Forums: Climbing Information: General:
July 4th, traveling by air: Gear Concerns?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

miagi

Jul 1, 2002, 10:08 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2321 views)
Shortcut

July 4th, traveling by air: Gear Concerns?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone,
Im going to Hawaii by air on the 4th, and as everyone knows, July 4th is going to be maxed out with security precautions. Im asking all of your opinions on what I should do. If you think I should not bring any of the following then please tell me. If you had bad experiences with security after 9/11 with your gear, then also add your comments.

Im bringing 10 draws,4 lockers,2 harnesses,2 pair of shoes,chalk & bag, webbing, thin 10.2 x 130 ft rope, and belay and rappel devices. It is all compacted very small and I will be carrying it all in an internal frame backpack as my carry-on.

Should I just put a bunch of my clothes on my carry-on, and put my gear in the main luggage to prevent any mishaps? Im traveling with family and friends and really dont want to be the one to hold up the whole family vacation

Secondly, should I take out the internal frame from my backpack? They are thin rods and security might say they are weapons but I dont know......

[ This Message was edited by: miagi on 2002-07-01 22:11 ]

ktwo

Jul 1, 2002, 10:19 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2321 views)
Shortcut

July 4th, traveling by air: Gear Concerns? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Be sure you carry the chalk in the original container so that it isn't just some random "white powder". For some reason, they find that kinda bad.

addiroids

Jul 1, 2002, 10:33 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, all this should go in the "Checked" luggage:

Chalk, Nut Tool, Hooks, anything even remotely sharp (frame stays also), Cocaine, Pitons, Weed, Steroid syringes, high caliber automatic weapons.

(Climbing tools in bold for clarity)

So most of that list is supposed to steer you in the right direction. Don't even carry on fingernail clippers. They are pretty tight about anything. Yeah, like stop a pasty white dude with nail clippers while Achmed Abulladabli gets through with 20 pounds of C4 (not the clean aid rating) in his towel on his head because he wasn't picked in the random checks. Some system.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

atg200

Jul 2, 2002, 7:19 AM
Post #4 of 14 (2321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check your gear - you won't get to take it through. i fly every single week and often check my climbing gear, and have never had a problem.

howitzer

Jul 2, 2002, 7:27 AM
Post #5 of 14 (2321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Although it stinks, since airlines have a habit of losing luggage, you will have to check all those things, especially on the 4th since they seem to think we're gonna get hit again. We all know the terrorists are much smarter than that. Take heart in the fact that most airports do not detect 1 in 4 weapons at security points, though!

doosh

Jul 2, 2002, 7:36 AM
Post #6 of 14 (2321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take some chalk and smear it up under your nose.

When they ask you to please come with them, say "What ? WHY ???"

dannymccracken

Jul 2, 2002, 7:45 AM
Post #7 of 14 (2321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Put your gear in the CHECKED luggage. Do NOT have any metal in your carry-on. You will be pulled for additional checks if unusual metal shapes shows up on a scan.

I assume that you will have to make one least one connection. May sure that you leave plenty of time between your connecting flights. "Lost" luggage is usually just delayed because it missed a connection that you made. The more time you have between connections the more likely it is that your checked luggage with also make the connection.

atg200

Jul 2, 2002, 7:51 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reports of airlines losing luggage are greatly exaggerated. I've been on over a hundred flights in the last year and a half, and I've had a grand total of one bag not meet me at the baggage claim - and that was delivered to my hotel a few hours later. I never had a lost bag in the previous ten years of regular flying either.

If you are still paranoid about gear loss, renter's or homeowners insurance should cover it, and the credit card you use to buy your plane ticket with may have some protection(my American Express card does for exmaple).

pumpkin_man

Jul 2, 2002, 7:53 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

few weeks ago, i moved from London to MN...
i packed all my gears into my rucksack...
and then, i was blocked from the US custom in Toronto...
there was an officer who seems quite professionally on his job...
he asked: what are those gears for?
i said: for climbing, SIR.
he asked again: climbing? what climbing?
i said: rock climbing?
and he asked: what is rock climbing?
(oh come on! officer!
give me a break, would you?)

can someone be kind to tell me
how to answer this "professional" question?

bouldertoad

Jul 2, 2002, 7:27 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check your climbing gear and as far as the stays in your backpack I seriously doubt they will do anything about them. I just flew to Italy and back with an internal fram pack as my carry-on with no problems. And as far as security missing things the person I was flying with forgot to take her swiss army knife off of her key chain and we made it through the philly airport and london security twice. It is all hit or miss...The security is just to try and make you believe you are safe..

beyond_gravity

Jul 2, 2002, 7:35 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've taken Single stay Arc'Teryx pack on carry on 8 times now...never had a problem. Have you ever looked at them when they are scanning? they arn't even paying attension to whats going threw!

miagi

Jul 2, 2002, 8:48 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well then, 1 in 4 weapons are discovered? See you guys in the after life

Hopefully i'll be able to write back to you guys after the 15th when I supposedly return.

lightboi

Jul 3, 2002, 2:59 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last summer I was flying to MPLS to Stockholm with a stopover in Iceland. I checked my whole trad rack 'cept a few cams that needed fixin. So there I am fixin trigger wires at 30000' and the air crew freaks out. Took my cams and tools, even took the tools that the computer geek next to me was carrying. There were many BIG BIG Icelanders waiting for me at the airport. I explained what cams were and even showed their use. They let me go. They kept the cams. I missed my connecting flight. My baggage with the rest of the rack was waiting for me in Stockholm.

I cannot even imangine what the reaction would of been with todays "Sky is fallin" mentality. Id check your gear and not depend on finding understanding customs/police, who happen to be holding your passport and carrying guns.

the fool that i am
josh

micahmcguire

Jul 3, 2002, 3:08 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2321 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took about two hundred pounds of gear on a trip this last christmas, no problems. Don't worry about it, unless you are bringing something illegal you won't be hassled beyond what might be expected for any normal person

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook