RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

wayfare

Mar 25, 2005, 9:08 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1452 views)
Shortcut

climbing careers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK, I'm about to drop grad school. I just want to get an idea of what kind of jobs people have that let them climb seriously. Any suggestions for someone with a masters in physics?

olderic

Mar 25, 2005, 9:20 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1452 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing careers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
OK, I'm about to drop grad school. I just want to get an idea of what kind of jobs people have that let them climb seriously. Any suggestions for someone with a masters in physics?

Which end of the social ecomic spectrum do you want to be at? Chounaird or Chongo Chuck? they both have climbed seriously...... Leisure class at both ends.

clmbr121

Mar 25, 2005, 9:45 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

- Work part time at a outdoor retailer like REI
- Have good experience? Try guiding or working for a guiding service
- Stay in school. Get a degree in Physics. Design your own pro. Then Sell it.
- or work for one of the established pro companies
- get really good, get sponsored.

johnhennings

Mar 25, 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a high school student a few years ago, I asked myself the same question. I realized that I was pretty content spending my days at school, climbing on vacations and enjoying full summers of climbing trips. I then realized that a teacher usually follows the same schedule as their students. That is when I decided to become a teacher. You may not make a handsome salary, but it is a very noble profession that would provide you with a steady income, great vacation and reasonable health benifits. Just make sure you are willing to work with kids.

muslmutt

Mar 26, 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Physics? No. Go psychology then it is adventure based recreational therapy or experiential education all the way. Yup paid to play. Oh did I mention the pro deals/ free gear?

modman

Mar 26, 2005, 2:01 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can only see a few options.

a) The teaching idea is great. You could live wherever and teach math and they would love to have you. Summers are off, yes?

b) Disney world hires people to clime around on climbing walls to give people something to look at while they are waiting 6 hours in line to get on big thunder mtn.

c) There are all sorts of outdoor organizations from NOLS and outwardbound to groups that go out on weekends and learn a "little bit about the outdoors and their relationship with christ"

d)Skyscraper window washer companys are always looking for people comfortable with heights. I have been told you pretty much write your own schedule too.

e)Perhaps RC.com could use a physisist to permantly answer the same questions over and over and over again about rope strength :)

8flood8

Mar 26, 2005, 2:20 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My buddy has a masters in chemical engineering.

he was working at ARG portable climbing wall for 7 bucks an hour with me, last year.

blueeyedclimber

Mar 28, 2005, 1:05 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Teaching is good, but It has taken me six years of teaching to get to a point to be financially able to take summers off. And that, is in part, due to my wife's salary. I took my first summer off ever this past summer and I am never working one again. It was great. Just be aware that most people will be working during the week, so you will want to branch out and find as many climbing partners as you can.

Josh

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook