RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

sarahann

Jun 29, 2002, 3:04 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1831 views)
Shortcut

hand workout sans-climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey,

Just wondering what everyone does to strengthen their hands in between climbs? This seems to be my biggest problem when working on problems, but I dont want to overdue it and hurt one of my fingers.

cheers!

jconcannon

Jun 29, 2002, 3:11 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1829 views)
Shortcut

hand workout sans-climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A hangboard will work wonders. Also, an old tennis ball seems to strengthen the forearm.

Good luck

r1skate

Jun 29, 2002, 3:49 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best thing is to climb every day or as much as you can. Find some close boulders, even if they are not too hard, and just hit them for half and hour 5 - 6 times a week or more. Trust me. I climbed every day for over a year. It works great! If you want to strenthen your arms and hands then try this. Hold the wall and bend over so your arm is fully extended and you are bent over about half way. Then put your feet out in front of your body and push against your arm. You can pull in to the wall, but you have to oush as hard as you can with your legs. It should take about 10 seconds before your arm is all the way in. The key is to push with your legs. Do this 5 times. The first one should be ahrd and by the 3rd one it should be pretty hard. The last two should be hard and the last should be done so that you are just about at your end by the time you finish it. You can do it opened handed or crimp the wall or close yopur hand or however to help strenthen your fingers, but the climbing will take care of hand strength. Remember to climb routes that are easy for you and hard for you and with different types of holds amd long and short routes. As long as you climb you will get stronger. You may not get bigger for a long time, but your core strength and climbing will just get better.

jono13

Jun 30, 2002, 5:21 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, a tennis ball or a forearm trainer ring work really good. finger board work well to, not only do they strengthen hands, but fingers, forearms tri's etc. now if ur talking by keeping ur hands warm in between climbs when your at the crags? pair of mits, it works really well, and keeps your tendons and fingers warm. but im pretty sure u werent asking about that

elmohoof

Jun 30, 2002, 6:33 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hand strengthening is what happens to me naturally when my wife gets a headache.

jono13

Jun 30, 2002, 6:40 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sarahann

Jul 1, 2002, 8:39 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the advice!
I dont have anywhere to put a hangboard right now, so I'll have to try some of the other suggestions.

cheers,
sarahAnn

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook