Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Tenaya Creek Canyon
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

iltripp

Apr 7, 2005, 12:55 AM
Post #1 of 6 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Tenaya Creek Canyon  (North_America: United_States: California: Yosemite_National_Park: _Park_Overview_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone ever hiked all the way up tenaya creek canyon?

I've gone up around the hidden falls area, but I've always wanted to see what I could find the rest of the way up. Do you hit a solid rock wall, a scree pile, or something else?

I've heard many things: that it's dangerous, haunted, etc, but I've never talked to anyone who has gone up there.

couloir

Apr 7, 2005, 2:16 AM
Post #2 of 6 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tenaya Creek Canyon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hiking up tenaya canyon isn't a very good way to go. But in the summer you can hike down it from Tuolumne. The approach is on the way to Sunrise and you'll need a rope to make some rappels.

climb2005

Apr 7, 2005, 6:12 AM
Post #3 of 6 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

delete

lambone

Apr 7, 2005, 6:39 AM
Post #4 of 6 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto on going down as opposed to up. My friend claims it is one of the greatest things he has done. He advises go at low water, like in the fall.

iltripp

Apr 7, 2005, 4:35 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Here you go...

Route info

That's perfect.... thanks.

Although it sort of kills the routefinding aspect... Maybe I'll forget I read that.

eamonn

Apr 21, 2005, 9:33 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tenay Creek Canyon is great!! Just go in the fall when the water is low (especially with all the snow this winter).

I can never really remember how to get there, usually just head out from Sunrise trail head at west end of Tenaya lake, following the most right trail and once I've crossed a few washes I turn left into one and cross country toward the high point (usually Clouds Rest) you'll be in the canyon soon enough. The top section is SWEET! Really easy hiking, some cool geography and great views, even a nice place to camp above the falls.

The falls can be tricky to descend. I have done it to river right involving some rappells including one very dicey one and then scramble down the creekbed. A friend of mine did it with me once to the right, then went river left on another trip and said that it is class 3-4 walkdown but significantly faster and easier. After that it a whole lot of iron crosses to drop in between large boulders and some loose creekbed gravel and your home.

Expect to take anywhere from 5-10 hours depending on travel speed and scenery taking in. Hardest part is getting out of the valley to your car when you look like a train wreck.

TCC is a place where if you get hurt you are in trouble. There is no cell reception and there is the VERY REAL possibility of some large rocks falling on you or twisting/breaking an ankle. Move carefully, expect to get wet, cold, hot and hungry and take plenty of water or iodine to drink what you find.

Other than it's a blast.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook