Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
reorganize this info!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

bryson

Mar 16, 2005, 7:09 PM
Post #1 of 7 (4079 views)
Shortcut

reorganize this info!  (North_America: United_States: Washington: Central_Washington: Frenchman_Coulee_AKA_Vantage: Sunshine_Wall_Area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It seems to me that the info for Vantage is poorly organized. I am fairly new to RC.com and may misuderstand the point here but it seems that it is supposed to be a useful tool for visiting climbers. Why isn't there an area called Vantage or Frenchman's coulee, why is the powerhouse listed under the Sunshine Wall why are the Feathers listed as a sperate climbing area? I use this site to get info for visiting new areas and quite honestly had I not been to Vantage ever before this info really wouldn't help me at all. The routes have no info or directions...so what the point? The only way you could find anything is if yoou have a guide book and then why would you need the info here??
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Partner j_ung

Mar 16, 2005, 7:17 PM
Post #2 of 7 (4079 views)
Shortcut

Re: reorganize this info! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like the manager for Washington is Russ. I suggest you PM him with your concerns.

You could also try Bob, who manages the entire RDB. I'm not entirely certain, but I believe that the routes data base is about to undergo some pretty serious changes that would likely address most of your concerns.

epic_ed

Mar 16, 2005, 7:19 PM
Post #3 of 7 (4079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bryson, all of the routes in the database are member contributed -- meaning there's no one person or group responsible for the routes that have been added. Each state has a route database manager, but by and large the info is all member-driven. Bob D'antonio is the moderator who oversees the whole operation and he's currently in the process of a major reorganization of how the info is used and displayed. I think you'll be happy with the new look, but it's still a work in process. In the meantime, feel free to contribute by updating or commenting on any existing routes, or by submit your own info.

Ed

overlord

Mar 16, 2005, 7:19 PM
Post #4 of 7 (4079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, you have three choices:

a) PM whoever put the info up (hes name is next to whatever he put up, either a crag, section or a route)

b) PM the area manager (hes listed on the state/coutry main page)

c) since the area isnt locked feel free to edit the data. but please make sure the changes youre about to make will be for the better. and a PM to whoevers data youre changing is also considered polite at least to give them the heads up.

look at this site as an "open source" database. kinda like linux. you can edit most of the info and make it better. and if you find that you want to edit something thats locked (sometimes ppl lock things to make sure someone just cant come in and destroy their work, but thats used almost exclusively on areas where the original poster know hes info is rock solid), PM whoever locked it ans ask him to unlock the thing. or pm the area manager who has to power to unlock it. a pm to original poster would also be appreciated in this case just to keep things civil.

epic_ed

Mar 16, 2005, 7:22 PM
Post #5 of 7 (4079 views)
Shortcut

epic_ed moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epic_ed moved this thread from Regional Discussions to Suggestions, Questions & Feedback..

Partner russman

Mar 16, 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #6 of 7 (4079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It seems to me that the info for Vantage is poorly organized. I am fairly new to RC.com and may misuderstand the point here but it seems that it is supposed to be a useful tool for visiting climbers. Why isn't there an area called Vantage or Frenchman's coulee, why is the powerhouse listed under the Sunshine Wall why are the Feathers listed as a sperate climbing area? I use this site to get info for visiting new areas and quite honestly had I not been to Vantage ever before this info really wouldn't help me at all. The routes have no info or directions...so what the point? The only way you could find anything is if yoou have a guide book and then why would you need the info here??
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

bryson....sorry you feel the info is not up to snuff. I will admit that it is prolly outdated,as I added most of that about 3+ years ago.

I am not sure what your gripe is...I just looked agian...and behind all the listings on teh main WA page...it does say Vantage (Frenchmans Coulee)...The differences are actual different walls....The Feathers are not near the Sunshine Wall, The Zig Zag wall is not near Algathas Tower...etc. They are split into differnt areas.

The skeleton of this was used in conjunction with a guidebook....and I didn't put info in on climbs I had not done, since I know nothign about them...but they still exist in that area. I would hope others who have climbed those climbs I have not to fill in some first hand info,to go along with any guidbook....but then that is true for any area we all could visit.

PM me with other concers and I will see what we can come up with. Thanx for the promotions of our area :lol:

sbclimber

Mar 16, 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #7 of 7 (4079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bryson,

If all the information was there and perfect for every route, what would be the difference between RCcom and napster or Kazaa?

Why don't you quit whining and throw down the 20 bucks for a guidebook? I'm sure somebody put a lot of work into making your local guidebook, shouldn't he get SOME royalties?(small as they are)

Also, a lot of the descriptions in the RDB are plagiarized from guidebooks, which is no good as well as illegal. Please don't do this when updating.

Go buy the book and use the RDB for people's opinions on certain routes.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook