Premier Sponsor:

kansasclimber

Apr 11, 2005, 3:36 AM
Post #1 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

*Whats important in LIFE?*
Report this Post
Can't Post

This question sorta just hit me. What the heck is important in life, and please take this post seriously. What would you tell someone or some teenager thats ruining thier life. I believe that climbers have a good sense in this this field. Becasue I do believe that being in the outdoors enlightens the spirt very much, and being able to remedy, like we all have out on top of a mountain is just... well, important in life. I would say that "Your blue might be gray." and in the context of that, that is is okay.
(this question also sort of hit me becasue of this man john that is missing.. I hope we find him.. god bless.)

Stephen

andrewbanandrew

Apr 11, 2005, 3:55 AM
Post #2 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

Re: *Whats important in LIFE?* [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Having fun while staying sane.

chanceboarder

Apr 11, 2005, 4:06 AM
Post #3 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good friends are important. whether it is giving you a belay, helping you move, making you laugh, or bailing you out of jail. always be a good friend to others and don't take them for granted.

sub-zero
Deleted

Apr 11, 2005, 4:31 AM
Post #4 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There isn't much to say, that's hard. Everyone has met someone who is ruining their life. There are so many ways to help people but it's different for each one. Just do what ever you can that way you know you did everything you could. Don't take on the task by yourself that's why you have friends and people to help you. And remember there's always those people that seem like you can never help them but you have to believe there's a way. Take him climbing do what ever it takes. I once heard something about there are only a couple words for failure and a lot for hope. So don't give up no matter what happens.

horseonwheels

Apr 11, 2005, 4:34 AM
Post #5 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
good friends are important. whether it is giving you a belay, helping you move, making you laugh, or bailing you out of jail. always be a good friend to others and don't take them for granted.

Very true. Everyone is missing something if they're not sharing their life with other people; be it friends, a significant other, family, children, etc.

walrus

Apr 11, 2005, 4:39 AM
Post #6 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being HAPPY.

skidawg

Apr 11, 2005, 5:23 AM
Post #7 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For some reason I myself have been thinking those thoughts over very thuroughly lately. We all have our reasons for these thoughts, I have mine, you have yours, each has his/her own level of emotions to a similar thing, so it's hard to make a general answer apply to all. I've found though that there are a few things that are important to me, and a few things that I need in life to keep me going when those things aren't present. Important things might be: love (whether that be family friends, relationships etc...), happiness, success in whatever you might do, and the ability to spread these things to others.
Things that I find important to me are: music, religion, loved ones (anyone you can connect with), and the outdoors. I find I get a lift when I either play or listen to music, but I only need music when I can't get outdoors. The outdoors are my favorite place to be. I love everything about it and the things you can do out there are all incredibly fun. There isn't any place else where I feel so connected, and peacefull.
Heh, and that all sounded pretty sappy now that I think about it, but I guess it makes sense to me.

"The next morning Bill and Long began their final descent, not yet knowing that the radio below was reporting that the monsoon was moving immediately onto the mountain. Bill fought his way through a white whirlwind, stumbling in the loose, freshly fallen snow. Long fell and got up, only to fall again. As Bill fell he drove his ice axe into the snow. Pulling himself up, he felt his way forward, tumbling earthward again. Again and again the two men fell...Finally, out of the whitness appeared the tents of Camp IV...He looked out and saw Everest standing far above him. He stopped and looked down at his feet. There, growing out of the broken, lifeless rock was a tiny flower. Suddenly, everything fit. Life in the midst of death. Peace in the midst of chaos. Joy in the midst of pain. Finally, life made sense. Everything, The transcendent unity of the universe. He did not see it or feel it or think it. He was it. He stood looking at a tiny wisp of a flower, a tiny wisp of life that was everything and nothing. And he laughed" Ascent by Laurence Leamer pg. 61

Sometimes you just have to look at all the simple little things to get the big picture.

This thing about John is extremely sad, I don't know him personally, but check up on it a a few times a day somedays. I really hope all is well with him....still in my prayers.

Justin B.

petsfed

Apr 11, 2005, 5:38 AM
Post #8 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Realizing that change is what defines existence, and only that which does not change from moment to moment gives us happiness. Realizing that we are the sum total of our experiences, but people remember us for what we do, not what we have done. Realizing that the world doesn't care what car you drive, what shoe you wear, or how hard you climb. Realizing that we all die and there is finality to it (even if you believe in reincarnation), and so we have to make the best of every life we're given. Realizing that karma is a fancy word for causality, and that the world exists on give and take. Realizing that we can't change some things, and those that we can, we should.

Partner baja_java

Apr 11, 2005, 5:42 AM
Post #9 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I believe that climbers have a good sense in this field. Becasue I do believe that being in the outdoors enlightens the spirt very much, and being able to remedy, like we all have out on top of a mountain is just... well, important in life.

climbers are well capable of fucked up values just like anybody else, fucked up attitudes, or plain whacked out of their minds. people who take themselves that seriously, who think they're "above it" just because they climb, please, do yourselves and the world a favor and rush to your nearest pharmacy for a double dose Rx of get-the-fuck-over-yourselves

outdoorclimber

Apr 11, 2005, 6:16 AM
Post #10 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Disclaimer: If you hate God/Religion, don't flame me for my beliefs.

Now, onto my opinion. I would have to say that for me my religion is the most important thing in my life. I find that the more I live my religion, the rest of my life seems to fall into place. I'm not altruistic about how I'm better than anyone else because of my religion and my belief in God; I'm probably not nearly as good as I should be, but my without my religion I know I would just be an alcoholic, and sex addict. Also, I have to definitely agree with the thought that being outdoors allows for more of a "spiritual connection." I find that the outdoors are as therapeautic as being in church. Everything just seems to fall away and become insignifcant when compared to the greatness that is God and Mother Nature.

epic_ed

Apr 11, 2005, 6:28 AM
Post #11 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

epic_ed moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epic_ed moved this thread from General to Community.

din

Apr 11, 2005, 7:56 AM
Post #12 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good rectal health.

Partner climbinginchico

Apr 11, 2005, 8:34 AM
Post #13 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Respiration.

hangerlessbolt

Apr 11, 2005, 11:49 AM
Post #14 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The gift of it

The fact that we all get the opportunity

Pretty fucking sweet

Partner rockrat511

Apr 11, 2005, 11:57 AM
Post #15 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The opportunity to give your love.

Partner jammer

Apr 11, 2005, 12:53 PM
Post #16 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A smile on a childs face.
To have someone that really loves you for who you are.
To be able to help a stranger in need.
To pass on the joy that you have experienced.
To have real friends.
To make a possitive impression in anothers life.

These are just starters ...

Partner tradman

Apr 11, 2005, 12:57 PM
Post #17 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Absolutely nothing.

kansasclimber

Apr 11, 2005, 1:30 PM
Post #18 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Really good stuff posted so far! Makes me feel good just reading them. I would also have to put in the quote,
"Never let your memories be larger than your dreams."

And also as much as people have said it. God bless your friends, they matter so much in life. Hope we find john soon.

Stephen

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook