14, 2005, 10:24 AM
Post #2 of 8 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bugaboos trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A month? WOW

Take decent food and some spirits. Considering everything else involved in going there, spending a little extra for decent grub is worthwhile.

If you intend to camp the whole time, consider spending a few nights in the hut. As you know, it rains a far amount of the time. Getting up in a nice dry building and fixing meals on a stove, with running water a few feet away, is a nice change from camplife. The cameraderie(sp?) is pretty good, too. Almost everyone I met at the hut was kick in the pants.

Have a blast.

slavetogravity

Mar 14, 2005, 10:43 AM
Post #3 of 8 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The great thing about staying in the Kain Hut is the you donít need to bring up a lot of stuff youíd otherwise have to bring if you where camping. Feel free to exclude the following from you pack. Stove, pots, mug, cup, sleeping pad, fuel, warm sleeping bag. There you just shaved about 30lbs off your pack. Bring a good book.
If your camping consider the trick I found one couple doing a few years ago while I was up there. They brought with them two, count emí two, tents. On any given day youíd find them up at Applebee campground, but when the weather turned to crap or they where on a rest day, they grabbed their second tent and pitched it in the campground BELLOW the Kain Hut. This camp site is a stones throw from the Kain Hut and allows you to hang out in the hut, out of the weather, without having to pay. If this sounds shifty donít sweat it. Speak to the hut warden and I doubt very much that theyíd mind. I know, Iíve done it.
So when the weather goes south grab your second tent and hang out inside the hut until itís time to go to sleep. Bring an umbrella. Also if your going to be up there for an extended period consider that many climbers/jerks chose to leave their left over camp fuel up in a stash up at Applebee. Buy the end of the seasons itís a virtual Esso station up their. So if youíll be camping consider that youíll probably wont need to take much in the way of fuel, as it will already be up there. I say the itís jerks that leave their fuel up there because I work as a Park Ranger and itís my job to pack out all the crap that park visitors chose not to pack out them selves. So if you use some of the fuel thatís up there, then great. But if not. Pack it in, pack it out.
Thanks and have fun.

creemore

Mar 14, 2005, 12:37 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys

We are planning on re-supplying during the month. Going back down to Invermere and such for groceries and hot springs. Even if we don't stay at the bugs the whole time too....we're quite open.

I like that tent idea, and thanks for the esso plug :wink: That'll help indeed. Always need jerks to make us good guys look good. Our team has pretty strong convictions about carring out what we bring in.

Spirits will defently be part of the trip..... :righton:

ddriver

Mar 15, 2005, 9:07 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've stayed at Appleby on two trips and at the Kain hut on another. My preference is Appleby. You get more of the immersed experience and the views are certainly better. You also have a head start on the climbers staying at the hut for the vast majority of the climbing, but of course it comes with the price of making the carry. You also don't have to put up with the noise of others at the hut.

topher

Mar 15, 2005, 9:22 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a few things, one if your there in the summer good luck with being there for a month.. there is a 15 day limit and it is often enforced... depends on how busy it is really... 2 dont wast your time and stay at the kain hut its not really worth it.. and dont realy on there being space either... ive seen more then one peroson not able to sqezz and they hade no tent bivi.. i say always bring a tent.. i personaly like the applebee camp ground its about 30 minutes less of a hike to get to the goods (read not having to wait in line on popular routes)... any way i wish you luck.. and so much for not setting your goals to high thems sounds like some stiff climbs.. remeber this isnt the local craig..
have fun wish i was going....

bc2planker

Apr 23, 2005, 1:22 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just wanted to re-state the fact that the Bug's has yearly 15 day limit to your stay. It would suck to be planning on a month, and then get booted out.

kman

Apr 23, 2005, 2:11 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
any way i wish you luck.. and so much for not setting your goals to high thems sounds like some stiff climbs.. remeber this isnt the local craig..

Don't worry it doesn't sound like the guys a gumby or something :roll:
Sounds pretty capable to me.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook