RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

grigrigirl78

Jun 29, 2002, 2:27 AM
Post #1 of 14 (3757 views)
Shortcut

City of Rocks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey great Canadian girl headed to the City of Rocks 1st week in August, let me know of any other great spots.

fingerjam

Jun 29, 2002, 3:23 AM
Post #2 of 14 (3757 views)
Shortcut

City of Rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The cheese walls. There is a bolted 5.9 (storm cheese) which is fun, and you can top rope swiss cheeze (5.7). Not very technical, but fun. Buy a guide. Have fun
laterz

alpinerocket

Jun 29, 2002, 5:49 PM
Post #3 of 14 (3757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try Lots of Fun, Jacksons Thumb, Intruding Dike, Cruel Shoes, Many Others Definatley buy a guide. Also check out the Salt Lake area

rock_diva

Jun 30, 2002, 5:22 AM
Post #4 of 14 (3757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bumblie Wall is a lot of fun... also Just Get Over It on the Cannibal Corrider is a must! There's lots of climbing in Idaho... Massacre Rocks by Twin FAlls is one of the best sport areas.

dustinap
Deleted

Jun 30, 2002, 5:46 AM
Post #5 of 14 (3757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tony Calderone's guide book for City of Rocks is the best guide book I've ever seen for climbing. Alot of good pictures.

angluke

Jul 1, 2002, 1:12 PM
Post #6 of 14 (3757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Elephant Rock, The Bread Loaves and Bath Rock all have some classic single pitch trad and sport routes. There are several multi-pitch classics throughout the area. I think you can buy a "hit list" type guide to the area. You can scramble to the top of Bath Rock on the back side and catch the sunset, very cool. Have fun!

k9rocko

Jul 1, 2002, 2:07 PM
Post #7 of 14 (3757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be aware.... some routes require two ropes to descend. Personally, I really liked Delay of Game, but you should definitely wear a brain bucket. A girl died there last month on a leader fall. The helmet could have saved her...

Have fun!!!

rocknpowda

Jul 1, 2002, 3:13 PM
Post #8 of 14 (3757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IT'S ALL GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plan on seeking shade in August (there is usually always at least one side of every formation in the sun except right at midday).

Also be prepared for rain. The City has its own weather patterns and afternoon T-storms are fairly common.

Like someone else mentioned. Salt Lake is 3 hours south and has a ton of climbing on 3 or 4 different kinds of rock.

climbercam

Jul 2, 2002, 1:24 AM
Post #9 of 14 (3757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the shady side of Pocatello on your way down as a fun warmup. (Sunny side is bolted and has harder routes, but may be too hot) Tons of topropes that can be set up within 5 minutes of finding a parking space. You'll drive right by so it would be a shame to miss. Check out the link below. If that doesn't work just search for pocatello climbing. You can download high quality FREE guides for this area and massacre rocks.

http://www.isu.edu/outdoor/climbing/index.html

bwnco

Jul 10, 2002, 2:50 AM
Post #10 of 14 (3757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just came from there last week on way to home town. August man Id go to upper city, bread loaves and you can hit one side in morning shade and other side in evening shade. I personally liked bloody finger wall, bloody finger route was my fav. There a 5.8 right next to it thats fun and you can walk over to bloody finger bolts and rap with one 60 m rope, ( it lacks about 5 feet from hitting ground). First bolt on the 5.8 is damn near a death drop, but its not real tricky. Hows ur mental attitude ha ha, no be careful go get a guide book, have fun.....Bob

climbinganne

Jul 10, 2002, 4:34 AM
Post #11 of 14 (3757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dont do delay of game!!!!!!

i climbed with a few ppl that posted here, don't say a word john....don't do delay of game

it is run out
need to place 2 pieces first
move off the first (if you take the real route...to the side), on the rock by...norma's book...it's bad karma!!!!

if you do decide to do this route...pls wear a helmet!!!!

chick died...run out...helmet...good thing

ok ...beta

if you go off the rock as i did... place your pieces in the crack...dah!!! And the 1st move is a bitch!
go to first bolt, it is to the left

you will see the next bolt...WAY UP HIGH...that is the next bolt, don't go left to right trying to find another bolt...that is it.

at the first bolt stay to the right
at the second bolt stay to the right

at the third bolt left
and the rest to the right...carry an extra rope for rap and good luck, if i knew how to post pics...I'd show you the beautiful one I have from up there!!!

BTW 8 bolts two 60 m ropes figure it out!

I was freaked by recent incidents out there, I hope you have a GREAT time...and a safe and happy climb.

try to get campsite #43 size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: climbinganne on 2002-07-09 21:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: climbinganne on 2002-07-09 21:51 ]

jtcronk

Jul 10, 2002, 5:34 AM
Post #12 of 14 (3757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Remember that not everyone has the same perceptions, etc. Delay of Game is a great, fun, easy-moderate route. It isn't that run-out other than to the first bolt, and the climbing to that is very easy.

Other climbs to mention are Tribal Boundaries on Flaming Rock (10a sport), Thin Slice on Parking Lot Rock (10a trad), She's the Bosch (11a/b sport) on Window Rock-if it's open, Intruding Dike (.7 trad), Skyline (.8 trad) on Morning Glory Spire is a MUST-do too. Have fun!

climbinganne

Jul 10, 2002, 4:35 PM
Post #13 of 14 (3757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt....I was freaked...ever get freaked on a climb it sucks, yes the climb was not hard, but the bolts are 25 sucking feet apart, a girl had just died and i didnt have my helmet with me, my metal state was *ucked...hope you never know that panic!!!

and I am NOT a WUSSIE!!!!!

jtcronk

Jul 11, 2002, 4:48 AM
Post #14 of 14 (3757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey there, Climbinganne. I don't mean anything by my earlier comments. I was just saying that the route is good and well worth doing. Getting freaked out is part of climbing. It happens to all of us at some point or another. It's all perspective. I hope you didn't take offense. Keep on climbin'!

Jason

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook