Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Conditions in the Tetons in early June?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

scruff

Mar 30, 2005, 6:19 PM
Post #1 of 8 (4351 views)
Shortcut

Conditions in the Tetons in early June?  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: Grand_Teton_NP)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning a one week trip to the Tetons in early June with some friends. We're looking for routes in the class 4 to 5.6 range, and enjoy climbing a mix of rock, snow and ice.

I climbed a few routes in the park last summer, and I have Ortenburger's guidebook, so I can come up with climbs that sound good, but I don't know what condition they would likely be in in early June. Any advice on which routes to seek out or avoid at that time of year, and 'consolation prizes' to fall back on if it decides to snow would be greatly appreciated.

Is the snowpack heavy this year?

Thanks!

scruff

Mar 31, 2005, 5:24 PM
Post #2 of 8 (4351 views)
Shortcut

Re: Conditions in the Tetons in early June? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No thoughts from anyone? I guess the Tetons are unpredictable.

Are routes like the skillet glacier likely to be soft snow, neve or ice at that time of year? Will I be wanting pickets or screws if I need an anchor?

mbg

Mar 31, 2005, 5:47 PM
Post #3 of 8 (4351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last I heard, that part of the Rockies has had less than average snow receipts this year but in early June you'll still likely be dealing with mostly snow on routes like the Skillet. Good ice doesn’t usually start getting exposed until mid or late summer. I wouldn't bother with too many pickets, though, there should be plenty of options for (better) rock pro.

scruff

Mar 31, 2005, 6:44 PM
Post #4 of 8 (4351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, mbg! That is quite helpful.

aulwes

Mar 31, 2005, 7:12 PM
Post #5 of 8 (4351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My buddy and I are looking at going to the Tetons June 18th - the 25th. The plan is to climb Exum Ridge, then see how we feel then climb North Face. What do you reccomend as the best guide book to help us stay on route?

mbg

Mar 31, 2005, 7:20 PM
Post #6 of 8 (4351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Ortenburger/Jackson book is one of the best guides ever written with tons of route and historical info. There is a "50 classics" guide by Rossiter, I think, but I'd recommend throwing down a few more bills for the big one.

Needless to say, the Grand is the busiest peak in the park by far; if you've got time for several routes think about checking out some of the other summits.

wilcox510

Mar 31, 2005, 7:47 PM
Post #7 of 8 (4351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aulwes - gotta love that iowa climbing! i went to the u of iowa and spent many a day at wild iowa, then later moved to the tetons (maybe you'll make the same choice while you're there) ditto the ortenburger book suggestion. the exum is great (particularly the lower exum). never did the north face, never appealed to me much. its beautiful but i dont think its all that great of a rock climb. the north ridge is supposed to be a much better climb from people i know who have done both. there are tons of routes around there i'd do before the north face personally, but like i said i havent done it and it is supposed to be a great adventure. i'll be psyched to hear what you thought of it. good luck

scruff

Mar 31, 2005, 9:50 PM
Post #8 of 8 (4351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aulwes-- i climbed the upper exum last summer, and may try the lower exum this year. it was crowded but fun. the ortenburger book is great, but routefinding for the start of the upper exum (in the dark) was tricky (don't ask how long it took us just to get to wall street!). after wall street it wasn't bad.

if you are doing it in two days and get to your bivy early, you might want to scout the start of the route in the daylight.

have fun!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook