Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Where to land for Dolomites
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jenfu

Mar 14, 2005, 2:46 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Where to land for Dolomites  (Europe: Italy: Dolomites: Sass_di_stria)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Everyone,
I'm planning a trip to the Dolomites for July. Is there a big difference (given the train) between flying to Milan versus Venice? I can get much better flights to Milan. Any other beta (such as economic places to stay) would be appreciated. Thanks.
-JenFu

ddriver

Mar 15, 2005, 9:02 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Re: Where to land for Dolomites [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In what type of places are you wanting to stay, i.e. hotels, huts, campgrounds? What parts of the Dolomites do you want to visit? Its a really extensive area. There are public campgrounds in most every small town, and they tend to be very nice in terms of infrastructure. They will have hot showers and most have a restaurant or at least coffee and some groceries. The hotels typically have the number of stars they rate posted outside so you will have an idea of the cost and amenities. I would recommend staying in the alpine huts though due to cost savings and proximity to climbing. Most huts have restaurants included, though private rooms are difficult to come by and you will not get a shower. Many of the alpine huts are located at the end of the pavement, so not difficult to get to.

As for where you fly in to, I've never flown into either place. I've flown into Munich and gotten a rental car there because the cars and rates are good. Others say Innsbruck is competitive and the drive is less than half that to Munich. I don't know what public transit is like around the Dolomites, I would think it would crimp your climbing style somewhat. Most of the buses seem to be tour buses, not local transports.

Partner phylp

Mar 17, 2005, 6:06 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are not ONLY travelling by train are you? It's hard to get to a lot of places in the Dolomites without a car.

We've driven from Malpensa (Milan) up to Como area (gorgeous anyway) and then east to the Dolomites. It's pretty easy driving as I recall. This summer, my husband flew in to Munich and went down from there. He said the scenery on the way was gorgeous that way as well.

My recollection of the drive between the Dolomites and Venice was that it wasn't that pretty. (But I've only done it 3 X.)

Our favorite town in the Dolomites was Madonna di Campiglio. But it's all pretty amazing. Copied below from a website:

How to get to the Dolomites, Italy

The Dolomites are located in north Italy , in the regions of Trentino-Alto Adige and the Veneto . For travellers arriving by air from outside of Europe , the two major international airports at Milan and Munich would be the closest arrival points to the Dolomites, flying from JFK airport at New York the Marco Polo airport would b the closest arrival point to the Dolomites.

By car from Milan it would take 4 hours to drive to the mountains, from Munich 3 and a half hours and Venice an hour and a half. You can also reach the Dolomites by train on the main line crossing the Brenner Pass and connecting Austria with major Italian cities.

The Fortezza train station would be the ideal departure point for people wanting to visit the northern section of the Dolomites, while Bolzano would probably be the most convenient for the southern parts of the mountain range.

ddriver

Mar 22, 2005, 9:20 AM
Post #4 of 4 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The drive from Venice into the Dolomites is scenic enough.

Funny, I would have said Bolzano was in the north-central Dolomites.

Again, I don't know how long you're staying or if you're planning on going elsewhere, but the train will severely limit your ability to get around. The last time we went into Munich we rented a Passat turbo-diesel wagon for no more than $100/week and ruled the roads. Only had to fuel the thing once or twice. That was before the dollar tanked, but I'd check with europcar or others on auto rental rates. You may come out comparable to train costs depending on how you go about it.

Yes, the drive from Munich down is nice and breaks up well. A good place to recuperate on the way in is Garmisch rather than drive all the way down. Last time we drove through to Cortina and had to stop on the road to let a bike race pass through. We were both so hammered we fell asleep sitting on the road. Funny, noone honked at us to wake us up.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook