RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

jitbag

Mar 21, 2005, 1:06 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1151 views)
Shortcut

Adze'less and HammerlessCharlet Moser
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was wondering, does anyone climb on Charlet Moser Quark Axes, without a hammer or adze?? I climb mostly single pitch ice, with one adze and one hammer, and only ever really use the hammer, sometimes. I know allot of people climb with two hammers,, and nobody wants an adze in the face, so that brings me to my question, does anyone climb without either an adze or hammer in their tool, if so let me what and how you did it.

Cheers

neurostar

Mar 21, 2005, 2:38 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1151 views)
Shortcut

Re: Adze'less and HammerlessCharlet Moser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can understand people that don't want the adze, (I personally climb with one), but I don't really see the point of removing the adze and hammer. I'd think removing the hammer would just leave you with a sharp(er) point on the back of the tool than the hammer would have.

crimp2bfree

Mar 21, 2005, 4:08 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know a woman who is pretty small and has the hammers removed from her Quarks to make them as light as possible. I don't remember the setup exactly, but I think there are 3 bolts. Just take the hammer off and its bolt off and tighten the other two. She hasn't cut the remaining uneeded metal or anything. I have used them and would say that in soft plastic ice the light weight is nice. However it leaves something to be desired when its cold.

I have also used a pair of BD Fusion tools with the hammers removed. This drops the head weight a lot with the head design. The whole removable plate is gone and the pick is held in place with nut and the single bolt. It is a nice set up. However I haven't use the tools with the hammers so I can't fully compare. Its used by some big name climbers, I just don't remember who.

jimdavis

Mar 21, 2005, 6:49 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can understand people that don't want the adze, (I personally climb with one), but I don't really see the point of removing the adze and hammer. I'd think removing the hammer would just leave you with a sharp(er) point on the back of the tool than the hammer would have.

Good point about the sharpness. I think it'd be just for reducing the weight of the tool. Although, my Trango hammers are pretty aggro; I've made my face bleed pretty well with them before.

Cheers,
Jim

esoj00

Mar 22, 2005, 5:55 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adze..... Wow i feel like im the only one here who uses this thing. This is a crucial to ice climbing anything serious. I use it to place screws on crappy ice by first using it to clear away the surface layer. You also use it to set up beleys off ice screws. If you are doing anything alpine and mulitpitch, or if you learn to use it to prep the ice for screws you will be a better climber..
Peace

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook