RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

Partner coylec

Apr 6, 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1462 views)
Shortcut

Questions regarding highline setups
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been playing with modelling some "highline" setups, but have reached an impasse caused by lack of knowledge of highline setups. I am particularly interested in modelling setups where the walking line is also used as protection against a fall (i.e. the highline spaces a distance over open air where one could not simply "land" on the ground (and survive)).

First, what is used as the line? All the slacklines I've encountered have been climb- or mil-spec tubular nylon webbing, however, I have heard that highlines use dynamic climbing rope inside the nylon webbing? Is this is normal practice for highlines or is another method used?

Second, for a highline, how is the walking line attached to the anchors? And how is it kept under tension?

Third, when walking a highline, I have seen various methods for attachment to the walking line. How is the climber's harness connected to the walk line? (Specifically, what are the pieces in the chain, is the length of rope used static or dynamic, what is the length, et al.) I'm assuming the connection pont between the tether/leash is a carabiner (locking). Additionally, when a climber falls, does this carabiner remain at the point of the fall, or does it slide towards the center of the walking line? (i.e. does the friction of the carabiner under weight prevent the line from reaching equilibrium)?

I understand that these are basic questions for someone familar with highlines, and if additionall information is necessary to create an accurate model of the forces involved during fall, please let me know. Additionally, if I am using incorrect terminology, please correct me. This information is to be used in writing an analysis of dynamic falls on highlines for both my personal edification and for posting on rockclimbing.com. I also feel that this analysis will answer the question of "How much force does falling onto the line create?" that Eric Matthes leaves unanswered on his website.

Thank you in advance.

coylec

enjoimx

Apr 6, 2005, 11:31 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1462 views)
Shortcut

Re: Questions regarding highline setups [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am assuming the numerous other posts on this subject did not give you the information you wanted, otherwise you wouldnt have started a new thread correct?

Various methods are used for highlines. A good one is to thread 9/16'' webbing through 1'' tubular, then back that up with another piece of 1''tubular taped under the main line. Tension the threaded line to your desired tension, and hand tighten the backup 1'' tubular line.

Connect to the line using a piece or two of 1'' tubular or using a long runner, length is personal preference.

Huge amounts of force are generated, and the tighter your line, the greater the forcec (obviously). Remember to have BOMBER anchors, preferably 3 large bolts (minimum) in solid rock on both sides, ,or a really strong tree or boulder.

You could also probably connect to the line with some static cord.

How you go about tightening the line is a whole 'nother ball game, and one I am not 100% sure on yet.

Good luck have fun.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook