Forums: Climbing Partners: US - South:
New at climbing and moving near Tallulah Gorge.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

noahleh

Mar 24, 2005, 2:43 AM
Post #1 of 10 (1710 views)
Shortcut

New at climbing and moving near Tallulah Gorge.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I started climbing like a couple months ago, and im looking for some people to climb with, maybe show me some Trad. climbing..., or just want to climb. some people in that area...Tallulah Gorge??

cutiger

Mar 26, 2005, 3:31 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Re: New at climbing and moving near Tallulah Gorge. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to the area. Never been to Tallulah, but from what I've read I don't think it is good for beginners as for the lack of lower grades and moderates too. Not sure about toproping there either. However, I do suggest checking out Curahee, seeing how it is not that far away. It has a very short approach, probably the shortest you'll find around these parts, and several good low grade and moderate pitches that are easily toproped. I go to Clemson and stay kinda busy during the week, but if you're lacking a partner on a weekend hit me up and I'll see what I can do. Good luck and be safe.

noahleh

Mar 28, 2005, 12:19 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah dude, I will definetly check Curahee out. Yeah man if you ever want to go climb and need a partner im down. I still think im going to try to check out the gorge just because im so close and it doesnt make a whole lot of sense to not at least check it out. Yeah man im not goin to know a sole up there for a while let alone someone who climbs so if you ever want or need a partner like i said im down.

saxfiend

Mar 28, 2005, 12:43 AM
Post #4 of 10 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been told that Tallulah Gorge is definitely NOT for beginners. Almost all the climbs are 5.10 and above, and very exposed multi-pitch (NO top-roping). Even the downclimb to the foot of the wall is hazardous. You have to get a permit from the rangers (I think only 20 per day are given).

I started climbing back in December and hope to be up to snuff by October for a Tallulah Gorge climbing trip that's planned by the Atlanta Climbing Club. If you live near Atlanta, considering joining this group, I've met some nice people and done some great climbing trips through ACC.

JL

reno

Mar 28, 2005, 12:55 AM
Post #5 of 10 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've been told that Tallulah Gorge is definitely NOT for beginners.

You've been told correctly. While there are a few 5.7-5.8 climbs in Tallulah Gorge, they are the exception, not the rule.

Also, they see lots of traffic... it's not uncommon to see three parties in line for Mescaline Daydream or Digital Delight, while the rest of the lines in the Gorge are open.

TG is not the place for beginners. Curahee (as mentioned), Lost Wall, etc. are better options for a new climber.

sgaskin

Mar 28, 2005, 4:21 AM
Post #6 of 10 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

personally, i love tallulah. ive climbed there a fair amount. find a partner who can lead 5.10 and your set. i highly reccomend getting on punk wave. its awsome. things are very exposed up there, and the scramble in can be fun, but tallulah is a beautiful place. make sure you check release dates for the river though, cause they dont let climbers in on those days. if you want a good pump go top rope the brick wall at curahee. youll get strong quick doing that once a week. enjoy north georgia climbing.

noahleh

Mar 28, 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #7 of 10 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, ive got some friends who can lead climb 5.10 for sure, I think i will probably stick with curahee for a while. From almost everyone ive talked to around here they say its alot of Trad in the Gorge and in most of North Georgia. Im going to live in Cornelia, I probably be alot closer to alot of this stuff. If you know of any other good spots out and around this area let me know. thanks

mainlinel3tdown

Mar 29, 2005, 3:38 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tallulah is possibly one of the worst crags for beginers. The trail in is pretty sketch. There are very few lines under 5.10 and all of them are still pretty stout. Most of the routes are at least two pitches and all trad. There is no sport climbing or bouldering in the gorge. Check out curahee and yonah, both are great for beginers with lots of toprope options. Good luck...

Partner rrrADAM

Apr 6, 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm back in the Area (Clemson, SC) and I particularly like some of Curahee for a short day of climbing.

I have the next 4 days off, but unfortunatley thay are calling for rain Th and Fr, so maybe Sa or Su will work. Shoot me a PM if you wanna climb.\

That goes for you too Rivers... I'll climb with you again anytime.

whiteflash

Apr 7, 2005, 5:40 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You need to be a strong 5.10 leader for most of those Tallulah Gorge 10s. Many of the lines are bold and facey. The easier stuff is commiting as well. That being said, it's my favorite crag in Ga. And I've only seen one other party there in all the times I've been.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook