Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Good top-rope areas in Washington state
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

merrittasmaximus

Mar 15, 2005, 10:05 AM
Post #1 of 10 (5998 views)
Shortcut

Good top-rope areas in Washington state  (North_America: United_States: Oregon: Smith_Rock: 10__Monkey_Face_Area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Some friends and I are planning a trip to Washington in late June/early July, mainly to hike, camp, and kayak, however we'd like to do some climbing as well. We'll be everywhere between Mt. Rainier NP and the North Cascades. Can someone suggest a good area(s) for top roping and bouldering? Anything from 5.6-5.10, and beginner bouldering.

Thanks!

everactive

Mar 15, 2005, 6:17 PM
Post #2 of 10 (5998 views)
Shortcut

Re: Good top-rope areas in Washington state [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the best areas for you to look into for the routes your wanting to do would be at north bend at exit 32 or 38. There is a book or two out about here and plenty of places on the web. Theres also a little bit of climbing around hoodsport and lake cushman although in that area its good to find a local to show you around.

mtman

Mar 15, 2005, 6:57 PM
Post #3 of 10 (5998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as in most places it is hard to find just top roping, almost all of the places at 32 and 38 have to be lead first, but there are many climbs in your range. i would sugest that you either learn to lead first or find somone out here to meet up with and have them lead.

there is some walk around stuff at cushman but there is no guide book that i know of and the climbs are scaterd in the woods and along the lake so they can be hard to find and compared to 32 and 38 they are not really that good.

other areas that could be worth looking in to are levanworth there is good bouldering and some top roping (i really don't know how much top roping there is but on a lot of climbs you can walk around) and lots of trad. i would call the local gear shop in levanworth to get a better idea of what is out there.

mtman

scottquig

Mar 15, 2005, 7:19 PM
Post #4 of 10 (5998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mt. Erie, which is about 90 min north of Seattle, has quite a bit of stuff that can be toproped. You actually park on top of the mountain and hike down, so most of the stuff on the main wall can be set up as just a toprope without leading it first. Exit 38 must almost entirely be lead first.

merrittasmaximus

Mar 16, 2005, 10:18 AM
Post #5 of 10 (5998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone for the input, I'll check it out.

merrittasmaximus

Jun 20, 2005, 1:58 PM
Post #6 of 10 (5998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks again people for the info. We've actually decided to hook up with a guide and go up the Beckey Route of Liberty Bell. Have either of you ever done that route, and if so, how is it? I couldn't find any info in the routes database, which is odd, since it seems like a pretty popular route. Either way, I'll be glad to check out the Cascades, as I've never been there.

bluesky

Jun 20, 2005, 2:53 PM
Post #7 of 10 (5998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listArea.php?AreaID=861

Short Beckey Route Description

Pic on the site:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=46678

Haven't done this route, but others nearby. Beautiful area, great rock.

cheers.

gochubug

Jun 20, 2005, 3:00 PM
Post #8 of 10 (5998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Beckey Route is totally fun and not very difficult. At 5.6, it is right at the lower end of the range you gave. Three roped pitches and a scramble to the summit. The approach is not too long and the entire climb car-to-car is an easy day trip. The scenery is awesome. Here are a couple trip reports and other beta:

http://www.bodyresults.com/A2LibertyBell3.asp

http://www.pbase.com/bb/libertybell

http://www.summitpost.org/...id/2385/object_id/68

If you want more details, give me a shout :P

dirtyleaf

Jun 20, 2005, 3:12 PM
Post #9 of 10 (5998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Leavenworth has some excellent bouldering and sport routes and is usually dry. Exit 32 and 38 have a good selection of sport routes and solid rock. Darrington has some great multi-pitch sport route on slab. In Eastern washington there is Peshastin Pinnacles and Vantage (Frenchman's Coulee). East of Leavenworth. Up north theres a ton of bouldering and top ropeable climbs in Bellingham. In the North Cascades WA Pass (off of SR 20) has some excellent alpine climbs, and Mazama, a small town about 20 minutes East of WA Pass has a fun rock climbing area right off the road with top ropeable routes up to 80' high. You can climb to the top and set it up. www.climbingwashington.com- cascadeclimbers.com :D On the way to Mazama rocks you'll pass North Cascade Mountain Guides. They have top notch guides such as Steve House who can guide you up the Beckey Route on LB and will do it cheaper than others.

merrittasmaximus

Jun 20, 2005, 4:45 PM
Post #10 of 10 (5998 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the details everyone, this is great! Sounds like a good climb to second and get some more experience on a multi pitch and placing pro. We've signed up with NCMG, so I'd be psyched if someone like Steve House was our guide.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$6.75 (10% off)
$17.95 (10% off)
$107.96 (10% off)
$14.36 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook