RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

airwin

Mar 15, 2005, 3:35 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2513 views)
Shortcut

China climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am wanting to climb in China during the 2nd 1/2 of May and most of June. Starting in Yangshuo for the ease of access lifestyle then any areas that could be opened up with new routes, particularly trad climbing.

If you are interested in joining in let me know.

I have a full trad rack etc. Like most people I climb higher grades when sport climbing, but will comfortably lead Australian 18's, which is about 5.10 American I think.

I have some places in mind, but any suggestions on other good locations are welcome.

Also if anyone knows of places in China where climbing is outlawed the information would be appreciated. I have no desire to end up in a Chinese jail for desecrating a sacred mountain. Although the locals don't seem to mind piles of plastic bags at their tourist sites.

far_east_climber

Mar 15, 2005, 3:46 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2513 views)
Shortcut

Re: China climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Airwin,

I will be around in June. It would be great to check out the Yellow Mountains (Huangshan, I believe). I have heard some Germans put up a few sport routes and multi-pitch FAs, however there appears to be many more possiblities. Let me know your ideas. Cleannn granite.

airwin

Mar 17, 2005, 1:26 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am currently working on a timetable with some other guys for some climbing in Western China. This should be early June.

HuangShan seems like a good place. I am definitely into doing some new multipitch trad.

I will keep you posted.

nickd

Mar 23, 2005, 5:56 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be ariving in the last week of June and am thinking about heading to Yangshuo then. Let me know if there's a chance we could meet up!

By the way, how developed is the climbing in Yangshuo these days? Any idea of number and difficulty of routes? How easy is it to meet a partner if I go out there on my own?

Nick

airwin

Mar 29, 2005, 3:12 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I can't find anyone for Huangshan then yes I will probably go back to Yangshuo.

I'm counting on just turning up and finding someone to climb with. There are plenty of local guides who should be able to hook you up with someone else looking for a climbing partner. But if worst comes to worst negotiate a cheap rate for a belay slave.

dwise

Mar 29, 2005, 4:12 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PM screenname Guangzhou. Eman is in China now and sending some of us weekly updates of all the amazing rock he's climbing. I'm not jiggy with my China geography, so I couldn't tell you exactly how far he is from where you're heading....

jcarsey

Apr 3, 2005, 6:28 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eman is in southern China basically right at Hong Kong. and he has some absolutely awesome limestone. And to top it all off he is a really cool guy to Climb with. I was visiting the area and he showed me tons of neat stuff. Great Guy.

But he seems to know people all over, and might be able to direct you to a local person.

-J

guangzhou

Apr 3, 2005, 7:01 AM
Post #8 of 9 (2513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all,

I am in Southern China, Guangzhou to be exact. June is going to be hot on Youngshuo; you may want to concentrate on the Yellow Mountains.

Most of the climbing in Yangshuo is sport. While lines have gone up on gear, they end up bolted. The main reason is that unbolted lines never get climbed there.

About two hours from Guangzhou is a pretty fabulous area with loads of potential. Same rock as Yangshuo, but not as frequented by tourist. The locals, villagers, are friendly and don't seem to care that we are climbing there. Long lines, short lines, bolted, unbolted, it's all there.

I would show you around in June, but I will be spending June in Yosemite and Paradise fork. Shoot me an email, and I will give you some contact information if you need some partners.

Far East Climber: Shoot me an email when you are ready to check out what is available near you on the mainland. A couple of people who come up from Hong Kong or Shenzen take the train to Guangzhou on Friday night and crash at my place. We normally head out Saturday mornings and return Sunday evening in time to take train back. My couch/guestroom, depending on who calls first, is available.

crayzlegz

May 26, 2005, 7:58 AM
Post #9 of 9 (2513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to be in the South Western region of China this coming September of 2005 teaching English. I would love to find some folks to climb with out around there so if any of you guys will still be around at the end of the summer or have any contacts would you mind dropping a line? thanx.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook