Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Skinner's Butte in Eugene Question
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

kb1dqh

Apr 4, 2005, 1:32 PM
Post #1 of 11 (5758 views)
Shortcut

Skinner's Butte in Eugene Question  (North_America: United_States: Oregon: Willamette_Valley: Skinners_Butte_Columns)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to rock climbing; done more glacier mountaineering and some ice climbing. As a result I'm hoping to do some good top rope climbs to get into it. Are there top rope opportunities at Skinner's Butte? Are there bolts up top or trees? Also, if I get there noon on a Sunday in April/May, where I be able to find a spot to put a rope? I realize this is a specific question, just hoping to get some beta. Thanks! -kb

papi

Apr 4, 2005, 9:35 PM
Post #2 of 11 (5758 views)
Shortcut

Re: Skinner's Butte in Eugene Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to live in Eugene, in fact I started climbing at Skinners Butte. If I remember correctly, you can walk/scramble up the left side and there are bolts all along the column tops for tr/lowerouts. If you're really interested, pm me for a copy of the guide book I found at the University athletic dept.
Ahh, Good Ole Eugene, many memories from the High St. Cafe.
Is that place still around?

onbelay510

Apr 4, 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #3 of 11 (5758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are bolt anchors at the top of all of the routes. There's also an access trail up the left side. This site has a pretty good route guide, I haven't seen the University one.

korntera

Apr 4, 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #4 of 11 (5758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes there are bolts on the top, pretty much any local will be able to tell you what route you are on, although i have never seen a guidebook for with skinners in it(last i heard it was out of print.) But yes if you hit up skinners at that time you "should" be able to find a place for a rope, all of us eugenites(?) will be at smith, flagstone or callahans! PM me if you ever want to go climbing. I think i am heading to skinners tuesday morning.

kb1dqh

Apr 5, 2005, 10:46 AM
Post #5 of 11 (5758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the help! Sounds like a fun place to go, and I should be there on Saturday if it's not raining too much. I'm actually at Willamette up in Salem, so I'm not sure if the Cafe is there or not.

skymeat

Apr 11, 2005, 4:33 PM
Post #6 of 11 (5758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The River House has the most comprehensive guide. The book "rock climbing southwest oregon" by Greg Orton has an okay section (but the book has so many typos and bad info on other areas I wouldn't drop the 30$). I read somewhere(?) that it is the most contrived climbing area in the world...I go there often. If you don't mind watching the numerous "trainwrecks to be" it's short but enjoyable.
Yesterday I watched a guy halfway down a rap ask his parter "is this my brake hand?" then proceded to belay his parter by grabbing the rope, no harness, belay device, or a body belay (I offered to give them a real belay, or show them how not to kill thenselves)!!! This is one example of an almost daily occurance there. That's not even close to the worst!

davidji

Apr 11, 2005, 4:49 PM
Post #7 of 11 (5758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The River House has the most comprehensive guide. I read somewhere(?) that it is the most contrived climbing area in the world.
I've climbed there a few times, and never seen a guidebook or topo, so it wasn't contrived for me. I can see it though: it lends itself to "this crack is on, that one is off" routes.

Anyway I've always enjoyed Skinner's Butte, although basalt often looks like it will be more fun than it actually is.

smeeso

Jul 11, 2005, 9:27 PM
Post #8 of 11 (5758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The High street is still around and in full affect, drain pints there on a regular basses, big ups to Lane (brewing god)

Kironkid

Apr 8, 2009, 6:34 PM
Post #9 of 11 (3834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smeeso] Skinner's Butte in Eugene Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What and where is the River House? I'm interested in the Skinner Butte guidebook.

Thanks
Kiron Kid

herbaltee

Apr 25, 2009, 1:03 PM
Post #10 of 11 (3773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kironkid] Skinner's Butte in Eugene Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stop by the Outdoor Program at the University of Oregon. It is in the basement of the EMU (Student Union). We have a copy of the guidebook for the Willamette Valley.

dave172

Sep 26, 2010, 12:22 PM
Post #11 of 11 (3191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [herbaltee] Skinner's Butte in Eugene Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just moved to Eugene and stopped by Skinner's Butte. They now have an informational sign with a picture of the face along with all the routes, route names, and grade on it so there is no need for a guidebook. Just look at the sign, then look to your left and check out the crag.

David

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$13.46 (10% off)
$80.06 (10% off)
$6.84 (10% off)
$10.76 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook